These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 08-21-2017, 05:31 PM   #41
always40

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjf View Post
Agreed. I really hope this happens soon. Especially if he hooked up with a producer like Lanois and did outside the DMB sound

At this point I have zero interest in another DMB album
I know Lanois has been discussed quite a bit in the past, but for some reason I've been watching videos about Lanois lately and was thinking again that Dave really should work with him at some point. Obviously Dave has given him the nod of appreciation with the cover songs he's done. I agree that a Dave solo album with Lanois could be special. I'm also more interested in a Dave solo album at this point than anything else. I mean if the band worked with Lanois I'd be down for that as well!

To the original topic, I think when Dave and Lillywhite touched base after all those years it was initially to sit down and record a bunch of their b-sides (I think)...and it turned into away from the world. I wouldn't mind Lillywhite being in charge of a b-sides album of theirs. I really had no problem with the direction of away from the world either honestly as I felt like it put them on solid footing for a change.

It's really hard to come up with what I'd like to see from the band ongoing though. I kind of thought Jeff would feature more prominently than he has in new songs, but that hasn't been the case so far. I wouldn't mind seeing more looser jam type songs from them, but they've moved so far away from their original sound it's hard to imagine that happening. I'm not opposed at all to a new sound from them, but I think they've really struggled to find a new sound that works for them as a band.
always40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 11:56 PM   #42
greykitkat36

Quote:
Originally Posted by always40 View Post
I agree that a Dave solo album with Lanois could be special. I'm also more interested in a Dave solo album at this point than anything else. I mean if the band worked with Lanois I'd be down for that as well!

I wouldn't mind Lillywhite being in charge of a b-sides album of theirs. I really had no problem with the direction of away from the world either honestly as I felt like it put them on solid footing for a change.

I'm not opposed at all to a new sound from them, but I think they've really struggled to find a new sound that works for them as a band.

I pretty much agree with everything you said. Lanois is a great producer and I think he could take a similar vibe to the Some Devil album (which I think was Dave trying to go for a more Lanois-type feel) and he could really take it to another level, and probably push Dave to go outside his comfort zone.

At this point, I really don't think we're going to get a B-Sides album ever. If we do, ,my guess it will be more like scraps and demos being put together to create a compilation of the B-Sides rather than a fully realized album like Busted Stuff was. I just think they've been talking about doing that for years now and the fact that it's never happened just doesn't make me optimistic they're going in that direction.

As much as I love Lillywhite, I really didn't like AFTW overall. It hasn't aged well, out of the songs on the album they play live... they have NOT translated well into the live setting and none of them have really evolved. The album really doesn't sound cohesive to me at all, and it sounds more like Dave solo songs that he pieced together and just threw the rest of DMB on top of. The lyrics lack depth and are mostly trite and forced. I don't put all the blame on Lillywhite for that stuff, but I just think it wasn't the best move to go back and try and repeat the past by hiring back a producer from 12+ years ago. They are a different band now--totally different lineup and sound and they need a different guy.

Agreed that I'm also very surprised how limited of a role Jeff has played in terms of the new material in 3.0. He barely has any solos and plays a lot of cheesy horn lines with Rashawn. He has some cool moments--Bismarck, Snow Outside, LITHOG, BBN..but overall he's been really tamed back.

I also agree the band has not found a new "Sound" or "direction" really. The newest stuff mainly sounds like a band that doesn't really know where they are going or what they want to do sonically or musically. Hopefully some time away from each other and making music with other musicians and collaborations will spark some ideas when they do come back together. Cavallo seemed to be a step in the right direction, and maybe with another go at it, he can really do some magic. However, the new songs from last summer are apparently from those new sessions with Cavallo, and I can't say I'm all that excited about any of them. I was last year when they were fresh, but I have no interest in listening to them even if they are fresh studio recorded versions. It's probably not good to continually switch producers all the time, but I think they should until they find the right person. Direction and focus is what they need the most right now.

I would really really like to see another full blown DMB album, but not if it's going to be filled with ballads and dad rock anthems. I only want them to release something if they're going to dig deep.
Old 08-22-2017, 07:49 AM   #43
attorney at law

Quote:
Originally Posted by greykitkat36 View Post

At this point, I really don't think we're going to get a B-Sides album ever. If we do, ,my guess it will be more like scraps and demos being put together to create a compilation of the B-Sides rather than a fully realized album like Busted Stuff was. I just think they've been talking about doing that for years now and the fact that it's never happened just doesn't make me optimistic they're going in that direction.
I would much rather have these raw scraps and leftovers, just cleaned up and mastered, than to have them go into the studio and re-record a bunch of old songs they didn't like enough the first time around. If they were to do that, it would almost be like a cover album, not a b-sides album. I want to hear what these songs sounded like when they were working on them, not how DMB 3.0 would play them now, 20 years later.
#41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 10:14 AM   #44
ThememanXX
Ichiro is the New Giancarlo

Banker Brokers Champion! Suduko Champion!
Tournaments Won: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jfaspen View Post
I'd like to see the band do even a short tour with a standardized preplanned setlist.
I know.. I know..

But I keep thinking back to the Coldplay show I saw last week. It was incredible. There was not a clunker song. The show was paced perfectly. The setlist spanned their entire catalog. Perhaps it was more of a production than a concert, but it's the most fun I've had at a live show in years.

I'd like to see DMB sit down and really put some effort into creating a master setlist. Maybe varying the encore. They could include videos of Roi, Butch, etc. Great songs.. In a great order. No show stoppers.. No Seven in a spot when the show is ready to take off and the air goes out of it.

I've seen DMB about 50 times. In that.. I think i've seen less than 10 shows that are nearly perfect start to finish. This would be different, but I'd be curious to see what it looks like.

I'm the polar opposite of this. I'd rather see a sloppy version of Last Stop or Drive In Drive Out than a flawless Crash or Grey Street for the 35th time.
handjob on the lawn during the encore saved it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
Who'd you jerk off?
ThememanXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 11:29 AM   #45
greykitkat36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jfaspen View Post
I'd like to see the band do even a short tour with a standardized preplanned setlist.
I know.. I know..

But I keep thinking back to the Coldplay show I saw last week. It was incredible. There was not a clunker song. The show was paced perfectly. The setlist spanned their entire catalog. Perhaps it was more of a production than a concert, but it's the most fun I've had at a live show in years.

I'd like to see DMB sit down and really put some effort into creating a master setlist. Maybe varying the encore. They could include videos of Roi, Butch, etc. Great songs.. In a great order. No show stoppers.. No Seven in a spot when the show is ready to take off and the air goes out of it.

I've seen DMB about 50 times. In that.. I think i've seen less than 10 shows that are nearly perfect start to finish. This would be different, but I'd be curious to see what it looks like.
That would be the absolute worst thing they could possibly do. Nothing screams nostalgia act like doing that. No thanks. And honestly for trying to suggest DMB try something that Coldplay does is like grounds for suspension from TDC.

And even if they tried doing that, we all know it would fall short. Daves master setlist would include stuff like death in high seas, sister, can't stop, etc. there's no way to span their whole career in a show and have 0 clunkers. The last 10+ years of material have been majority of clunkers
Old 08-22-2017, 11:33 AM   #46
Jayes
ISO Hello Again&Broken Things

Quote:
That would be the absolute worst thing they could possibly do. Nothing screams nostalgia act like doing that. No thanks. And honestly for trying to suggest DMB try something that Coldplay does is like grounds for suspension from TDC.
Jesus

Last edited by Jayes; 08-22-2017 at 01:12 PM.
Jayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 10:00 AM   #47
dancetheham

I think Carter should start playing the drums on the chorus of Idea of You in a way that's similar to the Coldplay's "Clocks."
dancetheham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 06:32 AM   #48
Aparker507

I'll agree Coldplay's AHFOD tour is an incredible thing to see, but don't agree they should go that route. Keep the setlists changing, and just PRACTICE the old songs the fans want to hear!
2003: Little Rock. 2005: Dallas. 2006: Dallas. 2007: Dallas. 2008: Dallas, Memphis. 2009: Dallas, Nashville, Little Rock. 2010: Dallas, Atlanta. 2012: Dallas. 2013: Southaven. 2014: Dallas. 2015: Rogers, WPBx2. 2016: Little Rock
Aparker507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 07:52 AM   #49
Tomacco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aparker507 View Post
I'll agree Coldplay's AHFOD tour is an incredible thing to see, but don't agree they should go that route. Keep the setlists changing, and just PRACTICE the old songs the fans want to hear!
Agreed.
Tomacco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 10:03 PM   #50
That's it, Sir.
I understand.

I'm not sure what to ask for from the group per se, maybe do something like play through full albums? (except for the obvious omissions i.e. SU, ED) I love the idea of remastering the LWS but I feel like the ship for the band to achieve anything truly great artistically has sailed. Personally, I feel that Dave has failed to reinvent himself as an artist (even once...let's face it, Some Devil was playing it pretty safe and he should commit to the piano or not but stop half assing it) or stay relevant as a writer. Also, I feel like this resentment and apathy that has kept them from doing what we all knew they were capable of is directly related to not taking the time for ideas to ferment and artists to grow. It's a shame they had to feed the machine or whatever and play Jimi Thing and Crash 10,000 times instead.

Cliffs, TL;DR: - call it quits
That's it, Sir. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 01:30 AM   #51
Christopher James

It's a good question, but if there's one thing we've learned over the last 25 years.. it's that they care little about their history, anniversaries, big moments to take advantage of, etc. The ONLY thing that's cool is if they do 2 or 3 nights they don't do repeats. That's impressive and takes at least a MODICUM of effort for Dave to sit there and make sure songs aren't repeated.

However, when they break up.. that'll be it. BUT -- Dave will be like a Neil Young type dude who will always be able to go out and play the acoustic guitar from now til he dies.
Old 08-26-2017, 01:40 AM   #52
greykitkat36

Quote:
Originally Posted by That's it, Sir. View Post
Personally, I feel that Dave has failed to reinvent himself as an artist (even once...let's face it, Some Devil was playing it pretty safe and he should commit to the piano or not but stop half assing it) or stay relevant as a writer. Also, I feel like this resentment and apathy that has kept them from doing what we all knew they were capable of is directly related to not taking the time for ideas to ferment and artists to grow. It's a shame they had to feed the machine or whatever and play Jimi Thing and Crash 10,000 times instead.

Cliffs, TL;DR: - call it quits
Damn, that's a super negative take. I think there's something to the whole "have to play our hits" mentality, but I think there's been flashes of potential and solid writing even recently, it just isn't consistent and often seems forced. Like Willie Nelson said, "You can't make a record if you ain't got nothing to say". And I think there's some truth to that. Don't just put out music to do it, put it out when it's worth a damn to you and means something. But even off the last few albums and new batch of songs from '15 and '16..there's still some good stuff in there, I really do think they need a specific person/musician/producer/collaborator to really bring it out and help facilitate it. Finding that person is the tough part though.

Springsteen struggled to put out a really solid record for more than a decade until he met Brendan O' Brien and came out with The Rising. That guy along with 9/11 (which gave him the motivation and inspiration to write) essentially reignited Springsteen's career. But from '88-'02, He only put out 3 albums of which "Ghost of Tom Joad was the only well received album of that era by the fanbase. 14 years before he really blew up again.

I see DMB kind of in that rut now. Since Big Whiskey they've just meandered. Doesn't mean they can't fall back on their feet again. And if you want to go back and say they've been mediocre since SU in '05, it's been 12 years. But I think I'd count Big Whiskey as a win due to it's commercial success and several songs from the album becoming live favorites. So, I'd say it's been 8 years since they've really put out anything "great". I'm certainly not counting them out.
Old 08-26-2017, 01:54 PM   #53
JamSession v2.0
Blue myself.

I hope they produce one more album before they call it quits. A true album that isn't mailing it in to fulfill a contract, but something that actually takes chances and might miss - but is honest and creative.
Old 08-27-2017, 02:14 AM   #54
greykitkat36

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamSession v2.0 View Post
I hope they produce one more album before they call it quits. A true album that isn't mailing it in to fulfill a contract, but something that actually takes chances and might miss - but is honest and creative.
I still think they're going to make a bunch more albums, I don't think they're calling it quits soon. Yes they took a break, but that's all I think it's really going to be based on the interviews I've read and what not. I think we'll see at least another 2-3 albums. Now, whether they are actually good..well, we'll have to hope.
Old 08-28-2017, 05:37 PM   #55
JamSession v2.0
Blue myself.

Quote:
I still think they're going to make a bunch more albums, I don't think they're calling it quits soon. Yes they took a break, but that's all I think it's really going to be based on the interviews I've read and what not. I think we'll see at least another 2-3 albums. Now, whether they are actually good..well, we'll have to hope.
We must have very different definitions on "a bunch"...
Old 08-28-2017, 05:44 PM   #56
roshea999
Now that's Oldstyle

Battleship Champion! Beer Dude 2 Champion! Space Invaders Champion!
you can sell me on a bunch = 2-3
roshea999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 05:47 PM   #57
JamSession v2.0
Blue myself.

"Hey man, I got a bunch of grapes to sell you."

"How much?"

"$4.99"

"Sounds like a good deal. Sure, I'll bite."

"What the fuck is this - 3 purple-red things on a stick?"

"Yeah, a bunch of grapes."
Old 08-28-2017, 11:03 PM   #58
greykitkat36

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamSession v2.0 View Post
"Hey man, I got a bunch of grapes to sell you."

"How much?"

"$4.99"

"Sounds like a good deal. Sure, I'll bite."

"What the fuck is this - 3 purple-red things on a stick?"

"Yeah, a bunch of grapes."

2-3 albums would be a lot for DMB ,considering they've only released 2 albums in the last 11-12 years. So I'd say for them that's a bunch
Old 08-29-2017, 01:30 AM   #59
DIDO36

Honestly, I would like to see them dump Rashawn and maybe Tim too and bring back Butch. It's been said many times, but loud and fast has been terrible.

Sets list has been an issue for the majority of 3.0 but the sound of the band has taken a big hit especally in the last few years. It gets worse and worse.
DIDO36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 11:33 AM   #60
roshea999
Now that's Oldstyle

Battleship Champion! Beer Dude 2 Champion! Space Invaders Champion!
JamSession

I have no interest whatsoever in seeing "DMB" again without Tim up there.

Rashawn? See ya.
roshea999 is offline   Reply With Quote

These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc