These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 08-17-2017, 07:42 AM   #21
Poth Ead
Stay boring my friends...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweeps View Post
The band needs to tone down their sound. Most of these suggestions are worthless if they continue to play almost everything at Mach 10.
i couldn't say it better myself
Poth Ead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 03:18 PM   #22
The Godfather
#COYR

Spotlight.

I would love it hear it live.
The Godfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 05:34 PM   #23
crazycreep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tambourine Man View Post
Once again, I think he should take Roi's advice and be a leader. That means making the tough decisions like dumping Rashawn.

Dave? And when did Leroi say this?
Old 08-17-2017, 05:37 PM   #24
roshea999
Now that's Oldstyle

Battleship Champion! Beer Dude 2 Champion! Space Invaders Champion!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycreep View Post
Dave? And when did Leroi say this?
Yeah. Dave wrote a letter to the band about a decade ago calling it quits. And Roi called him up like STFU, be a god damn leader you jackass.

And they didn't break up.

Someone else can probably explain it more accurately, but thats my memory of it. I believe it's in the Road to Big Whiskey Doc.

did a quick google search and this came up too [Only registered users can see links.]
roshea999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 05:40 PM   #25
roshea999
Now that's Oldstyle

Battleship Champion! Beer Dude 2 Champion! Space Invaders Champion!
I think my timeline is a little off. Roi said it before the letter.

Spoiler:
But by the middle of this decade, the group was losing its way. And before he died, Moore confronted Matthews:

"And he said, 'You know, you have to lead this band or else we're not going anywhere,'" Matthews said.

"So what was your reaction when he said that?" Mason asked.

"I said it's impossible to lead this group of people."

Instead, Matthews fired off a message saying he was finished.

"Sent everybody a letter - which was the very opposite of being a leader - and said, 'I can't handle it anymore.'"

"Why?"

"'Cause it just wasn't fun, you know, at that stage," Matthews said. "We were all not communicating. And everyone was sort of bitter."

"What were you bitter about?"

"Each other. It had nothing to do with the success or how grateful we were for the success that we had. We just weren't talking. If you're in a relationship with people, little things become big things. Big things become little things."

"What did you say in that letter?"

"I can't remember exactly what it was. But it was fairly final."

Mason asked Beauford what he thought when he got the letter.

"I thought he had lost his mind!" he laughed. "It's like, 'Where is this coming from?' There were some turbulent times, for years actually. But that's all part of it."

They talked over their differences and decided, as Lessard described it, "we weren't ready to get a divorce."

"But did you think about it?"

"Well, yeah, think about it. But then you remember how great it really is."

The band retreated to Haunted Hollow, house on 140 acres in the Charlottesville countryside that they converted into a studio. "We just wanted a place we could all concentrate," Matthews said. "It's far away, so people we bring out here to work with, they're like, 'Where the hell are we?'"
roshea999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 05:59 PM   #26
timh.
tasty.

releases of b-sides and unheard demos...

and i still wish they'd release the video of perdue university d&t from '03 that was recorded...
i timh.
and you can sig me on that.
timh. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 06:33 PM   #27
Yeedog
Heidi-ho Neighboreno

A tour with just the original 4 + Jeff.

Homer: All normal people love meat. If I went to a barbeque and there was no meat, I would say 'Yo Goober! Where's the meat!?'. I'm trying to impress people here Lisa. You don't win friends with salad.
Yeedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 06:34 PM   #28
crazycreep

Quote:
Originally Posted by roshea999 View Post
Yeah. Dave wrote a letter to the band about a decade ago calling it quits. And Roi called him up like STFU, be a god damn leader you jackass.

And they didn't break up.

Someone else can probably explain it more accurately, but thats my memory of it. I believe it's in the Road to Big Whiskey Doc.

did a quick google search and this came up too [Only registered users can see links.]
Thanks...thats crazy I never knew about this
Old 08-17-2017, 06:40 PM   #29
gweeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by roshea999 View Post
I think my timeline is a little off. Roi said it before the letter.

Spoiler:
But by the middle of this decade, the group was losing its way. And before he died, Moore confronted Matthews:

"And he said, 'You know, you have to lead this band or else we're not going anywhere,'" Matthews said.

"So what was your reaction when he said that?" Mason asked.

"I said it's impossible to lead this group of people."

Instead, Matthews fired off a message saying he was finished.

"Sent everybody a letter - which was the very opposite of being a leader - and said, 'I can't handle it anymore.'"

"Why?"

"'Cause it just wasn't fun, you know, at that stage," Matthews said. "We were all not communicating. And everyone was sort of bitter."

"What were you bitter about?"

"Each other. It had nothing to do with the success or how grateful we were for the success that we had. We just weren't talking. If you're in a relationship with people, little things become big things. Big things become little things."

"What did you say in that letter?"

"I can't remember exactly what it was. But it was fairly final."

Mason asked Beauford what he thought when he got the letter.

"I thought he had lost his mind!" he laughed. "It's like, 'Where is this coming from?' There were some turbulent times, for years actually. But that's all part of it."

They talked over their differences and decided, as Lessard described it, "we weren't ready to get a divorce."

"But did you think about it?"

"Well, yeah, think about it. But then you remember how great it really is."

The band retreated to Haunted Hollow, house on 140 acres in the Charlottesville countryside that they converted into a studio. "We just wanted a place we could all concentrate," Matthews said. "It's far away, so people we bring out here to work with, they're like, 'Where the hell are we?'"
They should call an album Haunted Hollow.
gweeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 06:46 PM   #30
Tambourine Man
now in Capshaw Blue

SPAC 2015 when they played Friend Of The Devil and everybody was following Bela....that was a great moment. There's a real musical director
Tambourine Man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 08:27 PM   #31
sdaltons

I think DOOF. Tim on lead and they could slow the pace down a little bit so Dave can sing

Obviously the b-side thing would be first priority

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smittay
but what if the DMB's GGT was a really GGT, then D&F's GGT wouldn't be such a GGT as DMB's GGT, WWYS?
sdaltons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 10:00 PM   #32
dmb1981

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Godfather View Post
Spotlight.

I would love it hear it live.
Always been near and dear that tune. Have liked it since the first time I personally heard it for the first time in '98 on some tape.
dmb1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 07:44 AM   #33
blumathu

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweeps View Post
They should call an album Haunted Hollow.
This would be a great name for an album of jams and unreleased stuff that has been recorded there. I'm assuming they won't go there to record a full new album again.
blumathu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 07:53 AM   #34
Jayes
ISO Hello Again&Broken Things

Unfortunately, although pieces of brilliance peek through from time to time, I do not believe the Matthews Band has another good record in them. So I'm hanging my hopes on another awesome DM solo record.

I'd love to see DOOF and Monkey Man. I'd love to see Butch come back and Rashawn fuck off. I'd love to see Dave get comfortable with Last Stop and YNK on the reg. I'd love another solid tour with minimal filler and somebody other than Dave writing the setlists each night. I'd love some setlist creativity and cheekiness.

That shit won't happen, though. So bring on the DM solo collaboration!
Jayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 10:57 PM   #35
Tambourine Man
now in Capshaw Blue

Dave will be good when he steps out of his comfort zone. Some people embrace pushing themselves into unfamiliar situations, but that's not Dave
Tambourine Man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 11:44 AM   #36
Aparker507

I want Carter to go back to the old school, double stack China kit. Watching a few past videos and man I miss the old non China every hit style.
2003: Little Rock. 2005: Dallas. 2006: Dallas. 2007: Dallas. 2008: Dallas, Memphis. 2009: Dallas, Nashville, Little Rock. 2010: Dallas, Atlanta. 2012: Dallas. 2013: Southaven. 2014: Dallas. 2015: Rogers, WPBx2. 2016: Little Rock
Aparker507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 11:56 AM   #37
Jfaspen
Burnin Dance

I'd like to see the band do even a short tour with a standardized preplanned setlist.
I know.. I know..

But I keep thinking back to the Coldplay show I saw last week. It was incredible. There was not a clunker song. The show was paced perfectly. The setlist spanned their entire catalog. Perhaps it was more of a production than a concert, but it's the most fun I've had at a live show in years.

I'd like to see DMB sit down and really put some effort into creating a master setlist. Maybe varying the encore. They could include videos of Roi, Butch, etc. Great songs.. In a great order. No show stoppers.. No Seven in a spot when the show is ready to take off and the air goes out of it.

I've seen DMB about 50 times. In that.. I think i've seen less than 10 shows that are nearly perfect start to finish. This would be different, but I'd be curious to see what it looks like.
No Referrals needed, complete free trials and get free stuff

http://www.trialclix.com/index.asp?refID=65464
Jfaspen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 11:57 AM   #38
Jfaspen
Burnin Dance

Also.. I'd like to see the lights go back to how they used to be. Just lights and effects. No videos of a butterfly in the background. That was one of the cool things about watching Phish play at MSG. It was amazing lighting, without the video background on nearly every song.
No Referrals needed, complete free trials and get free stuff

http://www.trialclix.com/index.asp?refID=65464
Jfaspen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 12:04 PM   #39
Fan#41

Homers Beer Run Champion!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jfaspen View Post
Also.. I'd like to see the lights go back to how they used to be. Just lights and effects. No videos of a butterfly in the background. That was one of the cool things about watching Phish play at MSG. It was amazing lighting, without the video background on nearly every song.
Fan#41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 03:35 PM   #40
mjf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayes View Post
Unfortunately, although pieces of brilliance peek through from time to time, I do not believe the Matthews Band has another good record in them. So I'm hanging my hopes on another awesome DM solo record.
Agreed. I really hope this happens soon. Especially if he hooked up with a producer like Lanois and did outside the DMB sound

At this point I have zero interest in another DMB album
mjf is offline   Reply With Quote

These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc