These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 06-13-2017, 05:31 PM   #61
buddha05
Gene Parmesan

Wasn't feeling it at the time, but understand and agree with the point in hindsight.

Partially off topic and to a post earlier, still surprised that they didn't drop a 96 or 97 D&T show via DMBlive ahead of the tour. I thought that was a sure bet. Luckily the LT41 will tide me over for a while.
buddha05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 05:33 PM   #62
Bluewater34
Is Old

Quote:
Originally Posted by celluloid hero View Post
I think between 42 and 43.
What do you know?
Old 06-13-2017, 05:49 PM   #63
Tomacco

The first couple weeks of the 07 tour were awful. Blossom that year was easily one of the worst shows I've ever been to, for the setlist alone. But Alpine was quite good, especially night 2, and the tour just kept getting better from there. And the tour ended on a high note which was nice. I would say the period from mid-August 2006 through mid-August 2007 was a bit of a low point for DMB, to say the least. ( Even though I had a blast at the Vegas shows. )
Tomacco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 07:24 PM   #64
ThememanXX
Ichiro is the New Giancarlo

Banker Brokers Champion! Suduko Champion!
Tournaments Won: 2

I'll say again, this is top 5 of the 57 shows I've seen. Great pick
handjob on the lawn during the encore saved it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
Who'd you jerk off?
ThememanXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 08:24 PM   #65
mrpeters
Lock it away inside myself...

No complaints for this one. Obviously lots of us want 10/2/2007 but this is a solid 2007 choice.

2007 was always a little weird because the tour started so late, but I had fun that year. I only saw Deer Creek and maybe 1 other that year though, and those were fun.
mrpeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 08:31 PM   #66
Klooner

Never heard this show, except for the IIHIA. The setlist is better than I expected, but won't be a buy. Let's put a '97 on the pile, please.
Klooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 08:34 PM   #67
Tomacco

The Facebook comments on this one aren't too enthused. One day it would be really interesting to see how all these LTs ranked in sales.
Old 06-13-2017, 08:45 PM   #68
Bluewater34
Is Old

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomacco View Post
The Facebook comments on this one aren't too enthused. One day it would be really interesting to see how all these LTs ranked in sales.
I'm not sure that this era of the band has too many fans, regardless of the quality of this show.
Old 06-13-2017, 09:45 PM   #69
Tomacco

Based on the homepage post on Ants, I would guess strongly that they had input on this pick.
Old 06-13-2017, 09:59 PM   #70
Tambourine Man
now in Capshaw Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddha05 View Post
That is fair.

I actually still remember that first show in 08 with Tim in Pittsburgh.
Maybe it was real, maybe it was just me but the energy of that night was just over the top. A feeling that I had not had at a show since 03 probably.
It wasn't really until Two Step (opener) n2 that I got excited. Night one was pretty rough. Boyd and Roi mailed it in big time. Still remember that Grey Street, Roi couldn't even solo
Tambourine Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 10:02 PM   #71
Tambourine Man
now in Capshaw Blue

Quote:
I was there in Pittsburgh and we all felt it. No doubt. Especially after Dave introduced him and he got about a minute straight applause.

I'm just saying that the year did finish on an uptick with the south and CA run, then the November east coast shows. There was reason to be optimistic. Sort of the opposite of 2006.
Based on two Hollywood shows? I'm not sure. 11/13/07 was good and I remember being pleasantly surprised by the April '08 D+T performance. I hope they release that Outback Steakhouse show
Old 06-13-2017, 10:27 PM   #72
celluloid hero

No. I said it started around the VT benefit almost a month earlier.
celluloid hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 10:38 PM   #73
SomeDevil17

Quote:
No. I said it started around the VT benefit almost a month earlier.
This is true. I was a freshman in college in 07/08. I listened to a lot of Dave Matthews Band then
SomeDevil17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 10:50 PM   #74
Christopher James

SUAD + Shotgun is worth the price of admission alone.
Old 06-13-2017, 11:06 PM   #75
SomeDevil17

06 was really pretty good for the beginning 2/3 of the tour and then the end of the tour they just sort of started looking like all the same sets (which has a tendency to happen) and then that tour kind of ended on a weird note with the knife incident in CVA. Which for some I think kills the vibe for 06, especially if they only caught shows out west that year or at The end in VA. 06 was cool though because a good amount of songs came back (last stop, JTR, Raven, dreaming tree), Ross was still new and we had Butch. Although we did get sister A LOT. I do remember that we started to hear rumblings of the band not in a good place towards the end of 06.

07- which it sounds like the band was all but broken up before those Vegas shows and Roi was not happy also was an interesting year. Although I have to say for the supposed state the band was in around those shows I really enjoy going back and listening to that LT from Vegas. And then yea as mentioned about the 07 tour had a weird format so I don't think the band ever really found their groove. You just have these couple runs of shows that are really great and then some that are average at best. I blame that on that on the band and what was happening with them at the time and the schedule for that summer.

Like CH said they definitely did start picking up steam again around that VA tech show and ended 07 on a pretty damn good note. I thought it was the strongest they had been since the beginning of 06. That 10-2-17 show with John Mayer is fantastic and one of my favorite shows to listen to. That Izod show isn't bad either. And then the rest is history with 08.

I know I lean towards the younger crowd on here I believe (28) but I have I have a lot of good memories with the band from 05-08 and those years often get shit on around here but I think that time period is just as important as any in the bands history (stand up included ) because it truly impacted where they are to this day. And I just really enjoy the sound of their music at that point. Really the last time we had any soulful jazz vibe.
SomeDevil17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 02:18 AM   #76
greykitkat36

'06 was truly awful The only thing that kept us going that year were all the new songs which all were actually really good and very well received from what I remember. IOY, Shotgun and Kill The King were really well received at the time. But performance wise the shows were NOT good overall. Dave's voice was at its worst and Rashawn started carving out more of a role which wasn't good either. He added a lot to songs like So Right at the beginning of '06 that we all like but he grew more annoying as the tour progressed and the "canned" horn stuff really started developing. '05-August'07 is hands down the worst the band has ever been and most people agree. September '07 they really turned it around and started firing on all cylinders again. The 11/13/07 GIG is one of the best ones of all time. Then '08 which doesn't need any more discussion there's no debate how fun and rejuvenating that year was, despite also being very tragic. Really from '08-'13 the band was on fire imo, and really started turning things in the right direction. The lack of quality new material combined with stale sets and everything really made '14-'16 really lackluster imo. The break was really needed hopefully it helps a little bit. /
Old 06-14-2017, 06:02 AM   #77
ThememanXX
Ichiro is the New Giancarlo

Banker Brokers Champion! Suduko Champion!
Tournaments Won: 2

I dunno. I enjoyed my two shows in '06.
handjob on the lawn during the encore saved it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
Who'd you jerk off?
ThememanXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 06:15 AM   #78
Tomacco

June and July 2006 were great. I also really enjoyed Randall's Island. But then the following show they debuted Dreamgirl and Die Trying. And I remember so many sets completely crammed with Dreamgirl, Sister, Smooth Rider, Hunger, Die Trying, and Can't Stop (which was truly garbage in 06). Then I remember Dave's voice going down the tubes (that WPB webcast comes to mind). And OSW and ED opening every show. And any good memories I have of this tour evaporate.

But credit where it's due, in June and July. We got a good amount of JTR, Last Stop, Dreaming Tree, Raven, Pig, and Proudest Monkey (it had been a few years). And IOY, KTK and Break Free were nice at the time. Though in retrospect I know our enthusiasm for those was doubled because of how bad SU was. It was more of a "there's still hope" feeling.
Old 06-14-2017, 08:06 AM   #79
Tambourine Man
now in Capshaw Blue

I remember that well. All the rare songs dropped off the sets and they debuted Dreamgirl. '06 didn't have a chance at that point
Old 06-14-2017, 09:36 AM   #80
batleon

Aside from the rarities I would say the band was playing pretty damn well in the first leg of '06 as well. I attended two shows during the first leg and one of the Randall's Island shows that had literally none of the rarities (unless you want to count So Right) and I thoroughly enjoyed them all because the band sounded good.

As far as this release goes I don't think it's for me personally, doubt I will buy it, but I do think this is a pretty inspired choice. Late '07 was much better than it gets credit for and this has some nice stuff that you can't find anywhere else which is usually all I ask for in a release pick.
batleon is offline   Reply With Quote

These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc