These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 12-14-2010, 08:02 PM   #161
Jack
Grand Army of Letters

Again, probably can't be overstated that the dude is worth 1/4 of a billion dollars. He's a planet away from playing watchtower in the streets of europe for food money. I'm not sure how we can expect him to not have sold out his core beliefs. What is real to him anymore?

Another child that's grown old
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 08:10 PM   #162
NiCK Crush

anybody got a light?
Old 12-14-2010, 08:18 PM   #163
Jack
Grand Army of Letters

Or a hunger for one?

Another child that's grown old
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 08:24 PM   #164
Fan#41

Homers Beer Run Champion!
This guy might. (not a photoshop)

Fan#41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 08:29 PM   #165
NiCK Crush

Jesus, you smoke too?

Marty, you're beginning to sound just like my mother.
Old 12-14-2010, 08:30 PM   #166
Fan#41

Homers Beer Run Champion!
I learned it from you dad!
Fan#41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 08:32 PM   #167
NiCK Crush

Bet the Flintstone's message board fans didn't throw a fit when this ad came out.
Old 12-14-2010, 08:37 PM   #168
JustinC

Wonder if they'll bust out #27

JustinC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 08:38 PM   #169
NiCK Crush

Possibly, I just hope this kid opens

Old 12-14-2010, 09:27 PM   #170
drh424s

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiCK Crush View Post
Possibly, I just hope this kid opens

I wanna make out with him
drh424s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 09:30 PM   #171
patsfan39

I definitely see myself falling more on Jack and Brandon's side here, but in reality they probably dont give a shit about playing for PM.

Boyd smokes right? Dave probably only quit because he was losing his voice, the thing that he makes a living on. Its probably the same as playing for Best Buy to them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
Hey! This has already been addressed here by others. No dancing! You will sit quietly in your seat throughout the performance!
patsfan39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 10:28 PM   #172
soups
I like dmb sometimes

Well if Boyd is the only one who smokes still, maybe we should support more PM gigs
soups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 10:28 PM   #173
brian3641

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just1nC View Post
Wonder if they'll bust out #27

Now, that's a good one!
At the Riverbend gathering Boyd said "Anyone got some fucking cookies?" A minute later someone hands him a box of Oreos. He proceeds to sign it and hands it back. Guy says, "I thought you wanted some cookies?" Boyd says, "Shit man! Cookies are fucking awesome!"
brian3641 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 10:29 PM   #174
brian3641

Quote:
Originally Posted by soups View Post
Well if Boyd is the only one who smokes still, maybe we should support more PM gigs
So he can die sooner? Might as well just encourage him to ride ATV's more.
At the Riverbend gathering Boyd said "Anyone got some fucking cookies?" A minute later someone hands him a box of Oreos. He proceeds to sign it and hands it back. Guy says, "I thought you wanted some cookies?" Boyd says, "Shit man! Cookies are fucking awesome!"
Old 12-14-2010, 11:01 PM   #175
Nova Scotia
I am Lono

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian3641 View Post
So he can die sooner? Might as well just encourage him to ride ATV's more.
Wow... Golf clap

HST
Nova Scotia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 11:07 PM   #176
brian3641

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova Scotia View Post
Wow... Golf clap
Old 12-14-2010, 11:48 PM   #177
FiddySpence
TDCya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan#41 View Post
But Dave's outlook, point-of-view, whatever is what helped him to write good songs. It's the same reason people used to always say something tragic has to happen to him in order for us to get another Dreaming Tree or Bartender, although even Roi's passing couldn't get us that (at least not yet) so maybe his own view, outlook, and take on things has been watered down now for quite some time and the sorta hypocritical situations like these just back up those claims, ya know? I'm not saying it's the root, as often times age plays a major part in the dwindling of great song writing, but these things just make it easier to understand why we haven't gotten what we've been looking and hoping for for a long time now.

And it's just reinforcing the idea that even though Big Whiskey was a step in the right direction for the band itself, it may not lead us to a string of truly great songs like we once saw, at least in terms of Dave's songwriting. Now I'm not saying the next album is going to suck because they're playing another corporate gig. Just that when Dave's writing is truly great, it comes from an honest place and you never questioned the character or content. No one gets into DMB strictly because of Dave's efforts for Farm Aid, or telling people to donate to Green Peace, but there was an obvious correlation between his own outlook, beliefs, whatever and his songs. I don't mean to make him out to be fucking Dylan, but the dude has written some damn good songs.

I just think these small things become breaking points for some people because they just pile up over the years, ya know? Corporate gigs, Millionaire's kid's parties, a decade of missed opportunities and chances with albums/releases, ticket prices, predictable "big" shows ever year, Credit Card commercials, the whole attitude of the fans being "the boss" to Dave telling "the boss" he plays what he wants, etc... Of course all these things are debatable situations but I'm just listing possible things that could pile up for someone.

I'm not saying I 100% agree with Jack, but I can understand where he's coming from, and his emotion isn't completely unwarranted, imo.
i can get down with basically all of this
it just hasn't bothered me nearly as much as others because...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
Again, probably can't be overstated that the dude is worth 1/4 of a billion dollars. He's a planet away from playing watchtower in the streets of europe for food money. I'm not sure how we can expect him to not have sold out his core beliefs. What is real to him anymore?
i absolutely agree with this. i just don't understand why you can look at it this way but get so irritated with him. considering the circumstances, most of us would probably have wound up like dave has.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soups View Post
it's all so clear now. they're obviously playing this gig so boyd can get paid with a truckload of cigarettes.
FiddySpence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 11:49 PM   #178
FiddySpence
TDCya

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian3641 View Post
Might as well just encourage him to ride ATV's more.
now this is a statement i can get behind.
FiddySpence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 11:52 PM   #179
Crush87

Quote:

I just think these small things become breaking points for some people because they just pile up over the years, ya know? Corporate gigs, Millionaire's kid's parties, a decade of missed opportunities and chances with albums/releases, ticket prices, predictable "big" shows ever year, Credit Card commercials, the whole attitude of the fans being "the boss" to Dave telling "the boss" he plays what he wants, etc... Of course all these things are debatable situations but I'm just listing possible things that could pile up for someone..
Yup.
Crush87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 12:23 AM   #180
inmytree
Hey Gee.

Quote:
I just think these small things become breaking points for some people because they just pile up over the years, ya know? Corporate gigs, Millionaire's kid's parties, a decade of missed opportunities and chances with albums/releases, ticket prices, predictable "big" shows ever year, Credit Card commercials, the whole attitude of the fans being "the boss" to Dave telling "the boss" he plays what he wants, etc... Of course all these things are debatable situations but I'm just listing possible things that could pile up for someone.

I'm not saying I 100% agree with Jack, but I can understand where he's coming from, and his emotion isn't completely unwarranted, imo.
I think you hit the nail on the head with this, in that it says as much about the fans as the band. I don't really disagree with what's being said in the thread, although I'm not that freaked out about it, simply because I feel like Dave's been doing this kind of thing for awhile (if not to this degree). I like that he supports some of that kind of stuff, but there's always been this other side that completely toes the company line. But I think our opinions of the music impact it; let's say they had played this show in 2000 as opposed to 2010 - there's no way the band gets nearly the venom they're getting now, cause the majority of people thought the music was better.

I'm not saying that's a good or bad thing; it's unavoidable, really. And I don't like that they're playing this gig. But I think it should be mentioned if we're talking about this stuff.

It is strange, however, the things they will do and won't do. They'll play a gig for Philip Morris, but won't license their songs to commercials (besides those Virigina ads, has there ever been an ad with a DMB song in it)? They must have had tons of offers over the years.
inmytree is offline   Reply With Quote

These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc