These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 12-13-2010, 05:32 PM   #81
Crush87

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissident View Post
i'm surprised you're still here, if i disliked a person as much as you dislike dave i'm pretty sure i wouldn't still be calling myself a fan and posting about him.

edit: not saying you should leave. you're pretty alright.
The film thing was a joke. It was free association, it made me think of Adam Sandler.

I'd say these days I'm here half out of habit and half to see if there's some old stuff being released or new tapes being found, etc.

I'm glad the band is on a break. As frustrated as I am with Dave I'll be interested to see what he does with the next solo album
Crush87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 05:38 PM   #82
typsitch
setlist communist by necessity

Quote:
the guy has sunk to the level of writing songs about pedophilia and rim jobs, it's kind of hard to take him seriously. but i think we should wait to judge him on this until we actually know what the fuck is going on.
He's been writing songs about pedophilia and rim jobs since the beginning; the lyrics were just more clever.
typsitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 05:44 PM   #83
FiddySpence
TDCya

Quote:
Originally Posted by typsitch View Post
He's been writing songs about pedophilia and rim jobs since the beginning; the lyrics were just more clever.
granted i have no idea what half of the lyrics in a song like Rapunzel means, but i'm pretty sure going to brown town isn't part of it.
FiddySpence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 05:56 PM   #84
JustinC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
He's getting axel foley's truck full of cigs for payment. Going to be a great christmas in the matthews family.

Nah Man That Aint Me, I'm From Buffalo.
JustinC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 06:23 PM   #85
greppson
Hmm...

1. i'm pretty sure it is some sort of subsidiary of phillip morris.
2. if i remember correctly, i remember hearing a few years back that all of these corporate gigs/one off shows that they donate the profit to charity (whether that be bama rags or something else)... plus it's a very "DMB" way of doing things--take the big corps money and then donate it to charity to do something good. stick it to the man!

but yeah, i remember hearing the 2nd thing years ago.

greppson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 06:27 PM   #86
FiddySpence
TDCya

Quote:
Originally Posted by greppson View Post
2. if i remember correctly, i remember hearing a few years back that all of these corporate gigs/one off shows that they donate the profit to charity (whether that be bama rags or something else)... plus it's a very "DMB" way of doing things--take the big corps money and then donate it to charity to do something good. stick it to the man!

hypocritical asshole!
Old 12-13-2010, 06:35 PM   #87
Crush87

Quote:
hypocritical asshole!
I never called him a hypocrite. I called him increasingly irrelevant.
Crush87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 06:46 PM   #88
FiddySpence
TDCya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crush87 View Post
I never called him a hypocrite. I called him increasingly irrelevant.
not everything i say is about you, Frank!
Old 12-13-2010, 07:20 PM   #89
Jack
Grand Army of Letters

Quote:
Originally Posted by greppson View Post
1. i'm pretty sure it is some sort of subsidiary of phillip morris.
people just assume this. There was talk when dave did the aol ceo's daughter's bat mitzva that he did it for 1 million dollars and gave the money to charity (after saying no when first asked, the guy then said, "well, if you play I'll donate 1 mil to X. So, if you don't play you're basically taking a mil our of X's mouth" and thus forcing dave to do it), but that never came from anywhere except people on message boards and thus became 'known' as fact. It was probably more of what we all wanted to believe at the time.

They give a lot of money away, and high fives all around, but they also do a lot of these events under the covers which makes me wonder how much of this income is going to charity (not that they should feel/be obligated to give once cent of it away). This is stuff we don't hear about. There is a reason they are doing it and they are not doing it totally out of the goodness of their hearts. They're getting paid. Dave, band, crew are not all feeling their robin hood complex's bubble to the surface and getting on planes and flying in from all over the country to give a million bucks to charity. At that point dmband should just give it out of their own pockets if that was the case. Dave is worth a 1/4 of a billion dollars, he's not righting one wrong at a time by stealing money from PM to give to lung cancer research. He's taking a gig because Coran tells him where/when to be and this was money coran wasn't about to pass up.

I have no problem with any band getting paid and taking these relatively easy greatest hits gigs for big quick cash. I have a problem with Dave Matthews doing it because it makes him a hypocrite. I expect more from him because I have invested a big portion of my life into this band and bought into all the shit dave claimed to hold important to him. Realizing he's just like every other dude on the block is a little disheartening. This and the microsoft gig just forces home all the shit I have been a sucker not to see in plain sight for the last ten years.

I also think it is a little bit of bull shit they are taking this 'hiatus' and make a huge deal out of it and their 'final' shows in their home town to then just play some big tobacco christmas party a few weeks later. IMHO their 'last' show should have been infront of their fans.

Another child that's grown old
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 07:47 PM   #90
kvisser

These guys are regular people who happened to form a band that many people like going to hear. Hiatus or no hiatus - if you were in a band and were offered X amount of money for a one off show coming off of a tour when you're still fairly tight with all the tunes fresh in your head then you're going to play it....and you're not going to care what other people think about it

Shows Attended:
08.10.01, 04.19.02, 07.20.02, 06.20.03, 09.03.03, 06.30.04, 07.27.05, 12.04.05, 06.13.06, 06.14.06, 06.17.08, 06.18.08, 05.27.09,
06.09.09, 06.01.10, 06.02.10, 07.06.10 (D+T), 11.02.10, 06.02.12, 07.03.12, 12.07.12, 05.28.13, 07.03.13, 06.11.14, 06.24.14,
07.21.15, 07.06.16 (D+T), 07.19.16.
kvisser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 07:48 PM   #91
Fan#41

Homers Beer Run Champion!
I'm starting to realize how appropriate it was for the Black Eyed Peas to join DMB on stage.
Fan#41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 07:57 PM   #92
Jack
Grand Army of Letters

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvisser View Post
These guys are regular people who happened to form a band that many people like going to hear. Hiatus or no hiatus - if you were in a band and were offered X amount of money for a one off show coming off of a tour when you're still fairly tight with all the tunes fresh in your head then you're going to play it....and you're not going to care what other people think about it
as I said, I have no problem with bands doing that. All the power to them. I have a problem with Dave doing stuff like stand up for a cure and farm aid, preaching the ills of tobacco and commercial machines and THEN doing this. Same with talking about the environment and THEN taking a private jet across the country to play the opening of a god damn microsoft store in a mall in seattle only to turn around and fly right back. "Don't worry, I bought some carbon credits brah."

So many celebrities have this bs 'do as I say, not as a do' attitude these days. They seem to think if they speak on a topic, or lend their name to it that is good enough. That that makes up for them, you know, doing the exact opposite in their lives because they can. It's foolish. Dave should keep his fucking mouth shut and pile the money as high as he can if that's what he wants. Hell, shoot for a half a billion. Lets get coran to be the governor of VA. Just don't come preaching your shit to me. "Shut up and play" rings so much truer now.

But hell, maybe dave tossed a dollar in a green peace jar back in '97 and thinks he's good. Maybe he believes his own bullshit.

Old 12-13-2010, 08:00 PM   #93
Tomacco

Hold on a second, I'm confused. Again, where has it been said specifically that this is a show benefiting a tobacco company? Fonz is promoting the comedy "I Love You Philip Morris" on twitter. Couldn't this have something more to do with the movie and anti-smoking sentiments than pro-smoking stuff? Because isn't the movie tongue-in-cheek and knowingly painting a comedic depiction of Phillip Morris?

Do we really have any idea what the hell's going on here? Due to the timing of the movie's current release, Stefan's tweets against big tobacco and FOR this movie, I think it seems a lot more plausible that this event is not benefiting big tobacco in any way. Unless, again, somebody here has proof of otherwise, because I still can't find a reliable source of where all this outrage is spawning from.
Tomacco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 08:15 PM   #94
Jack
Grand Army of Letters

This is what I was told last week. That is was for a subsidiary of PM at cowboy stadium. That was before stefan tweeted something about playing in dallas when he was asked 'if they were broken up for good.' stefan then tweeted that 'corporate gigs suck' and 'I go where I'm told.' If he was all excited for this show (if it was fOr this movie one would think he would be) he wouldn't have tweeted that stuff imho. Also, is some indie film renting out cowboy stadium?

Old 12-13-2010, 08:17 PM   #95
Slowbutspeeding
TDCya

WHO CARES!?!?!?!!

I understand some in this thread are just having a discussion because it's the only "band" news we got right now, but for some of you guys taking this so personally that god forbid our favorite band would play a super corp. Big Tobacco gig is beyond me.

Do I think it's a little odd they would play this type of gig? YES, but I don't care enough to get upset about it and in the end I trust these guys are doing what is best for everyone involved whether the money goes to charity or not.
Slowbutspeeding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 08:18 PM   #96
Tomacco

Quote:
This is what I was told last week. That is was for a subsidiary of PM at cowboy stadium. That was before stefan tweeted something about playing in dallas when he was asked 'if they were broken up for good.' stefan then tweeted that 'corporate gigs suck' and 'I go where I'm told.' If he was all excited for this show (if it was fOr this movie one would think he would be) he wouldn't have tweeted that stuff imho. Also, is some indie film renting out cowboy stadium?
He did plug the movie though too. I dunno, this is all still way too unclear to take a shit fit over.
Tomacco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 08:23 PM   #97
Mersh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowbutspeeding View Post
WHO CARES!?!?!?!!

I understand some in this thread are just having a discussion because it's the only "band" news we got right now, but for some of you guys taking this so personally that god forbid our favorite band would play a super corp. Big Tobacco gig is beyond me.

Do I think it's a little odd they would play this type of gig? YES, but I don't care enough to get upset about it and in the end I trust these guys are doing what is best for everyone involved whether the money goes to charity or not.
My world isn't shattered (they "sold out" a long time ago) or anything, but...
Mersh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 08:24 PM   #98
JustinC

Quote:
as I said, I have no problem with bands doing that. All the power to them. I have a problem with Dave doing stuff like stand up for a cure and farm aid, preaching the ills of tobacco and commercial machines and THEN doing this.

Ya I'm also pretty sure Outback Steakhouse doesnt use the family farmer for their food.
JustinC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 08:24 PM   #99
Jack
Grand Army of Letters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomacco View Post
He did plug the movie though too. I dunno, this is all still way too unclear to take a shit fit over.
I just think stefan is yet again going out of his way to show he's the 2010 anti-dave.

Old 12-13-2010, 08:29 PM   #100
brian3641

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomacco View Post
Hold on a second, I'm confused. Again, where has it been said specifically that this is a show benefiting a tobacco company? Fonz is promoting the comedy "I Love You Philip Morris" on twitter. Couldn't this have something more to do with the movie and anti-smoking sentiments than pro-smoking stuff? [b]Because isn't the movie tongue-in-cheek and knowingly painting a comedic depiction of Phillip Morris?[b/]

Do we really have any idea what the hell's going on here? Due to the timing of the movie's current release, Stefan's tweets against big tobacco and FOR this movie, I think it seems a lot more plausible that this event is not benefiting big tobacco in any way. Unless, again, somebody here has proof of otherwise, because I still can't find a reliable source of where all this outrage is spawning from.
The movie has nothing to do with the tobacco company.

[Only registered users can see links.]
At the Riverbend gathering Boyd said "Anyone got some fucking cookies?" A minute later someone hands him a box of Oreos. He proceeds to sign it and hands it back. Guy says, "I thought you wanted some cookies?" Boyd says, "Shit man! Cookies are fucking awesome!"
brian3641 is offline   Reply With Quote

These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc