These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > nDMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 07-14-2020, 02:19 PM   #1
Josh.0

The national media

I wanted to create a separate thread to discuss articles, thoughts, and opinions on the national media. While at first I was tempted to keep this idea merged with the Politics thread, I thought we needed to delineate media and politics as they are (technically, and supposed to be) two separate institutions, despite a significant amount of crossover for both legitimate and, arguably, illegitimate reasons.

The first thing I wanted to discuss is the absolute bombshell resignation letter from Bari Weiss, a New York Times columnist who, depending on which person you ask, is either conservative or centrist, though she self-identifies as centrist.

Regardless, she wrote the following scathing letter today that directly accuses the NYT of bowing to Twitter-fueled narratives/mobs, employing reporters that bully their colleagues, and discouraging intellectual curiosity. It really is one of the most fascinating things I have read in a long time and, personally, has confirmed many of my suspicions about the current state of "The Times."

The letter is worth your time, especially during the year 2020 when trust and journalistic integrity within our media institutions has never been more important:

Quote:
Dear A.G.,

It is with sadness that I write to tell you that I am resigning from The New York Times.

I joined the paper with gratitude and optimism three years ago. I was hired with the goal of bringing in voices that would not otherwise appear in your pages: first-time writers, centrists, conservatives and others who would not naturally think of The Times as their home. The reason for this effort was clear: The paper’s failure to anticipate the outcome of the 2016 election meant that it didn’t have a firm grasp of the country it covers. Dean Baquet and others have admitted as much on various occasions. The priority in Opinion was to help redress that critical shortcoming.

I was honored to be part of that effort, led by James Bennet. I am proud of my work as a writer and as an editor. Among those I helped bring to our pages: the Venezuelan dissident Wuilly Arteaga; the Iranian chess champion Dorsa Derakhshani; and the Hong Kong Christian democrat Derek Lam. Also: Ayaan Hirsi Ali, Masih Alinejad, Zaina Arafat, Elna Baker, Rachael Denhollander, Matti Friedman, Nick Gillespie, Heather Heying, Randall Kennedy, Julius Krein, Monica Lewinsky, Glenn Loury, Jesse Singal, Ali Soufan, Chloe Valdary, Thomas Chatterton Williams, Wesley Yang, and many others.

But the lessons that ought to have followed the election — lessons about the importance of understanding other Americans, the necessity of resisting tribalism, and the centrality of the free exchange of ideas to a democratic society — have not been learned. Instead, a new consensus has emerged in the press, but perhaps especially at this paper: that truth isn’t a process of collective discovery, but an orthodoxy already known to an enlightened few whose job is to inform everyone else.

Twitter is not on the masthead of The New York Times. But Twitter has become its ultimate editor. As the ethics and mores of that platform have become those of the paper, the paper itself has increasingly become a kind of performance space. Stories are chosen and told in a way to satisfy the narrowest of audiences, rather than to allow a curious public to read about the world and then draw their own conclusions. I was always taught that journalists were charged with writing the first rough draft of history. Now, history itself is one more ephemeral thing molded to fit the needs of a predetermined narrative.

My own forays into Wrongthink have made me the subject of constant bullying by colleagues who disagree with my views. They have called me a Nazi and a racist; I have learned to brush off comments about how I’m “writing about the Jews again.” Several colleagues perceived to be friendly with me were badgered by coworkers. My work and my character are openly demeaned on company-wide Slack channels where masthead editors regularly weigh in. There, some coworkers insist I need to be rooted out if this company is to be a truly “inclusive” one, while others post ax emojis next to my name. Still other New York Times employees publicly smear me as a liar and a bigot on Twitter with no fear that harassing me will be met with appropriate action. They never are.

There are terms for all of this: unlawful discrimination, hostile work environment, and constructive discharge. I’m no legal expert. But I know that this is wrong.

I do not understand how you have allowed this kind of behavior to go on inside your company in full view of the paper’s entire staff and the public. And I certainly can’t square how you and other Times leaders have stood by while simultaneously praising me in private for my courage. Showing up for work as a centrist at an American newspaper should not require bravery.

Part of me wishes I could say that my experience was unique. But the truth is that intellectual curiosity — let alone risk-taking — is now a liability at The Times. Why edit something challenging to our readers, or write something bold only to go through the numbing process of making it ideologically kosher, when we can assure ourselves of job security (and clicks) by publishing our 4000th op-ed arguing that Donald Trump is a unique danger to the country and the world? And so self-censorship has become the norm.

What rules that remain at The Times are applied with extreme selectivity. If a person’s ideology is in keeping with the new orthodoxy, they and their work remain unscrutinized. Everyone else lives in fear of the digital thunderdome. Online venom is excused so long as it is directed at the proper targets.

Op-eds that would have easily been published just two years ago would now get an editor or a writer in serious trouble, if not fired. If a piece is perceived as likely to inspire backlash internally or on social media, the editor or writer avoids pitching it.

If she feels strongly enough to suggest it, she is quickly steered to safer ground. And if, every now and then, she succeeds in getting a piece published that does not explicitly promote progressive causes, it happens only after every line is carefully massaged, negotiated and caveated.

It took the paper two days and two jobs to say that the Tom Cotton op-ed “fell short of our standards.” We attached an editor’s note on a travel story about Jaffa shortly after it was published because it “failed to touch on important aspects of Jaffa’s makeup and its history.” But there is still none appended to Cheryl Strayed’s fawning interview with the writer Alice Walker, a proud anti-Semite who believes in lizard Illuminati.

The paper of record is, more and more, the record of those living in a distant galaxy, one whose concerns are profoundly removed from the lives of most people. This is a galaxy in which, to choose just a few recent examples, the Soviet space program is lauded for its “diversity”; the doxxing of teenagers in the name of justice is condoned; and the worst caste systems in human history includes the United States alongside Nazi Germany.

Even now, I am confident that most people at The Times do not hold these views. Yet they are cowed by those who do. Why? Perhaps because they believe the ultimate goal is righteous. Perhaps because they believe that they will be granted protection if they nod along as the coin of our realm—language—is degraded in service to an ever-shifting laundry list of right causes. Perhaps because there are millions of unemployed people in this country and they feel lucky to have a job in a contracting industry.

Or perhaps it is because they know that, nowadays, standing up for principle at the paper does not win plaudits. It puts a target on your back. Too wise to post on Slack, they write to me privately about the “new McCarthyism” that has taken root at the paper of record.

All this bodes ill, especially for independent-minded young writers and editors paying close attention to what they’ll have to do to advance in their careers. Rule One: Speak your mind at your own peril. Rule Two: Never risk commissioning a story that goes against the narrative. Rule Three: Never believe an editor or publisher who urges you to go against the grain. Eventually, the publisher will cave to the mob, the editor will get fired or reassigned, and you’ll be hung out to dry.

For these young writers and editors, there is one consolation. As places like The Times and other once-great journalistic institutions betray their standards and lose sight of their principles, Americans still hunger for news that is accurate, opinions that are vital, and debate that is sincere. I hear from these people every day. “An independent press is not a liberal ideal or a progressive ideal or a democratic ideal. It’s an American ideal,” you said a few years ago. I couldn’t agree more. America is a great country that deserves a great newspaper.

None of this means that some of the most talented journalists in the world don’t still labor for this newspaper. They do, which is what makes the illiberal environment especially heartbreaking. I will be, as ever, a dedicated reader of their work. But I can no longer do the work that you brought me here to do — the work that Adolph Ochs described in that famous 1896 statement: “to make of the columns of The New York Times a forum for the consideration of all questions of public importance, and to that end to invite intelligent discussion from all shades of opinion.”

Ochs’s idea is one of the best I’ve encountered. And I’ve always comforted myself with the notion that the best ideas win out. But ideas cannot win on their own. They need a voice. They need a hearing. Above all, they must be backed by people willing to live by them.

Sincerely,
Bari

This has been reported everywhere, I chose to use the NY Post's link just because it was the one that had been sent to me by a friend. But it's being reported by virtually all major news outlets, in various ways. If you don't like the Post, that's great, go to whichever site you like the most and search for this report there.

[Only registered users can see links.]

Vol. 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mario View Post
Looking forward to two days from now when Josh and greykitkat argue that all we have to do is go outside at high noon, drop our pants, bend over, and spread our ass cheeks to be cured of Corona virus and that our refusal to agree is just identity politics sjw ignorance.
Vol. 2

Quote:
Donald Trump eats his own boogers.
Josh.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 06:54 PM   #2
timh.
tasty.

I think the state of our national media is a disgrace...
i timh.
and you can sig me on that.
timh. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 08:29 PM   #3
Josh.0

I think what gets to me is they’re constantly insulting our intelligence thinking no one has the ability to read and interpret data without their commentary. Whether it’s politically-related, COVID-related, or day-to-day news. There’s been this transition from hard news to news with constant commentary and slant. It’s perverse and, honestly, depressing.

Vol. 1

Quote:
Looking forward to two days from now when Josh and greykitkat argue that all we have to do is go outside at high noon, drop our pants, bend over, and spread our ass cheeks to be cured of Corona virus and that our refusal to agree is just identity politics sjw ignorance.
Vol. 2

Quote:
Old 07-14-2020, 08:49 PM   #4
roshea999
Now that's Oldstyle

Battleship Champion! Beer Dude 2 Champion! Space Invaders Champion!
I went to CNN.com recently just to see what that looks like today. I remember in high school and college I'd visit it regularly. I used to work in media and I was taking media production classes in the mid 2000's when things were shifting more aggressively for online audiences. YouTube blew up when I was in undergrad.

I swear half the headlines are, "Watch Anderson Cooper react to [insert some dumbass politician saying something stupid]" or "You won't believe what this congressman said when confronted by a protester."

Everything is designed for clicks. Headlines are misleading. Interviews are hacked into pieces. Segments are rushed with "experts" trying to one up each other and explain highly detailed things in 15 second soundbites.

There are obviously a lot more choices than CNN, but it's a big player and it's a total disaster.
roshea999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 10:02 PM   #5
greykitkat36

Quote:
Originally Posted by roshea999 View Post
I went to CNN.com recently just to see what that looks like today. I remember in high school and college I'd visit it regularly. I used to work in media and I was taking media production classes in the mid 2000's when things were shifting more aggressively for online audiences. YouTube blew up when I was in undergrad.

I swear half the headlines are, "Watch Anderson Cooper react to [insert some dumbass politician saying something stupid]" or "You won't believe what this congressman said when confronted by a protester."

Everything is designed for clicks. Headlines are misleading. Interviews are hacked into pieces. Segments are rushed with "experts" trying to one up each other and explain highly detailed things in 15 second soundbites.

There are obviously a lot more choices than CNN, but it's a big player and it's a total disaster.
Pretty much nailed my thoughts 100%. An absolute joke. But there are no good mainstream media outlets out there at all right now. Almost all of them are to some degree like this, and in almost all cases they all read like total editorials rather than straight news.

It's a shame because in order to really know what's happening you have to do a lot of work, gather multiple sources, including social media, and then read in between the lines and dissect it to get any kind of truth. 98% of the population doesn't have the time or motivation to do that, so it results in extremely biased/divisive point of views (depending on which source you use) and a totally uninformed public.
Old 07-14-2020, 10:45 PM   #6
gweeps
homesick android

I haven't read the book, but I have seen the documentary.

Here's his concise summation of what it means to be truly educated:

For me, the goal is always be as curious about the world and trying to understand the complexities of living as you can be. Never easy, but when has anything worth a damn ever been? Even if that means learning to accept the way things are and may unfortunately have to remain. Or that a positive change is desperately needed.
Old 07-14-2020, 11:26 PM   #7
Josh.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweeps View Post

I haven't read the book, but I have seen the documentary.

Here's his concise summation of what it means to be truly educated:

For me, the goal is always be as curious about the world and trying to understand the complexities of living as you can be. Never easy, but when has anything worth a damn ever been? Even if that means learning to accept the way things are and may unfortunately have to remain. Or that a positive change is desperately needed.
“The Common Enemy.” Wow. That hit hard, because I can think of two “common enemies” that fit virtually every narrative. One was elected, one came from Wuhan.

Vol. 1

Quote:
Vol. 2

Quote:
Old 07-15-2020, 12:27 AM   #8
gweeps
homesick android

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh.0 View Post
The first thing I wanted to discuss is the absolute bombshell resignation letter from Bari Weiss, a New York Times columnist who, depending on which person you ask, is either conservative or centrist, though she self-identifies as centrist
It's interesting that she resigned instead of being fired. So even though it appears the NYT tolerated and/or found her work worthy of publishing, she still felt hemmed in by other folks' ideologies and opinions. She probably won't find any better elsewhere if she believes people are out to get her and others because they don't fit a certain narrative block. And isn't the NYT a predominately liberal paper? She should have expected some pushback. In a way it's like she's taking her ball and going home.
Old 07-15-2020, 08:38 AM   #9
Josh.0

I think her point is the NYT:

1) Shouldn’t be a predominantly “anything” paper in terms of political slant, particularly as the widely-viewed paper of record
2) If it was once “left leaning,” it’s low leaning “alt-left,” which has led to her bullying as a centrist voice.
3) Its content has become reactionary to woke narratives and drivers of revenue, as opposed to the fearless, objective gold standard of American journalism that it once was.

So, it was both being hemmed in and being driven out by apparently some folks with, for example, at least some anti-Semitic views. It’s also the complete deconstruction of journalistic integrity and a heavy apparent turn towards tabloid, which has never been a part of the paper’s history.

I respect your feedback, but I’n not sure you’re quite understanding the significance of what she’s talking about.

Vol. 1

Quote:
Vol. 2

Quote:
Old 07-15-2020, 03:07 PM   #10
typsitch
setlist communist by necessity

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweeps View Post
And isn't the NYT a predominately liberal paper?
That's the issue, papers like WaPo and Times have always had liberal slant, but that was mostly in their investigative reporting and opinion pieces only. The OpEds have become indistinguishable from their objective reporting. I remember probably 10 or 15 years ago noticing a scan through the WaPo frontpage headlines gave a clear indication of the paper's political slant, but right now it's become a caricature of itself.

The fear that the ivy league, left-wing indoctrinated snowflake generation coming into professional journalism is exacerbating this issue seems like a believable stance to me.

Andrew Sullivan is leaving the NY magazine too.
typsitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 05:39 PM   #11
gweeps
homesick android

Quote:
I think her point is the NYT:

1) Shouldn’t be a predominantly “anything” paper in terms of political slant, particularly as the widely-viewed paper of record
2) If it was once “left leaning,” it’s low leaning “alt-left,” which has led to her bullying as a centrist voice.
3) Its content has become reactionary to woke narratives and drivers of revenue, as opposed to the fearless, objective gold standard of American journalism that it once was.

So, it was both being hemmed in and being driven out by apparently some folks with, for example, at least some anti-Semitic views. It’s also the complete deconstruction of journalistic integrity and a heavy apparent turn towards tabloid, which has never been a part of the paper’s history.

I respect your feedback, but I’n not sure you’re quite understanding the significance of what she’s talking about.
You don't need to tell me you respect what I have to say. That should be a given. To quote Chomsky again, if we don't believe in freedom of speech for those we despise, we don't believe in it at all. Actually, it's in my signature. Not to say you despise me though, but the "but" after your respects truly shows your feelings on the matter at hand.

Getting back to Weiss though, according to some stuff I've read, like [Only registered users can see links.] , she is a hypocrite.

So who's right here? While it's true that the left isn't lily-white, the increased criticism of them misses the point that the mass media doesn't generally serve the people anyway and hasn't for a long, long time. The rot goes deeper than current social issues.

And it still seems Weiss cut off her nose to spite her face.
Old 07-24-2020, 11:25 AM   #12
Josh.0

Remember that teenager in the MAGA hat that was on a field trip and a group of Native Americans walked up to him and starting beating their drums in his face? Remember how in the media it was reported as him trolling the tribe and that he was some white supremacist? Then later, cellphone footage revealed those reports were slandering the kid and completely misrepresented what actually happened (he did nothing wrong, he was just standing with his classmates and they approached him)?

They won’t let this be a leading headline on their websites, but I’ll share it here: both the Washington Post and CNN (in January) have settled their defamation lawsuits with him.

The WashPo lawsuit alone was for $250 million in damages, but settlement terms have not been shared publicly, it seems.

Good for this kid for digging in and exposing these institutions for their careless deconstruction of innocent people, in this case a freakin’ kid.

Vol. 1

Quote:
Vol. 2

Quote:
Old 07-24-2020, 11:00 PM   #13
MaLaKaS
Moore Soul

Living very close to Philadelphia, this was interesting to learn:

Philadelphia quietly called on federal police for backup during June protests
MaLaKaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 11:19 PM   #14
MaLaKaS
Moore Soul

Quote:
Remember that teenager in the MAGA hat that was on a field trip and a group of Native Americans walked up to him and starting beating their drums in his face? Remember how in the media it was reported as him trolling the tribe and that he was some white supremacist? Then later, cellphone footage revealed those reports were slandering the kid and completely misrepresented what actually happened (he did nothing wrong, he was just standing with his classmates and they approached him)?

They won’t let this be a leading headline on their websites, but I’ll share it here: both the Washington Post and CNN (in January) have settled their defamation lawsuits with him.

The WashPo lawsuit alone was for $250 million in damages, but settlement terms have not been shared publicly, it seems.

Good for this kid for digging in and exposing these institutions for their careless deconstruction of innocent people, in this case a freakin’ kid.
I have no opinion on this situation (I hate politics); just sharing an update for y'all. Here is the response from The Washington Post:

Old 07-24-2020, 11:22 PM   #15
Josh.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaLaKaS View Post
Living very close to Philadelphia, this was interesting to learn:

Philadelphia quietly called on federal police for backup during June protests
Wow. Thanks for sharing that. Again, had you not, no one would have seen it on a major network’s website.

I tried reading that WashPo article but there was a paywall unfortunately.

Vol. 1

Quote:
Vol. 2

Quote:
Old 07-24-2020, 11:38 PM   #16
MaLaKaS
Moore Soul

Quote:
Wow. Thanks for sharing that. Again, had you not, no one would have seen it on a major network’s website.

I tried reading that WashPo article but there was a paywall unfortunately.
Here you go:

Washington Post settles lawsuit with family of Kentucky teenager

Covington Catholic High School, photographed in January 2019. (Andrew Spear/for The Washington Post)

By Paul Farhi
July 24, 2020 at 1:10 p.m. EDT

The Washington Post has settled a lawsuit brought by the parents of a teenager who alleged that news coverage of the teen’s encounter with a Native American activist on the steps of the Lincoln Memorial last year was defamatory.

The Post admitted no wrongdoing in settling with the family of Nicholas Sandmann, the Covington, Ky., high school student who was involved in the episode during a school trip to Washington in January 2019.

Attorneys for the Sandmanns filed to dismiss the suit Friday morning in federal district court in Covington. Neither side disclosed the terms of the settlement, which foreclosed the possibility of a trial.

The family contended in a suit filed last year that The Post defamed Sandmann in seven articles and via tweets promoting the articles. The Post has maintained that its reporting was accurate and fair.

The Sandmanns settled a similar lawsuit against CNN in January. The terms of that agreement were also kept confidential by both sides. The family’s suit against NBC is still pending. They have also filed suits against Gannett, ABC, CBS, the New York Times and Rolling Stone.

The encounter between Sandmann and Nathan Phillips, the Native American activist, became the subject of national debate after videos of the scene went viral.

The first videos showed a teenager, later identified as Sandmann — wearing a “Make America Great Again” cap in support of President Trump — standing face-to-face with Phillips as Phillips chanted and beat a small drum on the memorial’s steps. Other students, some of them also wearing MAGA hats, shouted and chanted nearby.

Phillips asserted after the encounter that he had been trying to walk to the memorial when he found his path blocked by Sandmann and other students, who he felt were ridiculing him.

Sandmann, who was 16 at the time, later said he meant no disrespect to Phillips and denied trying to block his path.

In the immediate aftermath, many cast the episode in political terms, largely as a result of the MAGA hats worn by Sandmann and some of his classmates.

In their lawsuit against The Post, Sandmann’s parents, Ted and Julie, alleged The Post had “targeted and bullied” their son to embarrass Trump — a statement The Post disputed.

“The Post ignored basic journalist standards because it wanted to advance its well-known and easily documented, biased agenda against President Donald J. Trump by impugning individuals perceived to be supporters of the President,” the suit’s complaint alleged. It claimed The Post went after Sandmann “because he was the white, Catholic student wearing a red ‘Make America Great Again’ souvenir cap.”

The Post defended its coverage, arguing it was entitled to report Phillips’s interpretation of the encounter and noting that it also reported Sandmann’s account once it was available.

Trump cheered on the suit, posting a tweet reading, “Go get them Nick. Fake News!”

The Sandmanns sought $250 million in damages — which their attorneys noted was the same amount Amazon founder and chief executive Jeff Bezos paid in 2013 to purchase The Post.

Sandmann was on a trip to Washington with classmates from Covington Catholic High School to march in an antiabortion rally on the Mall. After completing the march, the students were waiting for a bus at the Lincoln Memorial. Phillips was at the Mall for a rally for indigenous people.

Initial news accounts, including The Post’s, relied on eyewitnesses such as Phillips and a limited number of videos posted on social media. Sandmann wasn’t identified in early accounts and didn’t speak publicly about it until several days later.

Covington Catholic and the Covington Diocese initially issued an apology on behalf of the students and condemned their behavior.

But later videos gave a fuller picture of what happened. They showed that several men, part of a group called the Black Hebrew Israelites, had been shouting racial epithets and homophobic slurs at the waiting Covington students. Some of the students began school sports cheers in response as Phillips approached.

News organizations sometimes settle defamation claims rather than face a trial. Even with a favorable judgment at trial, the costs of defending against such a suit can be substantial.

In July 2019, a federal judge in Kentucky dismissed the Sandmanns’ suit against The Post, ruling that all of the challenged statements were either opinion, not defamatory or not about Sandmann specifically. But in October, the judge, William O. Bertelsman, reinstated part of the lawsuit, based on a motion to reconsider an amended complaint filed by Sandmann’s lawyers, allowing the case to proceed on three statements in Post articles stating that Sandmann had “blocked” Phillips and “would not allow him to retreat.”

“We are pleased that we have been able to reach a mutually agreeable resolution of the remaining claims of the lawsuit,” Post spokeswoman Kris Coratti said. Executive Editor Martin Baron declined to comment.

The Sandmanns’ attorney Todd McMurtry issued a statement that they had “agreed to settle with the Post because the Post was quick to publish the whole truth — through its follow-up coverage and editor’s notes.” Another member of their legal team, L. Lin Wood, noted on Twitter that Nicholas Sandmann marked his 18th birthday on Friday and that the legal team “gave Nicholas the gift of justice from . . . THE WASHINGTON POST.”

Nicholas Sandmann tweeted, in reference to the other media organizations that were sued: “The fight isn’t over. 2 down. 6 to go.”
Old 07-25-2020, 10:33 AM   #17
sean52692
You failed this band

Quote:

Kid's a damn hero. We need more folks hitting fake news back in the face.
Old 07-25-2020, 12:04 PM   #18
Josh.0

D.J. Fluker of the Baltimore Ravens was assaulted by his girlfriend (she punched him in the face). She’s been charged with domestic assault. It’s being reported everywhere because it’s actually a pretty interesting story (huge NFL dude is victim of abuse, keeps his cool, reports it to the police), yet it’s nowhere to be found on CNN or the NY Times.

Now, if he had hit her and the charges were reversed, where would that headline live on the front page of CNN or The NY Times? “NFL Lineman Charged with Domestic Abuse.”

I’d say just behind the first seven headlines all involving Trump.

It’s not being reported because domestic assault - when women abuse men - has been normalized and accepted within our society.

Vol. 1

Quote:
Vol. 2

Quote:
Old 07-26-2020, 10:19 AM   #19
sean52692
You failed this band

JEMELE HILL CALLS ALL TRUMP VOTERS RACIST; TURNS OUT HER MOM VOTED FOR HIM
Spoiler:
Quote:
Historically, it’s been complicated to determine why an American votes for a particular presidential candidate. It could vary from income level, religion, background, location, family size, upbringing, past experiences, education, and so forth. Luckily, it’s much simpler now. You are either racist or not racist. That’s at least according to Jemele Hill.

Hill put it in simple terms, without logic, of course. If you vote for Donald Trump, you are a racist.

“No wiggle room,” she added for emphasis.

You’d think Hill probably doesn’t associate herself with any Trump voters after a tweet like that. They are beneath her. They are racist!

Oh, wait. Does her own mother count?

In 2017, before totally embracing her miserable, hateful persona, Hill admitted her mom voted for Trump.

It turns out, Jemele Hill’s mom is a blatant racist, per her daughter’s logic.

On her quest to make Americans as unhappy as she is, Hill disregards reason and fairness. At this point, she doesn’t even think about who she’s calling racist; the label is too effective for her. It’s to her following what the 3-point shot is to Steph Curry: the equalizer.

Hill — like many in the media — has let her hatred toward Trump ruin their ability to think properly.

Her tweet was shallow, irresponsible, lazy, and concerning. This is conspiracy-level bigotry. Her tweet was intended to install fear into anyone online who thought about supporting Trump. She was reaffirming that if you don’t think exactly as she does, you will be labeled a racist. A term that could cost you your job.

Hill ought to be ashamed of herself, but we know she isn’t. Her tweet was retweeted 60,000 times and liked another 263,000. Instead, it’s on her employers to be ashamed and humiliated. Also, ESPN, which just inked a deal with her to produce a documentary on Colin Kaepernick. ESPN got back into business with an individual who called half of its viewers racist. That will not sit well with viewers.

A sane person knows all this. Unfortunately, Twitter isn’t made up of the sane. Nor is the list of media executives. Hill’s blatant hateful, fear-installing personality is promoted by major media outlets: the Atlantic, ESPN, The Ringer/Spotify. She’s gotten rich off of it.

As for the truth, despite what fearmongering clowns tweet: you are not racist if you vote for Trump. You are also not racist if you vote for Joe Biden.
Old 07-26-2020, 02:11 PM   #20
Josh.0

She’s really become the worst. Never stops and thinks before she speaks, just takes everything to the extreme.

Vol. 1

Quote:
Vol. 2

Quote:

These Days Continue > The Continuation > nDMBc