These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > nDMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 08-01-2020, 02:53 PM   #4341
Mersh

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaphod! View Post
oh yeah, your two party system is fucking killing you guys. especially since its "democrat vs republican" at every. freakin. level. of government.

here in canada, we have completely different parties at the federal level than we do at the provincial level. some of the party names might coincide, but generally they are very different entities. and at almost every level, we've got three or four different major parties to choose from. while we do have some partisan hackery, it usually only really shows it face during our three week electoral period, and then mostly disappears.

yes, that's right, our elections get announced and its about 3 weeks of campaigning and then its over. in the US, its like you're constantly in election season: as soon as the midterms end, the presidential race begins. as soon as the presidential election ends, people are talking about the midterms.

its really no wonder to me why you guys are constantly at eachothers' throats. social media bubbles and 24-hour cable news has made it so much worse, too.
I’m all for a public funded system like GB.
Mersh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 03:03 PM   #4342
gweeps
homesick android

Short campaigning season aside (people were apoplectic when Harper forced a 100-day slog in 2015), we still have a first-past-the-post system where this past federal election, for the first time in decades, a party took the ruling slot without winning the popular vote.

Also, choices aside, federally, we really only have a two-party system. The NDP became Official Opposition only because of Quebec elevating Layton's NDPs in 2011. Federally, it's always a swap between Libs and Cons. Provincially we get more variety of results.

But partisan politics has infected Canada, too. Last go-around, the Liberals were shut out of two Conservative stronghold provinces, and almost from a third.

Canadians shouldn't think we're that much better than other countries. We're just good at smiling more. Even our donuts suck now. And our politicians & business leaders have sold the country to foreign interests and highest bidders.
Old 08-01-2020, 03:17 PM   #4343
zaphod!

we're not perfect, and i'm hoping we get rid of first-past-the-post eventually as well. but even in our current state of things, ask me which system i would prefer - ours or the US's - i would choose ours 100% of the time without hesitation.
zaphod! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 03:55 PM   #4344
gweeps
homesick android

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaphod! View Post
we're not perfect, and i'm hoping we get rid of first-past-the-post eventually as well. but even in our current state of things, ask me which system i would prefer - ours or the US's - i would choose ours 100% of the time without hesitation.
Of course, and hopefully we won't continue to be complacent and show our appreciation for less hassle by actually taking more advantage of the multiple options we have before us, especially federally.
Old 08-01-2020, 05:48 PM   #4345
gweeps
homesick android

I get their frustration, but geez why is always a minority of people who create the problems for everybody else?

[Only registered users can see links.]
Old 08-01-2020, 08:34 PM   #4346
Josh.0

Britain, Germany, Spain, Japan, Hong Kong all seeing new outbreaks.

You can only run and hide for so long. For the countries that have been laughing at us, they’re just prolonging the inevitable and now they’re starting to pay the consequences, too.

The only thing stopping COVID-19 is sunlight (so go outside, socially distanced, as much as possible) and a vaccine. Fortunately the former should be easy to do for another 3-4 months and hopefully by then vaccine production is starting to ramp up, as Fauci himself () is even admitting a vaccine may be available by the end of the year.

Vol. 3

From this past spring:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mario View Post
Without the sort of shutdown that we're seeing now, 80% of people would be infected and 4 million people would die within three months.

With "mitigation" strategies in place (all symptomatic cases in the US in isolation. Families of those cases quarantined. All Americans over 70 social distancing) 2 million people die in the next 3 months.

BUTBUTBUTBUTBUTBUTBUTBUTBUTBUTBUTBUTBUTBUTBUT

If we ever relax the suppression levels back to "mitigation" policies, we go right back to 2 million people dead within three months.

This continues until there is a disseminated vaccine, currently 18 months from now.
Josh.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 08:41 PM   #4347
Josh.0

Oh, who could have predicted this? The Sweden Vindication World Tour has begun.

Sweden, Which Never Had Lockdown, Sees COVID-19 Cases Plummet as Rest of Europe Suffers Spike

They call this a data correction according to the law of averages. Now sit back and watch what happens from here, folks.

(BTW, I’d LOVE to see a blind sampling of several hundred or thousand blood samples in Sweden to assess where T cell levels are at across the country)

Just for fun, with both leveling out:

Sweden deaths per 1M: 571
New York State deaths per 1M: 1,661

Vol. 3

From this past spring:

Quote:
Without the sort of shutdown that we're seeing now, 80% of people would be infected and 4 million people would die within three months.

With "mitigation" strategies in place (all symptomatic cases in the US in isolation. Families of those cases quarantined. All Americans over 70 social distancing) 2 million people die in the next 3 months.

If we ever relax the suppression levels back to "mitigation" policies, we go right back to 2 million people dead within three months.

This continues until there is a disseminated vaccine, currently 18 months from now.
Old 08-01-2020, 09:00 PM   #4348
Josh.0

I should take this opportunity to mention...guess where Christmas won’t be “cancelled” this year?

Vol. 3

From this past spring:

Quote:

Old 08-01-2020, 09:08 PM   #4349
gweeps
homesick android

Peaks and valleys, man. Of course the pandemic has to let up eventually. Some coumtry has to be first.
Old 08-01-2020, 09:12 PM   #4350
Josh.0

Herd immunity. Gweeps. They’ve approached herd immunity. It’s obvious. They were right and now other countries find themselves not even 1/2 of the way through this. Sweden took their lump in five months, now everyone else is going to take theirs over 10, 12 months.

Their unemployment is currently half of that in New York State. Half.

Vol. 3

From this past spring:

Quote:

Old 08-01-2020, 09:31 PM   #4351
gweeps
homesick android

The virus will come back in Sweden. Maybe not as strong, especially if they have a robust contact tracing program going.
Old 08-01-2020, 09:33 PM   #4352
Josh.0

Of course it will, but barely. Their days of huge caseloads are over and they’re just beginning for a lot of their neighbors.

Vol. 3

From this past spring:

Quote:

Old 08-01-2020, 09:42 PM   #4353
gweeps
homesick android

If I were a betting man I'd hedge it until this time next year.
Old 08-01-2020, 09:53 PM   #4354
Josh.0

There will be a vaccine well before then my man.

Vol. 3

From this past spring:

Quote:

Old 08-01-2020, 10:01 PM   #4355
gweeps
homesick android

Maybe for some, but good luck counting on a global supply chain. We can't even guarantee that millions of children aren't underfed, let alone don't die. And what about the manufacturing side of that supply system? God help us but it's going to be the wild west.
Old 08-01-2020, 10:03 PM   #4356
Josh.0

I’d agree with you if we’re talking about third world countries, but we’re talking about Sweden.

The vaccine may not even be overly relevant there. But I’m sure they’d like to get as close to 100% immunity as possible.

Vol. 3

From this past spring:

Quote:

Old 08-01-2020, 11:10 PM   #4357
Dubs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh.0 View Post
I’d agree with you if we’re talking about third world countries, but we’re talking about Sweden.

The vaccine may not even be overly relevant there. But I’m sure they’d like to get as close to 100% immunity as possible.
If you want a realistic look at how vaccinations will look, watch the movie contagion. They’ll probably do it by social security numbers here.
Old 08-01-2020, 11:30 PM   #4358
Josh.0

I think it’s going to be by age and chronic illnesses. They’ll have a list of chronic illnesses where if you have it (like obesity and/or diabetes), you can get the shot. If you over the age of 80, then it’ll be something like 60, then 40, etc., you can get the shot.

They really should find a way to test for T cell immunity. They may be able to wipe out 35-50% of demand up front for the vaccine if they can identify folks that already have immunity. This would make scaling out the vaccines so much easier and lessen the burden on the sheer number that would need to be produced.

I’m looking forward to how the world responds to China once we’re past this. Will the whispers of this being genetically engineered and accidentally released get louder, or will we all (as in the entire planet) just move on?

Vol. 3

From this past spring:

Quote:

Old 08-03-2020, 07:31 AM   #4359
Dubs

So, the new conspiracy theory is China was experimenting with the Common Cold & SARS and someone @ the Wuhan lab was accidentally infected and didn’t know it, because of it’s incubation period. Idk. I guess that would explain the T Cell responses.
Old 08-03-2020, 10:17 AM   #4360
batleon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh.0 View Post
Yeah, all indications were at least some initial doses being ready by late this year, I had no idea why Fauci would never acknowledge that until now. I get “playing it safe,” but it’s also okay to share promising news during a pandemic.
I think Fauci's been a good voice in terms of delivering both the good and bad news in a realistic fashion. People, as usual, are taking the pieces that fit their message and running with them.
batleon is offline   Reply With Quote

These Days Continue > The Continuation > nDMBc