These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > nDMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 07-27-2020, 08:22 PM   #4121
gweeps
homesick android

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubs View Post
Josh and others what do y’all think of this? Check the entire tweet thread.

[Only registered users can see links.]
Too much of a reliance on masks to slow the spread. And further lockdowns? Good luck with that. I think a lot of what he said there is idealistic at best and divisive at worst.
Old 07-27-2020, 09:22 PM   #4122
Josh.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweeps View Post
Too much of a reliance on masks to slow the spread. And further lockdowns? Good luck with that. I think a lot of what he said there is idealistic at best and divisive at worst.
I’ve seen his Tweets and he doesn’t seem super bright.

He’s literally comparing a country with land borders with two other countries and 330 million people to an island country with 3.8 million.

Again, we don’t even know who comes in and out of our country every day and what they bring with them (like, ya know, infectious diseases). He’s a fool and he needs to go back to reading fiction novels.

Vol. 3

From this past spring:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mario View Post
Without the sort of shutdown that we're seeing now, 80% of people would be infected and 4 million people would die within three months.

With "mitigation" strategies in place (all symptomatic cases in the US in isolation. Families of those cases quarantined. All Americans over 70 social distancing) 2 million people die in the next 3 months.

BUTBUTBUTBUTBUTBUTBUTBUTBUTBUTBUTBUTBUTBUTBUT

If we ever relax the suppression levels back to "mitigation" policies, we go right back to 2 million people dead within three months.

This continues until there is a disseminated vaccine, currently 18 months from now.
Josh.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 09:53 PM   #4123
Josh.0

I just signed up to volunteer for the Moderna COVID-19 Phase 3 vaccination trial. I’m legitimately hoping I get selected!

If anyone else is interested, follow the link below. Trials are across the country and they’re looking for 30,000 people. Apparently hundreds of thousands have already signed up, but you never know - you may make for the type of candidate they’re looking for.

Vol. 3

From this past spring:

Quote:
Without the sort of shutdown that we're seeing now, 80% of people would be infected and 4 million people would die within three months.

With "mitigation" strategies in place (all symptomatic cases in the US in isolation. Families of those cases quarantined. All Americans over 70 social distancing) 2 million people die in the next 3 months.

If we ever relax the suppression levels back to "mitigation" policies, we go right back to 2 million people dead within three months.

This continues until there is a disseminated vaccine, currently 18 months from now.
Old 07-27-2020, 10:21 PM   #4124
Dubs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh.0 View Post
I’ve seen his Tweets and he doesn’t seem super bright.
So you trust Azar, over Obama’a former health lead? Mmkay.
Old 07-27-2020, 10:29 PM   #4125
Dubs

Mortality isn’t the only concern. I’ve been following this before it even came here. While it was still in Wuhan. In the beginning, they stated ppl were becoming infected twice and were dying of heart attacks/inflammation of the heart even with mild disease upon re-infection..

Old 07-27-2020, 10:31 PM   #4126
mario

Quote:
Josh and others what do y’all think of this? Check the entire tweet thread.

It's what we should have done in March. It's what we should be doing starting today. Until we do this, life will not resume.

I really didn’t want to go there but: fuck these people. Nurses make $100k/year with full benefits. I don’t feel sorry for them at all that they might catch a flu that’s not going to do anything to them. Such a stupid opportunity that they’re fully exploiting to jerk themselves off.
Quote:
The fact that they came outside in their scrubs - which they’re supposed to be keeping as clean and “uncompromised” as possible - tells you it was virtue signaling in an attempt to go viral. Just like all of the dumb TikTok videos that bored nurses in empty hospitals have been putting together across the country the last few weeks
mario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 10:33 PM   #4127
mario

Quote:
Mortality isn’t the only concern. I’ve been following this before it even came here. While it was still in Wuhan. In the beginning, they stated ppl were becoming infected twice and were dying of heart attacks/inflammation of the heart even with mild disease upon re-infection..

To be fair, people who want everyone to go out and die for the economy don't have hearts to care about.

I really didn’t want to go there but: fuck these people. Nurses make $100k/year with full benefits. I don’t feel sorry for them at all that they might catch a flu that’s not going to do anything to them. Such a stupid opportunity that they’re fully exploiting to jerk themselves off.
Quote:
The fact that they came outside in their scrubs - which they’re supposed to be keeping as clean and “uncompromised” as possible - tells you it was virtue signaling in an attempt to go viral. Just like all of the dumb TikTok videos that bored nurses in empty hospitals have been putting together across the country the last few weeks
Old 07-27-2020, 10:37 PM   #4128
Dubs

Quote:
It's what we should have done in March. It's what we should be doing starting today. Until we do this, life will not resume.
Period.

Quote:
To be fair, people who want everyone to go out and die for the economy don't have hearts to care about.
Preach!
Old 07-27-2020, 10:50 PM   #4129
gweeps
homesick android

It's the track & trace programs that should be the focus of real mitigation beyond the physical distancing. Masks are an option for places where distancing isn't feasible. The contact tracing programs would be used as a result of non-distancing activity, regardless of whether you're wearing a mask.

The lockdowns served one purpose: to keep the health systems from collapsing. Beyond that they're just creating more damage. How we deal with that i.e helping businesses that are unable to fully reopen, etc., is up to us. We need to be creative and flexible and have patience.
Old 07-27-2020, 11:01 PM   #4130
Dubs

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweeps View Post
It's the track & trace programs that should be the focus of real mitigation beyond the physical distancing. Masks are an option for places where distancing isn't feasible. The contact tracing programs would be used as a result of non-distancing activity, regardless of whether you're wearing a mask.

The lockdowns served one purpose: to keep the health systems from collapsing. Beyond that they're just creating more damage. How we deal with that i.e helping businesses that are unable to fully reopen, etc., is up to us. We need to be creative and flexible and have patience.
Masks should be mandatory. PERIOD. It lingers in the air. You honestly think droplet only transmission got us to this point in just 6 months?

The economy will suffer to reduce the R0 enough to go back to semi-normal. We’re too far gone at this point. Since our action was so weak to begin with, it’s time to throw the kitchen sink at it.
Old 07-27-2020, 11:12 PM   #4131
Josh.0

1) Folks cannot get the virus twice. That's been debunked by recent studies, as in information that's come out in the last week or two. That was bad reporting on hearsay early on that most people never followed up on and now it's moved its way into what we "know" about the virus - but it's proving to be false.

2) People who want to reopen are not heartless, they realize that shutting a country down and placing millions into poverty, extreme debt, and financial ruin (I'm talking middle and lower class people, here) anytime there's a virus with a low mortality rate sets a bad precedent that endangers the wellbeing of hundreds of millions of people long-term.

3) The ironic part of locking down to prevent health systems from collapsing during pandemic-lite is not enough patients ended up at the overwhelming majority of health systems. Due to the subsequent massive cashflow hit to health systems that this caused (whom over-prepared by cancelling elective procedures, aka 1/3 of all revenue), some hospitals indeed collapsed and many more have been on the brink of bankruptcy.

4) People need to understand the science isn't where it was in February and March and a ton has been learned about this virus since then, mainly that a vaccine is overwhelmingly likely to work (instead of "ventilators, ventilators, ventilators!" the new catchphrase should be "T cells, T cells, T cells!") and that the mortality rate is closer to 0.1 - 0.3% (and not anywhere near 2% - 10%).

5) It's impossible to make the argument that "we don't know long-term effects" reasonably when those with secondary complications appear to be outliers and without the passage of significant time (decades), it's zero-sum to worry about long term complications when "long" passages of time won't happen for, well, a long time.

Vol. 3

From this past spring:

Quote:

Old 07-27-2020, 11:24 PM   #4132
Josh.0

The biggest issue facing America right now, aside from COVID-19 and politics and election years and how they intersect in the worst possible way, is folks have started believing too heavily in anecdotes and not enough in easily-identifiable and data/research-backed trends, scientific methods, and conclusions.

There's so much of "well, I heard" or "last August, 'X' reported," and not enough critical thinking along the lines of "wait, does that really make sense? Let me dig deeper into the information that's out there and see where the trends really point."

Anecdotes are our Achilles heel as a country across so many different areas that affect social discourse.

"Well, one nine year old in "X' state whose health history we know nothing about died..."

"Well, 1/10,000 cases seem to have clotting issues..."

"Well, one person said they had it, then didn't, and now they do, and we don't know anything about how they were tested, if all the tests they took were reliable, or any other important details..."

It's like 99.9999% of all the other data becomes unimportant and .0001% suddenly becomes the focal point.

Vol. 3

From this past spring:

Quote:

Last edited by Josh.0; 07-27-2020 at 11:42 PM.
Old 07-27-2020, 11:54 PM   #4133
mario

The irony is so thick my screen just broke.

Quote:
Old 07-28-2020, 12:10 AM   #4134
Josh.0

Vol. 3

From this past spring:

Quote:

Old 07-28-2020, 06:13 AM   #4135
Mersh

Quote:
I just signed up to volunteer for the Moderna COVID-19 Phase 3 vaccination trial. I’m legitimately hoping I get selected!

If anyone else is interested, follow the link below. Trials are across the country and they’re looking for 30,000 people. Apparently hundreds of thousands have already signed up, but you never know - you may make for the type of candidate they’re looking for.

People are already lining up for their Gates microchips, huh?
Mersh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 08:13 AM   #4136
Dubs

Quote:
1) Folks cannot get the virus twice. That's been debunked by recent studies, as in information that's come out in the last week or two. That was bad reporting on hearsay early on that most people never followed up on and now it's moved its way into what we "know" about the virus - but it's proving to be false.

2) People who want to reopen are not heartless, they realize that shutting a country down and placing millions into poverty, extreme debt, and financial ruin (I'm talking middle and lower class people, here) anytime there's a virus with a low mortality rate sets a bad precedent that endangers the wellbeing of hundreds of millions of people long-term.

3) The ironic part of locking down to prevent health systems from collapsing during pandemic-lite is not enough patients ended up at the overwhelming majority of health systems. Due to the subsequent massive cashflow hit to health systems that this caused (whom over-prepared by cancelling elective procedures, aka 1/3 of all revenue), some hospitals indeed collapsed and many more have been on the brink of bankruptcy.

4) People need to understand the science isn't where it was in February and March and a ton has been learned about this virus since then, mainly that a vaccine is overwhelmingly likely to work (instead of "ventilators, ventilators, ventilators!" the new catchphrase should be "T cells, T cells, T cells!") and that the mortality rate is closer to 0.1 - 0.3% (and not anywhere near 2% - 10%).

5) It's impossible to make the argument that "we don't know long-term effects" reasonably when those with secondary complications appear to be outliers and without the passage of significant time (decades), it's zero-sum to worry about long term complications when "long" passages of time won't happen for, well, a long time.

Do you honestly think the entire world went on lockdown for a mortality rate like the flu?...
Old 07-28-2020, 08:34 AM   #4137
mario

I was looking for something I remembered incorrectly and stumbled over this oracle of truth, which I'm reposting since Josh is so excited about how history will judge our posts on TDC...

Quote:
Actually I know one place I was wrong. I tried to bet mario our memberships that we’d peak and start to decline by July when he was running around with his head loose pretending everyone would be dying indefinitely. He didn’t take the bet (as I expected), but I was definitely wrong: July was way too far out. Turns out the turning point is April.

I guessed July because I knew heat would affect the longevity of the virus, which he had mocked Trump for insinuating. I knew it because I’d researched the timelines of other coronaviruses and noticed they always petered out in the summer, usually in May or June, but I gave myself a cushion with July.

You don’t need a PhD or a Nobel prize to recognize trends, you just need to be willing to scratch a little beneath the surface to dig out the data.

Quote:
Old 07-28-2020, 08:37 AM   #4138
zaphod!

imagine a world where "cashflow" isn't a factor for hospitals. crazy thought, i know... but just try
zaphod! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 08:41 AM   #4139
Jack
Grand Army of Letters

Quote:
The irony is so thick my screen just broke.
Not sure what this is about, but I have definitely read a few articles with medical experts saying they think the media has been promoting dangerous theories that have no real fact based evidence behind them. IIRC a NYT article said media were prioritizing clicks over facts. I have certainly found this to be true in the headlines of most MSM articles during this pandemic.

Also, not all areas of this country are equal. Some areas of this country did what they needed to do and are doing okay now. That can obviously change, but you’re never convincing people in those areas to shut down at their current case levels. And that isn’t prioritizing the economy over lives.

Another child that's grown old
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 08:44 AM   #4140
gweeps
homesick android

@StephenKing
The fucking lawmakers have to stay in Washington until they have a stimulus package. If it was up to me, they'd do it without air conditioning. Once their underwear started sticking in their ass-cracks, they'd make a deal.
9:40 AM · Jul 28, 2020·Twitter Web App

These Days Continue > The Continuation > nDMBc