These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 07-17-2020, 08:18 AM   #1141
mario

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThememanXX View Post
People don't go to concerts to see/hear the music. You know that. They want to "go out" and "get together" and drink and talk and take pictures for social media. That's been the "new normal" for decades now.
You don't need 10,000 people from a metropolitan area to be interested in you to stage a remote concert.

You can pull from the entire world. And you can pull people who aren't available on exactly that day and time.

Some middle tier band who was supposed to be touring this summer, like Big Thief, could easily sell 50,000 tickets for a live remote performance.

Willie already figured it out and did it.

I really didn’t want to go there but: fuck these people. Nurses make $100k/year with full benefits. I don’t feel sorry for them at all that they might catch a flu that’s not going to do anything to them. Such a stupid opportunity that they’re fully exploiting to jerk themselves off.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh.0 View Post
The fact that they came outside in their scrubs - which they’re supposed to be keeping as clean and “uncompromised” as possible - tells you it was virtue signaling in an attempt to go viral. Just like all of the dumb TikTok videos that bored nurses in empty hospitals have been putting together across the country the last few weeks
mario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 08:22 AM   #1142
DMBCLSTJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by mario View Post
You don't need 10,000 people from a metropolitan area to be interested in you to stage a remote concert.

You can pull from the entire world. And you can pull people who aren't available on exactly that day and time.
Sorry, but that model wouldn't be sustainable either. To Jason's point, the majority of concert goers go for the tailgating, being out and occasionally listening to the music. No band will be able to sustain itself without live concerts for more than a year outside of the heavy hitters (established bands)
Old 07-17-2020, 08:24 AM   #1143
mario

What does that even mean? There will not be live music for well over a year. That is done and decided and undeniable. So there won't ever be music in America again?

Again, the majority of the concert goers still leaves hundred(s) of thousands of concertgoers in the minority for any given nationwide (let alone worldwide) tour.

I really didn’t want to go there but: fuck these people. Nurses make $100k/year with full benefits. I don’t feel sorry for them at all that they might catch a flu that’s not going to do anything to them. Such a stupid opportunity that they’re fully exploiting to jerk themselves off.
Quote:
The fact that they came outside in their scrubs - which they’re supposed to be keeping as clean and “uncompromised” as possible - tells you it was virtue signaling in an attempt to go viral. Just like all of the dumb TikTok videos that bored nurses in empty hospitals have been putting together across the country the last few weeks
Old 07-17-2020, 08:24 AM   #1144
Tomacco

Quote:

Some middle tier band who was supposed to be touring this summer, like Big Thief, could easily sell 50,000 tickets for a live remote performance.
What do you mean by remote concert? Like a Zoom concert?
I've watched a few Zoom concerts, but man, it is truly NOT the same experience in any way, shape or form. Truly a bad replacement. And I'm a big fan of the artists I've seen perform on Zoom.
Casual music fans won't pay for it though.

I'm contemplating going to a drive-in concert next month but I'm worried it will be more depressing than enjoyable.
Tomacco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 08:26 AM   #1145
mario

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomacco View Post
What do you mean by remote concert? Like a Zoom concert?

[Only registered users can see links.]

Here's one company that's setting them up, which is what Willie used: [Only registered users can see links.]

Quote:
Old 07-17-2020, 08:29 AM   #1146
ThememanXX
I've gotta make a destination.

I'm a humongous Stephen Kellogg fan, he did his entire spring tour from his living room, charged $35 a show. I saw two. I've got zero interest in paying another $35 for a show of his ever again if I'm not in attendance. He's doing another "leg" this fall.

It's not sustainable in that sure, maybe the act will sell 70k "tickets" to one show, but that's a one-time number, not spread over a three month tour....and it's tough to sell merch, etc with digital shows, too.

It might be something that people are really into, but even if an artist or band I'm really, really into did it, I'd be in for one and that's it.
handjob on the lawn during the encore saved it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
Who'd you jerk off?
ThememanXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 08:31 AM   #1147
mario

I'm not sure why he did an entire tour.... Yeah, you do a show every once in a while and get a big reward for minimum expense. It's way less cost intensive than actually touring and playing 35 shows, and it's going to be possible to make the same amount of money as an entire tour would, since there's no venue fees, sales tax, live nation cut, etc.

Set them up as real shows with opening acts to expand the audience, or mini-festivals with multiple headliners.

You say you'll never pay again, but in 2022, after a new album, I bet you'd pay to see remote Stephen Kellogg again.

Quote:
Old 07-17-2020, 08:38 AM   #1148
ThememanXX

Quote:
in 2022, after a new album
Give me new studio albums rather than virtual live shows.
Quote:
Who'd you jerk off?
Old 07-17-2020, 09:14 AM   #1149
mario

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThememanXX View Post
Give me new studio albums rather than virtual live shows.
There will be both.

Quote:
Old 07-17-2020, 09:16 AM   #1150
Tomacco

All the streamed shows I've seen have also just been solo artists, or cobbled performances on Zoom screens. I'm fucking done with seeing a band play in a mishmash of zoom screens, personally. It feels so produced and inauthentic.

Bands will have to start playing TOGETHER in real life, streamed to an audience LIVE, if it's gonna come close to replicating the real experience. Basically, the best we can hope for is basically replicating when we watched live streams of DMB shows on YouTube like the few they did in 2018 and 2019. Most of us weren't at those shows, but we enjoyed watching them live, not knowing what was coming, and seeing them all play together.

But even the solo Dave performances have gotten old to me. Watching soloists at home with a guitar is starting to become depressing to me. I want some good big interactive live band music. (Personally, I'm also not the type to rush to a quiet sit-down solo acoustic show even in person - I like going to a show with band interaction and energy and big sound).
Tomacco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 09:33 AM   #1151
mario

There are bands doing that.

Disco Biscuits did it. Willie did it. Zach Brown Band did it.

Quote:
Old 07-17-2020, 09:48 AM   #1152
MUDaveFan
Kind of a big deal

GBV is doing it tonight.

GUIDED BY VOICES WORLD TOUR 2020
ONE NIGHT ONLY! STREAMING IN YOUR HOME. BYOB
Full electric set from an empty venue to your living room. Professionally mixed and pre-recorded with 7 cameras on a big socially-distanced stage. Unlike a lot of other streams, this is not acoustic in the living room… It will look and sound amazing.

Friday, July 17, 2020. 5PM EST / 10PM UK
Plus 96-hour post-show streaming on demand. Plus free audio download.

Tickets $20 advance / $25 day of show at NoonChorus.com/guided-by-voices

DMB for breakfast, lunch, and dinner
MUDaveFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 10:46 AM   #1153
mja271

Quote:
There are bands doing that.

Disco Biscuits did it. Willie did it. Zach Brown Band did it.

Umphrey's also did a couple nights live from a studio together and are apparently renting a warehouse in Chicago and going to start doing shows with full production (ie lights and whatnot) streamed live in the fall. I'm seeing a lot of acts start to get ready for this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by celluloid hero View Post
This is the most absurd post I've ever made on a message board.
mja271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 10:58 AM   #1154
ThememanXX

While it'd be cool if DMB did this, you know the set they'd play would be so run of the mill it'd give us enough to bitch about for a solid year. And the fact that it wouldn't be a tour would mean they wouldn't have reason to expand setlists or work on anything else. To think it'd be anything other than a greatest hits set with Sister, Here on Out and Samurai Cop added would be a pipe dream.
Quote:
Who'd you jerk off?
Old 07-17-2020, 11:36 AM   #1155
dmb4uandme

Despite the number of crew involved in putting on a show, why can’t bands “rent” out a venue, and put on a live streamed show with no audience?

I think it presents a great opportunity to do something unique.

Billy Joel throws out 2 songs to an audience and plays the one that gets the best reaction. Bands could do the same to their virtual audience. Ask what they want to hear — live and in the moment — and play those songs based off a poll during the performance.

Would certainly drive excitement and engagement among a paying audience.

Again, it will never replicate the true concert experience, but if sports can (try to) find a way to exist in a bubble, why can’t the concert industry?
dmb4uandme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 11:37 AM   #1156
patsfan39

Lets face it, if DMB does a show like that you can bet you will be able to buy the super premium package to go to the show. Costs like $2500 a ticket but you have to go through all the right testing beforehand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mersh View Post
bkdkbbkkddd

the letters he draws with his tongue.
patsfan39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 11:58 AM   #1157
mario

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmb4uandme View Post
Despite the number of crew involved in putting on a show, why can’t bands “rent” out a venue, and put on a live streamed show with no audience?

I think it presents a great opportunity to do something unique.

Billy Joel throws out 2 songs to an audience and plays the one that gets the best reaction. Bands could do the same to their virtual audience. Ask what they want to hear — live and in the moment — and play those songs based off a poll during the performance.

Would certainly drive excitement and engagement among a paying audience.

Again, it will never replicate the true concert experience, but if sports can (try to) find a way to exist in a bubble, why can’t the concert industry?
They need to adapt.

Willie's 4th of July festival partnered with a butcher and if you bought a ticket package up to two weeks in advance they would ship you a meal to grill for the show.

There's lots of room for lots of adaptation and ways to make money. And it's not really an option to adapt.

Quote:
Old 07-17-2020, 01:20 PM   #1158
mja271

Here’s an article on a smaller band’s efforts to adapt. Some interesting stuff and shows there are ways to get creative

Quote:
Originally Posted by celluloid hero View Post
This is the most absurd post I've ever made on a message board.
mja271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 02:19 PM   #1159
Garntd

Quote:
Originally Posted by mja271 View Post
Here’s an article on a smaller band’s efforts to adapt. Some interesting stuff and shows there are ways to get creative

that smaller band is Goose and they are the shit. Bingo tour was by far and away the best experience I had during the entirety of quarantine. Great music, high quality audio and video, fun premise, interactive, discussion with other fans. The band essentially made $100k+ to chill with their friends and make music at a barn upstate. It definitely was an "out of the box" experience and I hope more bands follow!
Garntd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 08:23 AM   #1160
Jayes
ISO Hello Again&Broken Things

Idk, it’s not nothing. And you could poke holes in some of these even in this article. But being in the industry, I HAVE to remain hopeful.

Live gigs are back - but social distancing poses problems [Only registered users can see links.]
Jayes is offline   Reply With Quote

These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc