These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > nDMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 07-22-2020, 04:18 PM   #9041
Josh.0

Feminist towards men: you’re toxic and mansplain and man spread and you ruin society.

Mario: Yes!

Men towards feminists: you’re just angry you could never get a date in high school so now you grew up and decided to devote your life to being sexist towards men.

Mario: Misogyny!

Vol. 3

From this past spring:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mario View Post
Without the sort of shutdown that we're seeing now, 80% of people would be infected and 4 million people would die within three months.

With "mitigation" strategies in place (all symptomatic cases in the US in isolation. Families of those cases quarantined. All Americans over 70 social distancing) 2 million people die in the next 3 months.

BUTBUTBUTBUTBUTBUTBUTBUTBUTBUTBUTBUTBUTBUTBUT

If we ever relax the suppression levels back to "mitigation" policies, we go right back to 2 million people dead within three months.

This continues until there is a disseminated vaccine, currently 18 months from now.
Josh.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 04:24 PM   #9042
Josh.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
Josh, I’m really sorry to hear about all of that.
Yeah, thanks. It happened so long ago I long accepted it and just used it as a way to become something better.

Honestly I didn’t even get into all of it. I took a year off during undergrad and she threatened to kick me out if I told my dad I was taking a year off from school. Why? The divorce agreement said had to pay child support until I finished college. So she made me lie to him or get kicked out, even though she knew I was going back. It was fun to explain to my dad why I went to college for a “fifth year,” even though the reality was I finished in 3.5 semesters, paid for all of it on my own (she was supposed to use the child support, she didn’t), and was the first and only person in my family to earn a degree.

I’m not saying my situation is the norm. But I’ve lived in broken households and communities long enough to see what actual human behavior is in these environments versus what many in the media try to portray it as (all sweet, innocent, hard-working single moms getting screwed by dad and left with the kids). There are bad dads out there too, but it’s much closer to 50/50 than people want to admit.

Vol. 3

From this past spring:

Quote:
Without the sort of shutdown that we're seeing now, 80% of people would be infected and 4 million people would die within three months.

With "mitigation" strategies in place (all symptomatic cases in the US in isolation. Families of those cases quarantined. All Americans over 70 social distancing) 2 million people die in the next 3 months.

If we ever relax the suppression levels back to "mitigation" policies, we go right back to 2 million people dead within three months.

This continues until there is a disseminated vaccine, currently 18 months from now.
Old 07-22-2020, 04:40 PM   #9043
Josh.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by batleon View Post
Well shit. How do your more liberal and feminist leaning friends think about this? Do they know how to react? I sure don't.

Not that it means anything or changes anything but I'm sorry the system failed you so miserably when you were a kid. This goes a long way towards making me understand why you feel the way you do about a lot of the things that are being discussed here.
Ah, thanks bat. I don’t usually bring it up, most think I came from some “well adjusted” household because I generally have my shit together professionally/personally. When you grow up in that type of environment you generally have two choices: act the same way or act the complete opposite way. I chose the latter and left all of that shit (and her) behind me. None of her children (all four of us) really bother with her.

Vol. 3

From this past spring:

Quote:

Old 07-22-2020, 07:13 PM   #9044
mario

Phew, good thing Josh got everyone to look at Josh again. Just took some more casual misogyny to get the attention he craves.

I really didn’t want to go there but: fuck these people. Nurses make $100k/year with full benefits. I don’t feel sorry for them at all that they might catch a flu that’s not going to do anything to them. Such a stupid opportunity that they’re fully exploiting to jerk themselves off.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh.0 View Post
The fact that they came outside in their scrubs - which they’re supposed to be keeping as clean and “uncompromised” as possible - tells you it was virtue signaling in an attempt to go viral. Just like all of the dumb TikTok videos that bored nurses in empty hospitals have been putting together across the country the last few weeks
mario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 07:22 PM   #9045
batleon

Quote:
Anecdotal evidence is anecdotal?

As a family attorney, I've seen more than one custody case, and mothers have no custody advantage over fathers.

But at least now we know that Josh' hatred for women comes from his mommy issues.
Jesus Christ dude
batleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 08:50 AM   #9046
gweeps
homesick android

This song applies today even though it was written almost 30 years ago.

Quote:
Get Over It

I turn on the tube and what do I see
A whole lotta people cryin' "Don't blame me"
They point their crooked little fingers at everybody else
Spend all their time feelin' sorry for themselves
Victim of this, victim of that
Your momma's too thin and your daddy's too fat

Get over it
Get over it
All this whinin' and cryin' and pitchin' a fit
Get over it, get over it

You say you haven't been the same since you had your little crash
But you might feel better if I gave you some cash
The more I think about it, Old Billy was right
Let's kill all the lawyers, kill 'em tonight
You don't want to work, you want to live like a king
But the big, bad world doesn't owe you a thing

Get over it
Get over it
If you don't want to play, then you might as well split
Get over it, Get over it

It's like going to confession every time I hear you speak
You're makin' the most of your losin' streak
Some call it sick, but I call it weak

You drag it around like a ball and chain
You wallow in the guilt; you wallow in the pain
You wave it like a flag, you wear it like a crown
Got your mind in the gutter, bringin' everybody down
Bitch about the present and blame it on the past
I'd like to find your inner child and kick its little ass

Get over it
Get over it
All this bitchin' and moanin' and pitchin' a fit
Get over it, get over it

Get over it
Get over it
It's gotta stop sometime, so why don't you quit
Get over it, get over it
Old 08-03-2020, 11:12 AM   #9047
mario

Middle-Aged White Male advising everyone else to Get Over It.

You don't Get Over your life being systematically more difficult, whether because you don't have a penis, or because you grew up in a certain neighborhood, or because you are attracted to the "wrong" kind of people, or because your physical characteristics are different.

I really didn’t want to go there but: fuck these people. Nurses make $100k/year with full benefits. I don’t feel sorry for them at all that they might catch a flu that’s not going to do anything to them. Such a stupid opportunity that they’re fully exploiting to jerk themselves off.
Quote:
The fact that they came outside in their scrubs - which they’re supposed to be keeping as clean and “uncompromised” as possible - tells you it was virtue signaling in an attempt to go viral. Just like all of the dumb TikTok videos that bored nurses in empty hospitals have been putting together across the country the last few weeks
Old 08-03-2020, 12:39 PM   #9048
gweeps
homesick android

Quote:
Middle-Aged White Male advising everyone else to Get Over It.

You don't Get Over your life being systematically more difficult, whether because you don't have a penis, or because you grew up in a certain neighborhood, or because you are attracted to the "wrong" kind of people, or because your physical characteristics are different.
I think it was originally about tabloid TV, but the sentiments have greatly spilled over into many other facets of life, including social media, cultural appropriation theory and so-called virtue signalling, etc. Narcissistic self-entitlement is swallowing the world. And we can't just blame the upper classes for such behaviours.

At some point people really do have to move on with their lives - live with the past, be grateful for the present and have hope for the future. Even some Jews found a small measure of gratitude for being alive while in concentration camps. Doesn't mean what happened to them was required to teach them a lesson, but the amazing truth how some folks regardless of their situation in life rise to the occasion and live.

I can't remember what country it was in, but years ago I saw footage from a protest that turned violent because of police intervention. One man was shot in the chest, but before he died he got back up on his feet, smiled at his killers and fell down again. Imagine how hard that must have been. But his personality was one of taking things in stride, being appreciative for every chance available, even if it was a last opportunity to make a mark.

Scars may fade, but there's no reason to keep rehashing their source.
Old 08-03-2020, 12:53 PM   #9049
mario

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweeps View Post
At some point people really do have to move on with their lives - live with the past, be grateful for the present and have hope for the future. Even some Jews found a small measure of gratitude for being alive while in concentration camps.
The Jews were given a country and a fair chance and the rest of the world came together and went to actual, literal war to to exact justice, with the Nazis being executed or imprisoned and [Only registered users can see links.] today eighty years later.

You don't "Get Over It", appreciate the present, or have hope for the future when the past is being treated like a 2nd class citizen, the present is being treated like a second class citizen, and the future is being treated like a second class citizen.

It's amazing how easy it is for people to suggest other people just accept it and move on. How about people just accept that women and minorities and immigrants should be treated equal to white men and get over how hard it is to accept that?

Quote:
Old 08-03-2020, 01:15 PM   #9050
gweeps
homesick android

Quote:
It's amazing how easy it is for people to suggest other people just accept it and move on. How about people just accept that women and minorities and immigrants should be treated equal to white men and get over how hard it is to accept that?
Getting over something isn't a single leap of faith. Gaining clarity often is a process that takes a lifetime.
Old 08-03-2020, 01:32 PM   #9051
Josh.0

Quote:
It's amazing how easy it is for people to suggest other people just accept it...
Isn’t that what you’re doing right now? Telling other people to accept a narrative they don’t agree with?

White American women, again, are the most privileged people on planet earth. It’s not even close.

Vol. 3

From this past spring:

Quote:

Old 08-03-2020, 01:56 PM   #9052
gweeps
homesick android

God knows Henley would be shamed for the line "pitchin' a fit" if the song were released today. There'd be protests that he was insensitive to epileptics.
Old 08-03-2020, 03:27 PM   #9053
Mersh

As a historian, don’t know that I agree with the “get over it” approach. That being said, I’m not interested in a political correctness or whatever debate.
Mersh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 03:38 PM   #9054
gweeps
homesick android

I understand it's the getting to a place where you can let go of trauma that is the hardest part. I'm just frustrated how it seems to be human nature to delay such a revelatory experience.

Also, I thought the song had some good, albeit generalized, ideas.
Old 08-03-2020, 03:56 PM   #9055
Josh.0

Spoiler:
juuuust bustin’ your balls I actually half agree on “not getting over it” when it comes to certain demographics and the issues they’ve faced, I’m more Team “White American Women Massively Exaggerate Their Outrage and Plight Altogether”

Vol. 3

From this past spring:

Quote:

Old 08-03-2020, 03:59 PM   #9056
Mersh

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweeps View Post
I understand it's the getting to a place where you can let go of trauma that is the hardest part. I'm just frustrated how it seems to be human nature to delay such a revelatory experience.

Also, I thought the song had some good, albeit generalized, ideas.
Letting go of trauma shouldn’t mean ignoring it/wiping the slate clean. We should be informed by it and hopefully grow past it, not just get over it.
Old 08-03-2020, 04:08 PM   #9057
gweeps
homesick android

Old 08-03-2020, 04:26 PM   #9058
mario

Again, you don't get over something THAT IS STILL HAPPENING EVERY SINGLE DAY.

You have the grand misogynist in this very thread being misogynistic and you want women to just get over their treatment in the past. It doesn't work that way.

Quote:
Old 08-03-2020, 04:39 PM   #9059
Mersh

Also, can we apply “get over it” to the history of a society/country. If that is the case seems like it shouldn’t just apply to those who have been wronged or had negative experiences.
Old 08-03-2020, 04:41 PM   #9060
Mersh

I’m not even getting into the discussion about what is and isn’t ongoing because that seems to be a non starter for some people (that isn’t a jab, just an observation). I’m just looking more from a historical perspective.

These Days Continue > The Continuation > nDMBc