These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > nDMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 07-30-2020, 10:04 PM   #22621
Josh.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
...but I have been drunk since March, so...
Amen brother.

Vol. 3

From this past spring:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mario View Post
Without the sort of shutdown that we're seeing now, 80% of people would be infected and 4 million people would die within three months.

With "mitigation" strategies in place (all symptomatic cases in the US in isolation. Families of those cases quarantined. All Americans over 70 social distancing) 2 million people die in the next 3 months.

BUTBUTBUTBUTBUTBUTBUTBUTBUTBUTBUTBUTBUTBUTBUT

If we ever relax the suppression levels back to "mitigation" policies, we go right back to 2 million people dead within three months.

This continues until there is a disseminated vaccine, currently 18 months from now.
Josh.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 09:42 PM   #22622
Josh.0

I currently have two very strong job prospects on the east coast, which is two more than there are in Colorado, so I’ve decided to relocate there.

Crazy five years went by this fast, but COVID or no COVID, I did what I wanted to do here and now it’s time to move on. Between the cost of living, lack of diversity, oversaturation of transplants, poor quality (and low-paying relative to the COL) job market, and sort of “middle of nowhere-ness” that I’ve gotten tired of, I’m ready to head back east.

The east coast isn’t perfect and I know there are going to be moments that I hate it, but the proximity of so many places to each other, stronger job markets (at least in my industry), significantly more prominent culture, and affordability (I’m eyeing mid sized towns)...I’m ready.

Also, at 36 Denver isn’t as cool as it was at 30. I don’t need so many urban amenities, just a few. And I miss the rain.

Vol. 3

From this past spring:

Quote:
Without the sort of shutdown that we're seeing now, 80% of people would be infected and 4 million people would die within three months.

With "mitigation" strategies in place (all symptomatic cases in the US in isolation. Families of those cases quarantined. All Americans over 70 social distancing) 2 million people die in the next 3 months.

If we ever relax the suppression levels back to "mitigation" policies, we go right back to 2 million people dead within three months.

This continues until there is a disseminated vaccine, currently 18 months from now.
Old 08-01-2020, 09:47 PM   #22623
gweeps
homesick android

Cost of living affordability and varied seasons is key to feeling comfortable anywhere.

To quote John Prine out of context, I wish you all the best.
Old 08-01-2020, 09:57 PM   #22624
Josh.0

There’s an area I have my eye on. If one particular position works out, I’ll be ecstatic to move there. It’s exactly where I want to be at this point in my life and given the crazy nature of the world.

Vol. 3

From this past spring:

Quote:

Old 08-03-2020, 03:27 PM   #22625
Wildcats82
Macho Business Donkey Wrestler

So last Thursday and Friday i was given zero work to do. Clocked in at 8am and clocked out at 4:30 PM. Literally did nothing. Today I was not given anything to do until 4:21.

One of my friends told me yesterday he wished he could get paid to literally do nothing. But I have to say as someone that has done that; it sucks.
Old 08-03-2020, 04:51 PM   #22626
K270
Kan Pai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcats82 View Post
So last Thursday and Friday i was given zero work to do. Clocked in at 8am and clocked out at 4:30 PM. Literally did nothing. Today I was not given anything to do until 4:21.

One of my friends told me yesterday he wished he could get paid to literally do nothing. But I have to say as someone that has done that; it sucks.
Sure does. When I was on disability I was just waiting to get back to work. People thought I was crazy. I told them I have nothing to do. I literally sit on my ass and do nothing. Whether its at home or sitting on the SF Bay Trail watching airplanes land at SFO, I was bored.
Old 08-03-2020, 08:06 PM   #22627
Garntd

Quote:

I'm a teacher so I get summers "off" but I usually pick up curriculum work or coaching teachers work. This summer, with covid, none of that work was available so literally did nothing from May 15th until July 14th. It was the worst 2 months of my life for mental health - I always thought I wanted to sit around and do nothing, but without unlimited money and/or things to do, it was just sitting around and getting in my own head. Sending energy your way that they find more for you to do!
Garntd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 01:48 PM   #22628
Bluewater34
Is Old

Those videos of the explosion in Beirut are crazy.
Old 08-04-2020, 01:50 PM   #22629
Wildcats82

not sure if buy the fireworks story.
Old 08-04-2020, 01:55 PM   #22630
Wildcats82

Quote:
Originally Posted by K270 View Post
Sure does. When I was on disability I was just waiting to get back to work. People thought I was crazy. I told them I have nothing to do. I literally sit on my ass and do nothing. Whether its at home or sitting on the SF Bay Trail watching airplanes land at SFO, I was bored.
Totally understand. My mind may change in 30 years but I really can't imagine not working everyday. I was unemployed for a month once and it was miserable.

My parents are retired. I called my mom a month after she retired. She told me the only thing she did that month was watch tv. I couldn't handle it.

My grandpa only retired because of health reasons. It was the worst thing to happen to him. Not working drove him crazy. He remodeled the first floor of his house because he was so bored. He volunteered at the local hospital until he was too ill to go in anymore.
Old 08-04-2020, 02:17 PM   #22631
gweeps
homesick android

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluewater34 View Post
Those videos of the explosion in Beirut are crazy.
Yeah, it's nuts.
Old 08-04-2020, 02:18 PM   #22632
gweeps
homesick android

Quote:
Hell of a lot of fireworks if true. Jeez.
Old 08-04-2020, 02:42 PM   #22633
Bluewater34
Is Old

Quote:
It looks like there was a warehouse of fireworks next to a warehouse full of amonium nitrate, which seems like a transparently awful idea. I guess the weird orange smoke after the explosion is indicative of a nitrate fire. At least that’s what I read a few minutes ago. Could well be disproved by now.
Old 08-04-2020, 03:28 PM   #22634
gweeps
homesick android

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluewater34 View Post
It looks like there was a warehouse of fireworks next to a warehouse full of amonium nitrate, which seems like a transparently awful idea.
Yeah, this is historically stupid.
Old 08-04-2020, 09:25 PM   #22635
jeff1818

Can someone give me advice on the best way to play FLAC files from Google Drive from their phone? I'm in the market for a new phone (mine is super old). I'm open to Android or iPhone tbh. Currently I'm using Cloudbeats (which is an awesome app) with my iPhone 5. FLAC files play awesome but sometimes there is static between tracks (NOT always though) and sometimes they pause between tracks (also not always - usually with long songs) (both of which are annoying). I'm thinking that it's a hardware issue (as I'm on an old iPhone). Anyways, I love connecting to Google Drive (meaning I don't want to convert files to another format, nor do I want to use Google Play or anything that allows for loss in sound quality. What are your thoughts? It's puzzling me why sometimes I experience the above issues and most of the time I do not. Thanks.
jeff1818 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 01:04 PM   #22636
gweeps
homesick android

So my ophthalmologist says because my eye is stable, pressure-wise and there's been no discernible optic nerve damage/retinal deterioration (aside from what I already have), the surgery to replace the lens will be put on the back burner for now. They want to continue waiting and seeing how things progress, plus I'm sure given that there's no emergency other cases are more pressing, and they are backed-up due to the lockdowns.

I am relieved and grateful how things are working out for now. Even though he's fairly certain surgery would be successful I am still obviously nervous, especially since I only have one working eye with about 5% total vision.

It's been a year since I was having major eye pressure issues, so that's a great run that I hope will continue. I still take eye drops daily and they are doing what they should be doing. I will probably see the doctor early next year.
Old 08-05-2020, 01:08 PM   #22637
ThememanXX
I've gotta make a destination.

That’s great news, hopefully things keep progressing and you’re able to regain some vision. Eye issues are dreadful. Modern medicine is amazing, isn’t it?
handjob on the lawn during the encore saved it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
Who'd you jerk off?
ThememanXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 01:16 PM   #22638
gweeps
homesick android

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThememanXX View Post
That’s great news, hopefully things keep progressing and you’re able to regain some vision. Eye issues are dreadful. Modern medicine is amazing, isn’t it?
Unfortunately the aim is to maintain what I have. The vision damage was caused by too much oxygen at birth, so there's very little that can be done. Too much retinal scarring and apparently that tissue is already very delicate. But perhaps an eventual replacement of my eye's lens will at least make things brighter and more defined? Anyway, thanks for the well wishes. Right now I'm simply feeling fortunate that I am hanging on to what I have.
Old 08-05-2020, 01:19 PM   #22639
ThememanXX
I've gotta make a destination.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweeps View Post
Unfortunately the aim is to maintain what I have. The vision damage was caused by too much oxygen at birth, so there's very little that can be done. Too much retinal scarring and apparently that tissue is already very delicate. But perhaps an eventual replacement of my eye's lens will at least make things brighter and more defined? Anyway, thanks for the well wishes. Right now I'm simply feeling fortunate that I am hanging on to what I have.

Argh, definitely good to maintain, too. And who knows what advances we’ll see in a decade. I was told by my ophthalmologist’s office that if it were even 10-15 years ago, I’d have likely lost my vision in my left eye. Keep on keepin’ on!
handjob on the lawn during the encore saved it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
Who'd you jerk off?
ThememanXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 01:35 PM   #22640
gweeps
homesick android

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThememanXX View Post
Argh, definitely good to maintain, too. And who knows what advances we’ll see in a decade. I was told by my ophthalmologist’s office that if it were even 10-15 years ago, I’d have likely lost my vision in my left eye. Keep on keepin’ on!
Yeah, you never know. I'm hoping stem cell research can somehow be applied to, say, regenerating retinas/corneas, etc.

I do have a bit of monocular double-vision now because of the eye pressure issues I mistook for migraines last year, and my cornea may have to be operated on at some point, too. But for now I'm holding steady thanks to caring eye care professionals and good, affordable medicines.

What was wrong with your eye?

These Days Continue > The Continuation > nDMBc