These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > nDMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 11-15-2016, 12:57 PM   #41
Caveat Emperor
The Flyin' Lions

Disc Golf Champion! Flash Poker Champion! Super Mario Flash HV Champion! Whammy Champion!
I rarely go less than 20% at a restaurant, and I'll frequently go over at lunch-type places where the bill is small to make sure the server makes $3-$4.

I rarely tip outside of a restaurant / bar type setting, though -- mostly because I seem to never have any cash on me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
What's this about 'extended delay?' Hardened boarders know TDC was only down for two days: the day it went down, and the day it went back up.
Caveat Emperor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 02:22 PM   #42
Jayes
ISO Hello Again&Broken Things

Never ever tip on carry-out. Just went and got my hair cut. Those rates have skyrocketed over the past few years. $15 came up on the screen and I cringed. I remember paying $8. And I caved and put up a dollar tip because I was a little stoned and probably not the easiest to initiate small talk with.

Ehhh, excuses. I caved. What is appropriate in the barber shop?
Jayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 02:34 PM   #43
JimBeam41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayes View Post
$5
Old 11-15-2016, 02:43 PM   #44
Caveat Emperor
The Flyin' Lions

Disc Golf Champion! Flash Poker Champion! Super Mario Flash HV Champion! Whammy Champion!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayes View Post
Never ever tip on carry-out. Just went and got my hair cut. Those rates have skyrocketed over the past few years. $15 came up on the screen and I cringed. I remember paying $8. And I caved and put up a dollar tip because I was a little stoned and probably not the easiest to initiate small talk with.

I tip 20% for haircuts as well, but I use the same person all the time.

Quote:
What's this about 'extended delay?' Hardened boarders know TDC was only down for two days: the day it went down, and the day it went back up.
Old 11-15-2016, 02:43 PM   #45
roshea999
Now that's Oldstyle

Battleship Champion! Beer Dude 2 Champion! Space Invaders Champion!
What about super cuts?
roshea999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 02:50 PM   #46
Jayes

Yeah, Borics manages not to fuck up my hair too badly most of the time. I used to use the same woman all the time at another specialty shop but when that hit $20 I was outta there. For a haircut?! 7 minutes of time for my head
Old 11-15-2016, 03:02 PM   #47
Jack
Grand Army of Letters

Quote:
Originally Posted by roshea999 View Post
What about super cuts?
Don't go there.

Another child that's grown old
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 05:50 PM   #48
roshea999
Now that's Oldstyle

Quote:
Don't go there.
Male haircuts shouldn't cost more than 20 bucks.

Probably my single least favorite normal person experience is getting a haircut. I hate everything about the process. The small talk. The sitting in and waiting.
Old 11-15-2016, 06:06 PM   #49
Jack
Grand Army of Letters

Quote:

Probably my single least favorite normal person experience is getting a haircut. I hate everything about the process. The small talk. The sitting in and waiting.
I just have the girl come to my house. And by now she knows the rules: No small talk, no eye contact. Finish. Clean Up. Get out. The money is on the porch.

Old 11-15-2016, 06:47 PM   #50
roshea999
Now that's Oldstyle

Old 11-15-2016, 06:54 PM   #51
K270
Kan Pai

I usually eat alone and my bill is never more than $15. I don't overwork the wait staff and my standard is a $3 tip. If you piss me off like forgetting to fill my empty coffee cup when my meal is brought and don't refill it until I'm done eating, you just went and fucked yourself out of the whole tip. Same goes if 5 different people serve me. It wasn't a high class restaurant, its the same level as a Dennys or ISlop. No need for a waitress to take my order, one bus boy to bring my beverage, another bus boy to bring my meal, another waiter to ask if everything is ok then the host offering to bring me my check, then forgetting, then having to be reminded and taking an additional 15 minutes to go get it. Needless to say, no tip was given and I haven't been back to that restaurant. Those were the only two times I didn't tip.
Old 11-15-2016, 06:57 PM   #52
K270
Kan Pai

Quote:

Buy a Wahl trimmer. $30 at your local drug store. Mines lasted me four years so far. Of course, I shave to down with a #1 guard and be done with it. If you want style, find an old school barber. Fuck Supercuts! Fuck Great Clips! Fuck Sportsclips! And Fuck every other hair cutting chain that only promises you 15 minutes in the chair by a fresh out of hair cutting school drop out!
Old 11-15-2016, 07:58 PM   #53
Mitch

Quote:
I just have the girl come to my house. And by now she knows the rules: No small talk, no eye contact. Finish. Clean Up. Get out. The money is on the porch.
I don't think Jack is talking about a haircut here
Mitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 11:55 PM   #54
MaLaKaS
Moore Soul

I'm a restaurant owner, so I always overcompensate when tipping.
MaLaKaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 07:45 AM   #55
Jack
Grand Army of Letters

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaLaKaS View Post
I'm a restaurant owner, so I always overcompensate when tipping.
I was behind a guy at a bar a couple years ago at a brewery tap take over thing. He ordered 3 beers. Because everything was free, there was just a tip jar on the counter. When the bartender went to get the beers I watched him go into his wallet, then stick his hands under the bar to hide them, took a hundred and folded it inside a five, so it was hidden. She came back, he threw what appeared to be $5 in the bucket and said thank you. I always thought that was straight gangsta. I later found out the guy owned a beer bar in VT so he was taking care of his own. I'll never forget that. So cool.

Old 11-17-2016, 01:53 AM   #56
MaLaKaS
Moore Soul

Quote:
I was behind a guy at a bar a couple years ago at a brewery tap take over thing. He ordered 3 beers. Because everything was free, there was just a tip jar on the counter. When the bartender went to get the beers I watched him go into his wallet, then stick his hands under the bar to hide them, took a hundred and folded it inside a five, so it was hidden. She came back, he threw what appeared to be $5 in the bucket and said thank you. I always thought that was straight gangsta. I later found out the guy owned a beer bar in VT so he was taking care of his own. I'll never forget that. So cool.

that's badass and awesome!
MaLaKaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 10:07 AM   #57
Define Dancing

Two questions:

1. Do you tip based on the percentage of the total bill at a restaurant? Or do you exclude the tax? Do you exclude the alcohol and tip that separately?

2. What is the standard for a massage? I'm getting a $59 hour long deep tissue massage tomorrow, and I plan on tipping $11. Is that reasonable?
Old 03-30-2018, 10:55 AM   #58
Jayes

Absolutely reasonable. And the experience itself will dictate deviations, obviously. As can be observed above, I do not tend to tip according to the “norm.” You earn my tip, or you get 8-15% (or less if you really suck, which has happened to me this month). Fuck off if you get upset at that. I’ve worked in service. Work hard or fuck off.
Old 03-30-2018, 11:36 AM   #59
roshea999
Now that's Oldstyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by K270 View Post
Buy a Wahl trimmer. $30 at your local drug store. Mines lasted me four years so far. Of course, I shave to down with a #1 guard and be done with it. If you want style, find an old school barber. Fuck Supercuts! Fuck Great Clips! Fuck Sportsclips! And Fuck every other hair cutting chain that only promises you 15 minutes in the chair by a fresh out of hair cutting school drop out!
I am going to a #1 for good in May.

I'll keep this in mind. Actually really looking forward to getting it over with (and the inevitable awkward conversation/exchanges when people react to it), so I don't really have to worry about my hair ever again.
Old 04-02-2018, 10:37 PM   #60
Caveat Emperor
The Flyin' Lions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Define Dancing View Post
Two questions:

1. Do you tip based on the percentage of the total bill at a restaurant? Or do you exclude the tax? Do you exclude the alcohol and tip that separately?

2. What is the standard for a massage? I'm getting a $59 hour long deep tissue massage tomorrow, and I plan on tipping $11. Is that reasonable?
1. I tip 20% of whatever the “final number” on the bill is. The only time I don’t use that is when I’ve been comped something or gotten something at reduced cost for some reason — happy hour special, item returned due to something wrong, etc. — in which case I figure what the bill should have been and tip 20% on that. The server shouldn’t suffer because I got a discount somewhere.

2. Depends on if you plan on using this masseuse again.

Quote:

These Days Continue > The Continuation > nDMBc