These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2014, 09:12 AM   #12741
Jayes
ISO Hello Again&Broken Things
 
Jayes's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2005
Location: Michigan
Posts: 9,928
Ok, because I'm bored and already too cynical, I was thinking I'd make a list of things that could've been changed and shifted my opinion of what happened out there this summer. I'm sure it will need revision. (I did have fun at my shows, but a big part of my summer is listening along as well)

106 total songs played ( DMB, a great number to bring out)

13 total absolute throw-aways (IMO: these are tunes I wouldn't bat an eye at never seeing again):

Belly Full
BDTH
Can't Stop
Everyday
Funny
Mercy
Needle
OOMH
Sledgehammer
Sister
Steady as we go
Sweet
take me to tomorrow
where are you going

5 tunes that should've kept a low play-count but that I wouldn't mind seeing PERIODICALLY:

Dirt Hill
Grey St
Seven
you and me
stolen away

Some easy replacements for the throw-aways:

Broken Things
Gaucho
LITHOG
Shotgun
Hello Again
KKJ
Captain
DOOF
FTT
Dodo/Too High
More Stay or Leave
Last Stop
Full band Beach Ball
JTR
SUAD
Sugar Will

I like SMLAM by itself and WIA, of course, but I don't care to see them close, let alone shows in a row. Here are some exchanges:

SMLAM -- What You Are
WIA -- Last Stop
Grey Street -- Hello Again
(I also think Rooftop could be a badass closer)

Props to the guys for trying a FEW tunes in both sets, however I had anticipated this happening a lot more often and with a wider selection. Pretty sure we all expected more variation in the acoustic sets altogether, but here are some tunes I cannot believe didn't get attention in that format:

Lover Lay Down
Cry Freedom
(LYD?)
Proudest Monkey
Pig
Dreaming Tree (seriously, this wouldve been cool to watch fonz learn on upright)
Spoon
Busted Stuff
Trouble With You
LITHOG
A number of DJM tunes
And maybe a few off-the-wall tunes like Rapunzel or Warehouse

There are some tunes that turned into pussified versions of themselves when Carter switched to sticks, cajon, and snare (good songs, but probably shouldve just gone back into electric rotation:

Ants
Billies
WWYS

Two Step was AWESOME and felt well-rested this summer. Very nicely done after years of bludgeoning.

Anyhow, these or a combination of a few could've really helped them out this summer. Well, and leaving the Lunch Ladies in the cafeteria.

Half-hour rehearsals and as much as a week off between shows in any given leg? These suggestions were all more than doable.
Jayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 09:36 AM   #12742
typsitch
setlist communist by necessity
 
typsitch's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 4,525
Quote:
Originally Posted by .Gary. View Post
That's a sure fire way to get people to sell their tickets.
I don't know man, that poll on ants.org show 62% approval rating for the LL.
typsitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 09:48 AM   #12743
Billy'sTV
 

Join Date: May 2005
Location: Cali
Posts: 6,417
That poll/post was created on 3/3/13 when it had been 12yrs since the ladies guested. I'd bet at least 70% of the active members on that forum have never attended a pre-2002 show (w/ the ladies).

Do that poll again now after they've leaned on them all tour and people have had their chance to see them and the results will not be as favorable.
Billy'sTV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 09:55 AM   #12744
bsan83
4, 3, 2, 1....
 
bsan83's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: MA
Posts: 26,413
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThememanXX View Post


I was all about the Ladies when they came out at Mansfield; but that soured quickly. One off? Fine. Otherwise? Gross.

If nothing else, bring out some other songs for them.....JTR, Fool to Think, True Reflections, I Did It, If I Had It All.....something different.
Different hasn't been the issue with the ladies this tour. They've done something like 12 different songs with them.

And as 2001 (and Idea of You and You and Me this year) showed with the ladies, different =/= better. Fool to Think is horrific with the ladies, and the other songs are what they are (good, bad, indifferent) with or without them.
bsan83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 09:57 AM   #12745
ThememanXX
The Real Marlins Man
 
ThememanXX's Avatar
 
Banker Brokers Champion! Suduko Champion!
Tournaments Won: 2

Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Mountain Top, PA
Posts: 29,275
Yeah, that's true. Sledgehammer and Burning Down the House closing shows....that shit is atrocious. And their idiotic improv on Drunken Soldier. Ugh.

The Ladies.
__________________
-Jason
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiddySpence View Post
handjob on the lawn during the encore saved it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
Who'd you jerk off?
ThememanXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 09:59 AM   #12746
Billy'sTV
 

Join Date: May 2005
Location: Cali
Posts: 6,417
Even Lillywhite (was his idea to bring them in for Stay) knows it was a stupid decision....

Billy'sTV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 10:46 AM   #12747
last72stop
maybe we should go dancing
 
last72stop's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 3,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayes View Post
These suggestions were all more than doable.
Some people live in a fantasy world. We all get it. It's the same tired refrain spouted off from hardcore fans since there have been forums online. Just seems crazy to go on rants and be unhappy with the band when we know what we are getting because this is how it has always been. Sure some tours have been a bit better or a bit worse, but there is really no reason other than a bunch of people hyping up "the possibilities" and then setting them as expectations (see DOOF, Trouble with You, Let You Down) to be upset with what we got in 2014. It certainly wasn't the worst tour ever. I'm not saying you have to be like me and just sit back and enjoy everything the band does, but what's the use in complaining 24/7 about the same thing over and over? I get criticisms and wishful thinking and that's cool... It just really kills any good vibes we all have together and share from loving the same band and the 20+ years of music they have given us when it is spun so negatively and basically yelling at the band to do a better job. (Feel free to insert a #DMBFamily joke here because I get it isn't cool to actually like the band anymore)

Everyone has different songs they want to hear and different favorites. That is awesome about the fan base. It just seems to get so extreme when it comes to songs that some are tired of or don't like as much. They are automatically pieces of shit, throwaways, whatever. I don't really think that's fair. At the end of the day do I want to hear Let You Down at a concert? Yes of course because I've been to about 70 shows and have never heard it. I just don't see the point in demanding the band to play things and be so unhappy with songs they are currently playing as a result. Many of the songs you listed under "throwaway" I get are personal opinions of yours and that's fine. A lot of people still really like those songs, even though they are overplayed and not at the top of the list musically or lyrically.

I know this is another same old refrain, but if the band really isn't doing it for you anymore, why stick around? Maybe tone it down? You mentioned you had fun at your shows, but seem to be upset about the watching/listening from home part because of the lack of variety, but like I said, that has always been the case. Plenty of people do still enjoy what they are doing on stage, so I'd expect them to keep doing what they're doing...
__________________
~Chet

Quote:
Originally Posted by typsitch
I do wonder though sometimes why you're on this message board or even a fan of the band. From what it sounds like, you don't really connect on any real/deep/emotional level to any of their songs
Quote:
Originally Posted by mario View Post
I used to have half a dozen friends
last72stop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 11:11 AM   #12748
mja271
 
mja271's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: CT
Posts: 8,927
How many songs have been played in both the acoustic and electric set this year?

Two Step
Ants Marching
All Along The Watchwtower
#27
Crash Into Me
What Would You Say
Save Me
Crush
Tripping Billies
Lie in Our Graves
One Sweet World
Stay
Dancing Nancies
Good Good Time
Rhyme & Reason
Grace Is Gone
Funny the Way It Is
Typical Situation

Am I missing any?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by celluloid hero View Post
Paul Bearer was Kane's father, but not Undertaker's. Taker killed his parents in a funeral home fire, but Bearer knocked up Undertaker's mom with Kane.
Quote:
Originally Posted by celluloid hero View Post
This is the most absurd post I've ever made on a message board.
mja271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 11:30 AM   #12749
Billy'sTV
 

Join Date: May 2005
Location: Cali
Posts: 6,417
Quote:
Originally Posted by typsitch View Post
I don't know man, that poll on ants.org show 62% approval rating for the LL.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy'sTV View Post
That poll/post was created on 3/3/13 when it had been 12yrs since the ladies guested. I'd bet at least 70% of the active members on that forum have never attended a pre-2002 show (w/ the ladies).

Do that poll again now after they've leaned on them all tour and people have had their chance to see them and the results will not be as favorable.
Here we go:

Would you like The Lovely Ladies to return in 2015?
Yes
No

[Only registered users can see links.]


.

Last edited by Billy'sTV; 09-02-2014 at 12:24 PM.
Billy'sTV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 11:47 AM   #12750
last72stop
maybe we should go dancing
 
last72stop's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 3,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by mja271 View Post
How many songs have been played in both the acoustic and electric set this year?

Two Step
Ants Marching
All Along The Watchwtower
#27
Crash Into Me
What Would You Say
Save Me
Crush
Tripping Billies
Lie in Our Graves
One Sweet World
Stay
Dancing Nancies
Good Good Time
Rhyme & Reason
Grace Is Gone
Funny the Way It Is
Typical Situation

Am I missing any?
Sister
__________________
~Chet

Quote:
Originally Posted by typsitch
I do wonder though sometimes why you're on this message board or even a fan of the band. From what it sounds like, you don't really connect on any real/deep/emotional level to any of their songs
Quote:
Originally Posted by mario View Post
I used to have half a dozen friends
last72stop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 12:56 PM   #12751
Jonas
BLUFF
 
Jonas's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Grayson, GA
Posts: 3,344
Quote:
Originally Posted by last72stop View Post
Some people live in a fantasy world. We all get it. It's the same tired refrain spouted off from hardcore fans since there have been forums online. Just seems crazy to go on rants and be unhappy with the band when we know what we are getting because this is how it has always been. Sure some tours have been a bit better or a bit worse, but there is really no reason other than a bunch of people hyping up "the possibilities" and then setting them as expectations (see DOOF, Trouble with You, Let You Down) to be upset with what we got in 2014. It certainly wasn't the worst tour ever. I'm not saying you have to be like me and just sit back and enjoy everything the band does, but what's the use in complaining 24/7 about the same thing over and over? I get criticisms and wishful thinking and that's cool... It just really kills any good vibes we all have together and share from loving the same band and the 20+ years of music they have given us when it is spun so negatively and basically yelling at the band to do a better job. (Feel free to insert a #DMBFamily joke here because I get it isn't cool to actually like the band anymore)

Everyone has different songs they want to hear and different favorites. That is awesome about the fan base. It just seems to get so extreme when it comes to songs that some are tired of or don't like as much. They are automatically pieces of shit, throwaways, whatever. I don't really think that's fair. At the end of the day do I want to hear Let You Down at a concert? Yes of course because I've been to about 70 shows and have never heard it. I just don't see the point in demanding the band to play things and be so unhappy with songs they are currently playing as a result. Many of the songs you listed under "throwaway" I get are personal opinions of yours and that's fine. A lot of people still really like those songs, even though they are overplayed and not at the top of the list musically or lyrically.

I know this is another same old refrain, but if the band really isn't doing it for you anymore, why stick around? Maybe tone it down? You mentioned you had fun at your shows, but seem to be upset about the watching/listening from home part because of the lack of variety, but like I said, that has always been the case. Plenty of people do still enjoy what they are doing on stage, so I'd expect them to keep doing what they're doing...

If the band isnt going to step their game up, they need to step their prices down to the nostalgic level they are at. When you play 95% of your setlist as a greatest hits you've hit that level. I'll gladly admit after the show I saw this year at Lakewood I wont pay that for them again.
__________________
-Adam
06.06.01, 07.08.02, 03.28.03 (I'm the reason Dave sang the Watermelon song), 03.29.03, 09.19.03, 09.20.03, 07.27.04, 08.15.06, 09.08.07 (Piedmont), 07.07.08, 08.01.08, 04.25.09, 04.29.09, 07.27.10, 05.22.12
Jonas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 01:23 PM   #12752
Billy'sTV
 

Join Date: May 2005
Location: Cali
Posts: 6,417
Here's a snap that a fan took/posted to reddit of the travel itinerary for Gorge N3. Ladies are traveling w/ DMB to LA presumably for both SoCal shows.

Kinda funny Boyd isn't mentioned but that might be because he's said he's going to the US Open this week (which is all the way cross country in New York).....

Spoiler:



Last edited by Billy'sTV; 09-03-2014 at 06:38 AM.
Billy'sTV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 01:25 PM   #12753
celluloid hero
 
celluloid hero's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 9,686
Ha, no one keeps tabs on what Boyd does from show to show, I guess.
celluloid hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 01:28 PM   #12754
roshea999
Now that's Oldstyle
 
roshea999's Avatar
 
Battleship Champion! Beer Dude 2 Champion! Space Invaders Champion!
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Denver, Colorado
Posts: 9,273
So dave flies separately? (Assuming he'll chill in Seattle until Thursday?) Stefan not flying?
roshea999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 02:30 PM   #12755
Tambourine Man
now in Capshaw Blue
 
Tambourine Man's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: behind the miller's shed
Posts: 14,430
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy'sTV View Post
Here we go:

Would you like The Lovely Ladies to return in 2015?
Yes
No

[Only registered users can see links.]


.
4 Yes
58 No

I'm surprised at Ants
Tambourine Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 02:30 PM   #12756
cgator41
Johnny Mac
 
cgator41's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,495
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas View Post
If the band isnt going to step their game up, they need to step their prices down to the nostalgic level they are at. When you play 95% of your setlist as a greatest hits you've hit that level. I'll gladly admit after the show I saw this year at Lakewood I wont pay that for them again.
Nostalgic acts (at least ones that were huge) often charge more than "regular" acts.
cgator41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 02:36 PM   #12757
cgator41
Johnny Mac
 
cgator41's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,495
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThememanXX View Post
Yeah, that's true. Sledgehammer and Burning Down the House closing shows....that shit is atrocious. And their idiotic improv on Drunken Soldier. Ugh.

The Ladies.
No argument here. If Dave needs backup vocalists because of his voice, get a couple of people who can sing harmonies that just stay in the background. Not every song has to turn into gospel hour.
cgator41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 02:39 PM   #12758
DMBCLSTJ
 
DMBCLSTJ's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 5,058
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgator41 View Post
No argument here. If Dave needs backup vocalists because of his voice, get a couple of people who can sing harmonies that just stay in the background. Not every song has to turn into gospel hour.
But I see an Angel an the CORNER over there!
DMBCLSTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 02:40 PM   #12759
Mitch
Moderator
 
Mitch's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Long Island
Posts: 13,870
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgator41 View Post
Nostalgic acts (at least ones that were huge) often charge more than "regular" acts.
That's what I was thinking..... but like you allude to, there's a wide range of nostalgia acts. There's the Eagles, etc., and then there's Journey, etc..
Mitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 03:57 PM   #12760
.Gary.
 
.Gary.'s Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 2,288
I remember a time when a set with just 3 Everyday songs was a great set. Who knew we'd get to this point.
.Gary. is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:24 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2006 thesedayscontinue.org

Page generated in 0.15273 seconds with 23 queries