Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 07-26-2018, 07:36 AM   #21841
Mitch

Matlock was good TV!
Mitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 09:20 AM   #21842
ThememanXX
The Real Marlins Man

Banker Brokers Champion! Suduko Champion!
Tournaments Won: 2

handjob on the lawn during the encore saved it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
Who'd you jerk off?
ThememanXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 12:35 PM   #21843
gweeps

Quote:
Matlock was good TV!

The best Andy Griffith show.
gweeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 12:39 PM   #21844
gweeps

I think this explains my current situation.

For nearly two decades, the disability pension I receive from the Ontario government has allowed me to live in my one bedroom apartment in downtown Kingston. This location, on the corner of Princess and Victoria, has provided me opportunities to meet many good people and contribute to my community, both financially and through volunteering. It has also afforded me the ability to navigate the area without too much trouble. I am close to much of what I need and want.

Come the end of November that will drastically change. I have been served a notice of eviction from the owner of the property. The plan of the companies involved is to erect a 10-story condominium building. Hopefully it will raise the vacancy rate in this city, currently at under 1%. But I have my doubts. Even if law requires new buildings have a certain amount of affordable units, it will probably be a paltry sum. I saw one proposal for an upcoming project that had 12 units earmarked as affordable out of over 220. For business folks, and the city, it seems there’s no profit in helping people live with some pride. No one will say this is their aim, but we see the results.

The Ontario government, regardless of party colour, appears to lead the way in this collective apathy. Individually, probably most government employees and business people are decent, upstanding human beings and citizens of this province.

But they and the policymakers uphold a social safety net, particularly Ontario Works and Ontario Disability Supports Program (of which I am on) that is woefully broken. The monthly rates are abysmal. Mine is $1151 per month. My research suggests I am at least $7,000 below the poverty line for a single person in Ontario. I’ve managed to subsist on my allotment only because of my long tenancy. Soon I shall learn just how far that really goes in today’s world.

I simply want to keep my home, which is safe and affordable and allows me the ability to be a member of my community on my terms. The predicament I’m in is a nightmare finally realized.

But I have to move. The circumstances under which I must aren’t unfair. I don’t own the land I’m currently living on for a few more months. The landlord has been as fair as the law requires. But my lack of inexpensive options is appalling. This is bigger than me, and is a microcosm of the larger malfunction.

I may end up staying with family in town and putting most of my stuff in a storage facility until I can find a place of my own again. I’m trying to remain optimistic.
Old 07-27-2018, 12:54 PM   #21845
Mitch

Best of luck, gweeps. Try to stay positive, things will work out ok in the end.
Mitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 04:29 PM   #21846
Jayes
ISO Hello Again&Broken Things

Stuff That Doesn't Need Its Own Thread

Wishing you the best, Gweeps. This may also contain a few disguised blessings, which is what I’m hoping for you

I understand the stress and fear of not knowing, though. I committed to moving to Flagstaff with my lady in March. We signed a lease in June and we move next month. Last week I FINALLY landed a job. I was getting pretty nervous.

This week, one of the companies I work for here in Michigan offered me a potential way to stay involved with them as well. Anyhow, the point is that it looks pretty scary from this side, but you may be pleasantly surprised if you keep your head up
Jayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 09:34 PM   #21847
sean52692
You failed this band

That's unfair as hell, gweeps. Sorry to hear that's happening to you. It can be really unnerving to be forced to make a sudden and unexpected move like that, especially when you've lived there for so long and have put down roots. I hope you're able to lean on family and friends to get through this transition.

Things change. Now you'll have an opportunity to be somewhere new. While the transition might be difficult, I'm sure there will be some good on the other side.

Your story is why I fully intend to buy property soon.
sean52692 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 01:12 PM   #21848
MaLaKaS
Moore Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweeps View Post

For nearly two decades, the disability pension I receive from the Ontario government has allowed me to live in my one bedroom apartment in downtown Kingston. This location, on the corner of Princess and Victoria, has provided me opportunities to meet many good people and contribute to my community, both financially and through volunteering. It has also afforded me the ability to navigate the area without too much trouble. I am close to much of what I need and want.

Come the end of November that will drastically change. I have been served a notice of eviction from the owner of the property. The plan of the companies involved is to erect a 10-story condominium building. Hopefully it will raise the vacancy rate in this city, currently at under 1%. But I have my doubts. Even if law requires new buildings have a certain amount of affordable units, it will probably be a paltry sum. I saw one proposal for an upcoming project that had 12 units earmarked as affordable out of over 220. For business folks, and the city, it seems thereís no profit in helping people live with some pride. No one will say this is their aim, but we see the results.

The Ontario government, regardless of party colour, appears to lead the way in this collective apathy. Individually, probably most government employees and business people are decent, upstanding human beings and citizens of this province.

But they and the policymakers uphold a social safety net, particularly Ontario Works and Ontario Disability Supports Program (of which I am on) that is woefully broken. The monthly rates are abysmal. Mine is $1151 per month. My research suggests I am at least $7,000 below the poverty line for a single person in Ontario. Iíve managed to subsist on my allotment only because of my long tenancy. Soon I shall learn just how far that really goes in todayís world.

I simply want to keep my home, which is safe and affordable and allows me the ability to be a member of my community on my terms. The predicament Iím in is a nightmare finally realized.

But I have to move. The circumstances under which I must arenít unfair. I donít own the land Iím currently living on for a few more months. The landlord has been as fair as the law requires. But my lack of inexpensive options is appalling. This is bigger than me, and is a microcosm of the larger malfunction.

I may end up staying with family in town and putting most of my stuff in a storage facility until I can find a place of my own again. Iím trying to remain optimistic.
Gweeps, I'm so sorry to hear what you have been experiencing, with these upcoming changes. It's not fair at all, especially to treat people with disabilities like this. You have helped me so much through my dark times as of late and I want to be here for you too. I'm your friend and I'm here with whatever you need, even if it's just to talk.
MaLaKaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 01:17 PM   #21849
Josh.0

Quote:

Come the end of November that will drastically change. I have been served a notice of eviction from the owner of the property. The plan of the companies involved is to erect a 10-story condominium building. Hopefully it will raise the vacancy rate in this city, currently at under 1%. But I have my doubts. Even if law requires new buildings have a certain amount of affordable units, it will probably be a paltry sum. I saw one proposal for an upcoming project that had 12 units earmarked as affordable out of over 220. For business folks, and the city, it seems thereís no profit in helping people live with some pride. No one will say this is their aim, but we see the results.

But they and the policymakers uphold a social safety net, particularly Ontario Works and Ontario Disability Supports Program (of which I am on) that is woefully broken. The monthly rates are abysmal. Mine is $1151 per month. My research suggests I am at least $7,000 below the poverty line for a single person in Ontario. Iíve managed to subsist on my allotment only because of my long tenancy. Soon I shall learn just how far that really goes in todayís world.

I simply want to keep my home, which is safe and affordable and allows me the ability to be a member of my community on my terms. The predicament Iím in is a nightmare finally realized.

But I have to move. The circumstances under which I must arenít unfair. I donít own the land Iím currently living on for a few more months. The landlord has been as fair as the law requires. But my lack of inexpensive options is appalling. This is bigger than me, and is a microcosm of the larger malfunction.

I may end up staying with family in town and putting most of my stuff in a storage facility until I can find a place of my own again. Iím trying to remain optimistic.
Gweeps, genuinely curious: are you able to work? Or is your only income that from the disability program and if you work youíll lose it?

This is not a criticism in any way, Iím trying to understand how disability programs work in Canada and understand if there are any income limitations.
Just so you know, B.B.C. stands for Bitch Be Cool.
Quote:
You know what else it stands for though, right?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimBeam41 View Post
I cant wait for him to google that
30 minutes later

Quote:
Originally Posted by K270 View Post
You guys are sick.
Josh.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 01:33 PM   #21850
Jack
Grand Army of Letters

Damn gweeps. very sorry this has all come to a head and your worst fears over the last few months (year?) have been realized. Mitch is right, you have to stay positive. Things will find a way to work out. Sometimes change can be a goodrhing, no matter how scary it may seem.

Another child that's grown old
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 07:47 PM   #21851
gweeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh.0 View Post
Gweeps, genuinely curious: are you able to work? Or is your only income that from the disability program and if you work youíll lose it?

This is not a criticism in any way, Iím trying to understand how disability programs work in Canada and understand if there are any income limitations.
Yes, my eyesight is severe enough to prevent me from working many jobs, including cab driver or construction. I'd have to get some sort of specialty work, but due to various reasons I don't have higher education beyond high school. And the pension I'm on is so far below the poverty line I'd obviously need to find something that pays me more. If the provincial government ever tried to get people to work for their welfare or disability pension I think it would be only fair to at least raise it to the poverty line and go from there. Why should I work even a minimum wage job if what I'm allowed to keep is less than if a non-disabled person were doing it?

I volunteer regularly at a drop-in center where I do a variety of service type tasks. Waiter stuff. But I get to interact with a swath of folks in similar or completely different circumstances. Some folks are physically/learning disabled, others mentally ill. Or both. Some are looking for work, etc.. There are students that volunteer often as Kingston is a college/university town. Other volunteers include middle-class retirees, working professionals, people on work programs or parole, so the experience has been amazing. I've met people of all walks there. Been helping out around there for 4 years now. I used to just shpw up and eat and drink and sit around. I became friends with some of the older folks who volunteer there and now I help them do what they do. Of course not all the people I volunteer with are over 70.

I'm not an invalid. If you met me, unless you noticed my right eye was smaller than my left and saw me read something extremely close up, you wouldn't think there was anything wrong. Like mental illness. If it's simply depression, people may not notice.

The work I do over there - and it is work - is fulfilling. People know me to see me and make note of when I'm absent. Who doesn't want to feel cared about?

Does anybody know I post at this place? I don't think so.

So we'll see what happens. I'm searching for a new place. Sadly, if I find one before the end of November and when I find one, it'll probably be smaller, more expensive and farther away. But it'll be a place I can (sorta) afford, which is key right now. Almost 20 years. That's a long damn time to be living in one place.
Old 07-31-2018, 07:48 PM   #21852
gweeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
Damn gweeps. very sorry this has all come to a head and your worst fears over the last few months (year?) have been realized. Mitch is right, you have to stay positive. Things will find a way to work out. Sometimes change can be a goodrhing, no matter how scary it may seem.
Thanks Jack. Scary is a good word. I've got enough against me as is.
Old 07-31-2018, 09:19 PM   #21853
SoftMacho
Moore Soul

Hope it works out for you, gweeps. Sending positive thoughts your way
SoftMacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 11:54 PM   #21854
Josh.0

Quote:
Yes, my eyesight is severe enough to prevent me from working many jobs, including cab driver or construction. I'd have to get some sort of specialty work, but due to various reasons I don't have higher education beyond high school. And the pension I'm on is so far below the poverty line I'd obviously need to find something that pays me more. If the provincial government ever tried to get people to work for their welfare or disability pension I think it would be only fair to at least raise it to the poverty line and go from there. Why should I work even a minimum wage job if what I'm allowed to keep is less than if a non-disabled person were doing it?

I volunteer regularly at a drop-in center where I do a variety of service type tasks. Waiter stuff. But I get to interact with a swath of folks in similar or completely different circumstances. Some folks are physically/learning disabled, others mentally ill. Or both. Some are looking for work, etc.. There are students that volunteer often as Kingston is a college/university town. Other volunteers include middle-class retirees, working professionals, people on work programs or parole, so the experience has been amazing. I've met people of all walks there. Been helping out around there for 4 years now. I used to just shpw up and eat and drink and sit around. I became friends with some of the older folks who volunteer there and now I help them do what they do. Of course not all the people I volunteer with are over 70.

I'm not an invalid. If you met me, unless you noticed my right eye was smaller than my left and saw me read something extremely close up, you wouldn't think there was anything wrong. Like mental illness. If it's simply depression, people may not notice.

The work I do over there - and it is work - is fulfilling. People know me to see me and make note of when I'm absent. Who doesn't want to feel cared about?

Does anybody know I post at this place? I don't think so.

So we'll see what happens. I'm searching for a new place. Sadly, if I find one before the end of November and when I find one, it'll probably be smaller, more expensive and farther away. But it'll be a place I can (sorta) afford, which is key right now. Almost 20 years. That's a long damn time to be living in one place.
Thanks for sharing all of this. I have to say I was genuinely surprised to hear you havenít attended any kind of university because youíre one of the best writers on this site. Do you think you have any opportunities you could pursue in writing? It seems like a natural talent for you.
Just so you know, B.B.C. stands for Bitch Be Cool.
Quote:
You know what else it stands for though, right?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimBeam41 View Post
I cant wait for him to google that
30 minutes later

Quote:
Originally Posted by K270 View Post
You guys are sick.
Josh.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 11:55 PM   #21855
gweeps

And now Ontario's fearless new Conservative Party has decided to cut social assistance rates in half and cancel the Universal Basic Income pilot. People are so afraid of taxes being raised. The jackals know this and apply it every time. If taxation was fair and the money went where it was supposed to go, no one would be scared of higher taxes. But we know who really is petrified of them, don't we? If rich folks didn't squirrel away their money elsewhere, costing the province billions in taxable income every year. But this shit happens everywhere. More of us, less for them.

Quote:
Asked if her government would support the workfare programs brought in by former Conservative Premier Mike Harris in the 1990s, MacLeod pointed out that the review of programs was just getting started.

She added that the ďbest social program is a job for those who can get one.Ē

Workfare required people on social assistance to volunteer in ďcommunity placementsĒ or go to retraining programs in order to receive their social assistance payments.
[Only registered users can see links.]

This is the fucking point. Hell, even fully abled folks are having a hell of a time finding work. Plus a job is essentially wage slavery. You don't own anything at the end of the day. You are a consumer that hopes you can continue to afford that which you consume. Food, electricity, heat, water, sewage, etc. etc. For you and your family. At some point the owners are laughing themselves all the way to the golf course.

And speaking of workfare, if I'm forced to "volunteer" for my pension, I better not be consigned to this paltry sum. Apparently though, because I can't work as hard and as efficiently as others I don't deserve to have any comforts in my life.

These ideologies are a detriment to economies as a whole. "Survival of the fittest" eventually leaves a lot of people dead. I guess that's the unstated goal. Pull yourself up by your bootstraps? Some people literally can't do that, let alone metaphorically. Fuck.
Old 08-01-2018, 12:13 AM   #21856
gweeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh.0 View Post
Thanks for sharing all of this. I have to say I was genuinely surprised to hear you havenít attended any kind of university because youíre one of the best writers on this site. Do you think you have any opportunities you could pursue in writing? It seems like a natural talent for you.
I'm unsure. I know I have some talent. Just where do I place it?

Look, I'm not going to deny I've become institutionalized to this program I live under. But the point is, if the pension I live on wasn't constantly under siege, I'd be able to pursue my interests wherever they may take me. I wouldn't have to worry about affording a new place to live and how much is going to be left over for food, let alone posting here. If I'm given a hand, I can help my community in the ways I'm capable of. It's a fair exchange. I can't necessarily go out and earn with the same stamina as the next guy. But I can pitch in as best as I can. For some, that's never going to be enough. They want to set examples.
Old 08-03-2018, 10:47 AM   #21857
bassplayer22

Anybody looking for Lady Antebellum tickets for tonight in Holmdel, NJ?

I bought tickets for my aunt but she cant use them now.

Good seats.
bassplayer22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 08:22 AM   #21858
gweeps

Old 08-11-2018, 07:16 PM   #21859
Wildcats82
Macho Business Donkey Wrestler

If ya'll are looking for a party tonight, I checked in Bubba Sparxx, Chingy, the Ying Yang Twins, and Yung Joc to my hotel. 3rd floor is gonna be off the hook tonight
Old 08-12-2018, 07:28 AM   #21860
Jayes
ISO Hello Again&Broken Things

Stuff That Doesn't Need Its Own Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcats82 View Post
If ya'll are looking for a party tonight, I checked in Bubba Sparxx, Chingy, the Ying Yang Twins, and Yung Joc to my hotel. 3rd floor is gonna be off the hook tonight

I dont recognize a single name in that list. Oughtta be a millennial rager! Is 6ix9ine going to be in attendance as well?!!?

EDIT: Probably not, he is busy showing up for his guilty verdict in this outfit:

Spoiler:
seriously, though, he went to court for his second round of serious sexual charges dressed like this. #greatestgeneration
Jayes is offline   Reply With Quote

These Days Continue > The Continuation > nDMBc