These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > nDMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 11-17-2017, 09:45 AM   #2521
CRUSHsoccer15

Old 11-17-2017, 12:20 PM   #2522
greykitkat36

That was awesome. They just keep getting better and better as a band, it’s nice to see. Bobby sounds great, and Mayer well we all know how good he is right now.
Old 11-17-2017, 02:23 PM   #2523
Mitch

Not to rain on anyone’s parade, and to each his own, but some of the Dead & Co praise is a bit much. They’re no better, IMO, than Phil and Friends, Terrapin Family Band, JRAD, etc. What about Furthur from a few years back, which had Bobby and Phil, with Joe Russo, Jeff Chimenti, and John Kadlecik? That lineup kicked some ass. But this one has the John Mayer crossover appeal and “Dead” in the name and thus the bigger venues. That’s the difference. Not that there’s anything wrong with any of it, it’s all good. But none of them are the GD. But they’re all keeping the music and scene alive, which is the best part.
Mitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 03:02 PM   #2524
Jack
Grand Army of Letters

I personally enjoy Mayer's voice the most. But, I would rather go to a JRAD show than any at this point, I think.

Another child that's grown old
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 03:56 PM   #2525
Mersh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
Not to rain on anyone’s parade, and to each his own, but some of the Dead & Co praise is a bit much. They’re no better, IMO, than Phil and Friends, Terrapin Family Band, JRAD, etc. What about Furthur from a few years back, which had Bobby and Phil, with Joe Russo, Jeff Chimenti, and John Kadlecik? That lineup kicked some ass. But this one has the John Mayer crossover appeal and “Dead” in the name and thus the bigger venues. That’s the difference. Not that there’s anything wrong with any of it, it’s all good. But none of them are the GD. But they’re all keeping the music and scene alive, which is the best part.
That was the 2011 Further lineup. Caught a couple great shows on that tour.
Mersh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 04:09 PM   #2526
Mitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mersh View Post
That was the 2011 Further lineup. Caught a couple great shows on that tour.
yeah, that lineup was together for several years. Good stuff.

Kadlicek is the one who got kinda screwed when they went with Trey for FTW and then Mayer. But understandably, he wasn’t gonna sell any tickets.
Old 11-20-2017, 02:01 PM   #2527
greykitkat36

Quote:
Yeah I don’t think anyone’s saying Dead and Co are “better” than any other incarnation. Furthur was great although Kaliedieck was really a jerry “copy” so to speak, which is nice to an extent but also doesn’t allow any growth so to speak musicially. What Mayer brings to it for me is he’s bringing a refreshing taste in sound to the music—to the point where it doesn’t seem so much like a “cover band” of the dead but rather an extension or a new era, imo. My only really gripe with Dead and Co is that Mickey and Bill are hit and miss night to night—some nights play really slow and sloppy as can be. They aren’t really the most talented drummers at the current moment, but they are ORIGINAL members, so I get that. The other gripe is Bobby singing too many songs. But it seems that it with every tour they are slowing giving Mayer and Oteil more of the singing duties.
Old 11-21-2017, 12:27 PM   #2528
Mitch

44 year anniversary of this BEAST. (I knew I could find a previous mention of it to quote rather than type out again

Quote:
Drummer, I forgot this show was in the Road Trips series when we were discussing it a little while back, and I don't think it's one of the ones you said you were eyeing, but it is a fantastic show and has this amazing sequence in set 2:
Mississippi Half Step-> Playin' In The Band-> El Paso-> Playin' In The Band-> Wharf Rat-> Playin' In The Band-> Morning Dew
... and then, as if that wasn't enough, they rip through a killer Truckin->Nobody's Fault But Mine-> Goin' Down the Road Feelin' Bad right after that. And the 1st set rips, to boot.
I think you get the picture, this is probably the must-get from the Road Trips series.

edit: Oh, I'm talking about 11.21.73 Denver, CO
Old 11-21-2017, 02:27 PM   #2529
BrokenThings
FestivalFootprints.com

These past two nights at the Boston Garden this weekend we're insane. Without a doubt dead and company keeps getting better and better. On Sunday night during the second set John Mayer put on a half hour clinic on how to play the guitar and it was mind blowing..

Last time Mayer played the Garden I was there...co bill with Ben Folds opening in July of 2007...and I was being told to put out my joint...

Boy how things change..
BrokenThings is offline   Reply With Quote

These Days Continue > The Continuation > nDMBc