These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > nDMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 11-30-2015, 12:42 PM   #1
Josh.0

Shitty injuries you currently have or have experienced before

Hi all.

I am currently very bummed. I tore my calf on Saturday playing flag football. It dawned on me that this is probably the worst injury I've ever had, sans a severely sprained ankle I got just before last Christmas that took four months to heal and to this day still has some scar tissue built up around it.

The calf injury itself was more surprising than painful. We had been playing for about two hours and I was perfectly fine, then suddenly, while coming off the line to run a route, I heard a "snap" and then what felt like a blunt "thud" in the back of my left calf. Originally I thought someone threw a snowball that hit me flush in the calf, both because of the sound and because of the numbness that immediately set in. After a few seconds, I realized something much more severe had happened when my entire calf tightened up and I couldn't flex my foot upward whatsoever.

Pain eventually set in and now I can't walk; all I can really do is shuffle around. The good thing is the pain isn't severe unless I try to lift my toes while "walking" and after purchasing a leg compression sleeve I don't really notice the injury unless I try to walk.

Sucks because this is going to severely cut into my gym time for at least a month or two, which is something I haven't had to deal with for that long. Looks like I'll be all upper body and no legs come the end of the year. Bummer.

Anyone else gone through similar, freak injuries?
Just so you know, B.B.C. stands for Bitch Be Cool.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
You know what else it stands for though, right?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimBeam41 View Post
I cant wait for him to google that
30 minutes later

Quote:
Originally Posted by K270 View Post
You guys are sick.

Last edited by Josh.0; 11-30-2015 at 12:57 PM.
Josh.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 01:11 PM   #2
mja271

I've generally been pretty healthy, but back in my senior year of high school i rolled my ankle on the edge of one of those plastic pitching mounds during the offseason while doing some drills, and it was a damn mess. Luckily it wasn't broken but it was a severe high ankle sprain with a bit of ligament damage. It's fine now, but cost me the rest of my baseball career.
Quote:
Originally Posted by celluloid hero View Post
This is the most absurd post I've ever made on a message board.
mja271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 01:37 PM   #3
djrogyrog
Piss Off

Shit Josh. I'm sorry to hear about this. Get well soon, bud.

Any plans for rehab? Have you talked to any PTs?
djrogyrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 02:01 PM   #4
Wildcats82
Macho Business Donkey Wrestler

I've broken my right ankle once and severely sprained it twice. It crackles when I walk and I barely have to move it for it to hurt like hell
Old 11-30-2015, 02:09 PM   #5
RageATL
The Dude abides

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh.0 View Post
Hi all.

I am currently very bummed. I tore my calf on Saturday playing flag football. It dawned on me that this is probably the worst injury I've ever had, sans a severely sprained ankle I got just before last Christmas that took four months to heal and to this day still has some scar tissue built up around it.

The calf injury itself was more surprising than painful. We had been playing for about two hours and I was perfectly fine, then suddenly, while coming off the line to run a route, I heard a "snap" and then what felt like a blunt "thud" in the back of my left calf. Originally I thought someone threw a snowball that hit me flush in the calf, both because of the sound and because of the numbness that immediately set in. After a few seconds, I realized something much more severe had happened when my entire calf tightened up and I couldn't flex my foot upward whatsoever.

Pain eventually set in and now I can't walk; all I can really do is shuffle around. The good thing is the pain isn't severe unless I try to lift my toes while "walking" and after purchasing a leg compression sleeve I don't really notice the injury unless I try to walk.

Sucks because this is going to severely cut into my gym time for at least a month or two, which is something I haven't had to deal with for that long. Looks like I'll be all upper body and no legs come the end of the year. Bummer.

Anyone else gone through similar, freak injuries?
Ugh, sorry to hear that, man...get better soon! I can certainly relate as I'm currently dealing with a broken left ankle that I suffered back on 11/1.

I had just gotten back home on Sunday morning from a rainy and wet weekend camping trip and was SO ready to be back home and dry. After I unloaded my gear and dried everything off, I nestled in my favorite chair for some brews and football, awaiting the 4PM NYJ/OAK game in an empty home (the lady was up in NJ visiting family). Welp, come 6PM-ish, the Jets were getting routinely trounced as they wont to do, so I decided to head downstairs to listen to some music so I could disengage and try not to be super pissed after the loss. I get everything set up downstairs, run back up to grab a CD and in hauling ass back downstairs, slipped on the stair that turns the corner down the next short flight and crumble to the foyer at the bottom. After peeling myself off the ground, I held out a ton of hope for a sprained ankle but seeing as how I actually heard the bone crack, I knew the prognosis was not good. After pulling myself up, grabbing my phone and calling my lady in NJ and my Mom down the road, I hopped on my good foot into the garage, grabbed a bucket we use to wash the cars, hopped back upstairs, filled it with ice and water, put the bucket in front of my chair, soaked my foot in it and finished watching the rest of the games as I didn't feel like spending the rest of the night in the ER. After the games, I dragged my ass upstairs to bed and promptly passed out at like 8:30PM from sheer exhaustion.

Anyway, I got up the next morning, went to the ER, got a splint and some crutches, saw a podiatrist a few days later who confirmed the break (thankfully, I narrowly avoided surgery) and have been in a non-walking boot ever since. Will be in it until 12/15 after which I (hopefully) will get a walking boot and will stay in that for a few weeks.

Needless to say, it has really put a damper on my overall mood especially during this time of year as Thanksgiving is/was my favorite holiday. I am a very active person/busy body who likes to get a lot of things done around the house in terms of general upkeep as well as errands and it has grinded all of that to a screeching halt. Not to mention, I live in a cozy 3-story town home that is a bitch to get around in when on crutches. I will say this though, having a good woman by your side during times like these is immeasurable. I have been an absolute bear to be around cuz I can't come and go as I please without an extreme amount of effort and it makes me crazy to be cooped up all the time. The girl is an angel for sticking by me the way she does.

I'm glad you created this thread as I almost posted this in the "Depression" thread a few weeks ago.

My DMB Almanac: http://dmbalmanac.com/Member.aspx?number=576

Last edited by RageATL; 11-30-2015 at 02:30 PM.
RageATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 03:46 PM   #6
Jayes
ISO Hello Again&Broken Things

Damn, sad to hear you guys are hurt! I've been lucky to avoid serious injury since my broken finger in 3rd grade
Jayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 05:18 PM   #7
JustinC

You know those sharp baseboard heat metal fins?

Ya one of those went straight thru the back of my foot.
JustinC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 05:27 PM   #8
RageATL
The Dude abides

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinC View Post
You know those sharp baseboard heat metal fins?

Ya one of those went straight thru the back of my foot.
That sounds effin painful.

Old 11-30-2015, 06:55 PM   #9
MaLaKaS
Moore Soul

Shitty injuries you currently have or have experienced before

I broke my left collarbone once and my right collarbone twice growing up. When I was a freshman in high school, I suffered testicular torsion. Then in college I broke my right hand. Luckily, I've been good since then.
MaLaKaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 07:15 PM   #10
gweeps

Josh and RageATL, I hope you both heal up as quickly and sufficiently as possible.

There are two injuries I remember vividly to this day.

I ran into someone at gym in my public school days. Sprained my right foot. Horrific pain in the short term. Could barely walk. Any pressure at all would bring such terrible pain.

A few years later I broke my left leg playing soccer. 2 bones. A clean break thankfully. Pain was only really bad when I had the leg up on two pillows.

It's interesting to think of how shock plays a large role in how much pain you register.

I could get hooked on the drug they gave me at the hospital after it happened. It worked incredibly fast. It felt like I was separated from the pain, looking at it as if it were a science experiment. Incredible. Not sure if it was morphine, but goddamn I wanted more.

I foolishly forgot completely about physio after I could walk again. I think that's probably why I can't crouch much anymore without pain in both legs. I do get some aching when it rains but I think maybe that's a given.

During the healing I used crutches, a wheelchair, a walker, a walking boot and a cane. I believe I covered all the bases.

Last edited by gweeps; 12-01-2015 at 01:34 AM.
gweeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 07:16 PM   #11
gweeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaLaKaS View Post
When I was a freshman in high school, I suffered testicular torsion.
FUCK!
gweeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 07:39 PM   #12
Mitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaLaKaS View Post
When I was a freshman in high school, I suffered testicular torsion.
Ouch. Malakas wins. Or loses, depending on how you look at it.

I broke my collarbone in a motorcycle accident my 2nd week in college (plus had internal bleeding, and they thought I suffered brain damage at first because one of my pupils was real big and one real small. Put me through a shit load of tests. No brain damage. Although sometimes I wonder). That was my worst injury, but it really wasn't that bad.
Mitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 07:45 PM   #13
MaLaKaS
Moore Soul

I wish everyone a speedy recovery. Being injured sucks.
Old 11-30-2015, 08:27 PM   #14
RageATL
The Dude abides

Thanks, gweeps...I appreciate it!

Old 11-30-2015, 09:05 PM   #15
MaLaKaS
Moore Soul

I'm MaLaKaS, but you're welcome
Old 11-30-2015, 09:40 PM   #16
RageATL
The Dude abides

Haha, meant gweeps from earlier but thank you as well.

Old 12-01-2015, 01:29 AM   #17
K270
Kan Pai

Suck being injured over the holidays. Get better quick all.

Back in 2009 I need achilles tendon surgery. Went in on Oct 2nd for the surgery. Wasn't able to walk for 5 weeks. Once I did get my walking boot it was a pain because the surgical area wasn't healing. Two days before Thanksgiving I had to go back in for a debridement of the wound surgery. Came home with a wound vac and drainage pipe. Had to take the dressing and wound pipe out Thanksgiving morning. That was kind of disgusting. In the end though, everything turned out fine and was able to go back to work on Feb 14th 2010.
Old 12-01-2015, 09:28 AM   #18
ThememanXX
The Real Marlins Man

Banker Brokers Champion! Suduko Champion!
Tournaments Won: 2

Damn, the stories in this thread remind me how lucky I am to never have broken a bone or anything of the sort. Yikes.
handjob on the lawn during the encore saved it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
Who'd you jerk off?
ThememanXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 10:34 AM   #19
TDunk

Sprained my left ankle this morning playing basketball...kept playing but now it's swollen and purple...just hope it's playable by Friday
TDunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 11:44 AM   #20
MaLaKaS
Moore Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by RageATL View Post
Haha, meant gweeps from earlier but thank you as well.
Just busting your chops

These Days Continue > The Continuation > nDMBc