Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 06-16-2008, 08:39 PM   #1
Moses
TDCya

Kanye and Bonaroo don't mix

Kanye Booed at Bonnaroo

06/16/2008 5:00 AM, E! Online
Josh Grossberg

The Bonnaroo boobirds were out in full force for Kanye West this weekend.

The Grammy winner walked onto the festival stage nearly two hours past his scheduled 2:45 a.m. performance time Sunday morning and was greated by bleary-eyed fans' chorus of boos and chants of "Kanye sucks."

West was originally set to kick things off at 8:15 p.m., but because he wanted to make the most of his Glow-in-the-Dark Tour's lighting show, the hip-hopster's camp asked to push back the gig to 2:45 a.m. following Pearl Jam's show.

However, the Seattle grunge rockers' gig lasted an hour longer than planned, with Eddie Vedder and bandmates not wrapping until 1:15 a.m. Then there was an extended break while Pearl Jam's roadies disassembled the band's stage and West's crew set up his own elaborate backdrop, a glow-in-the-dark spaceship along with undulating black platform and raised video screen.
Organizers posted a message via Jumbotron that the "Can't Tell Me Nothing" rapper wouldn't be taking the stage until 3:15 a.m., then 3:30. When 4:15 a.m. rolled around and still no West, the antsy crowd began hurling glow sticks at the stage and screaming anti-West sentiments. Bonnaroo officials didn't help the matter, not informing festivalgoers why the changeover was taking so long.

West finally made his entrace at 4:30 a.m., but by then, many exhausted attendees had had enough and returned to their tents.

Apparently, they didn't miss too much.

Judging by online reviews, West's performance didn't stand out from the 150 acts performing at the four-day musical campout. In fact, it was a yawner.

"He was two hours late, cut his show short, didn't once acknowlegde the crowd that waited two hours on an already late show, not even a wave goodbye...I'm no longer a Kanye fan, huge disappointment," one fan wrote at the music blog Stereogum.com.

"It's not the stage hands' fault; that stage was set up for well over an hour before Kanye decided to grace us with his presence," wrote another attendee on VillageVoice.com. "The next time he holds that finger up and proclaims himself as #1, I hope someone tells him what he can do with that finger."

Per festival reports, West failed to even acknowledge his tardiness.

The bad vibes carried over to Sunday's daytime slate, when during his set pedal-steel guitar virtuoso Robert Randolph groused about West's behavior, prompting fans to reprise the "Kanye sucks" chant.
Moses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 09:23 PM   #2
brandJ

yeah, ridiculous, wasn't he supposed to have some glow in the dark set? It's hard to glow in the dark when the sun's coming up.

That's surprising that Robert Randolph did that. I also heard that YMSB had some comments on Kanye. Kinda makes me wonder what happened behind the scenes. Oh well, it was a disaster in the making from the start...
brandJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 09:29 PM   #3
NiCK (Crush)

i really dislike Kanye West
Old 06-16-2008, 09:29 PM   #4
BajaSpyder

[Only registered users can see links.]
BajaSpyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 09:41 PM   #5
DMBTex10101
doing the hippo thing

Raise your hand if this surprises you in any way what-so-ever.

Archives in Cowtown
DMBTex10101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 10:51 PM   #6
truecb

to be honest, i love kanye and respect him for the artist and entertainer that he is (I know this may brings some lol's from some of you)...but this sucks. Bad situation and he should have known better.

Like him personally or not though, nobody can question his work ethic and his creativity. There is NOBODY out there doing what he is doing in the rap or pop game
Old 06-17-2008, 02:44 AM   #7
gweeps

Wasn't it he who informed us all that George W. Bush doesn't like black people?
gweeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 09:12 PM   #8
ggies
Sugar Will '04

thank you. Thats what I said months ago. fuck.
ggies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 09:12 PM   #9
ggies
Sugar Will '04

Quote:
Originally Posted by truecb View Post
to be honest, i love kanye and respect him for the artist and entertainer that he is (I know this may brings some lol's from some of you)...but this sucks. Bad situation and he should have known better.

Like him personally or not though, nobody can question his work ethic and his creativity. There is NOBODY out there doing what he is doing in the rap or pop game
ok. He is a joke.
ggies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 10:01 PM   #10
Pat M.

i stopped reading at "greated."
Old 06-18-2008, 12:06 AM   #11
truecb

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggies View Post
ok. He is a joke.
Old 06-22-2008, 09:36 AM   #12
jsandr
tryin' to date, havin' to cook

way to go pearl jam : )

PJ should have been scheduled for a 3+ hour slot anyway.

{> PJ & MMJ
Old 06-24-2008, 06:36 PM   #13
Sean
get lost

i know about 4 years ago at Cornell's Slope Day festival he took so long to set up and the show ran so long overtime that they totally bumped off Matt Nathanson who was scheduled to perform after him. apparently it wasnt just a fluke
Sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 01:08 AM   #14
truecb

kanye had an agreement to go on at 3:30, pj went an hour too long, kanye didn't get out until 4:30...it's that simple.

I love pj and it's great that they rocked out...but with kanye's show (for this tour) it takes a long time to get the stage set up...bitch and hate on kanye all you want, but he wasn't late because of his ego

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean View Post
i know about 4 years ago at Cornell's Slope Day festival he took so long to set up and the show ran so long overtime that they totally bumped off Matt Nathanson who was scheduled to perform after him. apparently it wasnt just a fluke
you are jumping to conclusions... and this is pretty much what happened to kan... except for the fact he still ended up performing
Old 06-25-2008, 02:38 PM   #15
ucfhitman

Thought I'd pass along Kanye's response to the "haters" via his blog...this shit is priceless.

I am sick of negative people who just sit around trying 2 plot my downfall... Why???? I understand if people don't like me because I like me or if people think tight clothes look gay or people say I run my mouth to much, But this Bonnaroo thing is the worst insult I've ever had in my life. This is the most offended I've ever been... this is the maddest I ever will be. I'm typing so fucking hard I might break my fucking Mac book Air!!!!!!!! Call me any name you want.... arrogant, conceited, narcissistic, racist, metro, fag whatever you can think of.... BUT NEVER SAY I DIDN'T GIVE MY ALL! NEVER SAY I DIDN'T GIVE MY ALL! THIS SHOWS NO MATTER HOW HARD YOU TRY TO BE GOOD AT SOMETHING THERE WILL BE PEOPLE THERE TO LIE ABOUT YOU AND BRING YOU DOWN! LIKE WAYNE SAYS PLEASE DON'T SHOOT ME DOWN CAUSE I'M FLYING! I'M FUCKING HURT BY THIS ONE. ALL I CARE ABOUT ARE THE FANS. JUST SAY THIS OUT LOUD IN A ROOM FULL OF PEOPLE, "KANYE DOESN'T CARE ABOUT GIVING A GOOD PERFORMANCE." CAN ANYONE HONESTLY SAY THAT ????????? HAS ANYONE EVEN TAKEN THE TIME TO AT LEAST DO THE MATH??? BONNAROO SHOULD HAVE RELEASED A STATEMENT IN MY DEFENSE BUT SINCE THEY HAVEN'T LET'S BREAK DOWN THE WALLS ON THIS TRUMAN SHOW AND LET YOU KNOW WHAT REALLY OCCURRED!!! FOR OVER A MONTH WE WENT BACK AND FORTH ON WETHER OR NOT WE COULD EVEN FIT MY STAGE AT THE FESTIVAL. ONE DAY THEY WOULD SAY YES... WE'D SEND THEM OUR SPECS THEN THEY THEY'D SAY OK... THEN THEY WOULD SEND SPECS BACK THAT DIDN'T FIT THE STAGE. WE WERE OBVIOUSLY DEALING WITH FUCKING IDIOTS WHO DIDN'T REALLY HAVE THE CAPACITY TO REALLY PUT ON THIS SHOW PROPERLY. THEY TRIED 2 GIVE ME A TIME SLOT WERE IT WAS STILL LIGHT OUTSIDE ... I HAVE A FUCKING LIGHT SHOW DUMB ASS, IT'S NOT CALLED GLOW IN THE DARK FOR NO REASON SQUID BRAINS! MY PEOPLE WORKED OUT A COMPROMISED STAGE PLOT AND A 3AM TIME SLOT AND I AGREED. FAST FOWARD TO THE DAY OF THE SHOW. MY PRODUCTION MANAGER TRIED TO LOAD IN FOR 24 HOURS BEFORE I WENT ON STAGE BUT THE FESTIVAL WOULDN'T ALLOW US TO DO ANYTHING UNTILL PEARL JAM LEFT THE STAGE. PEARL JAM ENDED ONE HOUR
LATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AT THAT POINT WE'RE RACING AGAINST THE SUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AT 4:20AM DON COMES BACK 2 THE BUS AND TELLS ME, " IT WOULD TAKE 45 MORE MINUTES TO PUT ALL YOUR PYRO IN!" I SAY I HAVE TO GET OUT THERE AS SOON AS POSSIBLE . I HIT THE STAGE AND PEOPLE HAD BEEN THROWING SHIT ON THE STAGE AND HAD ACTUALLY HIT THE JANE SCREEN WITH, I GUESS BOTTLES OR SOMETHING AND HAD BROKEN MY FUCKING SCREEN. REMEMBER WHEN YOU WERE A SHORTY AND WATER WOULD HIT THE TV?????? WHEN I GOT 2 "THROUGH THE WIRE" I STEPPED ON THE FRONT PART OF MY STAGE AND THERE WAS SO MUCH LIQUID ON THE STAGE I COULDN'T MOVE WITHOUT SLIPPING. I HAD TO ADJUST MY WHOLE PERFORMANCE STYLE BECAUSE OF IT. A FEW MORE SONGS IN AND THE SONG WAS ON IT'S WAY UP.. I CUT A FEW SONGS FROM THE SET BECAUSE I WANTED PEOPLE 2 EXPERIENCE STRONGER WHILE THERE WAS STILL SOME DARKNESS TO PERFORM IT IN. I'VE STRUGGLED WITH STRONGER FROM IT'S CONCEPTION. REMEMBER LAST SUMMER WHEN I CANCELED SOME TV APPEARANCES. IT WAS BECAUSE I DIDN'T WANT TO PERFORM STRONGER IN THE DAYTIME. ANYONE WHO CAME TO THE GLOW TOUR CAN UNDERSTAND WHY I WANTED PEOPLE TO SEE IT PROPERLY. IT BROKE MY HEART THAT I COULDN'T GIVE THESE FANS STRONGER IN IT'S GREATEST FORM... BY THE TIME I GOT TO STRONGER IT WAS DAYTIME AND IT BROKE MY HEART. I'M SORRY TO EVERYONE THAT I DIDN'T HAVE THE ABILITY 2 GIVE THE PERFORMANCE I WANTED TO. I'M SORRY... SOMETIMES I GO 2, 3 DAYS W/O SLEEP WORKING ON MY PERFORMANCE... I HAVE TO ICE MY KNEES AFTER EVERY SHOW AND THEY HURT WHEN I WALK THROUGH THE AIRPORT... HAVING AN EXPENSIVE STAGE CUTS MY PAYDAY IN HALF... CALL ME WHAT YOU WANT BUT NEVER SAY I DIDN'T GIVE MY ALL!!!
ucfhitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 02:49 PM   #16
truecb

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfhitman View Post
well, the ranting aside, that basically backs what i've been saying...when did that come out? I didn't know he made an official statement about it...
Old 06-25-2008, 03:24 PM   #17
ucfhitman

Quote:
Originally Posted by truecb View Post
well, the ranting aside, that basically backs what i've been saying...when did that come out? I didn't know he made an official statement about it...
Not sure, my buddy who went to Bonnaroo emailed it to me. I think it was pretty recent, within the past two days maybe?
Old 06-25-2008, 03:25 PM   #18
ucfhitman

I think people were pissed about the fact that he didn't acknowledge the crowd at all or apologize for being late. I know that pissed off a lot of people that waited for his set.
Old 06-25-2008, 03:45 PM   #19
brandJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfhitman View Post
Not sure, my buddy who went to Bonnaroo emailed it to me. I think it was pretty recent, within the past two days maybe?

I believe it was written on Tuesday. There was an article on the Tennessean's website about it today quoting the blog and quoting a statement (that said nothing really) from the Bonnaroo people.

Quote:
Kanye West rails against Bonnaroo criticism
By JAKE COYLE • AP Entertainment Writer • June 25, 2008

Print this page E-mail this article
Share this article: Del.icio.us Facebook Digg Reddit Newsvine What’s this?
NEW YORK — Kanye West defended himself from criticism over his delayed performance at Bonnaroo, saying on his blog that the flak he's taken has left him "the most offended I've ever been."

West's performance at the Tennessee festival was scheduled for 2:45 a.m. in the early morning of June 15. West didn't take the stage until 4:25 a.m., angering much of the crowd who had stayed up late to see the rapper perform.

The delay was caused by problems setting up West's elaborate stage set, which included an interplanetary landscape of a wavy black platform and a video screen above. Pearl Jam, who had performed on the main stage earlier that evening, also went an hour over its scheduled time. While waiting for West's concert to begin, many in the crowd pelted the stage with glow sticks and beer.

At the Bonnaroo Music & Arts Festival, which traditionally has favored jam bands, West's delayed show became a kind of rallying point, leading to "Kanye sucks" chants and criticism from pedal steel guitarist Robert Randolph, who played later the same day.

Writing Tuesday on his blog at [Only registered users can see links.] in almost all caps, West said he was offended that anyone would think he doesn't care about his fans and blamed the delay on festival organizers.

"This Bonnaroo thing is the worst insult I've ever had in my life," West wrote. "This is the most offended I've ever been ... this is the maddest I ever will be."

West was critical of the festival for not releasing a statement in his defense. The morning after the show, The Associated Press asked festival spokesman Ken Weinstein about the delay. Weinstein said it was simply a matter of unloading the Pearl Jam stage after its set (which went until about 1:15 a.m.) and loading the West stage.

Following his performance, West's publicist didn't reply to a request from The AP for West's take on the criticism.

In his blog posting, West said he and the festival organizers (Bonnaroo is put on by Superfly Productions and AC Entertainment) went back and forth for a month on how his stage could fit at the festival. He said it was clear he was "dealing with ... idiots who didn't really have the capacity to really put on this show properly."

Weinstein on Wednesday relayed a statement on behalf of the festival that did not specifically address West's complaints but read: "Our world-class event production team strives to accommodate the needs of every performer."

West also blamed thrown bottles for malfunctions with his "Jane screen." (In the concept concert, Jane is the HAL-like disembodied female robotic voice of his spaceship.) But the stage crew appeared to be having difficulty with the screen well before anything was thrown from the crowd.

West's set was originally scheduled for 8:15 p.m. the night of June 14, but the rapper requested it be moved later in the evening so it was sufficiently dark for his "glow-in-the-dark" performance. But because of the late start, midway through his performance the morning light began to show — revealing a substantially thinned-out audience.

"It broke my heart that I couldn't give these fans 'Stronger' in its greatest form," said West, referring to his hit song. "I'm sorry to everyone that I didn't have the ability 2 give the performance I wanted to. I'm sorry."

West concluded by saying his elaborate stage cuts his payday in half and leaves him icing his knees.

"Call me what you want," he said, "but never say I didn't give my all!"
brandJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 06:42 PM   #20
Lights_1

Boofuckinghoo, you make millions of dollars and want people to feel sorry for you.
Lights_1 is offline   Reply With Quote

These Days Continue > The Continuation > nDMBc