These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > nDMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 06-10-2016, 02:33 AM   #101
Coster
We got the cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Godfather View Post
Im also not happy about Mexico's homefield advantage for the Copa. Playing Pasadena, Phoenix and Houston, it will be no differet if Mexico was playing in Toluca, Guadalajara and Mexico City. Unreal. Mexico needs to take full advantage.
It's so amusing hearing USA fans always whine about Mexico. You sound like the U.S. announcers the other day that were whining that Mexico had an advantage because they didn't have to play east of the Mississippi, meanwhile they never mentioned that the U.S. was playing a team that had one day less rest in Costa Rica, who they beat 4-0. I mean you're complaining that Mexico has a home field advantage in a country that is not their own yet the games are being played in the United States...so you're not concerned that the USA has a home field advantage?
Coster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 02:34 AM   #102
Coster
We got the cup

Quote:
I was completely wrong about Uruguay.
You and everyone else in this thread. And no, I certainly didn't predict Venezuela to win their first 2 games.
Old 06-10-2016, 02:42 AM   #103
Coster
We got the cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by celluloid hero View Post
Either way, I'm pretty excited and I have this pinned to my wall. It's a jpg and not Word unfortunately, but it's better than me (re)doing it myself.

What are those games at the end of the schedule for? It says Olympics at the top but that isn't the Olympic schedule. USA is not in the Olympics.
Old 06-10-2016, 06:29 AM   #104
JustinC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coster View Post
What are those games at the end of the schedule for? It says Olympics at the top but that isn't the Olympic schedule. USA is not in the Olympics.
The women are. Which that's what that is.
JustinC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 08:53 AM   #105
celluloid hero

Happy Euros Day. With rooting for safety as a given, who are looking at?

I'm obviously rooting for all of the Arsenal players / teams, probably with England as my top rooting interest as I watch so much BPL, I'd like to see Wales do well, probably have Spain winning it.
celluloid hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 09:31 AM   #106
JustinC

Quote:
It's so amusing hearing USA fans always whine about Mexico. You sound like the U.S. announcers the other day that were whining that Mexico had an advantage because they didn't have to play east of the Mississippi, meanwhile they never mentioned that the U.S. was playing a team that had one day less rest in Costa Rica, who they beat 4-0. I mean you're complaining that Mexico has a home field advantage in a country that is not their own yet the games are being played in the United States...so you're not concerned that the USA has a home field advantage?
Well that's what happens when you host a tournament, you get the home field advantage and in these tournaments the hosts always plays the opening game and it's the only game that day

Mexico is not hosting the tournament but got a very beneficial travel schedule and one that has them playing at the all the stadiums being used for the Copa closest to Mexico.

Phoenix to Pasadena is 370 miles
Pasadena to Houston is 1500 miles

So Mexico's combined travel for the group stage was more than the US had to travel between their 1st and 2nd match. And in all US travels apprx 3000 miles for the group stage. Mexico is a little under 1900 miles. US plays on the West coast, North Central US and East Coast. Mexico plays in 3 states that have a border with Mexico.

As for the 1 day benefit on Costa Rica. US played in Santa Clara and then had to travel to Chicago (2100 miles). Costa Rica played in Orlando their 1st match and traveled (1000 miles) to Chicago.

Last edited by JustinC; 06-10-2016 at 09:58 AM.
JustinC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 09:32 AM   #107
The Godfather
#COYR

Quote:

I am just appalled b/c most Mexican fans I heard on the Mexico games so far booing Nat'l anthems, and the like. I'm not Mexican-American, but it is unreal that Mexico does have Home field advantage here in the USA. Add to the fact they don't play west of the Mississippi. It is very advantageous to Mexico.

USA does have Home field, but it is not as prevalent as Mexico support. Most of these Mexicans live here, and some don't even support the country's Nat'l team they live in. I won't get started on geo-political crap, I just think it is unreal.

The fact of Bolivia, and Costa Rica not getting enough rest bothers me and it is not fair. Plus the spelling of Nat'l Jerseys that are incorrect and the misplaying of Nat'l anthems. Incredible.
The Godfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 09:33 AM   #108
The Godfather
#COYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinC View Post
Well that's what happens when you host a tournament, you get the home field advantage and in these tournaments the hosts always plays the opening game and it's the only game.

Mexico is not hosting the tournament but got a very beneficial travel schedule and one that has them playing at the all the stadiums being used for the Copa closest to Mexico.

Phoenix to Pasadena is 370 miles
Pasadena to Houston is 1500 miles

So Mexico's combined travel for the group stage was more than the US had to travel between their 1st and 2nd match. And in all US travels apprx 3000 miles for the group stage. Mexico is a little under 1900 miles. US plays in all on the West coast, North Central US and East Coast. Mexico plays in 3 states that have a border with Mexico.

As for the 1 day benefit on Costa Rica. US played in Santa Clara and then had to travel to Chicago (2100 miles). Costa Rica played in Orlando their 1st match and traveled (1000 miles) to Chicago.

Facts are facts
Old 06-10-2016, 09:33 AM   #109
The Godfather
#COYR

Quote:
Happy Euros Day. With rooting for safety as a given, who are looking at?

I'm obviously rooting for all of the Arsenal players / teams, probably with England as my top rooting interest as I watch so much BPL, I'd like to see Wales do well, probably have Spain winning it.
I dislike France, so it would be nice for Romania to win or draw. It's unlikely though.
Old 06-10-2016, 09:34 AM   #110
The Godfather
#COYR

Quote:
You and everyone else in this thread. And no, I certainly didn't predict Venezuela to win their first 2 games.
Neither did I, but Venezuela are playing good right now. They just need there strikers to finish better.
Old 06-10-2016, 09:41 AM   #111
celluloid hero

It's still about money and atmosphere. Looking at the ticket sales for some of these matches, they put teams in stadiums that move the attendance needle. If you are coming from Colombia, does it matter if the team play in Houston or Chicago? not really. But putting Mexico close to Mexico instead of Seattle could more than double attendance. They did this type of thing for the Women's World Cup as well.

This Copa is a bit of a sham and a disaster as it is. I'm happy to have more soccer to watch, but it's such a big deal to have a 100 year anniversary of the tradition, even though there was one last year. But then to host it outside of South America for the first time. Then two fucked up anthems which is so unacceptable, Adidas spelling Colombia wrong, official preview images showing wrong players for wrong teams...

I'm so ready for club soccer to be back. I already miss it after less than a month. This is my first Euros as a true fan of the sport, though.
Old 06-10-2016, 09:43 AM   #112
celluloid hero

Quote:
I dislike France, so it would be nice for Romania to win or draw. It's unlikely though.
I will root for Giroud and Koscielny. I think Giroud gets a bad rap from fans, he does so much more than score. He holds the ball up and lays off crosses to open teammates. But he's a striker, can disappear, and is incredibly streaky, I get it. I just don't think this is a time to boo your own players hosting a tournament.

I also really like Payet. He's a stud.
Old 06-10-2016, 09:51 AM   #113
The Godfather
#COYR

Quote:
It's still about money and atmosphere. Looking at the ticket sales for some of these matches, they put teams in stadiums that move the attendance needle. If you are coming from Colombia, does it matter if the team play in Houston or Chicago? not really. But putting Mexico close to Mexico instead of Seattle could more than double attendance. They did this type of thing for the Women's World Cup as well.

This Copa is a bit of a sham and a disaster as it is. I'm happy to have more soccer to watch, but it's such a big deal to have a 100 year anniversary of the tradition, even though there was one last year. But then to host it outside of South America for the first time. Then two fucked up anthems which is so unacceptable, Adidas spelling Colombia wrong, official preview images showing wrong players for wrong teams...

I'm so ready for club soccer to be back. I already miss it after less than a month. This is my first Euros as a true fan of the sport, though.
My personal preference is National team soccer, then club. I love Tournaments.

Since Copa America Centenario is an FIFA event, I, too would have thought it would run better. Since this tournament is purely ceremonial, I thought it would have been run better. I do not remember a tournament with this many mistakes in organization.

Seeing nearly empty stadiums disappoint me, b/c ticket prices were fair. If we love soccer in the US we should go out and see world class soccer. World class soccer is here now. I love soccer, so I'll watch any games. I just wish the people would have come to games. I went to Brasil-Haiti, and I KNOW they're A LOT of Brasilians that live in the Orlando area and when I went it was 60-70% capacity. Bitch should have been sold out, IMO.

I agree with you so far that it has been embarrassing for us with the mistakes so far. It shouldn't happen.
Old 06-10-2016, 09:52 AM   #114
The Godfather
#COYR

Quote:
I will root for Giroud and Koscielny. I think Giroud gets a bad rap from fans, he does so much more than score. He holds the ball up and lays off crosses to open teammates. But he's a striker, can disappear, and is incredibly streaky, I get it. I just don't think this is a time to boo your own players hosting a tournament.

I like Payet and Giroud myself. I just don't like Pogba. I think he's overrated.
Old 06-10-2016, 10:14 AM   #115
celluloid hero

Quote:
My personal preference is National team soccer, then club. I love Tournaments.

Since Copa America Centenario is an FIFA event, I, too would have thought it would run better. Since this tournament is purely ceremonial, I thought it would have been run better. I do not remember a tournament with this many mistakes in organization.

Seeing nearly empty stadiums disappoint me, b/c ticket prices were fair. If we love soccer in the US we should go out and see world class soccer. World class soccer is here now. I love soccer, so I'll watch any games. I just wish the people would have come to games. I went to Brasil-Haiti, and I KNOW they're A LOT of Brasilians that live in the Orlando area and when I went it was 60-70% capacity. Bitch should have been sold out, IMO.

I agree with you so far that it has been embarrassing for us with the mistakes so far. It shouldn't happen.
Trouble is that Copa America isn't a tournament that Americans are familiar with. Last year's was on BeInSports maybe? You had to work to find it. It means so much to South American soccer, it's just only there right now because we're in it. My friends who don't follow soccer, but follow sports and know that I do, thought the match the other night was a friendly. That's why if they're having a massive anniversary, breaking the schedule for it, it should be in South America, not in 70,000 seat NFL stadium as far removed from South America as Africa is.
Old 06-10-2016, 10:25 AM   #116
The Godfather
#COYR

Quote:
Trouble is that Copa America isn't a tournament that Americans are familiar with. Last year's was on BeInSports maybe? You had to work to find it. It means so much to South American soccer, it's just only there right now because we're in it. My friends who don't follow soccer, but follow sports and know that I do, thought the match the other night was a friendly. That's why if they're having a massive anniversary, breaking the schedule for it, it should be in South America, not in 70,000 seat NFL stadium as far removed from South America as Africa is.
America hasn't been invited to past Copa's b/c USA has bought their C teams, and embarrassed themselves. COMEBOL was not too happy about that. [And] rightfully so. Copa is the world's oldest soccer tournament, and should be treated with some respect in regards to fielding teams to bring down there.

COMEBOL was the big proponent on staging the 100th Annv. tournament in the USA, b/c of the diaspora from South America here. In theory, the stadiums should have been 60% or above filled. Not like some games that we are seeing. COMEBOL should have considered this when they pushed for the USA to host, and CONCACAF should have noticed this as well. If these games were in South America, mostly every stadium would be near capacity depending on the country that we are theoretically thinking would have hosted the 100th annv.

Causals who don't follow soccer think every game is a friendly outside the World Cup.

I am also of the belief that if anyone who loves/likes soccer will find out when and where to watch it.
Old 06-10-2016, 03:54 PM   #117
celluloid hero

Quote:
Understatement.
Old 06-10-2016, 04:04 PM   #118
The Godfather
#COYR

Payet went ham tonight. France pulled it out.

France needs to be concerned for their back 4.
Old 06-10-2016, 04:04 PM   #119
The Godfather
#COYR

Quote:
Understatement.
Yeah, Hes a beast.
Old 06-10-2016, 04:44 PM   #120
The Godfather
#COYR