These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > nDMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 03-31-2016, 04:20 PM   #61
ggies
Sugar Will '04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
I drove my friend's Tesla over the weekend. Very cool. I was surprised at how fast it was.
Nice! Yep, no engine. Pure torque. People can't understand why Tesla EVs are so much better until you get in one and feel the power.
ggies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 12:03 AM   #62
ggies
Sugar Will '04

So even with the base Tesla Model 3, Supercharging hardware comes standard, so you don't have to pay a one time fee to travel anywhere in the US for free.

THIS SHIT JUST GOT REAL.

Base Model 3:
Full autopilot hardware,
SuperCharging,
Sub 6 seconds 0-60,
Largest loading capacity in its size class,
five star safety all subcategories,
Tesla's unmatched cabin and OTA network connected tech

Old 04-01-2016, 06:40 PM   #63
Caveat Emperor
The Flyin' Lions

Disc Golf Champion! Flash Poker Champion! Super Mario Flash HV Champion! Whammy Champion!
It looks awesome. Get the range up and the charging quicker / more robust, and I'd be a customer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
What's this about 'extended delay?' Hardened boarders know TDC was only down for two days: the day it went down, and the day it went back up.
Caveat Emperor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 09:22 PM   #64
ggies
Sugar Will '04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
It looks awesome. Get the range up and the charging quicker / more robust, and I'd be a customer.
Glad you like it as well. Yeah, I'm sure there will be different battery options, which means more range. It was about 2 years ago I read an interview from JB (the CTO and deals with the battery chemistry) and said the goal is to get Supercharging down to 10 minutes as the tech progresses.

If you guys haven't seen in the news - 232,000 reservations now!!
Old 04-04-2016, 09:37 AM   #65
ggies
Sugar Will '04

Another article about this has come up:

[Only registered users can see links.]

Quote:
“The fact that they’re trying to decouple the country’s wealth from oil revenues will be seen by many as yet another sign that the end of the oil age is approaching fast. If the oil titans are looking for an exit strategy, all cannot be well in the fossil fuel sector.”
Old 04-04-2016, 07:19 PM   #66
Tambourine Man
now in Capshaw Blue

Good luck Saudi Arabia.
Tambourine Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 09:34 AM   #67
ggies
Sugar Will '04

Quote:
It is – by a long shot – the fastest growing customer order book in the history of the automobile industry.
Old 04-10-2016, 03:11 AM   #68
MaLaKaS
Moore Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggies View Post
So even with the base Tesla Model 3, Supercharging hardware comes standard, so you don't have to pay a one time fee to travel anywhere in the US for free.

THIS SHIT JUST GOT REAL.

Base Model 3:
Full autopilot hardware,
SuperCharging,
Sub 6 seconds 0-60,
Largest loading capacity in its size class,
five star safety all subcategories,
Tesla's unmatched cabin and OTA network connected tech

I'm really liking this model. It looks sexy and has style. It's more afforable than other Tesla models and will really help the company enter the "middle-class" market. I can't wait to see how this plays out.
MaLaKaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 04:20 PM   #69
ggies
Sugar Will '04

NEW INFORMATION RELEASED:

This goes back to the late '40s/50s!

Quote:
By the late 1940s, industrial pollution from the wartime surge and post-war boom began alarming the public. In particular, smog increasingly plagued Los Angeles, garnering the attention of the press and new pollution-control agencies. The sky turned a pale yellow, residents routinely became nauseous and their eyes burned, children were forced to play indoors, and acres of crops withered.

By the early 1950s, new science pointed to the oil industry as a major culprit, showing that nitrogen oxide emissions and uncombusted hydrocarbons from car tailpipes and refineries formed smog when exposed to sunlight.
Quote:
By the 1960s, the CO2 problem was gaining wider scientific recognition, especially as President Lyndon B. Johnson's science advisers and leading experts brought it to the attention of the White House in 1965.

"If CO2 levels continue to rise at present rates, it is likely that noticeable increases in temperature could occur," SRI scientists Elmer Robinson and R.C. Robbins wrote in their 1968 paper to API.

"Changes in temperature on the world-wide scale could cause major changes in the earth's atmosphere over the next several hundred years including change in the polar ice caps."
Son a bitch!

All documents can be found here: [Only registered users can see links.]

Everyone reading this - Please buy an EV the next time you get another car.
Old 04-15-2016, 03:21 PM   #70
ggies
Sugar Will '04

I'm not sure if anyone has gone through and read any of the info from that link, but here is an important one - how to determine how much of the fossil fuel was getting into the atmosphere.

In 1957

Quote:
In its quest for ever more accurate "clocks" to measure the age of ancient (and potentially oil-bearing) sediments, the oil industry was quick to exploit the highly precise "carbon clock" created by radiocarbon dating with carbon-14. This paper, published by the Humble Oil Production Research Division (now ExxonMobil), catalogs a list of carbon dating samples. All living organisms have a certain percentage of radioactive carbon that decays over time, and measuring the ratio of radioactive to stable carbon is used to date fossils, soil samples, and more. Because fossil fuels are made from ancient organic material, it contains a very small amount of radioactive carbon. Burning fossil fuels "dilutes" the radioactive carbon in the atmosphere, and measuring that dilution is one way to measure how much of atmospheric carbon dioxide is from fossil sources. The "dilution" of carbon-14 naturally occuring in the atmosphere by depleted carbon-12 from fossil fuels—termed the "Suess effect" for its discoverer Hans Suess—made it possible, for the first time, to measure with precision the contribution of fossil fuels to atmospheric CO2.
Old 04-21-2016, 10:50 AM   #71
ggies
Sugar Will '04

Excellent article: [Only registered users can see links.]

Lots of info, but this is a great one to know about:

Quote:
The likely future king of Saudi Arabia says he doesn’t care if oil prices rise or fall...“We don’t care about oil prices—$30 or $70, they are all the same to us,” he says. “This battle is not my battle.”
Old 04-21-2016, 01:29 PM   #72
Caveat Emperor
The Flyin' Lions

Disc Golf Champion! Flash Poker Champion! Super Mario Flash HV Champion! Whammy Champion!
This is the closest they've ever come publicly to saying what I think has been going on for the last year or so -- they're desperate to get as much oil out of the ground and sold as possible before the world switches off to renewables.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
What's this about 'extended delay?' Hardened boarders know TDC was only down for two days: the day it went down, and the day it went back up.
Caveat Emperor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 09:56 AM   #73
ggies
Sugar Will '04

Old 05-11-2016, 11:25 AM   #74
ggies
Sugar Will '04

Great segment and John relates it to climate change at the end.

Old 05-12-2016, 09:59 AM   #75
ggies
Sugar Will '04

This is what Exxon and all the other major oil companies should have been doing since the 70's, but now they are on their way to their death.

Quote:
French oil major Total’s impending €950 million acquisition of battery manufacturer Saft puts the company at the front of the pack of fossil fuel firms looking to diversify,
Quote:
“They are leading the former oil majors in terms of their investment and determination to make a clean energy future real. They also want to be one of the leading global companies in solar, an announcement which we welcome.
Old 05-12-2016, 12:58 PM   #76
Jayes
ISO Hello Again&Broken Things

Well that is some great news. Like Ive been saying all along, I cant believe it's taken so long for oil companies to diversify. Seems like a 3rd grade no brainer.
Jayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 01:30 PM   #77
ggies
Sugar Will '04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayes View Post
Well that is some great news. Like Ive been saying all along, I cant believe it's taken so long for oil companies to diversify. Seems like a 3rd grade no brainer.
Old 05-13-2016, 04:02 PM   #78
ggies
Sugar Will '04

I've known about this problem, but ladies and gentleman, the crux of the transition for automakers to EVs from inside the industry.

Quote:
"Automakers have outsourced much of the core work of building cars. What they still specialize in is building internal combustion engines (ICE) and ICE drivetrains"

Last edited by ggies; 05-13-2016 at 07:20 PM.
Old 05-16-2016, 03:47 PM   #79
ggies
Sugar Will '04

So, in this article it metions are really good book, [Only registered users can see links.] , you should all check it out. I read it years ago and it really opened my mind to all the manipulation within these industries.

Anyway, if you didn't know already:

Ted is basically using the same tactics from the tobacco industry for Exxon now:

Quote:
Ted Wells, an attorney hired by ExxonMobil to represent the company against accusations it lied about the climate risks of burning fossil fuels, also represented the tobacco industry in the lawsuit brought by the U.S. Department of Justice in 1999 under the Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations (RICO) Act, DeSmog has found.
Quote:
The tobacco industry is now infamous for writing in a 1969 memo that “Doubt is our product since it is the best means of competing with the 'body of fact' that exists in the mind of the general public.” Yet, Exxon has even said in its own late 1970s studies that “there is no doubt” that pumping carbon dioxide into the atmosphere was harmful.
Old 05-19-2016, 11:44 AM   #80
ggies
Sugar Will '04

Another great summary of how fast the transportation sector is going to change.

These Days Continue > The Continuation > nDMBc