1t. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 11:21 AM   #123
1t. Dan

Damn that is small:
Old 03-12-2009, 11:24 AM   #124
dmb6743
RUM HAMMM!

I have 80G 5th gen. iPod for my now 100+ gigs of music. I was thinking about getting a 120 G 6th gen. but I'm not sure if I want to wait for the next generation iPod or not, whenever that comes out. Thoughts?
Old 03-12-2009, 11:25 AM   #125
dmb6743
RUM HAMMM!

Also the new shuffle is stupidly small.
Old 03-12-2009, 11:33 AM   #126
1t. Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmb6743 View Post
I have 80G 5th gen. iPod for my now 100+ gigs of music. I was thinking about getting a 120 G 6th gen. but I'm not sure if I want to wait for the next generation iPod or not, whenever that comes out. Thoughts?
Apple usually doesn't roll out new iPods until late september, so if you want to wait until then, but there is no guarantee they will update the classics this time around.
Old 03-12-2009, 03:30 PM   #127
BeaufordBuddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sou1 So1di3r View Post
The new iTunes that was released today has an import setting equal to iTunes plus songs.

And also, new iPod shuffles. Sweeeeeeeeeet

I don't think there's anything sweet about it. It looks ridiculously small and a pain in the ass to control.

When I see it I'm reminded of that one SNL skit years ago where they presented fake mock-ups of progressively smaller iPods. This new Shuffle looks like one of those props from the skit.

I know that Apple is forward thinking and always trying to fit devices into smaller packages but what in the hell was wrong with the previous Shuffle?
BeaufordBuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 10:35 AM   #128
Sinister Minister
Lolawlor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeaufordBuddy View Post
I don't think there's anything sweet about it. It looks ridiculously small and a pain in the ass to control.

When I see it I'm reminded of that one SNL skit years ago where they presented fake mock-ups of progressively smaller iPods. This new Shuffle looks like one of those props from the skit.

I know that Apple is forward thinking and always trying to fit devices into smaller packages but what in the hell was wrong with the previous Shuffle?
Agreed. I also think it is dumb that you need to use apple headphones if you want to do... anything.
Sinister Minister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 11:48 AM   #129
JWood

dumb or smart
JWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 01:07 PM   #130
dmb6743
RUM HAMMM!

I would want to Punch You in the Face...I mean Eye if you bought the new shuffle. Seriously that thing is so stupid. Sweet, it has VoiceOver but other than that, there is absolutely zero point in buying that thing.
Old 03-13-2009, 01:13 PM   #131
JWood

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmb6743 View Post
I would want to Punch You in the Face...I mean Eye if you bought the new shuffle. Seriously that thing is so stupid. Sweet, it has VoiceOver but other than that, there is absolutely zero point in buying that thing.
eye-pod?
Old 03-13-2009, 01:21 PM   #132
dmb6743
RUM HAMMM!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdub1892 View Post
eye-pod?
[Only registered users can see links.]
Old 03-13-2009, 02:10 PM   #133
JWood

yeah, it was a joke
Old 03-13-2009, 02:48 PM   #134
dmb6743
RUM HAMMM!

haha i know
Old 03-13-2009, 06:11 PM   #135
DMBZeppelin
You vondruke!

Engadget is reporting that Apple will be hosting a media event on Tuesday, March 17th to demonstrate iPhone OS 3.0, the next major upgrade to the iPhone operating system. Apple will reportedly also provide details on a new iPhone Software Development Kit (SDK) to aid developers in creating applications for the new operating system.

Apple's calling this an "advance preview of what we're building," so we're not expecting anything ready to go as of the 17th, but hopefully this will allow developers to start building toward future functionality (hey, how about some push notifications?), and presumably users won't have too many months to wait after that for the real deal.

Apple previously hosted a media event in March 2008 to provide a "roadmap" for iPhone developers, and it appears that this upcoming event may follow a similar theme. The event is scheduled for 10 AM Pacific in the Town Hall auditorium on the company's campus in Cupertino, CA.
DMBZeppelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 06:13 PM   #136
DMBZeppelin
You vondruke!

News that Apple will be hosting a media event next week about iPhone 3.0 has generated a lot of speculation about what might be coming in the new release.

BoyGeniusReport claims to have heard two possible features that would certainly make many iPhone users happy. They believe that iPhone 3.0 will introduce MMS (Multimedia Messaging Service) and Tethering.

MMS would finally offer iPhone users the ability to send photos by way of SMS, and tethering would allow you to share your iPhone's internet connection with your laptop computer. An alleged Steve Jobs email even confirmed that Apple had been working on a thethering solution, so it certainly seems feasible. BoyGeniusReport's record, however, has been spotty, so we can't be entirely confident of the report.

A more interesting report comes from John Gruber about his "guesses" for iPhone 3.0 from back at Macworld:

First, a new home screen app (a.k.a. SpringBoard), designed from the ground up for a system where users have a few dozen or more extra apps installed. Managing dozens of apps on the iPhone today is simply a pain in the ass. Second, maybe an answer to the question of where the background notification API is — you know, the one we were told at WWDC to expect a few months ago, but which we haven’t heard a word about since. And maybe — pretty please, Mr. Forstall, with sugar on top — copy and paste.

While Gruber labels this as his "wish list", we have good reason to believe that these features will indeed be found in the iPhone 3.0 firmware. That could mean a better app-managing SpringBoard (with categories?), a solution to "push" notifications (background tasks?), and, yes... even copy and paste.

Finally, there has been evidence in the latest version of Snow Leopard's CoreLocation framework (which is shared by the iPhone) that Apple is building in support for magnetometers, which could suggest the use of a digital compass in future devices, much like the Android G1.
Old 03-13-2009, 06:15 PM   #137
DMBZeppelin
You vondruke!

I'm pretty pumped to see what they have in store for the new software update. Going from 1.0 to 2.0 was a huge leap with the addition of apps and all that. Hopefully they announce the new iPhone coming out in June. I still have the original. I wanted a 3G one, but figured if I'd just waited another year it be well worth it.
Old 03-14-2009, 09:16 PM   #138
sean52692
Ten steps ahead of you

I'm probably going to get a MAC this summer, a laptop, or whatever they call it. I need to get educated about this
sean52692 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 11:15 PM   #139
1t. Dan

w000 I want a new iPhone!
Old 03-17-2009, 03:20 PM   #140
DMBZeppelin
You vondruke!

Highlights of Apple's iPhone OS 3.0 Preview: Copy and Paste, A2DP, MMS, Much More

Apple today hosted a preview event for its upcoming iPhone OS 3.0, highlighting a few of over 1,000 new APIs for developers and over 100 new features for users. Full details are available in our live updates, but here are some of the highlights:

- In-App Purchasing: Allows developers to sell additional content from within applications. Highlighted uses include magazine subscriptions, eBooks, additional levels and items for games.
- Peer-to-Peer Connectivity: Find other devices running the app via Bonjour over Wi-Fi of Bluetooth. Good for gaming, but also other applications for sharing data.
- Third-Party Accessory Apps: Allowing accessory manufacturers to create applications to interface with their hardware accessories.
- Push Notification: Rather than using background processes that hamper battery life, utilize third-party server to push badge, text, and audio alerts from applications.
- Turn by Turn: Apple will allow developers to use CoreLocation for turn-by-turn GPS directions.
- Cut, Copy and Paste: Available across all apps. Shake to undo or redo.
- Landscape keyboard: Available in all key applications, including Mail.
- MMS: Picture messaging now available.
- Voice Memos: Record notes, lectures, interviews, etc.
- Spotlight Search: Available across all applications. Systemwide search available from main home screen by flicking to the left.
- A2DP Bluetooth: Support for stereo bluetooth headsets.

Tethering, another much-requested feature, was addressed in the Q&A section of the event. Apple is building the client side of tethering into OS 3.0, but cooperation from carriers is also required in order for it to be offered.

The new iPhone OS 3.0 is available to all registered iPhone developers today as a free beta. Full release to customers will be this summer. OS 3.0 will be free for all iPhone users and a $9.95 upgrade for all iPod touch users. Most features will be available for the first-generation iPhone, although hardware limitations will prevent some features, such as MMS and stereo Bluetooth, from being added to those devices. Meanwhile, Apple also revealed that Bluetooth support can be activated in the 2nd generation iPod Touches.

Apple has posted an iPhone OS 3.0 Preview page listing a few of the highlights. A video of today's media event will also be posted to the page later today.

These Days Continue > The Continuation > nDMBc