These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > nDMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 06-02-2008, 03:57 AM   #21
K270
Kan Pai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psionic View Post
If you havent tried disk utilities "repair disk permissions" yet, i'd suggest doing so. ?+Shift+U in finder to get to utils folder, then disk utility. May help.

-Psi
Gave that a try. Didn't work. Guess I have to go talk to a Mac Genius to find out what's going on. Thanks for the suggestion though, it was worth a try.
K270 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 08:06 AM   #22
scottbrown
Eli sucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeaufordBuddy View Post

I went to an Apple retail store today to check out the Macbook Pros they had on display. I've been looking at them online for some time but when I saw the 17" in person I fell in love.

Just my experience: go with the 15 over the 17 inch. I had a 17 inch powerbook for about 15 months a few years back, and while the screen was awesome for a portable, it was just too damn big. The 15 is much more portable

Also, there may be new laptops announced on June 9, so don't do anything until next week
scottbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 08:20 AM   #23
jpsy422
FIRE BAD!

Quote:
Just get a nice monitor and a macbook pro. When you're at home, you have a dual display setup, or a nice desktop setup (just run with mbpro closed), then when you need to go portable, unplug a few things, and have a badass portable.

I have a macbook and a 42" monitor and it's just perfect.
you realize that a macbook can only output to a 23 in monitor before it looks like absolute crap right?
Old 06-02-2008, 10:40 AM   #24
BeaufordBuddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottbrown View Post
Just my experience: go with the 15 over the 17 inch. I had a 17 inch powerbook for about 15 months a few years back, and while the screen was awesome for a portable, it was just too damn big. The 15 is much more portable

Also, there may be new laptops announced on June 9, so don't do anything until next week
While that's a possibility I've been checking some Mac forums and since the Intel release of the new Montevina chipset has been pushed back a lot of people are thinking that will effect the release of the updated Apple notebook line. But I will wait until after June 3 to see what back back to school promo they have going.
BeaufordBuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 11:23 AM   #25
Psionic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpsy422 View Post
you realize that a macbook can only output to a 23 in monitor before it looks like absolute crap right?
wrong... my macbook 3,1 santa rosa outputs full 1080p (1920x1080) with no problem...

Now if you're referring to connecting to apple's 30" display, or anything that requires a dual-link DVI connection, you are correct, it will not work. The mini-dvi port does not support dual-link DVI.

my 42" monitor is technically an HDTV, but has no tuner, thus making it a monitor. So it's res is capped @ 1920x1080, and it looks effing gorgeous.
Psionic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 11:44 AM   #26
scottbrown
Eli sucks

Quote:
While that's a possibility I've been checking some Mac forums and since the Intel release of the new Montevina chipset has been pushed back a lot of people are thinking that will effect the release of the updated Apple notebook line. But I will wait until after June 3 to see what back back to school promo they have going.

ok, but it's only a week. i'd wait to be sure
Old 06-02-2008, 03:51 PM   #27
BeaufordBuddy

Quote:
ok, but it's only a week. i'd wait to be sure
A week I can handle. I'll hold off until then.

About the laptop size. Portability isn't that huge of a factor for me. Sure, I'll need to transport the laptop around but I've handled the 17" and it isn't too much to handle. I've carried much heavier and cumbersome things around when traveling so a seven pound laptop is nothing really. The pros far outweigh the cons. I get an extra USB port and two more inches of screen real estate with a 1920x1200 resolution. I don't consider it to be that much of an inconvenience or hassle to carry a 17" around.
Old 06-02-2008, 06:29 PM   #28
scottbrown
Eli sucks

Quote:
A week I can handle. I'll hold off until then.

About the laptop size. Portability isn't that huge of a factor for me. Sure, I'll need to transport the laptop around but I've handled the 17" and it isn't too much to handle. I've carried much heavier and cumbersome things around when traveling so a seven pound laptop is nothing really. The pros far outweigh the cons. I get an extra USB port and two more inches of screen real estate with a 1920x1200 resolution. I don't consider it to be that much of an inconvenience or hassle to carry a 17" around.

I was with you 100%, but over time, I realized I just didn't need the 17. It was overkill, and the 15 was perfect

but then again, the 17 didn't have the 1920x1200 at that time, either
Old 06-02-2008, 07:26 PM   #29
BeaufordBuddy

Mac Rumors has an article posted on their front page talking about the speculated back to school promotion that will be announced tomorrow. They say it's likely that Apple will be giving away a free 8GB iPod touch with each qualifying purchase. I am enrolled in community college (hey, it's college) so I expect to take advantage of whatever promotion they have and if this is in fact true it's fucking great and I'll definitely hold out for that as well.
Old 06-12-2008, 09:12 PM   #30
BeaufordBuddy

My MacBook Pro arrived today! It arrived in two days and it was shipped from CHINA! That's amazing. I am loving it. It definitely doesn't look like a 17" laptop. Looks much smaller than other 17" laptops in my opinion. Everything is so sexy and elegant about this thing. Even the packaging and literature that came with it are well thought out. It'll take me awhile to get the hang of this new operating system but I am up for the task. I'm still traumatized by Windows. Anything other than Vista. What's even better is that I got a free iPod Touch out of it.

I'm happy to finally be part of the Mac family.
Old 06-12-2008, 09:38 PM   #31
azsnappi

i just got a 24 inch imac...im in heaven. so awesome.

if you need to upgrade RAM check out [Only registered users can see links.] . great prices.
azsnappi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 09:48 PM   #32
Psionic

Welcome to the family, I hope you like the kool-aid.

I'm just gonna say, install Perian from perian.org, and grab vlc. Perian adds damn near all the codes you need to the system so that all videos work with quicktime / quickview (quickview is so sweet).

I got my ram @ mushkin. 4gb, 135 bux.

Congrats guys!
-Psi
Old 06-12-2008, 11:01 PM   #33
BeaufordBuddy

Quote:
Welcome to the family, I hope you like the kool-aid.

I'm just gonna say, install Perian from perian.org, and grab vlc. Perian adds damn near all the codes you need to the system so that all videos work with quicktime / quickview (quickview is so sweet).

I got my ram @ mushkin. 4gb, 135 bux.

Congrats guys!
-Psi
Yep, Perian is the codec pack that was recommended to me in the Mac Forums. I'll get right on that. I have a slew of other applications that I'll need to install for various other tasks as well (Bit Torrent, FTP, burning, etc.).
Old 06-12-2008, 11:06 PM   #34
Psionic

Quote:
(Bit Torrent, FTP, burning, etc.).
Transmission, Cyberduck, Burn

You'll find em all @ versiontracker.org
Old 06-14-2008, 11:00 AM   #35
BeaufordBuddy

Quote:
Transmission, Cyberduck, Burn

You'll find em all @ versiontracker.org
Thanks man, I installed all of those and they work great.

What do you suggest for file compression? I don't want to have to buy StuffIf. I know there's some free application out there that will handle it. Preferably I'd like an application that has the widest compatibility and can recognize the most archive files types. Got any suggestions?
Old 06-15-2008, 08:48 AM   #36
scottbrown
Eli sucks

right click (contorl click) "Compress xxxxx"

zip compression is built into the OS

there's also the free stuffit expander that'll expand most things
Old 06-15-2008, 12:28 PM   #37
Psionic

Quote:
right click (contorl click) "Compress xxxxx"

zip compression is built into the OS

there's also the free stuffit expander that'll expand most things
that's what i do too. Stuffit expander is great for un-archiving most formats, and i really dont care if i make a .rar or a .zip, so the built in .zip compression is really nice.
Old 06-15-2008, 11:49 PM   #38
pepelapag
You're Fuckin' Out

hey psionoc, i am having some general issues with my mac. its about 3 years old, and lately its been freezing up a lot. i dont want to have to get a new one, is there any software that i can get to help make it run smoother/faster? like a general clean up type thing? id appreciate any help.
Old 06-16-2008, 01:15 AM   #39
Psionic

Well, If you haven't in a while, back-up all your documents etc, and do a clean install of the operating system. If you can, upgrade your ram, and make sure you run your software updates..

Beyond that i'd suggest Tech Tool Pro or Diskwarrior. But those are 99.00 each.

Good luck!
-psi
Old 06-19-2008, 11:44 AM   #40
JWood

Question:

My friend just graduated, but still was wondering if he could use the Education discount. I was looking at the website and didn't really see anything saying he couldn't. It's a $200 discount when buying the Macbook Pro, and you get the free iPod that Beauford Buddy was talking about.
JWood is offline   Reply With Quote

These Days Continue > The Continuation > nDMBc