These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > nDMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 08-29-2017, 10:41 AM   #481
ggies
Sugar Will '04

This is a nice article summarizing this report. If you are interested, definitely look at it, it has a ton of information.

[Only registered users can see links.]

Quote:
When you exclude the production tax credit and look at the levelized cost of energy (LCOE) from interior wind, it still comes in at an extremely competitive cost of less than 50 dollars per megawatt-hour (5 cents per kilowatt-hour). For comparison, the Energy Information Administration estimates a best-in-class combined cycle natural gas power plant has an LCOE of about 54 dollars per megawatt-hour (5.4 cents per kilowatt-hour).
ggies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 04:02 PM   #482
ggies
Sugar Will '04

A short, but impactful interview with Neil deGrasse Tyson on The Daily Show.

There was so much in this little interview. One part that grabbed me was when they were talking about how it's a privilege to be able to contemplate the universe and its meaning. This automatically got me thinking about the idea that in the future when most of AI robots are doing human activities, we will have more time to think about the "arts", ergo one being the universe.

It almost seems as if most of society over the decades has lost this ability to think about such questions because they are so focused on daily life/profits/politics. If our new technology can free our minds, we might be able to save our species.......
Old 08-29-2017, 08:59 PM   #483
gweeps

Here's another reason to take better care of this planet: [Only registered users can see links.]
gweeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 08:44 AM   #484
ggies
Sugar Will '04

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweeps View Post
Here's another reason to take better care of this planet: [Only registered users can see links.]
Old 08-31-2017, 01:58 PM   #485
TDunk

I filled up today because I heard a lot of gas stations were running out. Could've been a lie.
TDunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 02:16 PM   #486
ggies
Sugar Will '04

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDunk View Post
I filled up today because I heard a lot of gas stations were running out. Could've been a lie.
Nope. People around here are freaking out. Gas is gone from a lot of QT's. I work in North Dallas and there were lines at all the gas stations during lunch time.

Can we get real here? I hope everyone understands that this problem could be solved if we get out of the loop we are in. You guys know I will be in 3-4 months. I feel bad watching everyone freak out as if there is no other way society could get around. We have the tech now to live a different way, we just need to have the drive to do it. sigh....
Old 08-31-2017, 02:18 PM   #487
ggies
Sugar Will '04

Update on the US solar panel factory: [Only registered users can see links.]

Quote:
Tesla’s Chief Technical Officer, JB Straubel, says the company now has several hundred workers and machinery installed in its 1.2 million-square-foot factory in Buffalo.

“By the end of this year we will have the ramp-up of solar roof modules started in a substantial way,” Straubel told The Associated Press Thursday. “This is an interim milestone that we’re pretty proud of.”

Last edited by ggies; 08-31-2017 at 02:39 PM.
Old 09-06-2017, 10:17 AM   #488
ggies
Sugar Will '04

Well, if you haven't seen it, here is the LEAF 2.0:

-New body design
-150 miles EPA range for early 2018 – starting at $29,990.
-60 kWh pack available in a year or so for ~220 miles of EPA range.

It's perfect for anyone driving in the city with a mild climate. I would not get it if you live somewhere like TX, AZ as Nissan still did not put in a liquid cool BMS for the battery. tisk tisk Nissan.

Old 09-07-2017, 07:57 PM   #489
ggies
Sugar Will '04

So the Heartland Institute put out an article attacking EVs, specifically Tesla.

What a title eh?...........sheesh.

All the reasons they give are lies and this article goes one by one and discredits them. Here is an example:

Quote:
The oil industry mouthpiece continues:

“Despite the federal government having provided a $465 million low-interest loan for Tesla to develop a cheap electric vehicle in 2009 and the billions of dollars in tax credits given to buyers, Tesla has continued to turn out $110,000 luxury cars designed for and marketed to millionaires. Those buyers obviously could afford to pay the full freight for their vehicles but instead took money from the poor and middle-income households to fund their “green lifestyle” purchases.”
What they forget to mention is that Tesla paid it back early + interest. The rebuttal from the horses mouth back in 2013:

If someone gives you these ideas that are in the heartland article, remember they are false and you can give them the actual facts.
Old 09-07-2017, 08:24 PM   #490
ggies
Sugar Will '04

Update on the storage sector, which means the grid continues to get cleaner:

Quote:
In the second quarter of 2017, 443 residential and commercial energy systems were deployed across the United States, representing 32 megawatt-hours of capacity.

Quote:
Led by deployments in California and New York, the non-residential market, which includes commercial, industrial, religious, military and nonprofit behind-the-meter deployments, rose to 27.3 megawatt-hours in Q2 2017, growing 151 percent over the first quarter of 2017.
Old 09-08-2017, 08:38 AM   #491
ggies
Sugar Will '04

Quote:
“Air pollution is a growing problem and we’re determined to play our part. Londoners already know many cars on our app are hybrids, but we want to go much further and go all electric in the capital.”
Quote:
Furthermore, all new car going on the company’s Uberx network will have to electric by the end of 2019.
Old 09-11-2017, 03:14 AM   #492
gweeps

gweeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 07:29 AM   #493
ggies
Sugar Will '04

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweeps View Post

so stupid, but I got a laugh.
Old 09-13-2017, 10:15 AM   #494
ggies
Sugar Will '04

Another study saying basically the same thing. Lots of good bullet points in here, just wanted to show this one. Check out the rest!

Quote:
"Oil is losing ground as a source of heat and power, and is set to flatten from 2020 and fall significantly from that point as the penetration of electric vehicles gains momentum."

Old 09-14-2017, 08:34 AM   #495
ggies
Sugar Will '04

This headline seems fine until you look at where our tax dollars are being wasted on an outdated process to one of the world's richest entities.

Quote:
Safer drilling – Reducing risks and costs with real time, downhole kick detection, $700,000
Saudi Aramco, Houston, Texas
Old 09-14-2017, 02:24 PM   #496
ggies
Sugar Will '04

Interesting perspective on how too much CO2 in the air affects the plants we eat. I've read several articles on what is happening to our soil, but none that focused on this aspect of agriculture.

Quote:
"Across nearly 130 varieties of plants and more than 15,000 samples collected from experiments over the past three decades, the overall concentration of minerals like calcium, magnesium, potassium, zinc and iron had dropped by 8 percent on average. The ratio of carbohydrates to minerals was going up. The plants, like the algae, were becoming junk food."
Old 09-14-2017, 03:07 PM   #497
TDunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggies View Post
Well, if you haven't seen it, here is the LEAF 2.0:

-New body design
-150 miles EPA range for early 2018 – starting at $29,990.
-60 kWh pack available in a year or so for ~220 miles of EPA range.

It's perfect for anyone driving in the city with a mild climate. I would not get it if you live somewhere like TX, AZ as Nissan still did not put in a liquid cool BMS for the battery. tisk tisk Nissan.

damn, so what's the negative if you live in Texas and had this car without a liquid cool BMS?
Old 09-14-2017, 03:47 PM   #498
ggies
Sugar Will '04

Quote:
damn, so what's the negative if you live in Texas and had this car without a liquid cool BMS?
You would typically see your daily range drop and over a few years see your battery range drop. This is doubly bad as the LEAF doesn't have a lot of range to begin with....The heat is horrible for batteries and you must keep them at an even temperature all the time for long-lasting effect.

This is one of the reasons why I chose to invest in Tesla years ago and why Tesla leads the EV market.
Old 09-14-2017, 04:38 PM   #499
TDunk

well shit
Old 09-14-2017, 08:06 PM   #500
ggies
Sugar Will '04

Quote:
well shit
Did you have one?