These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > nDMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 09-11-2017, 10:35 AM   #841
SonofSuns34
There are no strings on me...

Thanks guys. Word from marathon was that the surge want too bad and the highest winds were 120. Right now they aren't letting people back in. They have no power, cel service, water, or sewer running now.
Teams are landing at the airport to clear the roads and they are bringing in bridge inspectors to start checking bridges. We are all healthy and safe, hope everyone else who was down in Florida is too. Stuck in Kissimmee for at least the next 6 days and then making a plan.
SonofSuns34 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 11:28 AM   #842
Mitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tambourine Man View Post
I think the biggest deal for Florida is going to be clearing the streets and getting power restored. It could take months
Yup. My daughter's in Gainesville, which is in north central FLA, and has no power. I'm supposed to go down to visit on Friday, not sure if that's happening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonofSuns34 View Post
We are all healthy and safe, hope everyone else who was down in Florida is too. Stuck in Kissimmee for at least the next 6 days and then making a plan.
that's most important
Mitch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 12:26 PM   #843
Bluewater34
Is Old

Glad to hear that news. Fingers crossed for everything at home.
Old 09-12-2017, 10:31 AM   #844
Mitch

Holy fuck, guys. So, I did the 23andMe DNA test a little while back and received my results last week. As I mentioned here before, I was adopted and have known nothing about my biological parents my whole life (I'll be 48 this month). Nor have I ever been the type to care much about finding them, etc. I love my life.
Well, in addition to finding out good health-related news (not having the variants for Parkinson's, Alzheimer's and everything they tested for- which I know is no guarantee of course, but still good to know), I of course found out about my bloodline heritage and a lot more. Quickly, my DNA shows me as mainly Irish, which I've always suspected, and 2nd most is Ashkenazi Jew which is actually nice to know considering I was raised Jewish, even though I'm not religious. They even break it down further with a timeline showing that I likely had a parent that was 100% Irish and a grandparent that was likely 100% Ashkenazi Jew (so other parent likely had a mix of that).
Sooooo, then they the "DNA Relatives" portal that Tamby had discussed here awhile back, and they warn you that you may find out some serious shit there. According to this database, my closest DNA relative in there is likely a first cousin due to the amount of DNA we share.
After considering it (for maybe not long enough), I contacted her through the website. And through our discussion, based on the DNA info, the facts we both shared (we kind of slow-played some of it with each other, but it all kept connecting) and her consulting with her parents and aunt, we seemingly determined who my biological father was, and circumstances of his life and death. The last part freaks me out b/c, after a reluctance I could sense on her part, she told me that he took his own life at 45 years old. It is surreal to know a name and details like this after all this time. (She knows nothing about my biological mother, thinks her uncle likely was unaware of me).
The other thing is that she seems interested in keeping the connection and going, and told me I have a half-brother she is close with, who is excited about this. But I really don't know if I want to go much further down the road. At the end of the day, my connection to them doesn't seem all that important, it is purely just based on the fact that a guy had an illegitimate child with some chick and I therefore share a bit of DNA with them.
Sorry so long, but that actually is the short version. If anyone has questions, comments, advice, etc, I am open to anything
Old 09-12-2017, 10:52 AM   #845
Bluewater34
Is Old

That's awesome, in the most literal sense of the word (as in awe-inspiring). Having the entire question of your basic existence answered, even if it wasn't something that was important to you, must put something to rest inside you. Quite an adventure!
Old 09-12-2017, 11:17 AM   #846
gweeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
But I really don't know if I want to go much further down the road. At the end of the day, my connection to them doesn't seem all that important
This is how I feel about my biological family. I even have at least one number I could call to check up on members if I wanted to. I don't. Though every once in a while I wonder if I'm making a mistake. But since they don't ever try to contact me, maybe I'm not. Or we're all just pulling our punches or whatever.

I discovered information back when I had a Facebook account. I connected with an aunt and then my younger brother. Then I actually called my birth mother one evening years ago. That was an odd experience. Right after I called my Mom. I'll never do that again, especially since my Mom's been gone for 6 years now. Still, it was a unique evening.

The Internet can be your friend, but it can also reveal things that may be better off left in the past. I hold no animosity toward any of them, but I don't have, as you say, much of a connection either. I also have a couple pictures. I should have just kept it a mystery perhaps. Oh well, curiosity and all...
gweeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 11:36 AM   #847
Mitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluewater34 View Post
That's awesome, in the most literal sense of the word (as in awe-inspiring).
It really is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweeps View Post
This is how I feel about my biological family. I even have at least one number I could call to check up on members if I wanted to. I don't. Though every once in a while I wonder if I'm making a mistake. But since they don't ever try to contact me, maybe I'm not. Or we're all just pulling our punches or whatever.

I discovered information back when I had a Facebook account. I connected with an aunt and then my younger brother. Then I actually called my birth mother one evening years ago. That was an odd experience. Right after I called my Mom. I'll never do that again, especially since my Mom's been gone for 6 years now. Still, it was a unique evening.

The Internet can be your friend, but it can also reveal things that may be better off left in the past. I hold no animosity toward any of them, but I don't have, as you say, much of a connection either. I also have a couple pictures. I should have just kept it a mystery perhaps. Oh well, curiosity and all...
Thanks for sharing, gweeps. I didn't know you were also adopted. It is crazy that the advances in science and technology have made this type of info so easy to come by all of a sudden.
Old 09-12-2017, 11:51 AM   #848
SonofSuns34

Wow Mitch that is really cool. It's awesome your cousin was so receptive and open too.
Old 09-12-2017, 05:23 PM   #849
Jack
Grand Army of Letters

Damn, that is nuts. So many quesions could come from that info. I love that you have a great family / life and therefore you have the power over this information.

Another child that's grown old
Jack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 05:29 PM   #850
Tambourine Man
now in Capshaw Blue

That's sad that your biological dad killed himself...sounds like it was a blessing he had the sense to put you up for adoption.

My Dad kept his profile up and his half-sister ended up contacting him. She already knew she was my grandfathers illegitimate kid. Her mom is dying of brain cancer and can't talk. She asked her about it and she just got the death stare. She can't break the news to her "dad" because it would be too hurtful to him. He's been taking care of the dying mom. It's my grandfathers second illegitimate child...I'm sure there are more. He was stationed in Korea and Germany
Tambourine Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 08:35 PM   #851
Mitch

I've been continuing to talk to my "cousin." She wrote me this earlier:

Quote:
Uncle Jacks life may have ended tragically, but we was a very loving, sweet man. Life of the party, charismatic, bodybuilder, boisterous, actor, performer, singer, you name it. Unfortunately, alcohol addiction is something the -- men have all struggled with. He was a great guy, though.
I googled his name with "1947 1992" and apparently he's buried in Fort Snelling National Cemetery and it shows his headstone with "US Army, US Navy, Vietnam" etc on it. It's surreal to stare at. The 1947-1992 also has Gravedigger in my head all day.

On a lighter note, I removed it in the quote above b/c it seems like the right thing to do, but his last name was a lot cooler than my last name is, so I kinda feel unlucky in that regard
Old 09-12-2017, 09:27 PM   #852
Tambourine Man
now in Capshaw Blue

No interest in talking to your half brother? If he's normal and doesn't want money or something, it could be interesting.
Tambourine Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 12:44 AM   #853
gweeps

Old 09-19-2017, 06:26 PM   #854
SonofSuns34

Finally got back home today after 12 days in a hotel, house is still standing but lost a shit ton of siding, all the ceiling fans on the porches were ripped right out of the studs, garage took about three feet of water in it and ruined pretty much everything in there. Wife lost her car, my inlaws lost a ton of pictures and thier wedding albums. I lost all my cds and B&P's from like ten years ago, all my dvds, and countless other things just classified as 'stuff'. Bottom line is that the house is still standing... I cleaned up for 6 hours today and I am totally burnt and spent... still have a crap ton of trees to cut up tomorrow...
Old 09-19-2017, 06:51 PM   #855
Bluewater34
Is Old

Sorry to hear that so much was lost, but very happy to hear that the structure is ok and the worst didn't happen.
Old 09-19-2017, 07:23 PM   #856
gweeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonofSuns34 View Post
Finally got back home today after 12 days in a hotel, house is still standing but lost a shit ton of siding, all the ceiling fans on the porches were ripped right out of the studs, garage took about three feet of water in it and ruined pretty much everything in there. Wife lost her car, my inlaws lost a ton of pictures and thier wedding albums. I lost all my cds and B&P's from like ten years ago, all my dvds, and countless other things just classified as 'stuff'. Bottom line is that the house is still standing... I cleaned up for 6 hours today and I am totally burnt and spent... still have a crap ton of trees to cut up tomorrow...
Jesus. Glad to hear everybody's okay, relatively speaking. I'd be devastated losing so much personal stuff. Not everything can be replaced. I'm sure you have insurance, so hopefully there are no hassles with getting that sorted.
Old 09-19-2017, 07:59 PM   #857
SonofSuns34

Nope, no insurance... we got the CO on Friday at 6 pm when the final inspection was done. Labor Day was Monday and on Tuesday since the storm was coming, insurance companies were not writing new policies... totally got a screw job on timing
Old 09-19-2017, 08:39 PM   #858
ThememanXX
Ichiro is the New Giancarlo

Banker Brokers Champion! Suduko Champion!
Tournaments Won: 2

Yeah that's awful timing. Do as much as you can and take it one day at a time, keep us posted on progress and vent away, of course. Hell of a start to your Florida life!
handjob on the lawn during the encore saved it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
Who'd you jerk off?
ThememanXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 07:17 PM   #859
SonofSuns34

First load at the curb
Old 10-12-2017, 03:47 PM   #860
SonofSuns34

So a month since the storm hit us and life is slowly returning to normal, we still haven't had anyone come to replace the siding or reset the pool (which we now call our pond since there are still minnows alive in it). We keep being told 'we will get there next week' and no one ever shows up...

At my school I am bouncing around teaching algebra 1, Biology, and 6th grade math, but for some of these kids it is hard to care about school when your home was blown to pieces and you're living out of a camper...

There are two mountains of debris where trucks are hauling everything. One is right across from our school and the smell is god awful. The golf course has become the appliance dump and it is totally ruined.

These Days Continue > The Continuation > nDMBc