These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2020, 11:33 AM   #11981
ggies
Sugar Will '04

Quote:
Originally Posted by greykitkat36 View Post
The best part of CT album is the 20 second Jeff solo in BBB. That's literally the only time on the entire album where I take a deep breath and say, "there's DMB. That's my band."
Yesir.
ggies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 11:57 AM   #11982
NiCK (Crush)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrawn View Post
Nah, I'm still team VITR.
I'm back on board! #teamVITR
Old 01-30-2020, 12:51 PM   #11983
SomeDevil17

Acoustics VITR is a nice treat.
SomeDevil17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 01:09 PM   #11984
Fan#41

Homers Beer Run Champion!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmb1981 View Post
But it doesn’t. It’s a cool sounding, very well produced song that goes nowhere. After 3 mins I’m looking for something to happen or end. But it keeps going for 3 more and nothing changes.

I’d rather hear it live Dave and Tim on guitars.
I totally understand your viewpoint of this song. I, personally, don't mind that it doesn't have a solo or some crescendo / climatic build. It was a nice change of pace in that regard. It isn't a song that fits the typical mode of a DMB tune where there's this big build and someone has a solo and then the song fades or ends abruptly. I think that was one of the reasons I love Trouble With You so much as well. Another very well balanced studio cut that had careful production for a song that, as you kinda put it "doesn't go anywhere" with solos or a build. However, I understand Trouble With You has Roi playing over the chorus and verses but there's no build, no solo, etc... It just fades out. NOW, I also understand that you could say Trouble With You was a bonus track and had it been on the main album would have likely had more to it, but we'll never know. All we know is that even though it wasn't on the main record it was still officially released. So at the very least we have to take what we have as a final cut/edit. I think songs like these; Trouble With You, VITR are few and far between in this band's catalog of songs that go against the grain in terms of how we perceive DMB tunes are created and finished with a solo or multiple solos or at least have a crescendo they can reach. I like that it's different, VITR that is - and Trouble With You for that matter, and I enjoy the lyrics, the vocal deliveries, the groove, the restraint that both of those songs have. I think it's easy for this band to go balls out or just do the typical solo after verse #2 and then at the end.

I'm not trying to convince you. You don't like it and I totally understand. Just explaining why I thoroughly enjoy it. Again, in a live setting?...no thank you. Maybe once in a blue moon, or only during D&T or Dave solo sets. But as a studio track that I listen to quite often, yes please.
Fan#41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 01:12 PM   #11985
Tomacco

Good example of song that doesn’t have solos or build up: Virginia in the Rain.
Bad example: Stolen Away
Tomacco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 01:17 PM   #11986
Fan#41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomacco View Post
Good example of song that doesn’t have solos or build up: Virginia in the Rain.
Bad example: Stolen Away
You know it's funny, some of these tunes I found so offensive as a fan back then don't offend me as much anymore. Not to say Stolen Away is on the same level as VITR or Trouble With You, for me, but I've warmed up to it in the last couple of years. I don't even feel bad for this opinion. I like it now. 25 year old me would probably punch 40 year old me in the face for this.
Old 01-30-2020, 03:34 PM   #11987
zaphod!

VITR doesn't "build up", but the way carter changes it up as the song goes on certainly helps it
zaphod! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 03:43 PM   #11988
Fan#41

Yep. I really like what Carter does in it.
Old 01-30-2020, 04:24 PM   #11989
NiCK (Crush)

Absolutely, Carter and Stefan are both fantastic on that track.
Old 01-30-2020, 04:39 PM   #11990
dmb1981

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiCK (Crush) View Post
Absolutely, Carter and Stefan are both fantastic on that track.
On the album, Stefan and Carter are the two who make it a great studio track. Live, it doesn't come through unfortunately. Sleepy time bathroom time.
Old 01-30-2020, 04:46 PM   #11991
NiCK (Crush)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmb1981 View Post
On the album, Stefan and Carter are the two who make it a great studio track. Live, it doesn't come through unfortunately. Sleepy time bathroom time.
I don't mind it live, but I get what you're saying. I wish they would try to mimic the studio sound a bit more live. With Buddy there they definitely can do it.
Old 01-30-2020, 04:54 PM   #11992
dmb1981

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiCK (Crush) View Post
I don't mind it live, but I get what you're saying. I wish they would try to mimic the studio sound a bit more live. With Buddy there they definitely can do it.
Not playing it live with Buddy is strange. They could do so much more with it. Goes to show if Dave's not playing piano on it, there doesn't seem to be any interest on his part. Although, he does seem to like it on the guitar with Tim.

And, If Only not being played with Buddy is even stranger. Wonder if it's a Dave voice range thing.
Old 01-31-2020, 08:11 AM   #11993
sean52692
You failed this band

Solo VITR from the XM show sure is a treat.

These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc