These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > nDMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 12-25-2017, 11:03 AM   #121
bassplayer22

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaLaKaS View Post
This is by far the most polarizing Star Wars movie ever though, right? Or would Return of the Jedi be? I personally love RotJ, but I know that some people don't.
Absolutely. Jedi would probably was until this.

Empire I think is the overall best but my favorite scenes of all the movies are the Luke-Vader-Emporer scenes from Jedi and the Luke Vader saber duel in the throne room.
bassplayer22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 11:09 AM   #122
bassplayer22

Quote:
Originally Posted by greykitkat36 View Post
The other thing that stuck out to me was Rose's line: "That's how we're going to win. Not by killing what we hate, but saving what we love." Still as cheesy as it gets, but I think that, in a nutshell, is where this trilogy is going. Rather than Rey killing Kylo Ren and destroying the first order, she probably along with some jedi-in training are going to convert him back to the light side and together they're going to end the first order and bring peace to the galaxy. So very similar to ROTJ except Kylo survives unlike Vader. Very disney-esque ending, but also a way to kind of end the whole back and forth of the Sith/Dark vs. Light/Good that just seems to never end. It's a way for the franchise to close the book for good on that specific storyline if they want, but also leaves it in a position to go somewhere if they do in the future want to keep it going. I wonder if JJ is going to do what he did in the first movie and have this next one mirror ROTJ note for note, or if he's going to make it different like Johnson.
The Canto Bight stuff was absolutely my least favorite part of the movie. They should've cut that down and included more Rey/Luke scenes. Supposedly there a few that were cut for time.

I hope JJ doesn't play it too safe but I have a feeling they will after the reaction to TLJ. Say what you will, Johnson at least tried to go in a different direction than what you have seen before.

With Carries passing, I wonder if JJ will try to bring Luke back more than just as a force ghost. I loved Luke's arc in this but he should not have been killed off yet in my opinion. I still wanted to see him in a long light saber fight with the green saber.
Old 12-25-2017, 12:52 PM   #123
Caveat Emperor
The Flyin' Lions

Disc Golf Champion! Flash Poker Champion! Super Mario Flash HV Champion! Whammy Champion!
The Cabto Bight stuff was doubly-annoying because it served no real purpose to the plot of the film, other than to allow Rian Johnson to make some cynical commentary on the nature of war — and how there really is no “good side,” since both sides are just making bad people rich.

That may be 100% true in reality, but that’s not really the direction I come to a Star Wars movie to see. They’re movies that have clear cut lines between good and evil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
What's this about 'extended delay?' Hardened boarders know TDC was only down for two days: the day it went down, and the day it went back up.
Caveat Emperor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 12:59 PM   #124
Caveat Emperor
The Flyin' Lions

Disc Golf Champion! Flash Poker Champion! Super Mario Flash HV Champion! Whammy Champion!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassplayer22 View Post
It still seems to me the issues with the trilogy are the issues laid out in TFA not this movie. The decision for Luke to be missing and secluded on an island were choices made from the first movie.
Not really.

TFA sets up Luke Skywalker as the macguffin of the film ó the entire movie, on some level, is about Luke. Heís in the first line of the opening crawl. Kylo Ren is obsessed with finding the map to get to him. The Resistence needs to find him.

Itís a great setup for TFA ó how do you blame THAT film for Rian Johnson deciding that he simply doesnít care about making a movie that pays off the idea of Luke Skywalker being a critical player in the fight to end the First Order / Empire once and for all?

When you think about it, Leia should fucking HATE her brother. He fucked up her sonís training, tried to kill him, then went off to sulk instead of fixing the problem. Then, she commits tons of resources and lives to finding him, only for him to basically tell her ďFuck off. Iím not leaving my island, training your new Jedi girl, or doing a god damn thing to help you.Ē

Every time I think about this movie, it annoys me.

Quote:
What's this about 'extended delay?' Hardened boarders know TDC was only down for two days: the day it went down, and the day it went back up.
Caveat Emperor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 01:42 PM   #125
bassplayer22

But he was critical here for the Resistance. Without him the resistance dies on Crait. His appearance there is meant to be their symbol going forward. The legend of Luke Skywalker.
Old 12-25-2017, 01:59 PM   #126
somf4eva

Quote:
The Canto Bight stuff was absolutely my least favorite part of the movie. They should've cut that down and included more Rey/Luke scenes. Supposedly there a few that were cut for time.

I hope JJ doesn't play it too safe but I have a feeling they will after the reaction to TLJ. Say what you will, Johnson at least tried to go in a different direction than what you have seen before.

With Carries passing, I wonder if JJ will try to bring Luke back more than just as a force ghost. I loved Luke's arc in this but he should not have been killed off yet in my opinion. I still wanted to see him in a long light saber fight with the green saber.
Agree with everything you say here.

I've heard a few people think that something like a decade will pass between the episode VII and IX. To me, I wonder who will train Rey. Will she learn from the books? I like Luke as a force ghost as well.

Quote:
But he was critical here for the Resistance. Without him the resistance dies on Crait. His appearance there is meant to be their symbol going forward. The legend of Luke Skywalker.
I dont like how he throws the lightsaber behind him at the beginning of the movie, but I like his arc for the movie and how he went out. He absolutely did what he said he couldnt do.
somf4eva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 02:03 PM   #127
bassplayer22

Luke will be back in some form. There is no way they go to Episode 9 with none of the OT characters.

If you want want to get technical, Luke's hand should've also stayed behind when he disappeared. So they COULD have an out if they wanted to
Old 12-26-2017, 11:54 AM   #128
somf4eva

true
somf4eva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 05:39 PM   #129
ggies
Sugar Will '04

Quote:
Saw it again earlier today and it was definitely better the second time around. I think part of why I hated it so much was I went in with expectations that the questions in TFA would be addressed and answered and that maybe they would entertain some of/parts of the fan theories. So my expectations definitely made me feel dissapointed. Going in this time without thinking about it made it a better experience.

That being said, I do dislike a lot of things about it still. I actually don't mind the direction they are going with the Jedi/The Force stuff as much, and it kind of made more sense this time around.
I just saw it for the second time as well and agree. The part I put in bold is exactly what I said to my friend when we left.
ggies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 10:20 PM   #130
MaLaKaS
Moore Soul

I think this is a very fair review of the film:

MaLaKaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 09:49 AM   #131
Jack
Grand Army of Letters

Quote:
Totally agree about Maz too...the whole Finn side-plot really served no purpose (especially because their plan totally backfired and didn't help at all) and seemed like it was kind of forced/shoehorned in. Finn barely develops as a character..I mean, he's clearly willing to put his life on the line to beat the First Order. but we knew that in the first movie. Aside from the crazy chase through the city his plot-line was severely boring and made the movie as a whole drag a lot.
Quote:
The other thing that stuck out to me was Rose's line: "That's how we're going to win. Not by killing what we hate, but saving what we love." Still as cheesy as it gets, but I think that, in a nutshell, is where this trilogy is going.
Well, that whole side plot led to the line you’re referring to and potentially to the path of the resistance making a comeback. Also how they chose to end the film.

I definitely enjoyed the movie. I don’t think it was as good as TFA (or rogue one), but I liked it.

Another child that's grown old
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 09:59 AM   #132
Jack
Grand Army of Letters

Iím kind of shocked people are so upset about how luke was portrayed. Luke was always a whiney bitch. Dude just wanted some power converters. History is full of weak / flawed men who have great defining moments.

Also, when I was younger (pre-internet) I loved everything and anything star wars. That didnít follow me into adulthood / the internet age, but since these movies came out it was just in my head that Han and Leia had had twins and Kylo and Rey were those twins. Yet, I see no mention of this anywhere. Am I crazy? Werenít there books to this effect? They had jedi twins, no? I realize those books arenít this trilogy, but wouldnít it still make total since that they are brother and sister and split up like luke and leia? And Iím surprised people seem to believe Kylo just telling her her parents were gutter trash. That seemed like an obvious lie to sway her to the dark side.

Another child that's grown old
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 10:28 AM   #133
MaLaKaS
Moore Soul

Quote:
But since these movies came out it was just in my head that Han and Leia had had twins and Kylo and Rey were those twins. Yet, I see no mention of this anywhere. Am I crazy? Weren’t there books to this effect? They had jedi twins, no? I realize those books aren’t this trilogy, but wouldn’t it still make total since that they are brother and sister and split up like luke and leia?

I remember those books too. To be honest, I forgot the name of them, but I definitely remember them existing in the expanded universe.
MaLaKaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 10:30 AM   #134
SonofSuns34
There are no strings on me...

Jacen and Jaina... and another son named Anakin

Spoiler:
Anakin died via a Force explosion. Jacen became a Sith, Killed luke's wife, became the new Galactic emperor and was a total dick... til his sister took care of him...

BUT NONE OF THIS HAPPENED ACCORDING TO DISNEY CANNON. Which is so frustrating because Luke does manage to stop being a whiny bitch... he fights a Space wizard, his clone Luuke (cloned from his missing hand), starts a new Jedi Academy on Yavin 4, and successfully trains a whole shit ton of Jedi, including his niece, nephews, and his own son Ben, and fights off a whole species of extra galactic invaders who are invisible to the force, the Yuuzhan Vong...
SonofSuns34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 03:09 PM   #135
bassplayer22

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonofSuns34 View Post
Jacen and Jaina... and another son named Anakin

Spoiler:
Anakin died via a Force explosion. Jacen became a Sith, Killed luke's wife, became the new Galactic emperor and was a total dick... til his sister took care of him...

BUT NONE OF THIS HAPPENED ACCORDING TO DISNEY CANNON. Which is so frustrating because Luke does manage to stop being a whiny bitch... he fights a Space wizard, his clone Luuke (cloned from his missing hand), starts a new Jedi Academy on Yavin 4, and successfully trains a whole shit ton of Jedi, including his niece, nephews, and his own son Ben, and fights off a whole species of extra galactic invaders who are invisible to the force, the Yuuzhan Vong...
What is missing from the new movies is that the galaxy was at peace for 15-20 years. It didnt require Luke to have to be the all mighty powerful hero. It gave him time to explore the galaxy and track down Jedi relics, study the force more etc.

I think TFA wouldve been helped more by showing the New Republic at work and show some of that peace with the First Order coming out of the shadows and attacking.

Instead they were really already at war and Luke was already gone so it seems like nothing was accomplished from the end of ROTJ.
Old 12-28-2017, 05:16 PM   #136
greykitkat36

Quote:
Iím kind of shocked people are so upset about how luke was portrayed. Luke was always a whiney bitch. Dude just wanted some power converters. History is full of weak / flawed men who have great defining moments.

Also, when I was younger (pre-internet) I loved everything and anything star wars. That didnít follow me into adulthood / the internet age, but since these movies came out it was just in my head that Han and Leia had had twins and Kylo and Rey were those twins. Yet, I see no mention of this anywhere. Am I crazy? Werenít there books to this effect? They had jedi twins, no? I realize those books arenít this trilogy, but wouldnít it still make total since that they are brother and sister and split up like luke and leia? And Iím surprised people seem to believe Kylo just telling her her parents were gutter trash. That seemed like an obvious lie to sway her to the dark side.
Yeah makes sense even though itís blatanty obvious. Always thought they were related. Especially because they kept connecting via the force in this movie just like Luke and Leia connected. But wouldnít they be aware that she exists?
Old 12-28-2017, 08:28 PM   #137
celluloid hero

Quote:
Yeah makes sense even though itís blatanty obvious. Always thought they were related. Especially because they kept connecting via the force in this movie just like Luke and Leia connected. But wouldnít they be aware that she exists?
Snoke said he connected them.
celluloid hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 01:10 AM   #138
greykitkat36

Quote:
Originally Posted by celluloid hero View Post
Snoke said he connected them.
Yeah but they stay connected even after he dies?
Old 12-30-2017, 01:36 AM   #139
bassplayer22

I think once the line was open they were tapping into it. I don't think they are related. Well at least not brother and sister.
Old 12-30-2017, 06:05 PM   #140
celluloid hero

Quote:
Yeah but they stay connected even after he dies?
Well, he connected them. That doesn't mean the connection runs through him, or a standard Buffy ending where killing the bad guy reverses all that bad guy's damage :-)
celluloid hero is offline   Reply With Quote

These Days Continue > The Continuation > nDMBc