These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2019, 04:44 PM   #1
ThememanXX
The Real Marlins Man
 
ThememanXX's Avatar
 
Banker Brokers Champion! Suduko Champion!
Tournaments Won: 2

Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Mountain Top, PA
Posts: 30,163
2001 Summer Tour: Pros/Cons

Got the idea from discussion in the WH disc thread. Let's make a thorough list of pros and cons about the 2001 summer tour. And....go!
__________________
-Jason
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiddySpence View Post
handjob on the lawn during the encore saved it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
Who'd you jerk off?
ThememanXX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 04:59 PM   #2
Mitch
Moderator
 
Mitch's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Long Island
Posts: 14,068
Pro: great Grey Streets
Con: Everyday songs
Mitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 05:01 PM   #3
dmb1981
 
dmb1981's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Toronto
Posts: 6,663
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
Pro: great Grey Streets
Con: Everyday songs
Pro: Band sounds incredible, Butchy on board
Con: Everyday songs (no doubt)
__________________
Long live the Matthews Band
dmb1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 06:09 PM   #4
Fan#41
 
Homers Beer Run Champion!
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Somerville, MA
Posts: 31,691
Pros:
---------
Me & Julio (w/ Paul Simon) - 5/5/01
#41 (w/ Soulive) - 5/15/01
LIOG (w/ Trey) - 5/19/01
Two Step (w/ teh rayne!@@!) - 6/11/01
Angel From Montgomery - 6/17/01
Lover Lay Down - 6/24/01
Ants Marching - 6/24/01
Seek Up - 6/24/01
Grey St. - 7/7/01
JTR - 7/11/01
Crash - 7/11/01
Bartender - 7/11/01
All the Flectones guest spots on 7/25/01
Seek Up - 7/30/01
Grey St. 8/3/01
Granny (w/ The Ladies) - 8/4/01
So Right - 8/4/01
Jimi Thing (w/ Eric Krasno) 8/4/01
So Right - 8/4/01
Say Goodbye - 8/10/01
Drive In Drive Out - 8/26/01
Bartender - 8/28/01
The Maker (w/ Tracy Chapman) - 10/21/01

Just some of the classic highlights that we all know. I can't even count the times we've cracked open the 2001 tour/year discussion. That horse is so dead at this point it's hard to believe it was ever even alive.
__________________
Variety of emotion is good...it just makes the music different colors. - LeRoi Moore
Fan#41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 06:43 PM   #5
Tomacco
 
Tomacco's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Toronto
Posts: 22,317
Pros: the band sounds really good on everything but the ED songs (for the most part)
Cons: too much ED stuff, Lovely Ladies making sets more predictable
Tomacco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 06:58 PM   #6
roshea999
Now that's Oldstyle
 
roshea999's Avatar
 
Battleship Champion! Beer Dude 2 Champion! Space Invaders Champion!
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Denver, Colorado
Posts: 9,441
Pros: some of the best Grey Street ever
Cons: truncated recently + extended angel
roshea999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 08:52 PM   #7
dm40band
the dreaming tree has died
 
dm40band's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,937
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan#41 View Post
Pros:
---------
Me & Julio (w/ Paul Simon) - 5/5/01
#41 (w/ Soulive) - 5/15/01
LIOG (w/ Trey) - 5/19/01
Two Step (w/ teh rayne!@@!) - 6/11/01
Angel From Montgomery - 6/17/01
Lover Lay Down - 6/24/01
Ants Marching - 6/24/01
Seek Up - 6/24/01
Grey St. - 7/7/01
JTR - 7/11/01
Crash - 7/11/01
Bartender - 7/11/01
All the Flectones guest spots on 7/25/01
Seek Up - 7/30/01
Grey St. 8/3/01
Granny (w/ The Ladies) - 8/4/01
So Right - 8/4/01
Jimi Thing (w/ Eric Krasno) 8/4/01
So Right - 8/4/01
Say Goodbye - 8/10/01
Drive In Drive Out - 8/26/01
Bartender - 8/28/01
The Maker (w/ Tracy Chapman) - 10/21/01

Just some of the classic highlights that we all know. I can't even count the times we've cracked open the 2001 tour/year discussion. That horse is so dead at this point it's hard to believe it was ever even alive.
you forgot that #40 into Waste combo 6.12.01
dm40band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 09:30 PM   #8
Steveo Style
 
Steveo Style's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: NJ
Posts: 4,210
Pros:

Dave without facial hair
Lovely Ladies are younger and better to look at
There’s a screen to look at
Giant condoms on stage
Steveo Style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 09:51 PM   #9
Thrawn
You can't take the sky from me
 
Thrawn's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: DC
Posts: 4,075
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveo Style View Post
Pros:
Giant condoms on stage
__________________
Being a Dave Matthews fan in 2018:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sci22 View Post
It's quite possible that if I catch you on a day you take a ghost shit where there's nothing to be wiped, the other 2 piles will smell much worse imo
Thrawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 10:00 PM   #10
Feathered
oh shit!
 
Feathered's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Manhattan, NY
Posts: 3,546
Pro's:
- LWS Leak forcing the band to panic debut BEF and probably kept more of those songs around
- The tour has a start where the Ladies aren't lurking around.
- Grey Street
- Last shows with the founding members only (right? i cant think of another year).
- Teases of some of their best songs was kinda cool and different
- Dressed in Black | Light Lift Me Up
- The Guest Spots were mostly on fire that tour.
- Nice cover song choices (where the f did Waste go?)
- The Baritone Guitar came into our lives.
- Two Stepz in DA RAINZ!!! (Not for nothing, still one of my favorite quick and dirty Two Steps)
- Seek Up from 7/30
- JTR having its last big year (2006 was sorta there but 2001 was its sophomore decline before it faded)

Cons:
- Angel being 15 minutes long.
- The Lovely Ladies
- The Lovely Ladies at almost every show
- The Lovely Ladies on way too many songs
- I'm not a fan of Butch and this was his first full tour
- Everyday songs sounded like total shit and didn't really grow much
- WTWE was played at 49/51 shows and never sounded different or grew at all
- Only Teasing some of their best songs
- The "New Song" vs "Missing Song" list on the almanac
- The Lovely Ladies "enhancing" the Everyday songs
- DOOF never being attempted live
- No show that I outright think is worth listening to from start to finish, mostly due to the sloppy Everyday and Ladies factor.
- Stadium shows sucked

Honorable wtf:
- That weird as fuck penis mushroom stage design.
Feathered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 10:27 PM   #11
dmb1981
 
dmb1981's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Toronto
Posts: 6,663
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feathered View Post
Pro's:
- LWS Leak forcing the band to panic debut BEF and probably kept more of those songs around
- The tour has a start where the Ladies aren't lurking around.
- Grey Street
- Last shows with the founding members only (right? i cant think of another year).
- Teases of some of their best songs was kinda cool and different
- Dressed in Black | Light Lift Me Up
- The Guest Spots were mostly on fire that tour.
- Nice cover song choices (where the f did Waste go?)
- The Baritone Guitar came into our lives.
- Two Stepz in DA RAINZ!!! (Not for nothing, still one of my favorite quick and dirty Two Steps)
- Seek Up from 7/30
- JTR having its last big year (2006 was sorta there but 2001 was its sophomore decline before it faded)

Cons:
- Angel being 15 minutes long.
- The Lovely Ladies
- The Lovely Ladies at almost every show
- The Lovely Ladies on way too many songs
- I'm not a fan of Butch and this was his first full tour
- Everyday songs sounded like total shit and didn't really grow much
- WTWE was played at 49/51 shows and never sounded different or grew at all
- Only Teasing some of their best songs
- The "New Song" vs "Missing Song" list on the almanac
- The Lovely Ladies "enhancing" the Everyday songs
- DOOF never being attempted live
- No show that I outright think is worth listening to from start to finish, mostly due to the sloppy Everyday and Ladies factor.
- Stadium shows sucked

Honorable wtf:
- That weird as fuck penis mushroom stage design.
Youíre not a fan of Butch? Of everything you wrote, that sticks out the most to me. Verrrry interesting.. lol
__________________
Long live the Matthews Band
dmb1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 10:44 PM   #12
Feathered
oh shit!
 
Feathered's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Manhattan, NY
Posts: 3,546
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmb1981 View Post
Youíre not a fan of Butch? Of everything you wrote, that sticks out the most to me. Verrrry interesting.. lol
Super duper not a Butch fan. Never really enjoyed his style of playing.

I know its an unpopular opinion but I was glad when he exited.
Feathered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 11:02 PM   #13
CRUSHsoccer15
 
CRUSHsoccer15's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Houston, Texas From: Sittingbourne, England
Posts: 10,915
I love the LT release from 2001.
__________________
John Dab
CRUSHsoccer15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 01:27 AM   #14
DIDO36
 
DIDO36's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Starkville, MS
Posts: 753
Pros:
1. The band sounded great in 2001.
2. 2001 is last time the original 5 played with no guest.
3. This is like the peak year for IEMs. Those are always a great listen.

Cons:
1. So much Everyday material.
2. The terrible lovely ladies on so many songs.


I actually like several ED tunes, but 2001 just had way too much ED material and it makes the sets pretty weak.

From this tour I recommend 5/9/01 and 7/25/01
DIDO36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 02:10 AM   #15
greykitkat36
 
greykitkat36's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 10,010
Pros: some good performances especially 7/25 Seek Up, JTR In In full rotation, great Fish> Tenders and some really cool guest spots (al green, Paul Simon, Santana etc)

Cons: 15 minute cheesy angel, LL, predictable sets, truncated Recrntly and Two Step. Very little rarities for the time. Shit like I Did It was in heavy rotation. Poorly shot official release (Folsom), knowing LWS got dropped for ED
__________________
S'cuse me. (spits out Ricola) Its just so I know where it is, so I can get it after. Can't waste it, Ricola's delicious."-- DJM
greykitkat36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 05:40 AM   #16
Dschakobi
eat, drink & be merry
 
Dschakobi's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Munich, Germany
Posts: 2,497
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan#41 View Post
#41 (w/ Soulive) - 5/15/01
was Rashawn with Soulive during this time?


I remember all the IEMs. Gotta love these tapes
Dschakobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 09:27 AM   #17
Habbs
Organic
 
Habbs's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: WI
Posts: 2,742
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dschakobi View Post
was Rashawn with Soulive during this time?


I remember all the IEMs. Gotta love these tapes
I'm pretty sure until 2003 only Sam Kininger was a regular saxophone "guest" with Soulive, Rashawn started around 2003.
__________________
"Reality leaves a lot to the imagination." - John Lennon
"Rituals are important. Nowadays it's hip not to be married. I'm not interested in being hip." - John Lennon
Habbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 09:30 AM   #18
DMBCLSTJ
 
DMBCLSTJ's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 5,149
Great thread creation Jason!

Everything in here is spot on, including the giant condoms. They just don't make stage set-up's like that anymore
__________________
Originally Posted by Jayes
If he just lays down two full elbow chords loudly over the entirety of That Girl Is You, he wins the band.
DMBCLSTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 10:04 AM   #19
celluloid hero
 
celluloid hero's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 9,865
Quote:
Originally Posted by greykitkat36 View Post
Pros: some good performances especially 7/25 Seek Up, JTR In In full rotation, great Fish> Tenders and some really cool guest spots (al green, Paul Simon, Santana etc)

Cons: 15 minute cheesy angel, LL, predictable sets, truncated Recrntly and Two Step. Very little rarities for the time. Shit like I Did It was in heavy rotation. Poorly shot official release (Folsom), knowing LWS got dropped for ED
I agree with all of this except the Two Step. It was a great year for Two Step, only a handful of them were at the 9 1/2 minute mark, most were well over 15 minutes.

I think generally if you pick out most shows from the tour, knowing what you're getting, you're going to have a good listen. Some setlists are rough, though, for sure.
celluloid hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 02:59 PM   #20
.Gary.
 
.Gary.'s Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 2,295
Years removed from both 2001 and 2005 I would argue that 2005 was a much worse tour.
.Gary. is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:41 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©2006 thesedayscontinue.org

Page generated in 0.11980 seconds with 36 queries