These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 11-16-2017, 10:17 PM   #161
willndmb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
Old Dirt Hill is almost a teenager. That is all.
A shitty Step child one at that
willndmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 03:24 AM   #162
greykitkat36

That was a good version of ODH. Great actually. That is a perfect example of how this band can still sound really good in 2018. Jeff is playing a lot and all over, Tim is clear in the mix but more subdued...nice clean tone no distortion. Carter is playing tasteful. This is the blueprint imo. Let’s get back to this sound. Dave’s voice is rough here but this was the end of the summer tour, so that’s to be expected..one of the the reasons i wish we got an earlier show in the summer released, but like what I hear so far from this release.
Old 11-17-2017, 08:06 AM   #163
Jayes
ISO Hello Again&Broken Things

Live Trax 44 - September 4th, 2016 - Gorge Amphitheater

ODH is still bottom tier but I actually enjoyed that! Nice crowd mix too. I think dad is getting this for xmas. Third release he attended and he loves em. Makes for easy gifts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 09:42 AM   #164
CRUSHsoccer15

Really enjoyed it as well.
Old 11-17-2017, 10:54 AM   #165
mja271

ODH is an example of how there were some decent ideas at the core of a lot of SU songs, but they were never fleshed out or explored in studio thanks to Batson being obsessed with looping and turning one riff into a whole song, and the band generally being pretty lazy at that time. If we were introduced to the song in this fashion as opposed to what was on the album it wouldn't be nearly as reviled.
Quote:
Originally Posted by celluloid hero View Post
This is the most absurd post I've ever made on a message board.
mja271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 12:11 PM   #166
greykitkat36

Quote:
Originally Posted by mja271 View Post
ODH is an example of how there were some decent ideas at the core of a lot of SU songs, but they were never fleshed out or explored in studio thanks to Batson being obsessed with looping and turning one riff into a whole song, and the band generally being pretty lazy at that time. If we were introduced to the song in this fashion as opposed to what was on the album it wouldn't be nearly as reviled.
Agreed. Im not sure it was due to the bands laziness or not, but no doubt the production on that album is atrociously bad and it ruined all of the songs and stripped the rawness out of the ideas. Musically that album would have been a hell of a lot better if they had someone else produce it. Thatís being said, Daveís to blame for the lyrics and SU has for sure some of his worst work in that regard.
Old 11-17-2017, 12:22 PM   #167
celluloid hero

Quote:
Ok, but it's also really simplistic to look at a song performance 11 years after it came out and say that because it's worlds better now, that they should have gotten somewhere close to this in the time they had in the studio. It's sort of the purpose of live music for a song to evolve like this over a period of time. It would be a complaint if it didn't.
celluloid hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 12:47 PM   #168
Poth Ead
Stay boring my friends...

Quote:
ODH is an example of how there were some decent ideas at the core of a lot of SU songs, but they were never fleshed out or explored in studio
Wholeheartedly agree but I always put the band first in terms of poor output for SU moreso than Batson. There's a word in the English language...a very powerful one... and it's "NO". Dave and Carter should of said "NO" to Batson, not the other way around...
Poth Ead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 01:15 PM   #169
mja271

Quote:
Ok, but it's also really simplistic to look at a song performance 11 years after it came out and say that because it's worlds better now, that they should have gotten somewhere close to this in the time they had in the studio. It's sort of the purpose of live music for a song to evolve like this over a period of time. It would be a complaint if it didn't.
I get what you're saying but there are a lot of great DMB songs that never really changed all that much from their studio recordings to the live setting and I don't think that's bothered anybody because they were complete and good songs when they were laid to tape. I just feel like they haphazardly threw together song ideas on SU and didn't ever consider other arrangements or thoughts around them. At least they've done that in the live setting as a handful of those songs ended up becoming tolerable.
Quote:
This is the most absurd post I've ever made on a message board.
mja271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 02:01 PM   #170
MaLaKaS
Moore Soul

Yea, this ODH is pretty good actually, and I've historically hated this song.
MaLaKaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 07:24 PM   #171
CRUSHsoccer15

preordered. i'm a sucker for a dvd release.
Old 11-22-2017, 11:43 AM   #172
canyonfool

I'm still on the fence about this release. I would really like the Blu-Ray, but I just can't get excited about the whole show.
canyonfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 07:00 PM   #173
MaLaKaS
Moore Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by canyonfool View Post
I'm still on the fence about this release. I would really like the Blu-Ray, but I just can't get excited about the whole show.

I wish there was a Blu-Ray only option. I like to get my audio shows digitally these days, as I like to collect vinyl only.
Old 11-22-2017, 09:46 PM   #174
willndmb

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaLaKaS View Post
I wish there was a Blu-Ray only option. I like to get my audio shows digitally these days, as I like to collect vinyl only.
Yeah and you can't really sell it off, without a little work, because they put it all in one case
willndmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 12:30 AM   #175
MaLaKaS
Moore Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by willndmb View Post
Yeah and you can't really sell it off, without a little work, because they put it all in one case

True
Old 11-24-2017, 10:01 AM   #176
celluloid hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaLaKaS View Post
Assuming that you get your audio shows digitally these days via paying for it, it is only an extra $2 for the package as opposed to what mp3 + Blu-Ray would be. I wouldn't think that'd be a deal breaker. Takes up the same room as the Blu-Ray would. Have to rip the discs I suppose.
celluloid hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 07:38 PM   #177
MaLaKaS
Moore Soul

Quote:
Assuming that you get your audio shows digitally these days via paying for it, it is only an extra $2 for the package as opposed to what mp3 + Blu-Ray would be. I wouldn't think that'd be a deal breaker. Takes up the same room as the Blu-Ray would. Have to rip the discs I suppose.
Yea no biggie here. It wasn't like a real complaint or anything. It was just a thought. No problem
Old 12-02-2017, 12:30 AM   #178
Hopper

I caved and picked this up. Looking forward to it.
Old 12-03-2017, 05:31 PM   #179
Tomacco

Wow, there's EIGHT songs in this show over 10 minutes long. That's pretty impressive.

Dave is the weak link on this release. The band actually sounds great and the guest spots are awesome. But there are a handful of songs where Dave sounds pretty brutal.

Last edited by Tomacco; 12-03-2017 at 07:42 PM.
Tomacco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 01:48 PM   #180
canyonfool

I also caved and ordered it. The Blu-Ray was what got me in the end.
canyonfool is offline   Reply With Quote

These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc