Quote:
Originally Posted by Tambourine Man View Post
Joshua Bell subs in for Boyd
Well, ok then.
Old 10-23-2017, 05:10 PM   #142
mario

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
Good memory. Yes. He drew my wife pictures and kissed her at 2/14/96. She was just 16. But, in fairness to him, it was on a college campus and he was still pretty young himself. He could have easily thought she was a freshman or something. But, it was definitely creepy enough for our friend’a dad (who is friends with tim) to get her out of there asap. He also seemed to he on a tare then (that intro to say bye at... middlebury? 2/16?).

Amother old friend had a lot of stories when he was at uva in a similar timeframe. Apparently dave was around the dorms a lot.
Can tell the story about Ashley that you and I learned from Texas? Its not creepy or anything.

mario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 05:27 PM   #143
That's it, Sir.
I understand.

Great thread title. Was pleasantly surprised upon my return.
That's it, Sir. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 05:47 PM   #144
sean52692
Ten steps ahead of you

From what I've gathered, mostly from sheer speculation, it sounds like this James Frost Winn guy got out of the situation (Crystal Garden & BT) before it escalated. I get the vibe that Boyd was making sexual suggestions and advances on him, using sex as a bargaining chip to stay in the band. Or something like that. Based on his Twitter, he left Crystal Garden in August of last yr.
sean52692 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 05:47 PM   #145
SeekUpAB

It’s kind of weird how many of you want this to be true and blow up. It’s shitty enough being a DMB fan. But I agree it wouldn’t be a surprise at all. When that lawsuit came out I was like yeah I could see that.

A+ thread title.
SeekUpAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 05:52 PM   #146
NiCK Crush

There does seem to be a weird "rooting for this" vibe going on.
Old 10-23-2017, 05:55 PM   #147
crazycreep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mario View Post
Can tell the story about Ashley that you and I learned from Texas? Its not creepy or anything.
C'mon you have to tell it now
Old 10-23-2017, 05:56 PM   #148
crazycreep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiCK Crush View Post
I know man I was thinking about it the other day and it could very well send Dave over the top to call the band quits.....u never know
Old 10-23-2017, 06:03 PM   #149
Bluewater34
Is Old

Quote:
I don't think anyone wants this to be true. It'd be fucking terrible if it's true. It's just that it's hard to dismiss it, because it's not that hard to believe.
Old 10-23-2017, 06:04 PM   #150
Jack
Grand Army of Letters

Quote:
Originally Posted by mario View Post
Shit. Not sure I remember this. But whatever it is, I imagine telling it would be frowned upon.

Quote:
Well, in fairness I don’t think people actually want this to be true. People want a change with dmb and boyd is the biggest problem in the band. Chiefly, he sucks, but he also appears not to give a shit. He’s just a cloud hanging over them. I would love to see an extremely talented violinist join the band and help drive them somewhere interesting.

I mean, christ. A founding member dies and the band ‘goes back to the van’ and tries to create something special honoring him. And what does this fucking guy do? He totally ghosts and spends all his time and effort making some shitty movie that no one wanted to see. Crystals and faces and hugs, oh my! Two tours ago he literally couldn’t even hold onto his instrument on stage while playing. He is a disaster.

Another child that's grown old
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 06:06 PM   #151
NiCK Crush

What's that Lindsey Sterling up to?
Old 10-23-2017, 07:00 PM   #152
crazycreep

Quote:
Shit. Not sure I remember this. But whatever it is, I imagine telling it would be frowned upon.

Well, in fairness I don’t think people actually want this to be true. People want a change with dmb and boyd is the biggest problem in the band. Chiefly, he sucks, but he also appears not to give a shit. He’s just a cloud hanging over them. I would love to see an extremely talented violinist join the band and help drive them somewhere interesting.

I mean, christ. A founding member dies and the band ‘goes back to the van’ and tries to create something special honoring him. And what does this fucking guy do? He totally ghosts and spends all his time and effort making some shitty movie that no one wanted to see. Crystals and faces and hugs, oh my! Two tours ago he literally couldn’t even hold onto his instrument on stage while playing. He is a disaster.
Seems like he had the support of at least Dave for that movie too, unless the music was something he was given permission to use that was already in the can....
Old 10-23-2017, 07:17 PM   #153
timh.
tasty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThememanXX View Post
Total Paterno/Sandusky scenario for the rest of the band
this was my first thought. if the allegations are true, the band's reputation is probably forever tarnished...
i timh.
and you can sig me on that.
timh. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 07:35 PM   #154
Jack
Grand Army of Letters

No way. This isn’t kids. It’s adult males. It might be news for like 4 hours. I doubt the mainstream world would ever even know of it or remember it after six months.

Another child that's grown old
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 07:40 PM   #155
NiCK Crush

Also, if Boyd is being a creep with the Crystal Garden dudes why would Dave and the rest of the guys HAVE to know about it?
Old 10-23-2017, 08:15 PM   #156
That's it, Sir.
I understand.

It may not be a popular opinion on a dmb messageboard but if Boyd is, in fact, a predator then I am rooting for him to face some degree of justice. The fact that it's adults and male on male shouldn't keep this from being newsworthy. In fact, I would say it that is all the more reason that the story needs to be brought to the forefront because of how grossly underreported same sex, especially male, sex abuse is. It may not exactly fit the same narrative as other prevalent cases that have come out as of late but, if true, that is all the more reason for it to be newsworthy because it points out the vulnerability of any person under coercive control by way of imbalance in power dynamic. I agree that it does not mean that other people he worked with in any capacity have/had knowledge of his actions or intent but if they did then shame on them. I also agree with much of what Jack said.
That's it, Sir. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 08:27 PM   #157
Bluewater34
Is Old

Is there anyone who doesn't want there to be justice if there's the need? I don't care who it is or who the victim is, predators and abusers need to get what's coming to them.
Old 10-23-2017, 08:34 PM   #158
EverydayIsTheDay

I actually tried listening to some DMB stuff today and had a hard time just thinking that Boyd might be up to some weird shit. I for one hope this isn't true at all. In a selfish way I just wish it would go away and doesn't turn into an actual issue.
EverydayIsTheDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 10:02 PM   #159
mario

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluewater34 View Post
Is there anyone who doesn't want there to be justice if there's the need? I don't care who it is or who the victim is, predators and abusers need to get what's coming to them.
For real.

Jesus christ people, keep it together. We don't need a five hundred white dissertation on your faux unpopular opinion that sex crimes shouldn't be covered up.

Tamby is the only one here who doesn't care about sex assault.

mario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 10:45 PM   #160
Tambourine Man
now in Capshaw Blue

Quote:
No way. This isn’t kids. It’s adult males. It might be news for like 4 hours. I doubt the mainstream world would ever even know of it or remember it after six months.
Keyword: males, so nobody will really care. Even if he was creeping on females, so many are being outed right now that it would just get lost in the shuffle. Also, Boyd sucks at his instrument and none of the media seems to ever mention that, so I’m not sure why they’d care about these allegations.
Tambourine Man is offline   Reply With Quote

These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc