These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2017, 06:01 PM   #21
MaLaKaS
Moore Soul
 
MaLaKaS's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Lost Somewhere In Jersey
Posts: 17,662
I was able to buy one too. #1989
MaLaKaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 06:43 PM   #22
mrpeters
Lock it away inside myself...
 
mrpeters's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Noblesville, IN
Posts: 8,622
I got 2067

Someone on facebook posted that they were sold a promo copy. Had the "property of Sony" sticker over the UPC and everything.



I'm also a little surprised they clearly used raster graphics to make the "Dave Matthews and Tim Reynolds Live At Luther College" text. It looks awful and you can tell it was not redone like the rest of the text/logos that are crisp and clearly done with proper vector art.

Not a big deal, just was surprising. Don't usually see that kind of slop on these releases. Especially considering Remember Two Things looked great, and this is just a couple of fonts.

Comes with a free download as well, but I suspect it's just the CD version in FLAC, so I'll have to break down and rip this
mrpeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 08:20 PM   #23
Majew10
 
Majew10's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2005
Location: NEPA
Posts: 2,562
bought one off eBay for $100. My local record store chain sold out in 5 mins. My uncle forgot to get a hold for me this time around. Don't mind paying an extra $20.
__________________
Joe
35 shows and counting...


My Stats
Majew10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 03:40 AM   #24
NiCK Crush
 

Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 46,738
This site will apparently put up some remaining stock tomorrow (the 25th - today)

[Only registered users can see links.]
__________________
NC
NiCK Crush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 08:26 AM   #25
dobyblue
 
dobyblue's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Gilead
Posts: 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpeters View Post
Comes with a free download as well, but I suspect it's just the CD version in FLAC, so I'll have to break down and rip this
I believe this is the original mastering cut for vinyl, considering how good the CD is (Ted Jensen is one of the best when heís not slammed it) and that this was a 16/44.1 DAT recording (16/48 at best) itís hardly surprising they went this route.

Sounds stunning on vinyl, seeing Kevin Grayís initials in the deadwax is wonderful news. Heís a vocal opponent of the loudness wars and will not accept jobs from artists / management that want their recording slammed, plus he can work in an all analogue chain and has his name on many top audiophile releases, several working alongside Steve Hoffman. One can only hold ones breath and hope his name will be attached to BTCS!
dobyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 09:48 AM   #26
mjf
 
mjf's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 3,940
Goddamnt why do DM fans have to have such deep pockets this is my favorite release Dave Matthews release period, I pray the prices come down a bit or they do a black vinyl run
mjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 02:23 PM   #27
Jack
Grand Army of Letters
 
Jack's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Stage Roi
Posts: 20,853
God dammit doby, I wasnít going to buy this! Looks like it is still available at my local bull mooses
__________________
Aims To Try
jack@thesedayscontinue.org

Another child that's grown old
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 02:35 PM   #28
mrpeters
Lock it away inside myself...
 
mrpeters's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Noblesville, IN
Posts: 8,622
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjf View Post
Goddamnt why do DM fans have to have such deep pockets this is my favorite release Dave Matthews release period, I pray the prices come down a bit or they do a black vinyl run
They are doing a black run, but it won't be any cheaper unless you are buying it from someone who is selling it at a markup.
mrpeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 04:35 PM   #29
NiCK Crush
 

Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 46,738
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
God dammit doby, I wasnít going to buy this! Looks like it is still available at my local bull mooses
This is my favorite vinyl release thus far. Do it.
__________________
NC
NiCK Crush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 11:24 PM   #30
DMBCLSTJ
 
DMBCLSTJ's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 4,571
100 bucks, saw 4 copies today at my store but just couldn't pull the trigger. Too rich for my blood
DMBCLSTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 10:58 AM   #31
mrpeters
Lock it away inside myself...
 
mrpeters's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Noblesville, IN
Posts: 8,622
Some stats for nerds. Vinyl DR stats below. Here is the CD version for comparison. [Only registered users can see links.]

Code:
foobar2000 1.3.14 / Dynamic Range Meter 1.1.1
log date: 2017-11-26 10:57:20

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Analyzed: Dave Matthews and Tim Reynolds / Live at Luther College (Limited Edition RSD 2017 150g Vinyl)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DR         Peak         RMS     Duration Track
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
DR12      -1.67 dB   -16.69 dB      5:30 01-One Sweet World
DR11      -1.91 dB   -16.06 dB      5:55 02-#41
DR11      -0.25 dB   -14.30 dB      5:21 03-Tripping Billies
DR12      -0.18 dB   -15.80 dB      8:39 04-Jimi Thing
DR12      -1.30 dB   -16.56 dB      4:38 05-Satellite
DR11      -0.60 dB   -14.37 dB      5:30 06-Crash Into Me
DR12      -1.02 dB   -15.93 dB      4:49 07-Deed Is Done
DR13      -1.11 dB   -18.62 dB      5:32 08-Lover Lay Down
DR14      -0.45 dB   -16.89 dB      5:25 09-What Would You Say
DR11      -2.45 dB   -16.23 dB      6:57 10-Minarets
DR11      -2.54 dB   -16.68 dB      5:34 11-Cry Freedom
DR11      -1.67 dB   -16.46 dB      7:28 12-Dancing Nancies
DR12      -1.49 dB   -16.23 dB      6:59 13-Typical Situation
DR13      -0.15 dB   -16.26 dB      5:55 14-Stream
DR12      -0.63 dB   -16.12 dB      9:14 15-Warehouse
DR14      -2.72 dB   -18.47 dB      5:35 16-Christmas Song
DR12      -0.13 dB   -15.34 dB      7:41 17-Seek Up
DR11      -0.87 dB   -15.14 dB      5:18 18-Say Goodbye
DR11      -0.84 dB   -14.51 dB      5:27 19-Ants Marching
DR11      -0.73 dB   -16.86 dB      6:20 20-Little Thing
DR11      -2.18 dB   -15.01 dB      2:59 21-Halloween
DR11      -0.42 dB   -14.81 dB      3:21 22-Granny
DR11      -0.01 dB   -15.15 dB      6:39 23-Two Step
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Number of tracks:  23
Official DR value: DR12

Samplerate:        48000 Hz
Channels:          2
Bits per sample:   24
Bitrate:           1638 kbps
Codec:             FLAC
================================================================================
mrpeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 03:22 PM   #32
MaLaKaS
Moore Soul
 
MaLaKaS's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Lost Somewhere In Jersey
Posts: 17,662
So we concluded that the black vinyl will sound better right? It was due to the manufacturers being more experienced with black vinyl, right?
MaLaKaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 10:39 AM   #33
dobyblue
 
dobyblue's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Gilead
Posts: 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpeters View Post
Some stats for nerds. Vinyl DR stats below. Here is the CD version for comparison. [Only registered users can see links.]

Code:
foobar2000 1.3.14 / Dynamic Range Meter 1.1.1
log date: 2017-11-26 10:57:20

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Analyzed: Dave Matthews and Tim Reynolds / Live at Luther College (Limited Edition RSD 2017 150g Vinyl)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DR         Peak         RMS     Duration Track
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
DR12      -1.67 dB   -16.69 dB      5:30 01-One Sweet World
DR11      -1.91 dB   -16.06 dB      5:55 02-#41
DR11      -0.25 dB   -14.30 dB      5:21 03-Tripping Billies
DR12      -0.18 dB   -15.80 dB      8:39 04-Jimi Thing
DR12      -1.30 dB   -16.56 dB      4:38 05-Satellite
DR11      -0.60 dB   -14.37 dB      5:30 06-Crash Into Me
DR12      -1.02 dB   -15.93 dB      4:49 07-Deed Is Done
DR13      -1.11 dB   -18.62 dB      5:32 08-Lover Lay Down
DR14      -0.45 dB   -16.89 dB      5:25 09-What Would You Say
DR11      -2.45 dB   -16.23 dB      6:57 10-Minarets
DR11      -2.54 dB   -16.68 dB      5:34 11-Cry Freedom
DR11      -1.67 dB   -16.46 dB      7:28 12-Dancing Nancies
DR12      -1.49 dB   -16.23 dB      6:59 13-Typical Situation
DR13      -0.15 dB   -16.26 dB      5:55 14-Stream
DR12      -0.63 dB   -16.12 dB      9:14 15-Warehouse
DR14      -2.72 dB   -18.47 dB      5:35 16-Christmas Song
DR12      -0.13 dB   -15.34 dB      7:41 17-Seek Up
DR11      -0.87 dB   -15.14 dB      5:18 18-Say Goodbye
DR11      -0.84 dB   -14.51 dB      5:27 19-Ants Marching
DR11      -0.73 dB   -16.86 dB      6:20 20-Little Thing
DR11      -2.18 dB   -15.01 dB      2:59 21-Halloween
DR11      -0.42 dB   -14.81 dB      3:21 22-Granny
DR11      -0.01 dB   -15.15 dB      6:39 23-Two Step
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Number of tracks:  23
Official DR value: DR12

Samplerate:        48000 Hz
Channels:          2
Bits per sample:   24
Bitrate:           1638 kbps
Codec:             FLAC
================================================================================
The TT meter is peculiar for vinyl, typically a very dynamic digital recording doesn't differ much (as your overall score shows) when cut to vinyl, yet digital files with more heavy handed compression do show a big difference even when the master is the same. Look at AFTW for example, it's the CD cut to vinyl yet the DR score comes out a whole 4dB higher.

To compare to the vinyl log posted, here are the first three tracks from Luther from the original cutting file (ie the digitally mastered files the vinyl was cut from)

DR12 -0.02 dB -13.81 dB 5:43 01-One Sweet World
DR11 -0.02 dB -13.13 dB 5:38 02-#41
DR10 -0.02 dB -11.69 dB 5:46 03-Tripping Billies
dobyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 10:55 AM   #34
mjf
 
mjf's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 3,940
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpeters View Post
They are doing a black run, but it won't be any cheaper unless you are buying it from someone who is selling it at a markup.
Okay thanks. I gotta bite the bullet on this one. I love this release way too much not to have it on vinyl.
mjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 11:15 AM   #35
Mitch
Moderator
 
Mitch's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Long Island
Posts: 11,982
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpeters View Post
Some stats for nerds.
Spoiler:
Vinyl DR stats below. Here is the CD version for comparison. [Only registered users can see links.]

Code:
foobar2000 1.3.14 / Dynamic Range Meter 1.1.1
log date: 2017-11-26 10:57:20

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Analyzed: Dave Matthews and Tim Reynolds / Live at Luther College (Limited Edition RSD 2017 150g Vinyl)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DR         Peak         RMS     Duration Track
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
DR12      -1.67 dB   -16.69 dB      5:30 01-One Sweet World
DR11      -1.91 dB   -16.06 dB      5:55 02-#41
DR11      -0.25 dB   -14.30 dB      5:21 03-Tripping Billies
DR12      -0.18 dB   -15.80 dB      8:39 04-Jimi Thing
DR12      -1.30 dB   -16.56 dB      4:38 05-Satellite
DR11      -0.60 dB   -14.37 dB      5:30 06-Crash Into Me
DR12      -1.02 dB   -15.93 dB      4:49 07-Deed Is Done
DR13      -1.11 dB   -18.62 dB      5:32 08-Lover Lay Down
DR14      -0.45 dB   -16.89 dB      5:25 09-What Would You Say
DR11      -2.45 dB   -16.23 dB      6:57 10-Minarets
DR11      -2.54 dB   -16.68 dB      5:34 11-Cry Freedom
DR11      -1.67 dB   -16.46 dB      7:28 12-Dancing Nancies
DR12      -1.49 dB   -16.23 dB      6:59 13-Typical Situation
DR13      -0.15 dB   -16.26 dB      5:55 14-Stream
DR12      -0.63 dB   -16.12 dB      9:14 15-Warehouse
DR14      -2.72 dB   -18.47 dB      5:35 16-Christmas Song
DR12      -0.13 dB   -15.34 dB      7:41 17-Seek Up
DR11      -0.87 dB   -15.14 dB      5:18 18-Say Goodbye
DR11      -0.84 dB   -14.51 dB      5:27 19-Ants Marching
DR11      -0.73 dB   -16.86 dB      6:20 20-Little Thing
DR11      -2.18 dB   -15.01 dB      2:59 21-Halloween
DR11      -0.42 dB   -14.81 dB      3:21 22-Granny
DR11      -0.01 dB   -15.15 dB      6:39 23-Two Step
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Number of tracks:  23
Official DR value: DR12

Samplerate:        48000 Hz
Channels:          2
Bits per sample:   24
Bitrate:           1638 kbps
Codec:             FLAC
================================================================================
So, for my simple mind, if the DR value of this is 12 and for the CD is 11, that essentially means there isn't much difference, correct?
Mitch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 11:44 AM   #36
dobyblue
 
dobyblue's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Gilead
Posts: 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
So, for my simple mind, if the DR value of this is 12 and for the CD is 11, that essentially means there isn't much difference, correct?
There is actually no difference. This release (similar to R2T and Recently EPs) was not remastered for vinyl.
dobyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 11:50 AM   #37
Mitch
Moderator
 
Mitch's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Long Island
Posts: 11,982
gotcha, thanks
Mitch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 05:06 PM   #38
mrpeters
Lock it away inside myself...
 
mrpeters's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Noblesville, IN
Posts: 8,622
Quote:
Originally Posted by dobyblue View Post
There is actually no difference. This release (similar to R2T and Recently EPs) was not remastered for vinyl.
Other than the inherrent differences that each unique turntable/cartridge and in some cases preamps, can introduce into the chain, but that will vary for everyone, and is one reason (among several) why someone might opt for a vinyl over the CD.

I don't think you can remaster something that was already so well mastered anyways, especially if the source truly was 16/48 DAT which would have been as good as it gets in 1996.

Thanks for your stats for comparison! Always appreciate the insight you give!
mrpeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 06:36 PM   #39
Majew10
 
Majew10's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2005
Location: NEPA
Posts: 2,562
so the one i got was #0002 and was a promo only copy and not for sale. Anything special about it?
__________________
Joe
35 shows and counting...


My Stats
Majew10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 09:52 PM   #40
willndmb
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: NY
Posts: 4,634
Grabbed one at my local store today
Didn't think they would have it this late in the game and don't listen to vinyl but collect shit I don't need lol
willndmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:10 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©2006 thesedayscontinue.org

Page generated in 0.08678 seconds with 16 queries