These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 08-03-2013, 01:13 AM   #21
BigVodka

I got mine after the Mayan thing blew over
Old 08-03-2013, 01:13 AM   #22
JustinC

It's not often these days you get a chance to make a joke of that stupid overblown y2k thing.
JustinC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 01:15 AM   #23
brian3641

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinC View Post
It's not often these days you get a chance to make a joke of that stupid overblown y2k thing.
I mean, I figured it was nothing, but I'd be lying if I didn't say I was kinda holding my breath at midnight.
At the Riverbend gathering Boyd said "Anyone got some fucking cookies?" A minute later someone hands him a box of Oreos. He proceeds to sign it and hands it back. Guy says, "I thought you wanted some cookies?" Boyd says, "Shit man! Cookies are fucking awesome!"
brian3641 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 07:18 AM   #24
wiebrod

Great thread! Thanks for doing this, it was great just to revisit this time. As has already been said by others, 1993 was such a great year of shows, especially November and December. So many great songs that really got you into the band. I remember getting my first tape of these guys in 1993 and being blown away, and I was only 13 years old.

Hasn't been mentioned yet because it wasn't part of RTT, but one of my favorite things was the way they played WWYS during this time.
wiebrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 07:44 AM   #25
sean52692
Ten steps ahead of you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan#41 View Post

Which one? 11/26 or 12/8? They're both amazing. 11/26 has been a personal favorite for a very long time. Hearing Boyd and Roi just go off during that crescendo while Dave is wailing...it's so fucking awesome and powerful.
RTT one
sean52692 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 11:04 AM   #26
Jayes
ISO Hello Again&Broken Things

My second dmb disc. Really helped me fall in love with these guys. And goddam were they keeping Carter (up to the challenge) fucking busy with those tempos back then! Even though they slowed them down they still arent played nearly that fast anymore.

I get it though. They were young, excited, energetic, an lets be real, they wanted to fit as much material into the sets as possible.
Jayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 08:24 PM   #27
Fan#41

Homers Beer Run Champion!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiebrod View Post
Great thread! Thanks for doing this, it was great just to revisit this time. As has already been said by others, 1993 was such a great year of shows, especially November and December. So many great songs that really got you into the band. I remember getting my first tape of these guys in 1993 and being blown away, and I was only 13 years old.

Hasn't been mentioned yet because it wasn't part of RTT, but one of my favorite things was the way they played WWYS during this time.
Wish I had gotten into them or even known of them back in '93. I didn't start trading tapes 'till around October of '95 but I still remember my first three shows I got in the mail; 1/26/95, 9/28/94, and 1/26/93 (2/2/93 ).

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean52692 View Post
RTT one

And the reprise after Christmas Song which is basically just the intro they were doing live. The way they used the intro as a reprise though...I never really thought much about it but it was a very smart move. Kept everything as short as they could as they didn't want to lose any potentially new fans if they were to get lost with an extended intro like Seek Up had.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayes View Post
My second dmb disc. Really helped me fall in love with these guys. And goddam were they keeping Carter (up to the challenge) fucking busy with those tempos back then! Even though they slowed them down they still arent played nearly that fast anymore.

I get it though. They were young, excited, energetic, an lets be real, they wanted to fit as much material into the sets as possible.
Same here. UTTAD was my first then I ordered R2T through the booklet catalog in the UTTAD CD booklet. I remember ordering the R2T album, the Firedancer t-shirt, the grey elephant t-shirt, and the firdancer and band name iron-on patches.
Fan#41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 08:25 PM   #28
Fan#41

And just reiterate Gweeps' point about Minarets...man is that one hell of a production job. I think it might be one of the best produced tracks the band has. At the very least in the top 10.
Old 08-03-2013, 11:38 PM   #29
Mitch

Great post and thread, Brandon

Like several of you guys, I got into the band in fall '94 with UTTAD, and then mail-ordered for R2T which really cemented my fandom. So much great music on this one. I actually haven't listened to it in a long time, but now I certainly will soon.

My favorites from '93:
4/2/93 Salem College
5/31/93 Zollman's Pavillion
8/19/93 Wetlands (LT20 is a top 5 release for me, maybe top 3)
12/7/93 Trax
12/8/93 Flood Zone

And I'd sign up for Brandon doing these write-ups for every year.
Mitch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 11:52 PM   #30
brian3641

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
Fuck every year. We should have a homepage like Ants where there are articles all the time, maybe have different people volunteer to write about their favorite year or show. Classy type shit like that.
At the Riverbend gathering Boyd said "Anyone got some fucking cookies?" A minute later someone hands him a box of Oreos. He proceeds to sign it and hands it back. Guy says, "I thought you wanted some cookies?" Boyd says, "Shit man! Cookies are fucking awesome!"
Old 08-03-2013, 11:57 PM   #31
Mitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian3641 View Post
Fuck every year. We should have a homepage like Ants where there are articles all the time, maybe have different people volunteer to write about their favorite year or show. Classy type shit like that.
Just to be clear, I didn't mean he should do one of the write-ups once a year. I meant he should also do one for 94, 95, 96, etc etc (b/c while this was focused on R2T, it was a nice summary of '93 in general also)
Mitch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 11:59 PM   #32
brian3641

Quote:
Just to be clear, I didn't mean he should do one of the write-ups once a year. I meant he should also do one for 94, 95, 96, etc etc
Aha, you made me put my foot in my mouth.

But seriously, articles would be cool.
Old 08-04-2013, 03:29 PM   #33
gweeps

Quote:
And just reiterate Gweeps' point about Minarets...man is that one hell of a production job. I think it might be one of the best produced tracks the band has. At the very least in the top 10.
The only problem is once the outro gets going it stops!
gweeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 04:11 PM   #34
Fan#41

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweeps View Post
The only problem is once the outro gets going it stops!
I think it runs along the same lines as the reason they kept the Seek Up intro as an album-ending reprise, just to keep things tight and to the point.
Old 08-04-2013, 08:49 PM   #35
Cardinal
I have a buzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigVodka View Post
love the rain and crickets
Old 08-04-2013, 10:06 PM   #36
mjf

This really was a smart first album, being mostly live. Back in '99 my neighbor gave me Luther College which got me hooked, then Red Rocks, and then this. As great as their first three studio albums are, I really dont think i would have gotten into the band nearly as fast as I did if it hadn't been for hearing the live stuff first. Point is, I think this release was an excellent first album for the band.
mjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 01:09 AM   #37
Fan#41

So your introduction to DMB was through D&T? Interesting.
Old 08-05-2013, 07:39 AM   #38
mjf

Quote:
So your introduction to DMB was through D&T? Interesting.
Yup. My first show was D&T as well in '03. Once I saw the band for the first time at 9.11.03, I got really into them.. but always have preferred D&T stuff. The announcement that Tim was joining the '08 tour was probably one of the most exciting times for me as a fan.

I think it has alot to do with the era. I got Luther College in the summer '99 after I heard the 2nd disc at my neighbors house along with RR. I remember being excited for the new DMB album my neighbor was talking about, and then boom- I downloaded I Did It on napster and pretty much lost all interest in the band except for the live records I had Seeing D&T live changed everything though, I got BTCS shortly after, decided I had to see the band live... and the rest is history after they opened my first show with Seek Up (a favorite of mine on Luther).
mjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 08:38 AM   #39
drummerkrf

Home Run Champion!Tournaments Won: 1

Awesome stuff Brandon.

Quote:
Great post and thread, Brandon

Like several of you guys, I got into the band in fall '94 with UTTAD, and then mail-ordered for R2T which really cemented my fandom. So much great music on this one. I actually haven't listened to it in a long time, but now I certainly will soon.

My favorites from '93:
4/2/93 Salem College
5/31/93 Zollman's Pavillion
8/19/93 Wetlands (LT20 is a top 5 release for me, maybe top 3)
12/7/93 Trax
12/8/93 Flood Zone

In my efforts to expand my knowledge of the band, I started listening to every available show from ’92 through the pioneering ’93 year. Unlike many of you guys, who have been with this band since the early going; I am a fan that arrived late to the party, so I wanted to experience the early stages of this thing the way so many others have. Be it my love for the band and its music, or my deep appreciation for the history of just about anything… I have found this challenge to be quite rewarding. To witness the transformation of a bar-gig band into what we’ve all come to know and love, is worth it. I will most likely never follow through with this by listening to EVERY show in chronological order over the past 20 years (Thememan you are a crazier motherfucker than I…), but I highly recommend giving this a go.

1993, as Brandon mentions, helps define the band more than anything else out there; moreso than a record, or a more recent setlist, or even a Rolling Stone article trying to explain the impact of this band to people that aren’t as understanding about what it is that garners such a cult following.

March of ‘93 is where I really began to notice a shift in the band’s mentality from “Hey we could really have some fun with this” to “Hey we really might have something truly special.” And it happened astonishingly fast. This is most analogous with these performances:

The Dueling Banjos/2001: Space Odyssey Ants performance from 03/01/1993, where they were throwing pieces together because… well… I guess just because they could. And it was awesome. And this is something that they still maintain success in.

The band was growing. They wanted to hone in on a defined sound. They had already begun tweeking existing material. The R&R from 03/16 features a completely different rhythm from Carter, one that, when familiar with its final state as well as earlier recordings , definitely stands out. That same show features a 20:00+ Jimi Thing > Typical Situation, an amazing Angel From Montgomery, and a BWBF closer that is a gem.

That same month also saw a shift in personnel. Peter’s last show was on 03/23. This was also the last time #34 had been played until 2005.

Other notable performances (not listed in Mitch's post):

Spoiler:

12/01/93: Emotional Say Goodbye

11/09/93: Charlottesville RTT Release Party. Last time played- Heithcliff’s Haiku Warriors. VERY fast show.

11/02/93: mixed show: Dave solo & full band. Carter’s ‘22nd’ birthday. Awesome Jimi > TypSitch

09/08/93: Billies – AWESOME Nature Intro

09/03/93: Doobie Thing. TypSitch – Mary had a little lamb interp

07/07/93: (no Stefan again) Tri-Poetics guesting.

07/06/93: (no Stefan at this show) Recently – pretty pretty girl interp.
Warehouse is solid. Drum solo> Halloween.

06/24/93: Recently – half time jam.

05/19/93: Dave Solo first few songs. Redemption Song. Recently – Dave’s part in jam is different

02/25/93: The infamous “you wanna fuck me in the ass?” Frat boy Dave blow up

02/17/93: Debut #34 w/words

02/09/93: SMTS- good Peter harmonica intro. Rhyme and Reason – early alternate lyrics. good Recently. Cool little jam going into TypSitch

02/06/93: Granny-starts on 2nd verse, Roi heavy LIOG
drummerkrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 09:44 AM   #40
wiebrod

So far this thread is one of the best threads that has happened in awhile, not bashing other threads, I just think this is an outstanding one that is informational and entertaining at the same time. To me this year was such a big part of my youth and the year I got hooked on the band. It was so fun to see what was going on and not even realizing how big things might get.
wiebrod is offline   Reply With Quote

These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc