These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 08-02-2013, 11:21 PM   #1
Fan#41

Homers Beer Run Champion!
20 Years Ago: A Remember Two Things (1993) Appreciation Thread.

In August 1993 DMB slowed some of their performances down to make sure they captured good clean live recordings, in conjuncture with some studio cuts they also laid down around the same time, to be used as part of their first official release later that year. No major label funding any recording sessions, promoting live performances, or travel expenditures. Everything coming out of the pocket of anyone involved or close to the band. Ants Marching and Tripping Billies were taken from the 8/17/93 Nantucket Island show. The venue still exists but hosts less musical acts these days as it's now more of a night club and restaurant. And of course the Recently and Song That Jane Likes performances were lifted from the 8/10/93 Floodzone show.

The actual 20 year anniversary for the Remember Two Things release isn't until September, but I figured the thread could be made now since this was the month the band made a conscious effort to slow down Billies, Ants and a few other tunes to be a part of their first release. Of course, the slower tempo performances would only last a few shows as the band right back to their fire-filled performances. One of my favorite from the year comes from November where the band played a killer version of Recently with Warren Haynes on acoustic.

Recently (w/ Warren Haynes) - 11/27/93

Towards the end of the year during one of the great shows from '93 (12/8/93) right before Dave performs I'll Back You Up with Tim on electric, he mentions how he and Tim recorded the R2T cut in the bathroom at Trax. The performance that followed was unique in the fact that it was just Dave with Tim on electric.

I'll Back You Up (w/ Tim Reynolds) - 12/8/93

I hadn't listened to Remember Two Things all the way through in a very long time. I almost forgot how fluid the whole thing was from the live cuts to the studio performances, the rain, crickets...Seek Up, the snare intro to Ants, the lush sound captured from Dave's guitar during STJL and Minarets.

For years I've been trying to find the article/interview of Dave from around that time where he mentions the band recording songs for their first album and one of the songs he mentions was Blue Water which obviously never made the cut but it was the only proof I ever saw of the band actually having a studio recording of Blue Water which I would kill to get my hands on, especially with how Boyd was playing back then versus now.

Blue Water (w/ Doug Wannamaker) - 3/17/93

It's kind of wild to think that it's been two full decades since they put together their first record. And while we can shit on most of Grieser's contributions, the fact remains he was a part of their family and after his departure they never slowed down or felt rendered in any sort of way. And within a little over 4 months after he left they began to focus on those live performances that would make the cut for their first album after performing a couple hundred shows, in bars, clubs, small halls, rooms, cafeterias, pubs and random outdoor field shows. It all finally came together while on the verge of signing a major label deal, they pieced together a collection of songs, studio and live, that would define where they were going and where they came from. One of the few great things Peter did with this band was People People. I still enjoy this tune.

People People - 1/26/93

Seek Up - 11/26/93

Of course, the story and performances of 1993 don't begin and end with Remember Two Things. Peter's departure in March, song debuts, guests, injured band members, first-time performances at the Horde Fest and Red Rocks, Boyd's inspired and energetic performances, great intros and outros from Roi, the band traveling up and down the east coast even traveling sparingly out in the mid-west with no albums or radio play under their belt. As was said, R2T doesn't begin and end 1993 but their first album HAD to come from this year with how fierce they were playing and with so much hunger and drive.

Some people don't like the older performances because of Dave's still immature vocals and delivery but some of the performances that year can't be denied no matter what your vocal preference is. Here are some more favorites from this year:

Jimi Thing (w/ Tim Reynolds & Ernesto Labois) - 3/10/93

Seek Up (w/ Tim Reynolds) - 12/8/93
Fan#41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 11:23 PM   #2
brian3641

That Recently (w/Warren) is my all time favorite!
At the Riverbend gathering Boyd said "Anyone got some fucking cookies?" A minute later someone hands him a box of Oreos. He proceeds to sign it and hands it back. Guy says, "I thought you wanted some cookies?" Boyd says, "Shit man! Cookies are fucking awesome!"
brian3641 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 11:35 PM   #3
BigVodka

awesome
Old 08-02-2013, 11:37 PM   #4
mjf

Awesome thread, thanks for putting that time into it. Gonna dust off 12/8 tomorrow
mjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 11:48 PM   #5
dmbphan41
As heavy as stone...

this is great
Old 08-02-2013, 11:52 PM   #6
brian3641

Someone should send this to Jake so he can learn how you really write an article.
At the Riverbend gathering Boyd said "Anyone got some fucking cookies?" A minute later someone hands him a box of Oreos. He proceeds to sign it and hands it back. Guy says, "I thought you wanted some cookies?" Boyd says, "Shit man! Cookies are fucking awesome!"
Old 08-03-2013, 12:00 AM   #7
BigVodka

who?
Old 08-03-2013, 12:11 AM   #8
gweeps

Just beginning to listen to this album again. It's been a while.

This Ants has all the space and more the current versions have been lacking for literally years. The performance breathes.

Great to hear Roi. (And Boyd. )

This album defines their core sound. It even hints at later progression. Minarets, for example, reminds me of some of the BTCS experimentation.

Thanks for bringing the album to mind.
gweeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 12:17 AM   #9
sean52692
Ten steps ahead of you

I love 1993, admittedly it's one of my favorite tours. December had a great month of shows especially. That 12/08 Minarets with Tim is stellar.

R2T gets overlooked a lot these days, and I guess it's easy to overlook. Definitely will be giving it multiple spins in August.
sean52692 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 12:17 AM   #10
brian3641

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigVodka View Post
who?
Old 08-03-2013, 12:18 AM   #11
sean52692
Ten steps ahead of you

This Seek Up is really eerily awesome.
sean52692 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 12:39 AM   #12
Fan#41

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian3641 View Post
That Recently (w/Warren) is my all time favorite!
It just has so much "umph" to it. I've always loved it. Also too that Warren was using an acoustic during a full band guest appearance, which I think he only did one more time the following year in June of '94.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjf View Post
Gonna dust off 12/8 tomorrow
Did the same thing last night. I haven't been on a '93 kick in quite some time and that's such a quality show to start off with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweeps View Post
This Ants has all the space and more the current versions have been lacking for literally years. The performance breathes.

Great to hear Roi. (And Boyd. )

This album defines their core sound. It even hints at later progression. Minarets, for example, reminds me of some of the BTCS experimentation.
Ants has really bored me over the last 7 or 8 years. They try so hard to make the end jam bigger than it is with all the horn count-offs during Boyd's solo. It's just too much and really hurts the song, imho.

Completely agree about the hints of experimentation and core sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean52692 View Post
I love 1993, admittedly it's one of my favorite tours. December had a great month of shows especially. That 12/08 Minarets with Tim is stellar.

R2T gets overlooked a lot these days, and I guess it's easy to overlook. Definitely will be giving it multiple spins in August.
Yeah, November and December had some killer shows, some I would say defined the early era for the band like 12/7 and 12/8/93.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean52692 View Post
This Seek Up is really eerily awesome.
Which one? 11/26 or 12/8? They're both amazing. 11/26 has been a personal favorite for a very long time. Hearing Boyd and Roi just go off during that crescendo while Dave is wailing...it's so fucking awesome and powerful.
Old 08-03-2013, 12:45 AM   #13
BigVodka

Cubby Bear show from fall of 93 was one of my first tapes, definitely listened to it a ton. I remember getting some of those Blue Waters on tape and being pretty blown away, some how took it to another level.
Old 08-03-2013, 12:48 AM   #14
BigVodka

love the rain and crickets
Old 08-03-2013, 12:50 AM   #15
Fan#41

Quote:
Cubby Bear show from fall of 93 was one of my first tapes, definitely listened to it a ton. I remember getting some of those Blue Waters on tape and being pretty blown away, some how took it to another level.
When I first started listening to live shows and trading tapes, Blue Water quickly became my favorite song, it's still up there for me. In my top 5 anyway.
Old 08-03-2013, 12:50 AM   #16
brian3641

I remember when I first got UTTAD in fall of 94 As soon as I heard the little drum intro on BOWA I knew this was gonna be "my band". I loved the album so much that within a few days I ordered RTT and an RTT T-shirt. Hearing the live songs and new (to me) songs like Seek Up, Minarets and especially Recently just solidified it.
Old 08-03-2013, 12:52 AM   #17
brian3641

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan#41 View Post
When I first started listening to live shows and trading tapes, Blue Water quickly became my favorite song, it's still up there for me. In my top 5 anyway.
I got my first computer in 2001. The first thing I did with it was find a copy of Blue Water. The one I found was 3-17-93. And the second thing I did was find the LWS.
Old 08-03-2013, 12:55 AM   #18
gweeps

Quote:
love the rain and crickets
Peaceful.
gweeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 01:09 AM   #19
JustinC

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian3641 View Post
I got my first computer in 2001.
Did you hold off on getting one just to be on the safe side of the potential Y2K bug?
JustinC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 01:12 AM   #20
brian3641

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinC View Post
Did you hold off on getting one just to be on the safe side of the potential Y2K bug?
I wish that was it, but I just couldn't afford one til then.

These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc