These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 11-18-2017, 08:14 PM   #181
willndmb

I took my father to this SPAC show, his first DMB show. After Warehouse he says wow this show has been worth the cost of admission already
willndmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 11:17 PM   #182
MaLaKaS
Moore Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by willndmb View Post
I took my father to this SPAC show, his first DMB show. After Warehouse he says wow this show has been worth the cost of admission already

that's awesome! Yea, in a way, I feel like this show started the whole SPAC craze. I could be wrong, but this show put SPAC into the top tier DMB venue status.
MaLaKaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 01:30 AM   #183
Tomacco

Another thing I want to point out - the recording of this show is incredible. There are a few 2002 recordings that sound weirdly amazing (Naylor's 12/16/02 is another). Almost SBD quality.

What's the consensus on best SPAC shows these days? Night 2 2008, Night 2 2013 and night 2 2015 come to mind for me, personally.
The 2016 run looks great too. I mean it starts with Pig / Last Stop / #41 and ends with Two Step / Halloween. That's insane.
A lot of people love the 2009 ones, but I think they're a bit overrated.
Personally, I attended night 2 in 2004, which was kind of mediocre (especially since it was almost verbatim the setlist I saw in Toronto 3 days earlier). And I went to SPAC in 2014 which was very good, but not epic by any means (the Squirm/Shake Me encore night 2 certainly tampered the weekend overall).
So, my experiences haven't been the best really there.
At least the one time I went to Alpine was 2007 and (especially that year) were as good as you could ever hope for.

Last edited by Tomacco; 11-19-2017 at 01:51 AM.
Tomacco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 08:22 AM   #184
Mersh

7.26.98 has always been a favorite of mine.
Mersh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 12:13 PM   #185
sean52692
Ten steps ahead of you

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaLaKaS View Post
15. So Right - Roi takes his solo with a different brass instrument. Was it the baritone sax instead of the soprano sax? This is the first time that I have noticed this change. Always a great live song to listen to.
Listened today and I get what you're saying because he took a different approach on his first solo. I'm pretty sure he's playing the tenor sax which is what he typically plays on So Right.
sean52692 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 12:17 PM   #186
MaLaKaS
Moore Soul

7.2.04 is another favorite of mine as well.
Old 11-20-2017, 10:50 AM   #187
Fan#41

Homers Beer Run Champion!
With Mersh on 7/26/98. Also 6/6/97 is a good listen.
Fan#41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 11:30 AM   #188
celluloid hero

Killer Last Stop on 7/26/98. I remember that version and the Orlando one from 8/27 being the ones that locked in that song for me.
celluloid hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 02:32 PM   #189
MaLaKaS
Moore Soul

I haven't listened to 7.26.98 in a long time.
Old 11-20-2017, 04:52 PM   #190
Mersh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan#41 View Post
With Mersh on 7/26/98. Also 6/6/97 is a good listen.
Unique encore on that 97 show too.
Mersh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 09:07 PM   #191
MaLaKaS
Moore Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mersh View Post
Unique encore on that 97 show too.

Yea that looks like a really fun show as well. I'll have to listen to that one day.
Old 11-21-2017, 09:37 AM   #192
batleon

Too many good SPAC shows to pick from. And we already have two releases from that venue. It will take them forever to release all the good ones...
batleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 02:36 PM   #193
MaLaKaS
Moore Soul

Did everyone get a chance to finish listening to this show? If not, we can keep it going some more. If so, when should we move onto the next pick? Who is interested in the next choice?
Old 11-24-2017, 01:04 PM   #194
3-D

Here's my review! I haven't listened to a whole lot of DMB so this was really nice. I loved 2002 - I saw more shows that tour than any other and I think it's so underrated due to Everyday songs still being in heavy rotation. This recording is fantastic and the whole show really made me miss this version of the band; not just the members but their whole philosophy and approach to playing.

1. Pig

2002 was a great year for this song - the band finally caved to years of demands and ďplayed the PigĒ.. and they knocked it out of the park here, great opener always. Great great version.

2. Warehouse

Warehouse being my favorite song, this is an amazing one-two punch to start the show. Iíve always preferred the stop-time intro, wooís or not. I feel like the band could use some Wooís now because neither they nor their audience is half as engaged as they were back then. Miss this line-up. And this version is so fucking good. Roi used to just go nuts all over it! Wow.

3. Grey Street

Third verse! The payoff! Why would they remove the payoff? The song really was so powerful back then because everything built to something spectacular. Taking out the third verse is really one of the more bizarre decisions that the band has made really; letís take a signature, amazing song and just cut itís balls right off.

4. Proudest Monkey 

Shortly after it returned from a long absence if I recall. Perfectly placed, set-wise after a high energy start to the show. Chill singalong. Builds up beautifully, Daveís voice is on point and captivating. The dynamic range of this band has gotten so much more narrow over the years. Leroiís solo is beautiful. They really may as well not even have a sax anymore. A+

5. Satellite

Always appreciate Satellite around this time in the show, as itís the perfect length to get a beer or hit the bathroom if you have to and race back for the next song. That being said, very nice version!

6. Donít Drink the Water

I miss the slower versions of this song; the intensity built throughout the song, making it so much more powerful. Butch adds a lot of nice subtle effects and I forgot how great Roi was on it.

7. One Sweet World

The Intro was one of my favorite things they did. Beautiful piece of music.

8. If I Had It All

I like this song more than most and considering itís become a rarity, it was nice to hear here but probably not at the time. Nice version, I always liked the bridge a lot.

9. Kit Kat Jam

Great tune but this is one of the more understandable rarities in their catalogue.

Stellar version. This was such a good era for the song. Butch killing it with the Sojourn tease.

11. I Did It

This sounds better than I remember most performances I can recall though Dave stumbles through the bridge a bit. Iíve always thought this song was hilarious and enjoyed it. Huge pop for Boydís vocals and the crowd seemed super into it in general.

12. Raven

Solid performance and nice solos from Boyd and Roi.

13. Loving Wings

Early version - Dave seemed slow on the vocals and a little off compared to others

14. Where Are You Going

15. So Right

Iíve always enjoyed Everyday more than most and this song was always my favorite; that being said, I was always a little let down by the live versions of this era. I think they try to play it too fast and Dave canít keep up. Boyd sounds a bit messy throughout but the end jam is nice and Roi is fantastic as always.

16. Ants Marching

Directly into Ants, perfect closer for the evening. Almost thought I heard Dave teasing Two Step on the guitar during the intro. Great version - everyoneís spot on.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

17. Dancing Nancies

Dave solo - did not see this coming; amazing moment after a long, strange absence and many teases.

Crowd not having the Everyday tease.

19. Two Step

Insane how much people wanted this. Understandable though - song was at its peak and still pretty special.
3-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 03:19 PM   #195
DIDO36

Quote:
Did everyone get a chance to finish listening to this show? If not, we can keep it going some more. If so, when should we move onto the next pick? Who is interested in the next choice?
I'm interested

Maybe 12/7/98
DIDO36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 07:35 PM   #196
MaLaKaS
Moore Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3-D View Post
Here's my review! I haven't listened to a whole lot of DMB so this was really nice. I loved 2002 - I saw more shows that tour than any other and I think it's so underrated due to Everyday songs still being in heavy rotation. This recording is fantastic and the whole show really made me miss this version of the band; not just the members but their whole philosophy and approach to playing.

1. Pig

2002 was a great year for this song - the band finally caved to years of demands and ďplayed the PigĒ.. and they knocked it out of the park here, great opener always. Great great version.

2. Warehouse

Warehouse being my favorite song, this is an amazing one-two punch to start the show. Iíve always preferred the stop-time intro, wooís or not. I feel like the band could use some Wooís now because neither they nor their audience is half as engaged as they were back then. Miss this line-up. And this version is so fucking good. Roi used to just go nuts all over it! Wow.

3. Grey Street

Third verse! The payoff! Why would they remove the payoff? The song really was so powerful back then because everything built to something spectacular. Taking out the third verse is really one of the more bizarre decisions that the band has made really; letís take a signature, amazing song and just cut itís balls right off.

4. Proudest Monkey 

Shortly after it returned from a long absence if I recall. Perfectly placed, set-wise after a high energy start to the show. Chill singalong. Builds up beautifully, Daveís voice is on point and captivating. The dynamic range of this band has gotten so much more narrow over the years. Leroiís solo is beautiful. They really may as well not even have a sax anymore. A+

5. Satellite

Always appreciate Satellite around this time in the show, as itís the perfect length to get a beer or hit the bathroom if you have to and race back for the next song. That being said, very nice version!

6. Donít Drink the Water

I miss the slower versions of this song; the intensity built throughout the song, making it so much more powerful. Butch adds a lot of nice subtle effects and I forgot how great Roi was on it.

7. One Sweet World

The Intro was one of my favorite things they did. Beautiful piece of music.

8. If I Had It All

I like this song more than most and considering itís become a rarity, it was nice to hear here but probably not at the time. Nice version, I always liked the bridge a lot.

9. Kit Kat Jam

Great tune but this is one of the more understandable rarities in their catalogue.

Stellar version. This was such a good era for the song. Butch killing it with the Sojourn tease.

11. I Did It

This sounds better than I remember most performances I can recall though Dave stumbles through the bridge a bit. Iíve always thought this song was hilarious and enjoyed it. Huge pop for Boydís vocals and the crowd seemed super into it in general.

12. Raven

Solid performance and nice solos from Boyd and Roi.

13. Loving Wings

Early version - Dave seemed slow on the vocals and a little off compared to others

14. Where Are You Going

15. So Right

Iíve always enjoyed Everyday more than most and this song was always my favorite; that being said, I was always a little let down by the live versions of this era. I think they try to play it too fast and Dave canít keep up. Boyd sounds a bit messy throughout but the end jam is nice and Roi is fantastic as always.

16. Ants Marching

Directly into Ants, perfect closer for the evening. Almost thought I heard Dave teasing Two Step on the guitar during the intro. Great version - everyoneís spot on.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

17. Dancing Nancies

Dave solo - did not see this coming; amazing moment after a long, strange absence and many teases.

Crowd not having the Everyday tease.

19. Two Step

Insane how much people wanted this. Understandable though - song was at its peak and still pretty special.
Great review! I'm really glad that you enjoyed this show .

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIDO36 View Post
I'm interested

Maybe 12/7/98
Thank you for your interest. I'll give you until Monday to come up with a choice and then we'll start the next round. How does that sound?
Old 11-25-2017, 01:37 AM   #197
DIDO36

Quote:
Great review! I'm really glad that you enjoyed this show .

Thank you for your interest. I'll give you until Monday to come up with a choice and then we'll start the next round. How does that sound?
Im going to go with 12/7/98
DIDO36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 12:26 PM   #198
MaLaKaS
Moore Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIDO36 View Post
Im going to go with 12/7/98

awesome choice! Should we wait until Monday or start this next round today?
Old 11-26-2017, 04:38 AM   #199
Tambourine Man
now in Capshaw Blue

I regularly put on 12/7/98 when I want to listen to DMB. Canít say enough good things about this show
Tambourine Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 03:05 PM   #200
batleon

Sad to say I haven't listened to 12/7/98 in a while. Now that we have a handful of good releases from Fall '98 I tend to gravitate towards just listening to them. I'll probably hop on board the listening train for this pick
batleon is offline   Reply With Quote

These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc