These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > Musicians Forum
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 05-06-2010, 03:31 PM   #1
BeaufordBuddy

Carter Beauford's drum kit update

About a week ago I was approached by the band's photographer, Taylor Crothers, to help work on a forthcoming DMB project. Of course I was delighted with the offer and accepted without hesitation. Henry Luniewski, Carter's drum tech, actually sent him my way which was doubly exciting. But the real excitement came when I open my inbox to find a message from Henry himself. I actually received my first email from Henry a few years ago before my second deployment. He basically wished me well and expressed his appreciation for my service. He also mentioned that he refers many people, including others in the crew, to my site. Of course I was delighted, thrilled, and extremely happy to hear all of this. I sent him a reply but never heard anything back. Still, I was grateful to have received a message from him. After hearing from Taylor last week Henry gets back in touch with me. He heard again that I was on yet another deployment. So I take this very fortunate opportunity to seek his help in updating Carter's kit diagram and equipment list. It was something that had to be done for this project I was working on. He provided some really good information, much of it having to do with upcoming changes to Carter's kit. It was great to hear from him but I never expected him to tell me all that he did.

First I just need to say that it seems Henry is the one responsible for most of the changes to Carter's kit over the years. From what he said Carter isn't always aware of upcoming changes with his kit. So Henry is the one wanting to experiment with different sounds and stuff. However, I'm certain that Carter holds the final approval on what he does and doesn't play.

So before I make the official changes to the kit diagram/equipment list and publish it online I'll share with you what's in store for Carter's percussive playground and some other details that Henry divulged:

I'll deliver the biggest news up front. In the very near future Carter will be exchanging his beloved Recording Custom drums for a new "custom" set. He didn't say what kind specifically even after I asked him but I'm sure they will likely be Yamaha's new high-end line of Phoenix drums. This goes along with some info I got from Ronn as well. Carter has been playing those same first four RC toms for the past 15 years. That's quite a long time to be playing the same drums. Remember his bass and floor tom changed several years ago. The big thing I wondered was if the tom sizes will stay the same. This wasn't answered by Henry. Another lingering question is what finish he'll go with. The finish options available for the Phoenix line are, depending on the outer ply, matte natural, matte black, polar white, cherry sunburst, garnet fade, sapphire fade, turquoise fade, textured amber sunburst, and textured black sunburst. Whatever he or Henry chooses, nothing will match his current glossy lacquer black finish on his RC kit. The matte black is about the closest thing. I like the shiny look and matte does not equal shiny.

Carter will also be getting a new rack system soon as well. Purportedly this is because the Hex Rack system has been discontinued by Yamaha. What rack he'll go with wasn't mentioned.

Some good news, Henry said he might work another piggyback or two into the mix. Could the splash stack possibly return?

Carter doesn't use a Yamaha throne anymore but a Clark Synthesis Thunder Throne with two Clark Synthesis Platinum transducers mounted underneath.

Some details in the drumhead department. Carter plays a special snare batter head. It's a CS (controlled sound "dot") Coated Emperor head from Remo.

He didn't say why he put a different bottom head on the 8" tom but he mentioned it was a Smooth White resonant head.

Carter will be getting all new batter heads for his toms soon. They will be the new Ambassador X heads which are like Coated Ambassadors only with a thicker single-ply head. Henry likes the single-ply heads because they allow for more precise tuning.

Henry gave some good information about Carter's cymbals. For hi-hats Carter has been playing 14" K Mastersounds but Henry is going to switch to 13" New Beats. Carter's right crash is a 17" K Dark Medium Thin. He has a 10Ē Zildjian K Custom Dark Splash stacked atop his 14" K Dark Thin Crash. That previous unknown 16" crash in his setup is an A Armand crash. His 14" K Mini China doesn't have any rivets. Henry has done away with the china stack for good now because all Carter plays is the 18" Oriental Classic China. I know, shocking. Such a longstanding piece on his kit has been reduced to a single china. Continuing on his left ride is a 20" A Custom Flat Top Ride with 6" A Custom Splash stacked upside down atop it. That EFX crash on his extreme left is no longer there. It's been replaced with a 22" K Custom Dark Ride. Henry confirmed the Zildjian skillet prototype he used recently on tour. It has been taken out of his setup now. That tom to Carter's left was a 13" and not 14". And speaking of that tom, it's going to get moved to Carter's right where his timbale is and his timbale will go where the tom now is only a little higher. Henry joked about how that's going to piss off the cameraman because he likes that window to shoot Carter through.

Henry also talked about some of Carter's electronics, like his triggers, sampler and some other stuff.

Now for the REAL good news. I spoke with Henry about how Iíll be returning home from this deployment in time to catch the DMB show in Atlanta, two days before my 30th birthday. I also told him that it would be my girlfriendís first ever DMB concert. He replied back stating that he looked forward to meeting me because he would be leaving me backstage passes at will call so I could meet him. Of course after hearing this I had to catch my breath. I couldnít believe what I was reading. Hopefully I'll get to meet Carter as well. This is un-freaking-believable. I have dreamed about meeting Carter for so damn long. I think that Iíve anticipated it so much that Iím going to be completely speechless when I meet him. I can't believe that it is actually going to happen. So needless to say I have lots to look forward to this Summer.

Here shortly Iíll be making a much-needed update to the kit page to reflect some of the things I mentioned here. I wonít make certain changes until they actually happen (i.e. new drum kit).

Needless to say there are plenty of things to pay attention to this Summer with Carterís kit.
BeaufordBuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 05:10 PM   #2
1t. Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeaufordBuddy View Post

Now for the REAL good news. I spoke with Henry about how Iíll be returning home from this deployment in time to catch the DMB show in Atlanta, two days before my 30th birthday. I also told him that it would be my girlfriendís first ever DMB concert. He replied back stating that he looked forward to meeting me because he would be leaving me backstage passes at will call so I could meet him. Of course after hearing this I had to catch my breath. I couldnít believe what I was reading. Hopefully I'll get to meet Carter as well. This is un-freaking-believable. I have dreamed about meeting Carter for so damn long. I think that Iíve anticipated it so much that Iím going to be completely speechless when I meet him. I can't believe that it is actually going to happen. So needless to say I have lots to look forward to this Summer.

Here shortly Iíll be making a much-needed update to the kit page to reflect some of the things I mentioned here. I wonít make certain changes until they actually happen (i.e. new drum kit).

Needless to say there are plenty of things to pay attention to this Summer with Carterís kit.
That's fucking awesome. Good for you
1t. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 02:20 AM   #3
BeaufordBuddy

Thanks man.

The site has been updated to reflect the information Henry gave me.

[Only registered users can see links.]
Old 05-12-2010, 06:56 AM   #4
carter
bouncy

great stuff and thanks for sharing
carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 11:30 PM   #5
dmbfan41

How much would it cost to assemble this?
Old 06-05-2010, 10:33 PM   #6
josh

Great stuff man, grats on getting BSP.

I've been in talks with Ian Kuhn (dmb's monitor engineer) for a while, it's great to get some "insider" info on some new and upcoming stuff. They have a great crew and quite an amazing setup for their tour (both backline and full production gear)
josh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 12:29 PM   #7
bongodongo

Just an update.

His secondary ride (Cymbal 19 on your chart) is no longer a Flat Top.
I am not sure what it is, and in the last 3 nights I haven't noticed him play it.
If I had to guess I would say it is a 22" K of some sort. It's definitly a hammered cymbal.

I'll post some pics this week. Going to the show tonight, so weds, thurs night I should have some time.

Edit:
Looking closer at your chart and my pics, it looks like the 19/20 combo has been taken out all together. Now it's just 18 and 21.
bongodongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 03:51 PM   #8
Aparker507

I'm wondering what has replaced the flat ride. I saw the cymbal that looks to be a K there too. Looks like it has a bell, and still has the 6" splash stacked on it.
2003: Little Rock. 2005: Dallas. 2006: Dallas. 2007: Dallas. 2008: Dallas, Memphis. 2009: Dallas, Nashville, Little Rock. 2010: Dallas, Atlanta. 2012: Dallas. 2013: Southaven. 2014: Dallas. 2015: Rogers, WPBx2. 2016: Little Rock
Aparker507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 03:57 PM   #9
Aparker507

From a picture I just saw on Stefan's Facebook, it looks like the 22" K Dark Ride got put where the flat ride was, and the flat ride is where the 22" K Dark Ride was. Could be wrong though.
2003: Little Rock. 2005: Dallas. 2006: Dallas. 2007: Dallas. 2008: Dallas, Memphis. 2009: Dallas, Nashville, Little Rock. 2010: Dallas, Atlanta. 2012: Dallas. 2013: Southaven. 2014: Dallas. 2015: Rogers, WPBx2. 2016: Little Rock
Old 06-09-2010, 12:45 PM   #10
BeaufordBuddy

I'm just waiting for the debut of his new kit.
Old 06-14-2010, 12:59 PM   #11
Klooner

Love this shit, and congrats BB on your imminent meeting with God. Can only hope I get the same fate somewhere down the road.

And I don't know if it's because they played at Bonnaroo or what, but Carter did not have the stickers on his kick head last night. Eager/nervous to see the new toys.

Also: thrilled the stacked splashes are back. One lingering question I have is: Why would Henry be more gung-ho about making changes to Carter's kit than Carter himself? For as talented as he is at his craft, I'd figure Carter would be anxious to experiment with new things/setups.
Klooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 04:18 PM   #12
Aparker507

Splash under Zil Bel now. We have all 5 splashes back! 22" K Dark Ride has taken the place of the 20" A Custom Flat Ride. The flat ride is where the back crash is now, with the 6" A Custom Splash stacked on top. That's the new changes I noticed last night.
Old 06-25-2010, 03:59 PM   #13
Yeedog
Heidi-ho Neighboreno

Got a couple of good Carter shots at DTE. No idea if there are anything new.

Homer: All normal people love meat. If I went to a barbeque and there was no meat, I would say 'Yo Goober! Where's the meat!?'. I'm trying to impress people here Lisa. You don't win friends with salad.
Yeedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 10:24 PM   #14
BeaufordBuddy

Excellent Yee, thanks man. Do you happen to have those in a higher resolution?
Old 06-25-2010, 11:34 PM   #15
Yeedog
Heidi-ho Neighboreno

Here are 3648 x 2736 versions. You may have to click on the image to see the high res version.

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Homer: All normal people love meat. If I went to a barbeque and there was no meat, I would say 'Yo Goober! Where's the meat!?'. I'm trying to impress people here Lisa. You don't win friends with salad.
Yeedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 04:26 AM   #16
BeaufordBuddy

Met Henry Luniewski, went backstage, and sat behind Carter's kit:

Old 03-28-2011, 07:54 PM   #17
bongodongo

Carter Signs with Vic Firth. Wonder if this had to do with the Vic Firth / Zildjian merger last year.

bongodongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 08:46 PM   #18
TwoStepN34

I was wondering why we was using Vic Firth at The Gorge last year.
Old 03-28-2011, 09:23 PM   #19
BeaufordBuddy

And the sticks are 5B which are thicker than his Pro-Mark sticks. I wonder if he switched because they were breaking too often?

I thought it was funny when he said that the sticks don't require him to work as hard. He said the same thing about Remo heads when he switched to them.
Old 04-25-2011, 12:48 PM   #20
willndmb

nice read/pics
congrates
willndmb is offline   Reply With Quote

These Days Continue > The Continuation > Musicians Forum