These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > nDMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 07-11-2011, 04:00 PM   #101
FiddySpence
TDCya

craig is working on a solo record right now in Austin, and The Hold Steady start writing for record #6 in September.

he has a tumblr updating his solo project, and he's on twitter now at steadycraig

[Only registered users can see links.]
FiddySpence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 04:02 PM   #102
mja271

Exciting news. Really hoping the next THS record is more up to par with the first 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by celluloid hero View Post
This is the most absurd post I've ever made on a message board.
mja271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 04:05 PM   #103
FiddySpence
TDCya

at this point i'm more interested in the solo album, since i'm assuming it will be more like Sweet Part Of the City, Cheyenne Sunrise, etc. that more country sound would fit the band well if their rock songs are going to continue to sound tired and uninspired.
Old 07-13-2011, 09:32 PM   #104
FiddySpence
TDCya

One For The Cutters is an underrated jam
Old 07-13-2011, 09:33 PM   #105
FiddySpence
TDCya

Dad do you know where your kids are?
sniffing that crystal in cute little cars
getting nailed against dumpsters behind townie bars
Old 07-13-2011, 10:22 PM   #106
mja271

Love that song. One of the first THS songs that I really got into. Stay Positive was the first album I was exposed to.
Quote:
Old 07-13-2011, 10:32 PM   #107
FiddySpence
TDCya

like a lot of people i got into them through Boys And Girls when that started getting them a ton of buzz.
Old 07-13-2011, 10:39 PM   #108
mja271

I actually vividly remember the first time I heard them. My buddy was a huge supporter and I usually always trust his musical taste. He put on Positive Jam while we were driving and warned me about the singers voice. Honestly, when I first heard Finn start, I turned to him and was like "are you fucking serious?". But then a few weeks later he gave me Stay Positive before a road trip and I really enjoyed it. Then I pretty much ripped through their back catalog.
Quote:
Old 07-13-2011, 10:46 PM   #109
FiddySpence
TDCya

Boys And Girls hit me like a fucking train. i was hooked after 30 seconds into Stuck Between Stations and got 4 of my friends hooked almost instantly just playing it while driving around town.

it's my go to anytime someone wants a starter record, it's one of the most hook-y attention grabbing things i've ever heard.
Old 07-13-2011, 10:51 PM   #110
mja271

Agreed. Still my favorite of theirs.
Quote:
Old 08-05-2011, 12:10 PM   #111
FiddySpence
TDCya

Pitchfork: When you were working on the songs you just recorded, was there a moment you realized they weren't Hold Steady songs?

Craig Finn: Yeah. For one thing, they're simpler. But also, [guitarist] Tad [Kubler] writes all the music for the Hold Steady. So by definition, they aren't Hold Steady songs. I don't really write much music, so this is stepping outside. It definitely highlights a more vulnerable aspect of lyrics and storytelling. I hope it will lead to good results when we get together in September to write our sixth Hold Steady record. We write pretty quickly so, ideally, we'd be recording before the end of the year.

Pitchfork: You mentioned narrative ideas on your album-- does the whole thing have a single narrative?

CF: No. But once I recorded it and started listening to the rough mixes, I realized that a lot of them are about displacement, which is something musicians deal with a lot. It's about people struggling with being outside of their comfort zone.

Pitchfork: Is that why you recorded it down in Austin?

CF: Going there was a challenge. I met all the musicians the first day I showed up to record. Josh Block from White Denim played drums, Jesse Ebaugh from the Heartless Bastards played bass, Will Johnson from Centro-matic sang, [pedal steel guitarist] Ricky Jackson, who plays with Phosphorescent, is on it. I was nervous. I'm not a spectacular musician, so there was some intimidation there, but I walked away with a lot of confidence.

Pitchfork: Soundwise, is it different from what you've been doing with the Hold Steady?

CF: I think so. It leans more towards Americana. It's less rock, a little more reserved. I was paying attention to more traditional songwriters like Townes Van Zandt, and the simplicity of words and melody.

Pitchfork: Is there any weirdness in the Hold Steady about you going off to make the record, or is everybody cool with it?

CF: Everybody was totally cool with it. We took a break. We played on April 8, and we took off until August 20. I think everyone is working on their own little things. People probably realized that, in the end, it would lead to cool results when we all got back together.

Pitchfork: Are you psyched to start playing Hold Steady shows again?

CF: Yeah. We haven't been off the road this long ever, so I think everyone is really missing it. I don't really know what to do with myself. Also, we genuinely like each other a lot.

Pitchfork: Did you finish working on your screenplay adaptation of Chuck Klosterman's book Fargo Rock City?

CF: We've finished it, and it's just kind of out there. We've had some meetings. I think [co-writer] Tom Ruprecht and I will work on another project, regardless of whether or not we can find a producer, because it's a creative partnership that I really enjoy.

Pitchfork: The last Hold Steady album was not as enthusiastically received, critically, as some of the ones before it. Why do you think that is?

CF: I don't know. Possibly because we just kept coming out with records, and it was just another Hold Steady record, you know? The good news is that people were still coming out to the shows-- in the music industry these days, that's what matters. But I think part of it is that we're not a new band anymore. There is a real thirst for new things; to not be a huge band, but also not a new band, is different territory. But if you keep putting out albums, there's always another one. It doesn't have to be your masterpiece if you don't wait six years between records.
Old 08-05-2011, 03:37 PM   #112
abw123

I was initially exposed to Boys and Girls and Stay Positive at the same time and I think both are exceptional. Then I got the first 2 albums. Did not like them much at first but definitely do now, particularly the 2nd disc, which really grew on me.

The most recent album is their worst (for me) by a large margin. 1 or 2 songs I really like, the rest is quasi-filler in comparison to the previous discs. Still listenable but overall, feels lazy to me.

Hope #6 is a return to form.
abw123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 01:41 PM   #113
Vincent
Theologian

CF: I think so. It leans more towards Americana. It's less rock, a little more reserved. I was paying attention to more traditional songwriters like Townes Van Zandt, and the simplicity of words and melody.

I really dislike the term Americana. Wasn't it coined by the idiots running the Grammys?

If Finn can pull this solo stuff off as well as Tweedy does, it would be nice pick up.

First time I've heard Tad wrote all of THS music. Interesting.

Got my tix for the September DC show. 930 Club is such a great venue.
If Finn can pull this off
Old 08-06-2011, 01:49 PM   #114
FiddySpence
TDCya

Heaven is Whenever was a misstep, but i haven't lost faith in Finn yet. and that's a fucking great backing band.

i've never minded the term "Americana" and think it describes the music appropriately.

it's been out there for a long time that Tad wrote all of the music. dude's got riffs for days.
Old 08-25-2011, 12:30 AM   #115
FiddySpence
TDCya

new tour started tonight and they apparently still don't have a keys player. shit is fucked.
Old 08-25-2011, 04:33 PM   #116
FiddySpence
TDCya

[Only registered users can see links.]

For a band that works as hard as the Hold Steady – both on the road and in the studio, where the beer-friendly indie outfit has produced five albums in the past seven years – taking four and a half months off from touring constitutes an extended vacation. But the band was back in business Wednesday at Milwaukee's Turner Hall, commencing a string of fall concert dates that will include a break in September, when they begin writing their sixth record.

There were no new songs in Wednesday's set list – not even lead singer Craig Finn's forthcoming solo album got a preview. Instead, the band drew evenly from its previous records, along with some non-album, in-concert favorites like "You Gotta Dance (With Who You Came to the Dance With)" and "Girls Like Status." But while the concert was essentially a rundown of greatest hits, the Hold Steady confidently presented itself as a band born again in the wake of keyboardist Franz Nicolay's departure and the lukewarm reaction to 2010's Heaven Is Whenever.

Ever since Nicolay's exit, the Hold Steady has struggled to find a new identity. Nicolay brought so much to the band in terms of sound and showmanship, and the Hold Steady has tried to fill that gaping hole with supplemental musicians that made the band sound busier, not better. For this tour, the Hold Steady is back to being a five-piece, with former Lucero guitarist Steve Selvidge now firmly entrenched as a complement to the group's main guitar player, Tad Kubler. On songs like "South Town Girls" and the Zeppelin-esque slide-guitar showcase "The Sweet Part Of The City," Kubler and Selvidge played off each better than ever before, trading off solos and interlocking beautifully on the band's trademark caterwauling riffs. Finally, those absent Nicolay piano flourishes were no longer missed.

If the guitar is now comfortably at the center of the Hold Steady's current live sound, the person dancing, preening and wildly gesticulating over it remains as much his old self as ever. Finn stands just a few feet to the right of Kubler on stage, but the two men might as well be a continent apart in terms of stage presence. While Kubler plays the ultra-cool guitarist-with-mystique role, swaying solidly back and forth in his sunglasses and fitted black shit and jeans, Finn is all sweat stains and every-dude ebullience, peering deep into a sea of intoxicated bros drunk on Miller High Life and the anthemic uplift of "Massive Nights" and "Chips Ahoy!" like a mad fisherman taunting a school of sharks.

In another refreshing break with the band's past, the Hold Steady decided to forgo the traditional set-closer "Killer Parties" – and Finn's usual "There's so much joy in what we do up here!" speech – and instead end with hardcore-scene ode "Stay Positive." Finn no doubt is still grateful to be performing for his loyal fans, but Wednesday's tour launch showed that he's poised to move beyond the Hold Steady's same old remembrances and tributes to the past – and toward something new and hopefully exciting just over the horizon.

Set list:
"Constructive Summer"
"Hot Soft Light
"Multitude Of Casualties"
"You Gotta Dance (With Who You Came To The Dance With)"
"The Swish"
"Rock Problems"
"Magazines"
"The Sweet Part Of The City"
"You Can Make Him Like You"
"Stuck Between Stations"
"Girls Like Status
"Sequestered In Memphis"
"Navy Sheets"
"Banging Camp"
"Chips Ahoy!"
"Chicago Seemed Tired Last Night"
"Hurricane J"
"Your Little Hoodrat Friend"
"South Town Girls"
"Slapped Actress"

Encore:
Untitled "rare" song
"Massive Nights"
"Stay Positive"

i think the rolling stone article is confusing Tad being "ultra cool" with being ultra stoned.
Old 08-25-2011, 04:39 PM   #117
mja271

What was the rare songs? Arms & Hearts?
Quote:
Old 08-25-2011, 04:41 PM   #118
FiddySpence
TDCya

i have no clue. probably something not really that rare like Milkcrate Mosh or something.
Old 08-25-2011, 07:23 PM   #119
harmonikfuzion

When are they going to release a live album? comeon already.
harmonikfuzion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 07:34 PM   #120
mja271

they have one. A Positive Rage. newb
Quote:

These Days Continue > The Continuation > nDMBc