These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > nDMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 06-19-2008, 12:34 PM   #41
brandJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdub1892 View Post
Question:

My friend just graduated, but still was wondering if he could use the Education discount. I was looking at the website and didn't really see anything saying he couldn't. It's a $200 discount when buying the Macbook Pro, and you get the free iPod that Beauford Buddy was talking about.

I bought a mac book last year in one of the Mac stores. I still have my student id from college and used it without a problem. It definitely makes a difference. The state I live in has a sales tax holiday every fall and people go ape shit over buying computers sales tax free; and, my old laptop died a week after this sales tax break. so, i saw it as a fair trade off considering a missed the tax break by a few days. I think i used it when i bought Office too.
brandJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 07:09 PM   #42
BeaufordBuddy

From my own experience I have discovered that if you order from the Apple Store for Education online you don't have to prove that you're a student. You just have to choose your school before entering the store. Now that's not to say that Apple could ask for proof before completing your order but from what I've read in their user agreement terms and from other people they won't. I ordered the heavily discounted academic Adobe Creative Suite 3 Premium from the Apple Store for Education and that's something you do have to prove your academic status for. I had to place the order by phone and afterwards had to email them my transcript and a Proof of Academic Identification Form. It takes awhile to get the order (I placed the order on June 6 and it just shipped yesterday) but it's definitely worth the price that you're able to get it at ($600 versus it's retail price of ~$1,800). So some things are worth proving that you're eligible for.
BeaufordBuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 06:58 PM   #43
Sean
get lost

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeaufordBuddy View Post
Thanks man, I installed all of those and they work great.

What do you suggest for file compression? I don't want to have to buy StuffIf. I know there's some free application out there that will handle it. Preferably I'd like an application that has the widest compatibility and can recognize the most archive files types. Got any suggestions?
The Unarchiver is a good free unzipping program. ive had some issues with stuffit, but this program works for all the files ive thrown at it
Sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 10:38 AM   #44
Billy'sTV

Watch out for the new MAC virus:

AppleScript.THT: new virus for MAC OS X

Security researchers reported last week that they’ve spotted a Mac Trojan horse in the wild that could compromise machines running Apple Inc.’s Mac OS X 10.4 or 10.5. SecureMac, a Mac-specific anti-virus vendor, posted an alert last Thursday that its researchers had found a Trojan horse, dubbed “AppleScript.THT,” being distributed from a hacker-operated site where discussions of spreading the malware via iChat, Apple’s instant messaging and video chat software, were also taking place. The company classified the threat posed by the Trojan as “critical.” The malware exploits a recently publicized vulnerability in the Apple Remote Desktop Agent (ARDAgent), part of Tiger’s and Leopard’s Remote Management component. Composed as a compiled AppleScript, or in another variant, script bundled into an application, the Trojan leverages the ARDAgent bug to gain full control of the victimized Mac.

“[It] allows a malicious user complete remote access to the system, can transmit system and user passwords, and can avoid detection by opening ports in the firewall and turning off system logging,” claimed SecureMac. “Additionally, the Trojan can log keystrokes, take pictures with the built-in Apple iSight camera, take screenshots, and turn on file sharing.” SecureMac’s warning came one day after an anonymous reader disclosed a few details of the ARDAgent vulnerability on Slashdot.org, and on the same day that rival security vendor Intego provided more information about the bug. Malicious AppleScript, said Intego, can call ARDAgent, which then gives that script full “root” access to the system. Like any Trojan horse, AppleScript.THT does not spread on its own but relies on user interaction, such as downloading and launching, to infect a machine. Trojans can also be silently introduced on a computer if it’s injected after a successful attack using another vulnerability, such as a browser bug.

Source: Computer World
Billy'sTV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 11:21 AM   #45
BeaufordBuddy

You forgot to mention the fix. How helpful.

[Only registered users can see links.]
Old 06-22-2008, 04:32 PM   #46
Billy'sTV

Quote:
You forgot to mention the fix. How helpful.

[Only registered users can see links.]
Wasn't aware of a fix....just saw it mentioned on rlslog.....wasn't trying to be "unhelpful"....
Billy'sTV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 12:20 PM   #47
JWood

Shit, I don't have any anti-virus software on my Mac, considering I've never had a virus.

JWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 02:35 PM   #48
Psionic

I wouldn't worry about it. Those security warnings pop up every few months, and i've still yet to see an infected mac.
Psionic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 03:55 PM   #49
JWood

I think this should become TDC's official Apple/Mac Thread
Old 06-23-2008, 03:59 PM   #50
Psionic

Quote:
I'll second that.
Old 06-23-2008, 04:07 PM   #51
BeaufordBuddy

Quote:
I think a title change is in order.
Old 06-24-2008, 01:38 PM   #52
JWood

So how you liking the new Mac BeaufordBuddy?
Old 06-24-2008, 03:03 PM   #53
JWood

Alright I have an Apple/iTunes related question.

I have some purchased TV shows/songs from iTunes that I purchased from my old Powerbook G4, and now I want to put them on my new iPod (when it comes in the mail), but I will be using my Macbook Pro as the computer in which to transfer the files to.

Will I run into any problems because of the "protected files"?
Old 06-24-2008, 03:04 PM   #54
JWood

^I'm not sure if that made any sense, but I can explain further if it didn't.
Old 06-24-2008, 06:03 PM   #55
BeaufordBuddy

Quote:
Alright I have an Apple/iTunes related question.

I have some purchased TV shows/songs from iTunes that I purchased from my old Powerbook G4, and now I want to put them on my new iPod (when it comes in the mail), but I will be using my Macbook Pro as the computer in which to transfer the files to.

Will I run into any problems because of the "protected files"?
Nope, no problems, so long as you authorize your MacBook Pro to play those protected files. Just open up iTunes, click on Store in the menu bar, then select Authorize Computer. You'll have to login to the iTunes Store under the account that made the purchases.

And life with my new MacBook Pro has been wonderful so far. I'm really enjoying my experience with learning OS X. I have all the software and programs that I need installed. I'm thinking about buying a Mac Pro for my next desktop.
Old 06-24-2008, 09:11 PM   #56
Psionic

Just to add to BB above, You can authorize up to 5 computers per iTunes Acct. You can reset your authorizations once per year.
Old 06-24-2008, 10:21 PM   #57
JWood

Thanks guys!
Old 06-24-2008, 10:28 PM   #58
JWood

Quote:
Nope, no problems, so long as you authorize your MacBook Pro to play those protected files. Just open up iTunes, click on Store in the menu bar, then select Authorize Computer. You'll have to login to the iTunes Store under the account that made the purchases.

And life with my new MacBook Pro has been wonderful so far. I'm really enjoying my experience with learning OS X. I have all the software and programs that I need installed. I'm thinking about buying a Mac Pro for my next desktop.
Good to hear.
Old 06-25-2008, 01:57 PM   #59
toomanychoices

To all the Mac people, I don't have that much money to spend on what I would like, which would be a 20" Imac, and I figured that sense I already a nice monitor and what not, I was thinking about buying a mac mini, anyone have a ideas about downside or complaints about the mac mini?
toomanychoices is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 09:30 AM   #60
Psionic

it really depends on what you want to use the mac for. The mini is... Limited. max 2gb ram, slower processor, and truly the weakest graphics CHIP (not card mind you) available from Apple.

So.. what you want to do with it?

These Days Continue > The Continuation > nDMBc