These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 11-30-2017, 11:58 AM   #701
canyonfool

Quote:
Originally Posted by greykitkat36 View Post
Was this actually officially confirmed though? I know that was what people were saying but not sure how they know that for sure. Rhyme wasn’t played that day. So it was on the setlist but they decided to cut it? Makes sense because it’s the same beat and he never did that on 41 ever before or since but wasn’t sure if that was confirmed but anything officially
I still don't know if it was intentional or not. I was pretty close in the Warehouse section for the show, and they were talking about stuff for a few minutes before they started the song. It seemed intentional, but then quickly corrected.
canyonfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 12:59 PM   #702
greykitkat36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowsdower View Post
The whole show is pretty sloppy, IMO.
Are we listening to the same show? I don’t hear that. LT4 is freakin sloppy. Just started that one today and yikes.
Old 11-30-2017, 01:01 PM   #703
greykitkat36

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimBeam41 View Post
I love the Santana guest spot too, one of the reasons i put this LT so high on my ranking. This Warehouse is my go to version, love when Santana starts to solo and Dave yells out "yeaaaa." He's great on watchtower too.

I also love all the Robert Randolph guest spots and this board generally looks down on him as a guest too.
Agreed. RR guest spots were looked down on because it always meant we were getting a Bayou or Smooth Rider In The set. They rarely put him on good songs—except the occasional watchtower. So I think it’s that and also that he guested a shitload from ‘05-‘07 maybe more than any guest has that never eventually joined the band.
Old 11-30-2017, 02:30 PM   #704
JimBeam41

Quote:
Agreed. RR guest spots were looked down on because it always meant we were getting a Bayou or Smooth Rider In The set. They rarely put him on good songs—except the occasional watchtower. So I think it’s that and also that he guested a shitload from ‘05-‘07 maybe more than any guest has that never eventually joined the band.
Louisiana Bayou might not be the best of songs, but Robert Randolph's guest spot on the 2005 Red Rocks show sure does get you out of your seat

Old 11-30-2017, 02:54 PM   #705
NiCK Crush

Dave looks weird wearing colors.
Old 11-30-2017, 04:35 PM   #706
celluloid hero

Quote:
I loved the long West Coast Two Steps with RR in 2006.
celluloid hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 06:30 PM   #707
MaLaKaS
Moore Soul

I personally enjoy the RR guest spot during the 5.29.02 MSG show as well.
MaLaKaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 02:39 PM   #708
mrpeters
Lock it away inside myself...

Quote:
Originally Posted by celluloid hero View Post
I don't think anyone asked him. It's the Rhyme & Reason part which is very unique and distinct, he quickly corrected himself, and playing different beats randomly to start a song isn't anything that any of them ever do. I think this one is blindingly obvious. It's not that he read a different song on the setlist, he just fucked up and spaced on it. Did it a month later on the VFC tour with Joy Ride and Hello Again.
That turned into a bad ass intro to Hello Again though!
mrpeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 04:31 PM   #709
batleon

Yeah this LT2 Stone intro is pretty sloppy unfortunately. It's been a fairly enjoyable listen so far for the most part though. Haven't listened to this one in ages...
batleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 02:10 AM   #710
greykitkat36

LT4 is a really subpar release. Is this the popular opinion on this one? I understand the significance of the show and why it would be released but kind of surprised they chose to release it this early on in the series. Sounded pretty sloppy, Dave's voice sounds kind of weird to me and not a whole lot of replay value. The proudest is pretty nice and Little Thing is cool to have but otherwise I wouldn't miss it. I remember people saying they like this Jimi Thing, but it's kind of terrible. Roi's solo is almost totally out of key the whole time. Though it was nice to hear Dave go at the acoustic like that. Not to mention Dave's banter is slightly annoying He talked a lot more back in '96 than almost any year I can remember.
Old 12-06-2017, 07:20 AM   #711
Jack
Grand Army of Letters

Yes, the prevailing opinion is that it is a bottom tier release.

Another child that's grown old
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 09:01 AM   #712
batleon

LT4 was made almost totally obsolete after we got LT18 too. Just about the same setlist and better in every way. Only thing LT4 has going for it is a cool Little Thing, and even that starts with a technical issue....
batleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 09:30 AM   #713
celluloid hero

The good thing LT4 has going for it is that an album release show is always worth something, and there is no other tape of the show.

I love the Say Goodbye too.
celluloid hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 11:48 AM   #714
Tomacco

Yeah, LT4 and LT10 are still probably my bottom two LTs.
Tomacco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 03:24 PM   #715
Jack
Grand Army of Letters

I enjoy those morello tracks every now and then.

Another child that's grown old
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 08:36 PM   #716
CRUSHsoccer15

I have weird affinity for LT10. Just skip the first few, pretty well played show after that.
Old 12-11-2017, 10:16 AM   #717
Fan#41

Homers Beer Run Champion!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
I enjoy those morello tracks every now and then.
Same. I also really like that SMTS. Shame such an energetic crowd is attached to a, imo, bottom tier release/show/tour, etc...
Fan#41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 01:23 AM   #718
greykitkat36

After listening to LT5 right after LT4 it's amazing the disparity. LT5 is miles better even only 3 minutes into the first song of the show. Not even close. Kind of ballsy for the band to open a show with an unreleased song (Proudest Monkey) that didn't even have set lyrics yet. Really shows how confident they were back then. Made me think how they would NEVER even attempt something like that anymore. They clearly were a different beast back then. Have they ever done that since? Open a show with an unreleased song without proper lyrics? I can't recall that happening. Ballsy move, but this Proudest smokes too. Forgot how good this show was. Proudest is one of the few songs I actually prefer the '96 versions of the best, but this one is pretty good despite Dave mumbling through most of it.
Old 12-14-2017, 07:44 AM   #719
Tomacco

Quote:
After listening to LT5 right after LT4 it's amazing the disparity. LT5 is miles better even only 3 minutes into the first song of the show. Not even close. Kind of ballsy for the band to open a show with an unreleased song (Proudest Monkey) that didn't even have set lyrics yet. Really shows how confident they were back then. Made me think how they would NEVER even attempt something like that anymore. They clearly were a different beast back then. Have they ever done that since? Open a show with an unreleased song without proper lyrics? I can't recall that happening. Ballsy move, but this Proudest smokes too. Forgot how good this show was. Proudest is one of the few songs I actually prefer the '96 versions of the best, but this one is pretty good despite Dave mumbling through most of it.
In 2004 they opened with Hello Again two months after its first play. In 2007, they opened with ADSR several times less than a month after its first play. In 2016, they opened with Bismarck a few weeks after its first play. All were unreleased and unfamiliar to probably most of the crowd. (The unfinished lyrics part I guess I’m not putting as much stock in, but I wouldn’t use this as evidence of them being a different beast back then, considering they’ve opened with unreleased new songs as recently as last year).

And yeah, LT5 is great. And it certainly kills LT4.
Tomacco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 10:33 AM   #720
mja271

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomacco View Post
In 2004 they opened with Hello Again two months after its first play. In 2007, they opened with ADSR several times less than a month after its first play. In 2016, they opened with Bismarck a few weeks after its first play. All were unreleased and unfamiliar to probably most of the crowd. (The unfinished lyrics part I guess I’m not putting as much stock in, but I wouldn’t use this as evidence of them being a different beast back then, considering they’ve opened with unreleased new songs as recently as last year).

And yeah, LT5 is great. And it certainly kills LT4.
I always thought it was pretty cool and ballsy that in 2000, JTR closed a show on only it's 2nd play ever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by celluloid hero View Post
This is the most absurd post I've ever made on a message board.
mja271 is offline   Reply With Quote

These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc