These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 12-18-2017, 11:56 PM   #20081
mario

Quote:
Originally Posted by willndmb View Post
I'm glad you enjoyed them but imo and experience, people who got to see shows from 2000 and earlier have a hard time finding shows after that incredible. That's prob were Mario is coming from if I had to guess.
You do have some nice ones on that list though
Indeed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomacco View Post
Iím not even entirely talking about the shows themselves though. Some shows are just fun shows, but enhanced by who youíre with or where it is. Every show I listed involved travel, meaning it was a road trip or vacation, so thatís definitely part of the fun.
You could have seen actual good musical performances with those same friends instead of the lovely ladies screeching at you.

mario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 07:56 AM   #20082
Jayes
ISO Hello Again&Broken Things

2013 was a great tour

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 09:06 AM   #20083
willndmb

Quote:
Iím not even entirely talking about the shows themselves though. Some shows are just fun shows, but enhanced by who youíre with or where it is. Every show I listed involved travel, meaning it was a road trip or vacation, so thatís definitely part of the fun.

I also saw shows in 2002-2004, and honestly, itís kind of all relative. Even in those so-called peak years, I judged shows relatively. For example, 8/5/03 and 8/30/03 are still two of the worst shows Iíve seen, despite being in a ďpeakĒ year. Same goes with 6/30/04 and 7/3/04. Not crazy bout those two shows either. I left kind of let down.

But I think thatís what makes DMB exciting to follow. You never know what youíre gonna get.
very true

Quote:
Originally Posted by greykitkat36 View Post
I'm including Big Whiskey which came out in '09, but yeah. 9 years--2 albums. In the band's first 9 years 91-00, they put out 5 albums (if you want to count LWS since it was slated to come out). '91 wasn't even a full year really, so if you go form '92-'01---6 albums. I think it's incredibly important to put out material...good or not good, it keeps you relevant. When too much time passes between releases, people tend to compare everything to "what was" and to "the old stuff" much more so.

Take Springsteen for example, I mean most people would agree he hasn't really put out an amazing/solid album since the '80s, (perhaps The Rising could be argued) yet he continued to churn stuff out and stay relevant. And his fans still enjoy tons of newer material and new songs even if the majority of that material hasn't been as good or as great. The point is, the more you put out, the more gems will be uncovered. That's my .02. There could be songs the band has that are just as good as some of their older material but they haven't released them, played them or had anyone hear them yet. Sometimes the artist himself isn't the best judge of his own material, and I think Dave's pretty much proven that over the years.
Great point and didnt realize how little it has been ex compared to the early yrs
willndmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 11:16 AM   #20084
mario

I also have no interest in seeing Springsteen and his zombie band ever. Should've shut it down when they lost Clarence and didn't have Max anymore.

Old 12-19-2017, 02:58 PM   #20085
greykitkat36

Quote:
Originally Posted by mario View Post
I also have no interest in seeing Springsteen and his zombie band ever. Should've shut it down when they lost Clarence and didn't have Max anymore.
Considering just two years ago Springsteen sold out 4 shows at Giants Stadium (MetLife) and played for over 4 hours at each would show that you’re in the minority with that thinking.

What were his ticket sale numbers? Do you happen to have them offhand? I know you keep records of these things
Old 12-19-2017, 03:27 PM   #20086
Fan#41

Homers Beer Run Champion!
Quote:
Originally Posted by willndmb View Post
I'm glad you enjoyed them but imo and experience, people who got to see shows from 2000 and earlier have a hard time finding shows after that incredible. That's prob were Mario is coming from if I had to guess.
For me, it's harder to find truly great shows from 2009 to now. And the shows that do come close to being great are just ruined by the band's actual playing. I've had fun at shows in 2012, 2013 and 2016, but even the shows I was at I can still have an unbiased outlook toward how the band was playing, how Dave's vocals were, etc... and say that while I was having fun with friends, seeing the band play a specific song that I truly enjoyed (Everybody Wake Up on 6/5/12, Whiter Shade of Pale on 6/6/12, #41 w/ Victor on 6/16/13), I can still admit that the entire show was not great.

imho, it's not about the lack of material because it's still the same loud, busy, overbearing musicianship that would be playing that new material so in the end it wouldn't matter. The sound has to change, in my opinion, before I would ever consider any show from here on out to be in any sort of realm from the mid-90's to around the time Big Whiskey came out.
Fan#41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 06:29 PM   #20087
mario

Quote:
Originally Posted by greykitkat36 View Post
Considering just two years ago Springsteen sold out 4 shows at Giants Stadium (MetLife) and played for over 4 hours at each would show that you’re in the minority with that thinking.

What were his ticket sale numbers? Do you happen to have them offhand? I know you keep records of these things
And millions of people watched two and a half men and millions of people listen to Miley Cyrus, and your point is not only fucking stupid...

It is also self defeating. Since dmb ticket sales have plummeted in the last decade, you're argument only proves that dmb shows have been bad since 2009.

Old 12-19-2017, 06:33 PM   #20088
ThememanXX
The Real Marlins Man

Banker Brokers Champion! Suduko Champion!
Tournaments Won: 2

The last show I consider great is Scranton, 2010.
handjob on the lawn during the encore saved it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
Who'd you jerk off?
ThememanXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 06:48 PM   #20089
mikelhu

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThememanXX View Post
Loved that show. Great 3 song start to that one. If I remember correctly, Stone, Warehouse, then Grace.... Crowd was electric for that run. Plus it had some other rarities throughout.

Wish they would go back since its 15 mins from me but when only 7k show up the last time they played there I can see why it's gone
mikelhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 08:37 PM   #20090
Jack
Grand Army of Letters

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThememanXX View Post
That you went to?

There were great shows in 2013. Hell, there is atleast one great show every tour. I still think almost everyone here is too jaded and a bit too unrealistic about what dmb was vs. what it is now.

Another child that's grown old
Jack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 09:44 PM   #20091
willndmb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
That you went to?

There were great shows in 2013. Hell, there is atleast one great show every tour. I still think almost everyone here is too jaded and a bit too unrealistic about what dmb was vs. what it is now.
I feel I'm pretty good at giving them credit for today vs yesterday.
What I mean is, I can say that was a great show - for today.
At the same time say, that was ok/good for dmb as a whole and what I have seen as a whole.

I haven't really rate shows like this but just as an example, A show that I would say is great today and give it a 10, would most likely be a 8 overall
Old 12-19-2017, 09:53 PM   #20092
willndmb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan#41 View Post
For me, it's harder to find truly great shows from 2009 to now. And the shows that do come close to being great are just ruined by the band's actual playing. I've had fun at shows in 2012, 2013 and 2016, but even the shows I was at I can still have an unbiased outlook toward how the band was playing, how Dave's vocals were, etc... and say that while I was having fun with friends, seeing the band play a specific song that I truly enjoyed (Everybody Wake Up on 6/5/12, Whiter Shade of Pale on 6/6/12, #41 w/ Victor on 6/16/13), I can still admit that the entire show was not great.

imho, it's not about the lack of material because it's still the same loud, busy, overbearing musicianship that would be playing that new material so in the end it wouldn't matter. The sound has to change, in my opinion, before I would ever consider any show from here on out to be in any sort of realm from the mid-90's to around the time Big Whiskey came out.
Yeah I didn't realize till yesterday just how little has been released in the last 8/9 yrs.
That def has an impact imo but on the flip side I personally in the back of my mind say I hope they don't release more "junk" to water down shows more
Quote:
And millions of people watched two and a half men and millions of people listen to Miley Cyrus, and your point is not only fucking stupid...

It is also self defeating. Since dmb ticket sales have plummeted in the last decade, you're argument only proves that dmb shows have been bad since 2009.
Talking dmb ticket sales vs pretty much any other band is null imo. Most bands don't tour anywhere near as much as they do let alone yr in and yr out.
dmb doesn't do themselves and favors in sales by touring so much I don't think. In fact I know people who skip shows because "they will be back in the area next month/yr"
Old 12-19-2017, 10:44 PM   #20093
DMBBoyd

Quote:
Old 12-19-2017, 10:54 PM   #20094
Tomacco

I will say that the Charlottesville benefit show in September was super depressing to me. It basically told me I should definitely not expect their sound to change at all anytime soon, and not even Butch joining the band will change that (seriously, wtf was that - he was inaudible). Rashawn leaving would make the biggest difference for me, but he’s way too involved for that to ever happen now. He’s the only part of the band’s sound now that I’m actively tired of.
Tomacco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 11:08 PM   #20095
Thrawn
You can't take the sky from me

The awkwardness of being a fan of this band is being perpetually stuck between "literally anything could happen" and "but it almost certainly won't".
Thrawn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 11:14 PM   #20096
DMBBoyd

Quote:
I had to read this again and...

Old 12-19-2017, 11:34 PM   #20097
greykitkat36

Quote:
I will say that the Charlottesville benefit show in September was super depressing to me. It basically told me I should definitely not expect their sound to change at all anytime soon, and not even Butch joining the band will change that (seriously, wtf was that - he was inaudible). Rashawn leaving would make the biggest difference for me, but heís way too involved for that to ever happen now. Heís the only part of the bandís sound now that Iím actively tired of.
Agreed. I think the Butch thing was a mix issue, that whole webcast sounded like shit. He balance was way off. Despite that, yeah they still sound the same. They tried changing their sound in Ď14 and Ď15 with the acoustic sets and that didnít work either overall (though it had its share of cool moments). Even AFTW was a huge sound departure from Big Whiskey,

Most Of AFTW was much more mellow albeit a couple tracks, but I think far too mellow to work in a live setting. People have made the point that Carter is really a big problem right now in terms of his approach. He bangs on those drums and loud and hard as he can and he just does whatever he wants on the songs now probably because heís bored of playing them. Heís not interested in playing stuff that fits, sometime Tim and Jeff and Rashawn can do the same. Itís more like a band of musicians trying to ďoutplayĒ each other with as much technique and craziness they can muster. Theyíre not playing ďtogetherĒ anymore, but rather compete for who can do the most wild thing. Thatís how I feel anyways. Itís a battle onstage instead of a cohesive unit performing.
Old 12-20-2017, 12:32 AM   #20098
TDunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrawn View Post
The awkwardness of being a fan of this band is being perpetually stuck between "literally anything could happen" and "but it almost certainly won't".

Ha so true
TDunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 02:23 AM   #20099
gweeps

I just can't muster up any enthusiasm for new DMB.

You know they're just going to play the same old songs the same old (loudfaster) way, albeit maybe with Butch (but probably not). You also know most of the songs they've debuted live over the past few years are going on the shelf, save possibly Samurai Cop (which Dave'll awkwardly rename Joy Begin).

Boyd will continue to be a genuine weirdo (please don't unfollow me on Twitter! #love).
Rashawn will continue to pretend he's Jamaican.
Carter will continue to wear his gloves and smile.
Stefan will occasionally remind us of his existence by drunkenly tweeting.

Who am I missing? Ah, Roi. He's still dead. And Tim, who isn't dead, will continue to be awesome and confounding with his lack of acoustic playing with DMB.

Oh yeah, can't forget Jeff. This guy will keep not playing like it's 2009.

Capshaw will still hear Pink Floyd's cash register in his sleep.

But none of this matters as long as Dave keeps dancing, right? Bring on the club hitz!
gweeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 08:40 AM   #20100
Aparker507

The thing about Carter is just weird. I get he can be bored but as masterful of a drummer he is, surely he can realize some of the stuff he's doing now doesn't fit? Of course Stefan looking back when he does these things and smiling so big doesn't help any. I listened to the MSG Trax the other day and man I just miss that Carter. I even miss that kit. The sounds he had back then are just becoming more and more my favorite.

That said, I've made a new year end update to my Carter kit if anyone would like to check it out!

[Only registered users can see links.]
Aparker507 is offline   Reply With Quote

These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc