These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > nDMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 12-12-2013, 05:09 PM   #19321
drummerkrf

Home Run Champion!Tournaments Won: 1

Poor Mitch is here trying to talk about his new favorite show with the Canadian and we're shitting on him by talking about stuff that belongs in its own thread....
drummerkrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 05:23 PM   #19322
Josh.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
I have an absolute hatred of meatheads. I'll never apologize for that fact.

And yes, anecdotally I've found that most gym-obsessed people were picked on in school for being fat or being a spaz or whatever. There's also a huge difference from going to the gym regularly and being gym-obsessed.
I know the types you're talking about. They also wear Tapout t-shirts and probably have a tracking bracelet on their ankle. They exist, but you have to realize that's, like, 20% of the people who actually go to the gym, if that. Probably more like 10%.

The rest are people who go more or less do it to feel and try to look good for a variety of different reasons. The vast majority of "regulars" are really nice people who just love working out...just like how there are really nice people who love to go to the movies a lot, or post on the Internet, or go to DMB shows, or whatever it is that floats their boat. It's a completely harmless hobby; the other day I was talking to a gorgeous, super smart girl (GWU grad) about her work as a prosecutor in town. Pretty cool, no?

My WHOLE point was that there's a stereotype held by a lot of people who don't work out that people who "do" work out a lot have huge egos, think they're better than the world, think they're the shit, are stupid, etc. That's a really, really antiquated line of thinking that started 30, 40 years ago and does not at all represent the vast majority of the current population of "gym rats." Hence, me repeating that if you actually went out and explored the lifestyle, your perception would probably change completely.

Also, yes, people DO post workout pics for attention on Facebook. But that's the point of Facebook. I think in the 8 years I've had a Facebook profile I personally have a total of about 10 or 15 gym related posts, usually sharing a routine or looking for advice on how to improve my routine from friends who also work out a lot (it is a social Web site intended to be used to discuss those kinds of things).

I know when I post some people (aka dudes who don't work out) probably get annoyed, but if they're on Facebook, isn't it their own fault? Aren't they at fault for ignoring the fact that the whole point of the site is for people to discuss their hobbies, activities, milestones in life...etc? It's a stream of random shit that people want to say about themselves. If you don't like that, you shouldn't be on Facebook.

Also, realize this whole "annoying gym discussion/pictures on Facebook" thing is subjective. For every chick posting a picture of herself in a bikini that you've rubbed one out to on Facebook, there's some chick also digging the guy posting pics of himself showing his abs or whatever at the gym (I've never done this, but try to see the point).

Is your problem with seeing fit people posting about themselves, or is it with GUYS posting those things? Think about that for a second and realize how your stance may be entirely hypocritical.

All that said, I've got no hate at all toward you, Caveat. Just trying to give you a different perspective.
Old 12-12-2013, 05:29 PM   #19323
Josh.0

Also, I think what drove this whole conversation was me saying I would only date fit women. I stand by that. Why? Because it's a HUGE thing we would have in common and can actually do with each other. I've learned that when one is into that and the other isn't, it creates a stupid amount of tension for such an innocuous hobby.
Old 12-12-2013, 05:37 PM   #19324
drummerkrf

Home Run Champion!Tournaments Won: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh.0 View Post
I've learned that when one is into that and the other isn't, it creates a stupid amount of tension for such an innocuous hobby.
M: "Come work out with me then!"
F: "What are you saying? Do you think I'm fat?"
M: "No its just something I enjoy doing and would enjoy more if you were there with me."

drummerkrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 05:43 PM   #19325
Josh.0

It is true though. When I started dating my ex one of the first things she told me was "Oh I go to the gym all the time too!"

So I'm thinking, "Perfect! We can do this shit together sometimes!"

Fast forward 200 arguments later where she's ripping me apart yet again for spending "so much time" in the gym (a total of - GASP! - 10 hours a week), and she never goes ONCE the whole time we're together. Needless to say, I finally cracked and called it off with her.

I mean, there were about 20 other things much more serious that also made me not want to be with her anymore, but the gym thing really got on my nerves because she knew from Day 1 it was something I was really into. And trust me when I say this girl was never neglected any attention from me at all (I have friends here who can vouch for that).

...and you wonder why I've been critical of women lately...
Old 12-12-2013, 06:15 PM   #19326
Jayes
ISO Hello Again&Broken Things

Quote:
It is true though. When I started dating my ex one of the first things she told me was "Oh I go to the gym all the time too!" So I'm thinking, "Perfect! We can do this shit together sometimes!" Fast forward 200 arguments later where she's ripping me apart yet again for spending "so much time" in the gym (a total of - GASP! - 10 hours a week), and she never goes ONCE the whole time we're together. Needless to say, I finally cracked and called it off with her. I mean, there were about 20 other things much more serious that also made me not want to be with her anymore, but the gym thing really got on my nerves because she knew from Day 1 it was something I was really into. And trust me when I say this girl was never neglected any attention from me at all (I have friends here who can vouch for that). ...and you wonder why I've been critical of women lately...
Ahh you'll relax soon and see women through a clearer lens
Jayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 08:38 PM   #19327
MaLaKaS
Moore Soul

I agree with Josh. I mean I slipped the last few months, but I used to be a gym regular too (5 nights a week for 3 years). I met so many nice and cool people at the gym, who actually want to help you with your goals. It's only the 5% who are assholes.
MaLaKaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 09:20 PM   #19328
mja271

The gym sucks, everything is so fucking heavy there
Quote:
Originally Posted by celluloid hero View Post
This is the most absurd post I've ever made on a message board.
mja271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 10:11 PM   #19329
MaLaKaS
Moore Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by mja271 View Post
The gym sucks, everything is so fucking heavy there

Old 12-12-2013, 11:09 PM   #19330
mja271

Quote:
Originally Posted by celluloid hero View Post
This is the most absurd post I've ever made on a message board.
mja271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 12:49 AM   #19331
K270
Kan Pai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post

I stopped sweetening my coffee a few months ago. After about a week, I totally got used to it. Don't miss the sweetener at all, but I do need milk.

As did I, sort of. I was looking for an alternative to sugar, so I started to use Raw Local Wildflower Honey. Tastes so good. I stopped putting cream, or milk or whatever that white shit was I kept putting in my coffee.
K270 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 08:43 AM   #19332
ggies
Sugar Will '04

Who's going to fuck around at work today because he doesn't want to go through a long excel spread sheet? This guy. Plus it's Friday......

ggies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 09:09 AM   #19333
ThememanXX
Ichiro is the New Giancarlo

Banker Brokers Champion! Suduko Champion!
Tournaments Won: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
I have an absolute hatred of meatheads. I'll never apologize for that fact.

There's also a huge difference from going to the gym regularly and being gym-obsessed.
This.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggies View Post
Who's going to fuck around at work today because he doesn't want to go through a long excel spread sheet? This guy. Plus it's Friday......
....and this!

I'm not doing anything here today, leaving at 1pm and going home to watch a few episodes of Mad Men Season Six (half a season to go!) before I go get a haircut and do some more xmas shopping tonight. Joy.
handjob on the lawn during the encore saved it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
Who'd you jerk off?
ThememanXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 11:03 AM   #19334
Josh.0

Got into a motherfucking fender bender this morning. Four cars.

First car did nothing wrong. Second card was braking a bunch and suddenly hit the car in front of them. I was the third car, and I hit the second car. Then the fourth car behind me tapped my bumper and took off. FML.
Old 12-13-2013, 11:06 AM   #19335
BurnItDown

That sucks.

Had the work holiday brunch this morning. Made a quiche and none was left. I call it a success.
Old 12-13-2013, 11:32 AM   #19336
Jayes
ISO Hello Again&Broken Things

Quote:
Got into a motherfucking fender bender this morning. Four cars. First car did nothing wrong. Second card was braking a bunch and suddenly hit the car in front of them. I was the third car, and I hit the second car. Then the fourth car behind me tapped my bumper and took off. FML.
That sucks man. My brother's car was totaled Monday by some color blind jackass who doesn't know how traffic lights work. Michigan's a no fault state so he's pretty much fucked.

Two years ago my other brother was issued a ticket for failure to yield (which wasnt true) and ended up hitting some 14 year old cunt who didn't know what the fuck was going on and, of course, shouldn't have been driving in the first place. Luckily some witnesses stayed and attested to the fact that the 14 year old and her grandma switched seats on him. He still got the ticket. Michigan cops, man. Wtf
Jayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 11:33 AM   #19337
Mitch

Quote:
Got into a motherfucking fender bender this morning. Four cars.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnItDown View Post
That sucks.

Had the work holiday brunch this morning. Made a quiche and none was left.
This reminds me of one of those awkward segues on the news where they talk about death and destruction and then segue right into a human interest story about a new panda at the zoo or something
Mitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 11:43 AM   #19338
Josh.0

Old 12-13-2013, 12:34 PM   #19339
BurnItDown

yeah....
Old 12-13-2013, 08:14 PM   #19340
MaLaKaS
Moore Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayes View Post
That sucks man. My brother's car was totaled Monday by some color blind jackass who doesn't know how traffic lights work. Michigan's a no fault state so he's pretty much fucked.

Two years ago my other brother was issued a ticket for failure to yield (which wasnt true) and ended up hitting some 14 year old cunt who didn't know what the fuck was going on and, of course, shouldn't have been driving in the first place. Luckily some witnesses stayed and attested to the fact that the 14 year old and her grandma switched seats on him. He still got the ticket. Michigan cops, man. Wtf

Damn, in Jersey, that kid would have gotten fucked up by the police...

These Days Continue > The Continuation > nDMBc