Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-08-2018, 08:02 AM   #1741
Fan#41

Homers Beer Run Champion!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomacco View Post
Ah, I think I missed that conspiracy.
For a long stretch they didn't release any live performances with Butch so the conspiracies were that a) it had to do with royalties or whatever (which always seems to be the "go to" when we're not sure of something. b) the band or management was pissed with him and didn't want to feature him on anything.

There were a few other conspiracies that were posted but I don't remember them all.
Old 03-08-2018, 08:40 AM   #1742
batleon

There's some A+ work going on in this thread
Old 03-08-2018, 09:04 AM   #1743
RageATL
The Dude abides

What an absolute shit show this album recording/marketing "effort" is but hot damn, this thread is a blast to back read.

My DMB Almanac: http://dmbalmanac.com/Member.aspx?number=576
Old 03-08-2018, 09:53 AM   #1744
celluloid hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3-D View Post
From already recorded studio tracks? Why wouldn't they?
Because they're not erasing him from history. He is taking a break and that's all we know. Massive leap from that to "erasing and remixing tracks from over a decade ago that will have Roi and not him."
Old 03-08-2018, 12:41 PM   #1745
JustinC

Mark Batson??

Old 03-08-2018, 12:50 PM   #1746
sdaltons

I mean if nothing else, this is becoming pretty fascinating. The album will probably be a disaster but what if it's not?

And it's probably the point in their history where the double album thing is the most plausible.

I'm way more invested in this than I probably would have been.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smittay
but what if the DMB's GGT was a really GGT, then D&F's GGT wouldn't be such a GGT as DMB's GGT, WWYS?
Old 03-08-2018, 01:31 PM   #1747
Tomacco

The fact that Batson dilneates between SU being DMB’s hip Hip record, and this one being the DMB you know and love, with fully live instruments and no loops, makes me a lot less concerned. And I really get the sense Batson didn’t really put this thing together, the way he talks about hearing the songs a couple days ago. All I’m really getting from his involvement is that we should expect to see sons he previously worked on with the band (IOY, Break free, Shotgun, Cant Stop, etc).
Old 03-08-2018, 02:00 PM   #1748
crazycreep

DMB official twitter :
“There’s one, ‘Black and Blue Bird,’ that I assume will be on there because I like it a lot.” – Dave Matthews on the new album at @Radiodotcom #DMB2018 #SeeYouOnTheRoad

Marketing geniuses....
Old 03-08-2018, 02:02 PM   #1749
greykitkat36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomacco View Post
The fact that Batson dilneates between SU being DMB’s hip Hip record, and this one being the DMB you know and love, with fully live instruments and no loops, makes me a lot less concerned. And I really get the sense Batson didn’t really put this thing together, the way he talks about hearing the songs a couple days ago. All I’m really getting from his involvement is that we should expect to see sons he previously worked on with the band (IOY, Break free, Shotgun, Cant Stop, etc).
Yeah that's what I'm leaning towards believing too. I think his "production" credits are mainly because he helped to record these songs back in '06 and they might be using some of those sessions and remixing them, maybe putting updated Dave Vocals and horn lines on them etc. Or maybe just mixing and they want him there because he helped work on them. It's only fair. Most likely those songs will all be on a bonus disc that will come with purchase of the album, I don't see any of them making the actual cut of the new album considering they might be recordings from over 10 years ago. Right now everything's "in consideration" for the album, but really it makes no sense to put those on it if they're going to just mix and edit the actual '06 sessions. And while of course I'll be more interested in those songs than the new stuff, I'll be worried just because Batson was attached to them at one point--his stamp is going to be on it, and it's not a great one.
Old 03-08-2018, 02:09 PM   #1750
greykitkat36

Apparently Break Free was leaked at one point too, and I remember it being pretty terrible. (no one knows if it was legit though, could have been an IEM or Soundcheck or something too). I'm wondering if Boyd will be on the Break Free ending jam. He did a nice job on that in '16 when they busted it out, makes me wonder if they added that section into the studio track or not. Also, I don't think there's a chance they're going to delete all of Boyd's parts, that's just insane to me. People really jumping to conclusions on that. Remember BTCS had a string section on a lot of the album too and it had nothing to do with '"getting rid of Boyd" it was just to fill out the arrangements and give them more power. I wouldn't read into it too much, we're not even sure if Boyd is gone or good or not.
Old 03-08-2018, 02:11 PM   #1751
NiCK (Crush)

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycreep View Post
DMB official twitter :
“There’s one, ‘Black and Blue Bird,’ that I assume will be on there because I like it a lot.” – Dave Matthews on the new album at @Radiodotcom #DMB2018 #SeeYouOnTheRoad

Marketing geniuses....

They are so bad at social media.

We've had that information for weeks now.

I swear to Christ if they try to make Black & Bluebird the lead single...
Old 03-08-2018, 02:12 PM   #1752
NiCK (Crush)

Also, that Break Free studio leak sounds just like the song Break Free. I don't know how fair it is to blame Batson for that one.
Old 03-08-2018, 02:44 PM   #1753
cgator41
Johnny Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiCK Crush View Post
Also, that Break Free studio leak sounds just like the song Break Free. I don't know how fair it is to blame Batson for that one.
It does. But probably the worst part of it is the vocal effect on Dave's voice during the chorus. Also the abrupt, out of place cut after the second chorus. It's the same kind of shit he pulled with Hello Again and it's why people hate him as a producer.
Old 03-08-2018, 02:47 PM   #1754
NiCK (Crush)

here it is for those who may not have heard it:

Old 03-08-2018, 02:49 PM   #1755
NiCK (Crush)

I mean, Carter sounds like he's actually playing drums at least.
Old 03-08-2018, 02:50 PM   #1756
dobyblue

Mark has definitely been involved in recent recording sessions dating back several weeks to mid-January.

There's probably a bunch of songs he's not involved with as producer that he's hearing for the first time, the producer rarely mixes the album so if Alagia is not just co-producing but also mixing the entire thing (he mixed all of Busted Stuff) then Mark may be hearing final mixes of some of the material he's produced, and newly worked on, for the first time, right from Alagia's console.

I'm pretty sure Mark's deadly serious about that golden ticket thing if his video collection he mentioned (of all the second sessions) isn't included in some kind of super deluxe 4CD+Blu-ray version of the new album.

Last edited by dobyblue; 03-08-2018 at 03:05 PM.
Old 03-08-2018, 02:54 PM   #1757
celluloid hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgator41 View Post
It does. But probably the worst part of it is the vocal effect on Dave's voice during the chorus. Also the abrupt, out of place cut after the second chorus. It's the same kind of shit he pulled with Hello Again and it's why people hate him as a producer.
It's hard to be too critical of an early mix recorded via a recording played through an IEM and recorded during a soundcheck.
Old 03-08-2018, 02:55 PM   #1758
cgator41
Johnny Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiCK Crush View Post
I mean, Carter sounds like he's actually playing drums at least.
Yeah. Hopefully Batson goes more for the style of Joyride. Besides Dave not singing with his normal voice, that studio cut is pretty solid.
Old 03-08-2018, 02:59 PM   #1759
NiCK (Crush)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgator41 View Post
Yeah. Hopefully Batson goes more for the style of Joyride. Besides Dave not singing with his normal voice, that studio cut is pretty solid.
I always forget about that studio Joyride. I like that alot.
Old 03-08-2018, 03:00 PM   #1760
cgator41
Johnny Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by celluloid hero View Post
It's hard to be too critical of an early mix recorded via a recording played through an IEM and recorded during a soundcheck.
Agree about the early mix part. Would probably be a lot better with the horns and other parts added.

I don't think where it was recorded matters that much--it's pretty good quality regardless.
Closed Thread

These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc