Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 02-15-2018, 12:42 PM   #941
Jfaspen
Burnin Dance

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiCK Crush View Post

Just watched this whole thing for the first time in probably a decade. It's really pretty fascinating. And so bizarre.

Also there is like 30 seconds of music played in this entire video that actually sounds really cool. Of course, it's nowhere to be found on Stand Up.

"Boyd Tinsley... is just another way to spell love"

Has the somewhat full tip jar on the Piano ever been talked about.. 12:38.

Also. Do they still own this studio?
No Referrals needed, complete free trials and get free stuff

http://www.trialclix.com/index.asp?refID=65464
Old 02-15-2018, 12:43 PM   #942
greykitkat36

“I’d come back to the studio and couldn’t believe what had happened to that riff I made...”

that should never be the case
Old 02-15-2018, 01:06 PM   #943
mja271

It's hilarious how they got so excited about that HFTGL riff
Quote:
Originally Posted by celluloid hero View Post
This is the most absurd post I've ever made on a message board.
Old 02-15-2018, 01:09 PM   #944
NiCK (Crush)

It’s literally one of the most generic rock riffs I’ve ever heard
Old 02-15-2018, 01:11 PM   #945
mja271

Quote:
It’s literally one of the most generic rock riffs I’ve ever heard
Any bozo with even an elementary skill level on the guitar could've farted that one out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by celluloid hero View Post
This is the most absurd post I've ever made on a message board.
Old 02-15-2018, 01:23 PM   #946
That's it, Sir.
I understand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greykitkat36 View Post
“I’d come back to the studio and couldn’t believe what had happened to that riff I made...”

that should never be the case
Yea, so so so so true.
Old 02-15-2018, 04:43 PM   #947
Thrawn
You can't take the sky from me

Quote:

Just watched this whole thing for the first time in probably a decade. It's really pretty fascinating. And so bizarre.

Also there is like 30 seconds of music played in this entire video that actually sounds really cool. Of course, it's nowhere to be found on Stand Up.

"Boyd Tinsley... is just another way to spell love"
So many things about this are so weird. I cannot understand how this band has such bad taste in its own music. I'm not sure about Roi, and Boyd has always been a little bit out to lunch and/or in love with every song the band writes, but Dave and Stefan and Carter are clearly wholeheartedly loving this. These are the same people that wrote Before These Crowded Streets (which, remember, much of came out of writing sessions with at least Dave and Stefan together - it's not true that Dave arrived with the songs already formed). Stefan comes to BTCS with an intricate bass riff in 7/8 time that becomes a complex meditation on loss and adulthood, and then he comes to Stand Up with a generic shitty grunge riff that becomes inane drivel about dirty sex. How are these the same people?

Of all the things that mystify me as a fan of this band, the entire creation of Stand Up is still #1. No question. The fuck were ANY of these people thinking.
Old 02-15-2018, 04:43 PM   #948
MaLaKaS
Moore Soul

Yep, that's our band. Our pride and joy
Old 02-15-2018, 04:50 PM   #949
NiCK (Crush)

I don’t know how much Dave is truly loving it. The entire end credits he’s kinda making fun of the whole thing. And when he says “this is a good record” just sounds like he’s trying to convince himself.
Old 02-15-2018, 04:50 PM   #950
Thrawn

At least, after a couple of years, sanity basically reasserted itself. Played 10 or less times since 2007: American Baby, AB Intro, Dreamgirl, Everybody Wake Up, Hunger, Smooth Rider, Stand Up, Steady As We Go.

Since Tim came back, the Stand Up album is basically just Bayou, Old Dirt Hill, Out Of My Hands, You Might Die Trying, and the acoustic set performances of Stolen Away. And I don't think any of those songs is a disaster, after being rearranged and worked on in the intervening years.

But damn. How could they have made that album and been that proud of it? It genuinely does not make sense to me.
Old 02-15-2018, 04:53 PM   #951
NiCK (Crush)

A lot of that enthusiasm can be chalked up to them just having an album to promote. As you said, they’ve since stopped playing the album significantly.
Old 02-15-2018, 05:06 PM   #952
Jayes
ISO Hello Again&Broken Things

New Studio Album & Songs Discussion (Summer 2018)

Seen the video before and it’s still baffling. Thrawn said it best. But I legitimately do not understand how they thought this was a rebirth. The biggest takeaway from these sessions should’ve been (and in a lot of ways became) what they should NOT do. They dropped most of the album from the rotation. American Baby and EWU were probably the only passable tunes in there and they’re still bottom tier. Blah blah blah, been said a trillion times. What a weird time.
Old 02-15-2018, 05:09 PM   #953
NiCK (Crush)

I mean the answer is that they very obviously didn’t truly believe it to be a rebirth.
Old 02-15-2018, 05:15 PM   #954
roshea999
Now that's Oldstyle

Battleship Champion! Beer Dude 2 Champion! Space Invaders Champion!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayes View Post
Seen the video before and it’s still baffling. Thrawn said it best. But I legitimately do not understand how they thought this was a rebirth. The biggest takeaway from these sessions should’ve been (and in a lot of ways became) what they should NOT do. They dropped most of the album from the rotation. American Baby and EWU were probably the only passable tunes in there and they’re still bottom tier. Blah blah blah, been said a trillion times. What a weird time.
They did some great things with YMDT live - the song was evolving in 2007 (vegas is kind of interesting), but it got new life once Tim came on board.

My issue is that it really hasn't changed since. Dave scats a little now over the outro, but it got tired for me.
Old 02-15-2018, 05:17 PM   #955
roshea999
Now that's Oldstyle

Battleship Champion! Beer Dude 2 Champion! Space Invaders Champion!
Boyd leaving will force them to re-visit the structure of some of these songs.

This can be good or bad. Either, they simply only work on what to do with his violin solos and they neglect to modernize songs that have grown stale (41, YMDT, OSW) or they are motivated to blow the whole thing up and make it fresh again.

I suspect we know how this will end, but it might get interesting.
Old 02-15-2018, 06:35 PM   #956
Thrawn

This is DMB. We'll be genuinely surprised by exciting changes on 1-3 songs and the rest will be exactly the same.
Old 02-15-2018, 06:57 PM   #957
Tambourine Man
now in Capshaw Blue

How would u handle the Boyd sections on Too Much? No good options there
Old 02-15-2018, 06:58 PM   #958
Monk
Moore Soul

Quote:
A lot of that enthusiasm can be chalked up to them just having an album to promote. As you said, they’ve since stopped playing the album significantly.

Not just an album to promote, but enthusiasm for what they saw as a “successful” studio album of fresh material. The Lillywhite sessions were clearly a debacle for the band personally. Follow that up by Everyday, which Dave essentially wrote and recorded without the band when the plan was to finish the LWS. Despite a commercial success, fan backlash and bitterness between band mates was the end result. Then came Busted Stuff, while decent compared to other studio efforts (mostly because of the solid material to work with), was a rehash for them. We know Dave has a strong sense to “look forward” rather than back, and we ended up (with the exception of a few bright moments) an uninspired album that was criticized when directly compared to the LWS by fans.

Stand Up was not only their chance to leave behind 3 frustrating studio efforts and produce some fresh material, but do it in a way that took minimal effort from the band and minimize frustration by handing it off to a producer that would piece together loops and hooks. I’m sure the process lifted a burden off them after having such difficulty in the studio for so many years. I can certainly see the appeal for them, even if I think the result was pure crap. Given that, its worth noting that I started the Batson chant at Roseland. :toomuchrawkforonehand

http://dmbalmanac.com/Member.aspx?number=181

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoftMacho View Post
i get the feeling about 3% of the people in this thread have ever been laid
Old 02-15-2018, 07:08 PM   #959
MaLaKaS
Moore Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monk View Post
Not just an album to promote, but enthusiasm for what they saw as a “successful” studio album of fresh material. The Lillywhite sessions were clearly a debacle for the band personally. Follow that up by Everyday, which Dave essentially wrote and recorded without the band when the plan was to finish the LWS. Despite a commercial success, fan backlash and bitterness between band mates was the end result. Then came Busted Stuff, while decent compared to other studio efforts (mostly because of the solid material to work with), was a rehash for them. We know Dave has a strong sense to “look forward” rather than back, and we ended up (with the exception of a few bright moments) an uninspired album that was criticized when directly compared to the LWS by fans.

Stand Up was not only their chance to leave behind 3 frustrating studio efforts and produce some fresh material, but do it in a way that took minimal effort from the band and minimize frustration by handing it off to a producer that would piece together loops and hooks. I’m sure the process lifted a burden off them after having such difficulty in the studio for so many years. I can certainly see the appeal for them, even if I think the result was pure crap. Given that, its worth noting that I started the Batson chant at Roseland. :toomuchrawkforonehand

great post. Unfortunately, I joined you in that Barron chant though, as I was standing next to you that night
Old 02-15-2018, 07:57 PM   #960
sdaltons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrawn View Post
At least, after a couple of years, sanity basically reasserted itself. Played 10 or less times since 2007: American Baby, AB Intro, Dreamgirl, Everybody Wake Up, Hunger, Smooth Rider, Stand Up, Steady As We Go.

Since Tim came back, the Stand Up album is basically just Bayou, Old Dirt Hill, Out Of My Hands, You Might Die Trying, and the acoustic set performances of Stolen Away. And I don't think any of those songs is a disaster, after being rearranged and worked on in the intervening years.

But damn. How could they have made that album and been that proud of it? It genuinely does not make sense to me.
I would take the occasional American Baby and Everybody Wake Up. And maybe even Stand Up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smittay
but what if the DMB's GGT was a really GGT, then D&F's GGT wouldn't be such a GGT as DMB's GGT, WWYS?
Closed Thread

These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc