These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 02-15-2021, 12:46 PM   #121
CRUSHsoccer15

Quote:
Originally Posted by soups View Post
Good post. I couldn't see myself going to a DMB show now unless it was in a "let's go tailgate and act like we are 20 again" setting - which defines the nostalgia act mentality. Interestingly enough, the decision to not replace the departed violin player with another violin is a clear indication that they don't wish to be a nostalgia act - yet their new lineup, driven by electric guitar and wall-of-sound sensibilities has the reverse effect. They've gone from worldbeat to dadrock in the matter of a decade of unfortunate sonic command decisions, morphing into a bastardized caricature of themselves.

It's interesting to note the trajectory of the band, one that's different than many aging touring acts. DMB started out as an unlikely pairing of sounds, with a reluctant frontman who knew his strengths and deferred to the quirky and dynamic nature of his counterparts. Dave habitually referenced the "unique five voices" that made up the quintet, sheepishly downplaying his charismatic leading-man abilities.

As time has gone on, the unique five voices have been slowly phased out, in favor of the talent-laden yet hackneyed lineup we hear today; one that I admittedly have zero interest in listening to.

The Dave Matthews Band has actually turned into just that: a cast of characters, rallying around a mediocre vocalist whose street cred far outlasts his musical fortitude. The supporting cast is no longer unique, nor is the product that they produce. And it sells tickets. And they don't appear to care because they're making money and having fun.
This is spot the fuck on. I go for the nostalgia once a year or every other year to hear some songs I love, but that's it.
Old 02-15-2021, 01:02 PM   #122
greykitkat36

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmb2much40 View Post
This is all spot on, but it isn’t going to change because they don’t see anything wrong. They may have been deluded into believing their evolution has been positive because the crowds are still showing up. They are still selling amphitheater’s fairly well. The majority of the crowd is there for the party, pumped to hear the laundry list of covers in the jimi thing jam and go apeshit for Rashawn’s squeaks and Buddy’s Everyday antics. Even better if Dave wears sunglasses and humps the mic stand during Seven.
I mean yeah they are all clearly having a lot of fun playing together right now, despite what we think. Most of DMbfamily Eats it up and so do all the super casual “well I’ve never seen DMB so I might as well give it a shot” people. The band pretty much stopped playing to the hardcores years ago. They throw us some bones at SPAC, Gorge and few select venues but otherwise they’re gonna do what they want and what makes them happy as long as the majority of the fanbase keeps coming.
Old 02-15-2021, 02:20 PM   #123
Mersh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
I miss the violin. If boyd is beyond repair, I wish they could find a replacement. I know they won’t, they love the dave matthews party band (good for them!), but it is really not good in my mind. It is unlistenable in a solo setting. If I want to go tailgate, drink a bunch of beers and have a nostalgic experience, it scratches that Dave itch, but I honestly can’t enjoy 4.0 in any other setting. I think this is why the Dave and Carter session was so enjoyable, it was as close as we can get to the dmb most of us fell in love with.

I wonder what dave truly thinks. He is surrounded by people now whose best interest is to keep the current band going. Rashawn and Buddy need dave to think this band is “bad as fuck,” or they might be out. And they’re right, just not in the way they mean imho.
Agreed.
Mersh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 02:41 PM   #124
sean52692
You failed this band

Anyone else feel a real divide in 2018 vs 2019? I personally feel a lot of 2018 had a refreshing quality to it. Boyd was gone and quite frankly Buddy took off running and the band sounded really good for most of that year. Early sets in May were well received as well as the Fall tour was. I actually felt the band was doing all they could given the circumstances to make the music interesting again. They slowed things down, made changes to solos (although this was necessary given Boyd's firing), and brought back some older tunes, etc. It was honestly a pretty good year of DMB.

2019 felt like a real downer. Performances weren't as good, you started to really notice the things Buddy does that were irritating, they seemed to jam more covers in Jimi down your throat, the sets were stale, and truncated Last Stop.

So while I agree with most of the DMB 4.0 takes in here, I can't fully agree because I enjoy a lot of what we got in 2018.
sean52692 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 10:41 PM   #125
DIDO36

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean52692 View Post
Anyone else feel a real divide in 2018 vs 2019? I personally feel a lot of 2018 had a refreshing quality to it. Boyd was gone and quite frankly Buddy took off running and the band sounded really good for most of that year. Early sets in May were well received as well as the Fall tour was. I actually felt the band was doing all they could given the circumstances to make the music interesting again. They slowed things down, made changes to solos (although this was necessary given Boyd's firing), and brought back some older tunes, etc. It was honestly a pretty good year of DMB.

2019 felt like a real downer. Performances weren't as good, you started to really notice the things Buddy does that were irritating, they seemed to jam more covers in Jimi down your throat, the sets were stale, and truncated Last Stop.

So while I agree with most of the DMB 4.0 takes in here, I can't fully agree because I enjoy a lot of what we got in 2018.
I’ve noticed this too. The band was really sounding good in 2018. I just listened to live trax 46, and it’s a great sounding show. In 2019 sounded flat and uninspired. I think they come out in 2022 or whatever sounding fresh again. Unfortunately they are really starting to get too damn old. Especially Carter.
DIDO36 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 11:12 PM   #126
Tomacco

The repetitive song choices in 2019 especially in the first half of the year was the real issue with 2019.
Tomacco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 10:03 AM   #127
patsfan39

I think i started feeling the band was stale in the Winter 2018 tour. Those first few nights, thru MSG, felt like they were trying something but by the time i saw them in NH and Boston (shows 5 and 7 of the tour) it was essentially the same show. I remember NH being a bland show, but i was ok with it because it was a small venue on a Tuesday. I dont expect anything from this band on off nights like that. But when i saw them in Boston on a friday night and the energy in the building was very palpable, they played a dud. The only unique thing from the show was Bartender and thats not anything close to a rarity.

To top it off, it didnt really feel that different from the shows i saw that summer or in 2019. So, I compared my shows between Mansfield 18 & 19, Hartford 18 & 19, Boston winter 18 and Manchester winter 18 and there was a surprising number of repeats. Im not going to bore you with the stats, but essentially 75% of those shows were repeated across each other. So feeling like i saw the same show, was really because i actually did just see the same show.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mersh View Post
bkdkbbkkddd

the letters he draws with his tongue.
patsfan39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 11:13 AM   #128
JimBeam41

Quote:
Originally Posted by patsfan39 View Post
I think i started feeling the band was stale in the Winter 2018 tour. Those first few nights, thru MSG, felt like they were trying something but by the time i saw them in NH and Boston (shows 5 and 7 of the tour) it was essentially the same show. I remember NH being a bland show, but i was ok with it because it was a small venue on a Tuesday. I dont expect anything from this band on off nights like that. But when i saw them in Boston on a friday night and the energy in the building was very palpable, they played a dud. The only unique thing from the show was Bartender and thats not anything close to a rarity.
The Philly winter 2018 show was a very boring show. Also, the venue was 1/2 full.
Old 02-16-2021, 11:32 AM   #129
Fan#41

Only thing I remember from the NH show is I really enjoyed that Seek Up. The Boston show was not that good either. I honestly don't remember anything else from that show other than standing next to a girl who was talking to her friend saying her first show was that summer and I remember thinking how wild it is that people are seeing shows now who have never seen the band with, even forgetting Roi, but never seen the band even with Boyd.
Fan#41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 11:46 AM   #130
dmb1981

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan#41 View Post
Only thing I remember from the NH show is I really enjoyed that Seek Up. The Boston show was not that good either. I honestly don't remember anything else from that show other than standing next to a girl who was talking to her friend saying her first show was that summer and I remember thinking how wild it is that people are seeing shows now who have never seen the band with, even forgetting Roi, but never seen the band even with Boyd.
That's wild man. Who would have thought in looking back to the good times. I remember in the summer of 2000 at those two Alpine shows thinking how insanely good these guys are and that I really hope they never stop, this is way too much fun.
Old 02-16-2021, 01:10 PM   #131
Tomacco

I really enjoyed the Fall 2018 tour... meaning, I only listened to Columbus, Montreal and Charlottesville, and attended both MSG shows. I conveniently never really noticed how dull some of the shows that tour were.
Tomacco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 01:19 PM   #132
dmb1981

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomacco View Post
I really enjoyed the Fall 2018 tour... meaning, I only listened to Columbus, Montreal and Charlottesville, and attended both MSG shows. I conveniently never really noticed how dull some of the shows that tour were.
I was at Montreal and it was a solid show.
Old 02-16-2021, 02:53 PM   #133
patsfan39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan#41 View Post
BOWA was very good too, but unfortunately thats where the highlights ended for me. #41 in the encore was cool as well, but i dont remember anything from it. It was the only show i have a setlist from, i remember being told to come after the show so once grey street started i just stood next to the sound guy, he handed it to me when they started the outro.

Quote:
bkdkbbkkddd

the letters he draws with his tongue.
patsfan39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 07:23 PM   #134
Jack
Grand Army of Letters

That Boston show was fucking horrid. Really disappointing, because I had really enjoyed the Mansfield show that summer.

Another child that's grown old
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 07:27 PM   #135
greykitkat36

I do feel really bad for people who never got to see DMB pre-2010, they really missed the magic of it all. I have friends who want to see them for the first time in 2022 or whenever things com back, and I’m kind of telling them not to bother because it’s just not the same. They’re gonna be like “this is the band you’ve seen 40 times? Really don’t get it” and they won’t because 4.0 is not a band I’d see 40 times, probably not more than 1-2 times if I wasn’t already a diehard chasing songs.
Old 02-16-2021, 08:17 PM   #136
Jack
Grand Army of Letters

Sadly, most fans never saw dmb as the original 5 with no guests. I mean, the last time that happened was 20 YEARS AGO! What was it, 5/8/01? And even before that it was few and far between outside of fall ‘00 after ‘97.

Old 02-16-2021, 08:45 PM   #137
willndmb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
Sadly, most fans never saw dmb as the original 5 with no guests. I mean, the last time that happened was 20 YEARS AGO! What was it, 5/8/01? And even before that it was few and far between outside of fall ‘00 after ‘97.
I have said this for a long time now, feel bad for people who never got to experience it.
willndmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 08:52 PM   #138
Mersh

Quote:
Originally Posted by greykitkat36 View Post
I do feel really bad for people who never got to see DMB pre-2010, they really missed the magic of it all. I have friends who want to see them for the first time in 2022 or whenever things com back, and I’m kind of telling them not to bother because it’s just not the same. They’re gonna be like “this is the band you’ve seen 40 times? Really don’t get it” and they won’t because 4.0 is not a band I’d see 40 times, probably not more than 1-2 times if I wasn’t already a diehard chasing songs.
I’d go even earlier...pre-2000. Glad I was able to see them from 1994 on.
Mersh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 08:54 PM   #139
soups
bla bla bla sandwich

Quote:
I’d go even earlier...pre-2000. Glad I was able to see them from 1994 on.
yes. 1996-2000 for me. I missed some of the halcyon days.
soups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 09:15 PM   #140
Jack
Grand Army of Letters

5/12/01 was the last time they ever played together with no guests. Samsonite, I was way off.

These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc