These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 02-04-2021, 01:26 PM   #61
Mersh

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmb1981 View Post
Really? I certainly do. If they changed nightly or every 3-4 shows, things would be a hell of a lot more fun.
How many bands completely rearrange tunes every 3-4 shows? Seems a bit much as far as asks go.
Mersh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 01:27 PM   #62
Mersh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
The music used to speak for itself. Now theyíve made everything so Ďbigí in a weird way to make it special for people at shows. Itís become like a generic (but talented) rock band covering dmb. I listen to one of those Ď19 releases and feel absolutely nothing. I put on that Ď96 Sirius show and can still feel the magic. I donít blame dmb. roi died and boyd lost his way. It wasnít really a choice to end up like this. Although dave oddly made that party band comment like he never wanted to be taken seriously.
Yup, agree with all of this.
Old 02-05-2021, 12:47 AM   #63
jsandr
sometimes your well is dry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomacco View Post
2018/19 forced a bunch of shakeups in terms of soloing and jams:
LIOG - Tim and Buddy solo
Jimi Thing - Tim and Buddy solo before the horn duel, and different cover endings
Bayou - Buddy solo
Billies - Jeff solo
Grace is Gone - Buddy solo
Nancies - Tim solo
#41 - Rashawn and Tim solo
LITHOG - Buddy solo and ABI outro
Ants - everyone solos
Crush - Rashawn solos
Two Step - this song actually has changed, not sure what youíre on about. IMO it changed for the worse because it became truncated with a new ending in 2014/15, and with almost no ending in 2019.

I agree it would be nice if other songs got changed up, and in general if they changed them up more often, but that has never been the case in any period of DMB. The solos on songs generally stay the same for years.

I think the subtext to a lot of peopleís dissatisfaction is that electric guitar, keys and trumpet are obviously pretty prominent now (see above), and none of those are the quintessential DMB sound.
And youíd be correct to feel that way. This is not the same band. Half the band has changed, and thatís just a fact.
Two step has changed for the worse over the past 5 years.. My ideal is either LT 47 w/ bela OR fall 98. Those 11-12 minute versions with a short tim solo were ideal. Love the WH5 v1 version. 2008 has some similarly structured versions that are great.
Old 02-05-2021, 10:17 AM   #64
Tomacco

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsandr View Post
Two step has changed for the worse over the past 5 years.. My ideal is either LT 47 w/ bela OR fall 98. Those 11-12 minute versions with a short tim solo were ideal. Love the WH5 v1 version. 2008 has some similarly structured versions that are great.
Agree on Two Step.

I loved 2008 Two Step. That 5/31/08 tour debut opener version is stellar.
June 08 in general was great for it. Two Step in 2003 was also fantastic. I've timestamped the jam on this Gorge one. Check it out:

Tomacco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 10:54 AM   #65
jeff1818

I was at the 5/31/08 show! I don't remember that Two Step though. I do remember the wild encores though. I need to revisit this show soon. I remember heading to the show with all sorts of rumors going around about Butch leaving and Tim being there. Fun times!
jeff1818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 10:57 AM   #66
Tomacco

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff1818 View Post
I was at the 5/31/08 show! I don't remember that Two Step though. I do remember the wild encores though. I need to revisit this show soon. I remember heading to the show with all sorts of rumors going around about Butch leaving and Tim being there. Fun times!
After years of long drawn out Two Step jams, that 5/31/08 one just busted into a high energy drum-intense jam with Tim soloing all over it, and horns accentuating. Was pretty amazing.
Old 02-05-2021, 11:47 AM   #67
dmb1981

Quote:
After years of long drawn out Two Step jams, that 5/31/08 one just busted into a high energy drum-intense jam with Tim soloing all over it, and horns accentuating. Was pretty amazing.
18 min Two Steps every night please. With a vicious 5 min Drum and Keys jam.
Old 02-05-2021, 12:07 PM   #68
Tomacco

Quote:
18 min Two Steps every night please. With a vicious 5 min Drum and Keys jam.
That's basically the one I posted above from Gorge 2003, which might be my fave. I didn't really like the extended Carter solos in 2009-2013 though, which IMO lost the song's momentum almost always. But I hate long drum solos in pretty much any instance.
Old 02-06-2021, 11:44 AM   #69
TheNoise
Mr. DMB, I don't feel so good.

Quote:
Yes, yes yes. I absolutely love this one.
TheNoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 11:47 AM   #70
dmb1981

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNoise View Post
Yes, yes yes. I absolutely love this one.
I was there, up close too. That was an amazing version. Unfortunately it didn’t last that way very long. Tim came flying out of the gate.
Old 02-07-2021, 12:54 PM   #71
Poth Ead
Stay boring my friends...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweeps View Post
You're missing out on some great sets.
I mean... there are always exceptions That setlist looks so pretty on paper though but the lineup performing those older tunes, I don't listen to them with a close ear. And the newer material while I really liked it at first, hasn't had staying power for me e.g. Again and Again
Poth Ead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 01:20 PM   #72
jeff1818

If I don't download this, did it still happen?
Maybe next year they'll give us a 90s show
jeff1818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 06:59 PM   #73
greykitkat36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mersh View Post
For me it isn't subtext. Those are exactly the things I don't like about their sound now. I don't care about where solos are placed or what the arrangement of the tunes is.
As far as I'm concerned, the "sound" of the band (ala Electric guitar, keys and horn section) are here to stay so there's not much that can be done about that. They aren't going to "sound" like the old DMB anymore, and it that case, I'd like to see solos mixed up and changed more often to at least give some of the tunes more unpredictability. LIOG hasn't had a sax solo since the mid-90s, would be nice to bring that back, take Tim and/or Buddy out and try it.
Old 02-09-2021, 08:00 PM   #74
Mersh

Quote:
Originally Posted by greykitkat36 View Post
As far as I'm concerned, the "sound" of the band (ala Electric guitar, keys and horn section) are here to stay so there's not much that can be done about that. They aren't going to "sound" like the old DMB anymore, and it that case, I'd like to see solos mixed up and changed more often to at least give some of the tunes more unpredictability. LIOG hasn't had a sax solo since the mid-90s, would be nice to bring that back, take Tim and/or Buddy out and try it.
But you arenít going to get that stuff because that isnít what they do. We canít say, they arenít going to sound like the old DMB (which, of course they arenít), it also, they should play LIOG they way they did in 95 with a sax solo.
Old 02-09-2021, 08:24 PM   #75
greykitkat36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mersh View Post
But you aren’t going to get that stuff because that isn’t what they do. We can’t say, they aren’t going to sound like the old DMB (which, of course they aren’t), it also, they should play LIOG they way they did in 95 with a sax solo.
Oh I know it's not going to happen, but it's a hell of a lot easier for them to just mix up the solo spots of certain songs that it would be to drop Rashawn, make Tim play acoustic, hire a new violin player etc. My hope is much more realistic, even if the reality is that it's still practically 0 percent chance

Like they could easily just say, "hey, jeff, you take solo in LIOG this summer instead of Tim." That's literally it. I'm also tired of hearing Tim on 41. The no sax solo in that song is the biggest scam of all time.

But like, even for Seek Up, it'd be awesome to have maybe Tim take the intro instead of the horns, and then let Jeff do a solo where Boyd's usually would be before Dave's big wail. These things would take 30 seconds to change, and I'm just surprised they literally do the same thing year in year out on 90% of the songs.
Old 02-09-2021, 08:55 PM   #76
dmb1981

Quote:
Oh I know it's not going to happen, but it's a hell of a lot easier for them to just mix up the solo spots of certain songs that it would be to drop Rashawn, make Tim play acoustic, hire a new violin player etc. My hope is much more realistic, even if the reality is that it's still practically 0 percent chance

Like they could easily just say, "hey, jeff, you take solo in LIOG this summer instead of Tim." That's literally it. I'm also tired of hearing Tim on 41. The no sax solo in that song is the biggest scam of all time.

But like, even for Seek Up, it'd be awesome to have maybe Tim take the intro instead of the horns, and then let Jeff do a solo where Boyd's usually would be before Dave's big wail. These things would take 30 seconds to change, and I'm just surprised they literally do the same thing year in year out on 90% of the songs.
Couldnít agree more with all of this.
Old 02-10-2021, 09:48 AM   #77
Fan#41

Someone hoping the band switches every solo spot is not being realistic.
Fan#41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 09:55 AM   #78
Tomacco

Quote:
I'm just surprised they literally do the same thing year in year out on 90% of the songs.
If this surprises you, I would recommend you never see more than 1 concert by 95% of bands on earth, because you're gonna be disappointed.
Old 02-10-2021, 12:43 PM   #79
dmb1981

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan#41 View Post
Someone hoping the band switches every solo spot is not being realistic.
Nightly? For sure not. Tour by tour? Yes, a definite expectation from a group like this. Otherwise, how boring for them, (and us), no?
Old 02-10-2021, 12:46 PM   #80
Mersh

Quote:
Nightly? For sure not. Tour by tour? Yes, a definite expectation from a group like this. Otherwise, how boring for them, (and us), no?
Not being an ass here, but are you familiar with DMBís body of work?

These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc