These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 02-03-2021, 09:23 AM   #41
dmb448

Interesting show. You are right they are trying to push the new line-up of the band much more now during this time.

Has anyone gotten it yet? I would like a PM please when someone is able to get it. Thanks.
dmb448 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 09:29 AM   #42
Tomacco

So, given we're not gonna be buying tickets to anything this year, my Warehouse fees I'm paying this year are essentially buying me a show I don't want, and a release I already have. Thanks Warehouse.
Tomacco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 09:30 AM   #43
Jack
Grand Army of Letters

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmb448 View Post
Interesting show. You are right they are trying to push the new line-up of the band much more now during this time.

Has anyone gotten it yet? I would like a PM please when someone is able to get it. Thanks.
If I read the email right, the earliest people will have access to this is at the end of this month.

Another child that's grown old
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 09:31 AM   #44
Jack
Grand Army of Letters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomacco View Post
So, given we're not gonna be buying tickets to anything this year, my Warehouse fees I'm paying this year are essentially buying me a show I don't want, and a release I already have. Thanks Warehouse.
I feel this 1,000x. I think it is total garbage and an insult to us as members. Recycling the D&C session was extremely weak.

Old 02-03-2021, 09:50 AM   #45
Mersh

Quote:
Yup, completely agree with this.
Mersh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 09:50 AM   #46
Tomacco

I have to assume they're planning something. Two years in a row without touring is a disaster for them. The Drive-In shows this year should be on weekends, and be actual live streamed concerts by the full band. They can sell tickets for those.

But who am I kidding, this is DMB. They're not that innovative.
Old 02-03-2021, 10:06 AM   #47
Mersh

Quote:
I have to assume they're planning something. Two years in a row without touring is a disaster for them. The Drive-In shows this year should be on weekends, and be actual live streamed concerts by the full band. They can sell tickets for those.

But who am I kidding, this is DMB. They're not that innovative.
Also, I have little to no interest in watching this unless they mix it up, do acoustic sets, etc.
Old 02-03-2021, 11:01 AM   #48
Tomacco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mersh View Post
Also, I have little to no interest in watching this unless they mix it up, do acoustic sets, etc.
Given the fact that Dave/D&C played Dodo, Halloween, PFWYG, Cry Freedom, LLD, Loving Wings, Seek Up, Proudest Monkey, IBYU, Stone, Pig, etc etc last year - plus SUAD full band - I'm very curious to see what setlists would look like though.
Old 02-03-2021, 11:32 AM   #49
dmb1981

Quote:
Agree. If there going to play the same old stuff, same jams, same solo spots, etc, I really don't have much interest. I'd do a couple max to check it out. There needs to be a revamp or something different like acoustic stuff thrown into the sets.
Old 02-03-2021, 11:39 AM   #50
DMBCLSTJ

You're basically paying to keep your seniority, as if that matters anymore.
DMBCLSTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 12:06 PM   #51
Steveo Style

Correct. And I’ll throw them $35 to keep seniority and get these two releases. But I can see why that’s a difficult proposition as well.
Steveo Style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 12:08 PM   #52
dmb1981

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMBCLSTJ View Post
You're basically paying to keep your seniority, as if that matters anymore.
It doesn't really matter, but worse than that is that they give nothing in terms of perks. I gave up mine 10 years ago. I don't need it, I get better seats last minute or through my buddy at LN. The Warehouse gives their members nothing. And that's the problem. This 2019 show is a joke.
Old 02-03-2021, 11:48 PM   #53
greykitkat36

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmb1981 View Post
Agree. If there going to play the same old stuff, same jams, same solo spots, etc, I really don't have much interest. I'd do a couple max to check it out. There needs to be a revamp or something different like acoustic stuff thrown into the sets.
Agreed, but I feel this way about going to see them live as well. ALL of the songs need total revamps in terms of the solos/structure etc. They've remained pretty much unchanged for over a decade now, aside from 41, which changed for the worse. The band used to change up the jams for these songs every couple years, now it's literally rinse repeat. Two Step used to change every 2-3 years, its been almost identical since '08 minus that one year they added "higher ground" into it.

But I also don't want interpolations that become tagged to the song every single time either. I'd like to hear different members take solos on songs they currently don't.
-Give Jeff the Two Step and LIOG solo,
- give Tim a solo on Billies and Bayou or something.
-Let Buddy take the solo on #41 instead of Tim,
-Get rid of the Sax/Trumpet battle in Seek Up and Typical and put those battles in some different songs.

It's really not asking for much. I'd like to see them really extend Squirm too like Last Stop/Minarets and let Jeff take that outro to somewhere new. There's just little experimentation now with the music, that it's super stale. Adding a cover song into the song isn't experimentation, it's tacky and overdone. That's ok every once in a while, but they used to actually experiment and try things out, and now they just don't seem to have an interest in doing that.

Like....could you imagine the band playing a song like Loving Wings live debut these days? A song that's almost entirely a jam? I don't. They don't even really roadtest songs now, they pretty much write them cold in the studio and then perform them verbatim and it's just not who they are imo.
Old 02-04-2021, 07:04 AM   #54
Jack
Grand Army of Letters

The music used to speak for itself. Now they’ve made everything so ‘big’ in a weird way to make it special for people at shows. It’s become like a generic (but talented) rock band covering dmb. I listen to one of those ‘19 releases and feel absolutely nothing. I put on that ‘96 Sirius show and can still feel the magic. I don’t blame dmb. roi died and boyd lost his way. It wasn’t really a choice to end up like this. Although dave oddly made that party band comment like he never wanted to be taken seriously.

Old 02-04-2021, 07:29 AM   #55
Tomacco

Quote:
Originally Posted by greykitkat36 View Post
Agreed, but I feel this way about going to see them live as well. ALL of the songs need total revamps in terms of the solos/structure etc. They've remained pretty much unchanged for over a decade now, aside from 41, which changed for the worse. The band used to change up the jams for these songs every couple years, now it's literally rinse repeat. Two Step used to change every 2-3 years, its been almost identical since '08 minus that one year they added "higher ground" into it.

But I also don't want interpolations that become tagged to the song every single time either. I'd like to hear different members take solos on songs they currently don't.
-Give Jeff the Two Step and LIOG solo,
- give Tim a solo on Billies and Bayou or something.
-Let Buddy take the solo on #41 instead of Tim,
-Get rid of the Sax/Trumpet battle in Seek Up and Typical and put those battles in some different songs.

It's really not asking for much. I'd like to see them really extend Squirm too like Last Stop/Minarets and let Jeff take that outro to somewhere new. There's just little experimentation now with the music, that it's super stale. Adding a cover song into the song isn't experimentation, it's tacky and overdone. That's ok every once in a while, but they used to actually experiment and try things out, and now they just don't seem to have an interest in doing that.

Like....could you imagine the band playing a song like Loving Wings live debut these days? A song that's almost entirely a jam? I don't. They don't even really roadtest songs now, they pretty much write them cold in the studio and then perform them verbatim and it's just not who they are imo.
2018/19 forced a bunch of shakeups in terms of soloing and jams:
LIOG - Tim and Buddy solo
Jimi Thing - Tim and Buddy solo before the horn duel, and different cover endings
Bayou - Buddy solo
Billies - Jeff solo
Grace is Gone - Buddy solo
Nancies - Tim solo
#41 - Rashawn and Tim solo
LITHOG - Buddy solo and ABI outro
Ants - everyone solos
Crush - Rashawn solos
Two Step - this song actually has changed, not sure what you’re on about. IMO it changed for the worse because it became truncated with a new ending in 2014/15, and with almost no ending in 2019.

I agree it would be nice if other songs got changed up, and in general if they changed them up more often, but that has never been the case in any period of DMB. The solos on songs generally stay the same for years.

I think the subtext to a lot of people’s dissatisfaction is that electric guitar, keys and trumpet are obviously pretty prominent now (see above), and none of those are the quintessential DMB sound.
And you’d be correct to feel that way. This is not the same band. Half the band has changed, and that’s just a fact.
Old 02-04-2021, 08:54 AM   #56
Mersh

For me it isn't subtext. Those are exactly the things I don't like about their sound now. I don't care about where solos are placed or what the arrangement of the tunes is.
Old 02-04-2021, 09:59 AM   #57
Tomacco

Quote:
For me it isn't subtext. Those are exactly the things I don't like about their sound now. I don't care about where solos are placed or what the arrangement of the tunes is.
yeah subtext wasn't the right word. For a lot of people it's very much text.
Old 02-04-2021, 10:11 AM   #58
willndmb

Quote:
Given the fact that Dave/D&C played Dodo, Halloween, PFWYG, Cry Freedom, LLD, Loving Wings, Seek Up, Proudest Monkey, IBYU, Stone, Pig, etc etc last year - plus SUAD full band - I'm very curious to see what setlists would look like though.
Imo solo and d&t sets are almost always better than full band.
Doesnít surprise me one bit d&c was pretty solid

Personally I think a lot of that has to do with newer songs sucking and not as solid solo to begin with.
I mean (brain freeze) Dave doesnít even play in parts of it and stands there holding his guitar
willndmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 11:54 AM   #59
dmb1981

Quote:
Really? I certainly do. If they changed nightly or every 3-4 shows, things would be a hell of a lot more fun.
Old 02-04-2021, 01:20 PM   #60
sean52692
You failed this band

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
The music used to speak for itself. Now theyíve made everything so Ďbigí in a weird way to make it special for people at shows. Itís become like a generic (but talented) rock band covering dmb. I listen to one of those Ď19 releases and feel absolutely nothing. I put on that Ď96 Sirius show and can still feel the magic. I donít blame dmb. roi died and boyd lost his way. It wasnít really a choice to end up like this. Although dave oddly made that party band comment like he never wanted to be taken seriously.
Very well said. Since it's been many years since Roi died and a few years since Boyd left, there is even more magic in classic DMB shows.
sean52692 is offline   Reply With Quote

These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc