These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > nDMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 04-05-2021, 09:13 PM   #8641
Josh.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
I The people who lost the businesses they spent their lives building.

Last I checked I took a 60% paycut as a result of lockdown efforts. I had a nice little LLC that lost its multi-year contract and about 500 others along with me lost theirs as well. It took me over a decade to work into that position. I then had to move across the country for a new position that paid far far less (though the long-term prospects are better) and leave an area I really enjoyed. I moved away from probably a dozen relatively close friendships I’d built in the last half decade.

I’ll come out better on the other side because I played my hand the right way over the last year, but yeah: I’d say I thought we took lockdowns pretty seriously.

Edit: Oh, then I got the damn thing, felt a little off for a week and a bit dizzy for one night, lost my sense of taste and smell for about ten days, and then kicked it without any real problems. Yes, I recognize others don’t, but I’d say I’ve paid my COVID-19 tab.
tolerance noun (ACCEPTANCE)
willingness to accept behavior and beliefs that are different from your own, although you might not agree with or approve of them.
Josh.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 09:14 PM   #8642
gweeps
homesick android

Quote:
As to your second point, you’re right. Which is why I think your post last week about the origins of the virus was a question worth asking. We may find out years from now, we probably never will. But while I don’t have a strong opinion, I think it is foolish to take anything off the table, no matter how ridiculous it may seem.
Yes, but to my knowledge, we've also never had a coronavirus pandemic before.

Mother Nature definitely has her own secret recipes.
Old 04-05-2021, 09:22 PM   #8643
Josh.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweeps View Post

Mother Nature definitely has her own secret recipes.
MERS and SARS are coronaviruses, though I guess technically those were epidemics.
willingness to accept behavior and beliefs that are different from your own, although you might not agree with or approve of them.
Old 04-05-2021, 09:26 PM   #8644
gweeps
homesick android

Doesn't MERS also have a much worse fatality rate?
Old 04-05-2021, 09:26 PM   #8645
Josh.0

Yes, I believe they both do. But they’re also far, far less transmissible.
Old 04-05-2021, 09:28 PM   #8646
gweeps
homesick android

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh.0 View Post
Well that's something to be thankful for!
Old 04-05-2021, 09:29 PM   #8647
Josh.0

Yup.

They’ve found robust COVID-19 T Cell markers in SARS and MERS patients that are over a decade old, which is why there’s so much optimism that immunity is long-term once vaccinated/infected with COVID-19. Same family of viruses. History tells us once you’ve been infected with a coronavirus your body remembers that sonofabitch for a long, long time.
Old 04-05-2021, 09:29 PM   #8648
Jack
Grand Army of Letters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubs View Post
I need to do a better job at recognizing individual states responses. I think because I’m in Nashville and my parents are in Atlanta, I’ve kind of generalized how I think states are handling it. That’s my bad.
Yea, my mom hugged my kids for the first time in 14 months yesterday. They had seen her from her deck once, about 15 feet away, but that was it. At her age, and my kid’s age, that amount of time could have been the difference between them really remembering her at all when they are grown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweeps View Post
I think I remember reading that corona viruses are relatively newly discovered / categorized virus for humans. Last 50 years or so. So they were guessing we may have had them before, but not known it.

I’m still amazed that the 1918 flu eventually jumper back to humans as the swine flu.

Another child that's grown old
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 09:33 PM   #8649
Jack
Grand Army of Letters

Quote:
Also there is no asymptomatic spread with those as well, no? I thought that was a major reason those never became pandemics. They were much more containable.

Old 04-05-2021, 09:34 PM   #8650
jeff1818

what's funny about reading about variants: how will knowing of the next deadly mutation change anything? you're either taking things safely by getting vaccinated and masking up or you're out partying like it's 1999. sure, a mega variant could cause you to lock yourself indoors again, but at this point variant news is just to cause fear and stir the pot. we've chosen our sides, there isn't much we can do. this isn't to say that we shouldn't be knowledgeable and stay current.
jeff1818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 09:36 PM   #8651
Josh.0

I think that’s pretty much what Mersh was trying to say too. And I agree.
Old 04-05-2021, 09:38 PM   #8652
Josh.0

Quote:
Also there is no asymptomatic spread with those as well, no? I thought that was a major reason those never became pandemics. They were much more containable.
That’s a good question, I can’t remember off the top of my head but I believe that is correct. I think I read something similar, which is what stoked all of the concern with asymptomatic spread and COVID-19.
Old 04-05-2021, 11:05 PM   #8653
mario

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff1818 View Post
what's funny about reading about variants: how will knowing of the next deadly mutation change anything? you're either taking things safely by getting vaccinated and masking up or you're out partying like it's 1999. sure, a mega variant could cause you to lock yourself indoors again, but at this point variant news is just to cause fear and stir the pot. we've chosen our sides, there isn't much we can do. this isn't to say that we shouldn't be knowledgeable and stay current.

Maybe, perhaps, eventually, people will actually act according to information rather than ignore in favor of just being positive?

This whole pandemic has been about bludgeoning people over the head with information until they finally accepted reality. You don't see anyone claiming the pandemic is fake anymore, masks don't work, ET ceterra

Talking about variants will eventually make people realize that it's not okay to be a host for mutations, it's fucking dangerous.

While Jack talks above about how mutations don't evolve to kill hosts for natural reasons, that's not the whole story. Mutations do evolve to kill hosts, but they just die out quickly as a resul. (of course, when you have a virus with a ten day incubation period while being contagious....)

So maybe just a varient will evolve and kill off eighty thousand people in Miami before burning itself out?
mario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 04:56 AM   #8654
Dubs

Quote:
Those were purely droplet transmission, and the spike protein wasn’t a perfect match for our ACE2 receptors like this virus is. Literally this virus is like the perfect storm.
Old 04-06-2021, 07:27 AM   #8655
Jack
Grand Army of Letters

Quote:
Originally Posted by mario View Post
You don't see anyone claiming the pandemic is fake anymore, masks don't work, ET ceterra
Uhh, I have some news for you...

Old 04-06-2021, 07:40 AM   #8656
Josh.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubs View Post
Those were purely droplet transmission, and the spike protein wasn’t a perfect match for our ACE2 receptors like this virus is. Literally this virus is like the perfect storm.
I mostly agree with this, though I think an actual “perfect storm” in terms of crushing humanity is an IFR much much higher than ~0.10-0.15.

I understand the concept that viruses don’t actually want to kill people because they’d run out of hosts and kill themselves, but from the perspective of “how much is this really a threat to humanity,” we could have done much, much, much worse. Like an IFR along the lines of MERS (~35%) with the transmissibility of COVID-19.

Under that scenario we don’t have 550K dead, we have probably ~40 million dead.
Old 04-06-2021, 08:21 AM   #8657
Jack
Grand Army of Letters

Quote:
I understand the concept that viruses don’t actually want to kill people because they’d run out of hosts and kill themselves, but from the perspective of “how much is this really a threat to humanity,” we could have done much, much, much worse. Like an IFR along the lines of MERS (~35%) with the transmissibility of COVID-19.
They’ll get it right next time. This was just a test balloon

Old 04-06-2021, 08:27 AM   #8658
Josh.0

Quote:
They’ll get it right next time. This was just a test balloon

If so they may be too late...

If t-cell markers from the COVID-19 vaccines offer cross-immunity to MERS and SARS the way MERS and SARS t-cell markers appear to offer immunity to COVID-19, we may have just wiped out (or at least significantly reduced the transmissibility of) all three. That’s entirely speculation, but I know for certain the idea has been floated in some research communities.
Old 04-06-2021, 09:38 AM   #8659
Dubs

I just meant along the lines of transmissibility. We got lucky SARS and MERS didn’t have this spike protein.

It is kind of intriguing though with this vaccine we could possibly have some immunity to those viruses and the common cold viruses. Would be great if these vaccines actually cured the common cold.
Old 04-06-2021, 12:12 PM   #8660
Josh.0

Hmm, you sure about that? Per this study MERS does utilize a spike protein, though I’m now sure how it may differ. Looking at SARS now, but keep getting SAR-CoV hits so it’s hard to validate.

[Only registered users can see links.]

These Days Continue > The Continuation > nDMBc