These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > nDMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 04-05-2021, 03:48 PM   #8601
mario

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mersh [Only registered users can see links.] Again, I am not telling you what you should do. I am saying that people are going to continue to spread this, young people will continue to party, etc.

I can’t see any state gov nor the federal gov order people to stay in their homes. My only point is that I think some of the solutions you are calling for won’t happen...I’m not making judgements about you or the ideas just that I believe they are unrealistic in terms of political, social, and economic will.
These are statements made three times now. In May. In August. And now in April.

There is political will. There is popular will. There are established, effective methods. You just keep saying "it's not going to happen" without any particular reason why.

There's a tidal wave coming, again.

We have never managed to be PROactive to the inevitability we could see coming. We have always been REactive to exploding case counts and hospitalizations.

We will, once again, be REactive as this swells.
mario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 03:58 PM   #8602
Mersh

This is in line with what I have been saying IMO. At least the last few sentences.
Mersh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 04:02 PM   #8603
mario

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaphod! View Post
The Pandemic's Wrongest Man
In a crowded field of wrongness, one person stands out: Alex Berenson.

[Only registered users can see links.]

npr interview with atlantic columnist, if reading isn't your thing: [Only registered users can see links.]

thankfully nobody ever pushed berenson's crap here. (don't search for "berenson" in this thread, just take my word for it)
Not going to feed the trolls but was curious what I posted about him in this thread...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mario View Post
Josh's idiot, Alex Berenson, found a new even more spectacular (than his ridiculous book) way to embarrass himself this week:

The next day I emailed to ask when I could expect his answers, and yesterday morning he sent them. I read his responses, formulated follow-up questions, and sent them back. He was not happy with that.

The full Q&A and unanswered follow up questions are here in their [Only registered users can see links.]

Quote:
Yeah, he's a fucking crackpot and Josh is parroting his unfounded opinions.

He is the author of the controversial 2019 book Tell Your Children: The Truth About Marijuana, Mental Illness and Violence that has been denounced as alarmist and inaccurate by many in the scientific and medical communities because of his claims that cannabis causes psychosis and violence; many scientists state that he is drawing inappropriate conclusions from the research, primarily by inferring causation from correlation,[3]:1[4]:1[5]:1[6]:1 as well as cherry picking[7]:1 data that fits his narrative, and falling victim to selection bias via his use of anecdotes[7]:1 to back up his assertions.[5]:1[6]:1[4]:1[8]:1[9]
Just another "outside the box of science" thinker

Proud of me!
Old 04-05-2021, 04:04 PM   #8604
mario

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mersh View Post
This is in line with what I have been saying IMO. At least the last few sentences.
I'm saying, here are the first swells, get ready for the REaction. And you respond "it's not going to happen".

So I'm confused.
Old 04-05-2021, 04:18 PM   #8605
Mersh

That isn’t what I said. There will be reactions of course, but we aren’t returning to March 2020 any time soon IMO. I simply don’t think we will go into nationwide full lockdowns where people get arrested for going outside their homes. If I am wrong then so be it, but I don’t see that happening. I am not painting myself as an expert here, just talking.

As I just came back from a walk in my neighborhood where all sorts of people are outside unmasked and not distanced. Teenagers playing basketball, neighbors hanging out, etc.
Old 04-05-2021, 04:19 PM   #8606
jeff1818

While it is infuriating to hear about people partying when they are sick with covid or going to bars and not giving an F if they infect 100s of people and is unsettling to hear about the double variant, but WE ARE VACCINATING AS FAST AS WE CAN. We just have to make do and realize that it isn't going to change. What about the triple death variant that's coming from Russia in April?! We have to move on in some compacity.
jeff1818 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 04:21 PM   #8607
DMBCLSTJ

Quote:
I'm saying, here are the first swells, get ready for the REaction. And you respond "it's not going to happen".

So I'm confused.
We have vaccine's now Mario. I know you know that, so I won't insinuate you don't.

That changes, well everything. Particularly when you see the incredible numbers of needles in arms in the last 2 weeks or so. Easter, a huge holiday, 2.1M got vaccinated. That is a big deal. 4 Million the day before. 161 Million thus far in total. The reason why you may see some here a bit more cavalier about a possible 4th wave, is that we are being proactive now, by getting vaccinated and still masking up/distancing. What else are you really looking for? Lockdowns? Give it a rest already and think positive.
DMBCLSTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 04:21 PM   #8608
Mersh

Right, I’m not condoning large unmasked gatherings in bars, I am just saying there will be a segment of the population who keeps doing this.
Old 04-05-2021, 04:28 PM   #8609
jeff1818

I for one cannot wait until mid-May when I'm fully vaccinated. I'm gonna chill in the park with a beverage.
Old 04-05-2021, 04:44 PM   #8610
typsitch
setlist communist by necessity

You know you could chill in the park with a beverage right now, right?
typsitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 04:48 PM   #8611
zaphod!
for josh:

Pretty sure we ought to be waiting for a sufficient number of people to have been vaccinated before we each individually start living as if this thing is over. There's a term for this threshold.. something like flock protection or whatever. Probably just some woke left theory anyway, amirite?
zaphod! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 04:49 PM   #8612
Mersh

If people want to wait until they are vaccinated, no big deal.
Old 04-05-2021, 04:51 PM   #8613
gweeps
homesick android

Until children start getting vaccinated, this pandemic isn't even close to being over. I'm going to bet Covid is taking over for the flu and we have to get to the point where we can get shots every year - or not. But have a herd immunity enough so that it won't matter about the few who decide not to for whatever reason.
Old 04-05-2021, 04:57 PM   #8614
Jack
Grand Army of Letters

Quote:
Pretty sure we ought to be waiting for a sufficient number of people to have been vaccinated before we each individually start living as if this thing is over. There's a term for this threshold.. something like flock protection or whatever. Probably just some woke left theory anyway, amirite?
I agree, but I think sitting outside having a beer in a park is probably about the safest thing someone can do outside of their house. I know Jeff has a medical issue, so I’m not saying he should, but I don’t think a healthy person doing that is exactly thumbing their nose at the pandemic.

Another child that's grown old
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 05:07 PM   #8615
jeff1818

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
I agree, but I think sitting outside having a beer in a park is probably about the safest thing someone can do outside of their house. I know Jeff has a medical issue, so I’m not saying he should, but I don’t think a healthy person doing that is exactly thumbing their nose at the pandemic.
I could do it now, but 1) I'm paranoid with tons of maskless people all over the place 2) I'll feel much more comfortable when I'm vaccinated. Especially with all of the 20-30 year olds walking all around me. I had asthma in the past and it's spooked me. There was an article (maybe on NPR) that mentioned how many people need to relearn their social skills. I'm definitely in that boat. Looking forward to it.
Old 04-05-2021, 05:08 PM   #8616
Mersh

Quote:
I agree, but this is not what I am seeing.
Old 04-05-2021, 05:54 PM   #8617
mario

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMBCLSTJ View Post
We have vaccine's now Mario. I know you know that, so I won't insinuate you don't.

That changes, well everything. Particularly when you see the incredible numbers of needles in arms in the last 2 weeks or so. Easter, a huge holiday, 2.1M got vaccinated. That is a big deal. 4 Million the day before. 161 Million thus far in total. The reason why you may see some here a bit more cavalier about a possible 4th wave, is that we are being proactive now, by getting vaccinated and still masking up/distancing. What else are you really looking for? Lockdowns? Give it a rest already and think positive.

Every. Single. Doctor. is saying vaccines won't arrive quickly enough to stop this 4th wave.

Osterholm was screaming from the mountaintops about it in January. I posted it in this very thread, in response to YOU particularly, in context of this very same exact complaint of yours:

Quote:
I'll continue forcing reality in front of the face of people who just want to be positive, and if I'm successful just a few times lives may be saved.

Like [Only registered users can see links.] :
Michael Osterholm [...] told NBC’s “[Only registered users can see links.] ” the U.S. may need to shift its vaccine strategy and focus on administering the first dose of the vaccine to as many people as possible instead of trying to get people their second dose.

“We do have to call an audible. I think there’s no doubt about it. The fact is that the surge that is likely to occur with this new variant from England is going to happen in the next six to 14 weeks, and if we see that happen, which my 45 years in the trenches tells us we will, we are going to see something like we have not seen yet in this country,” Osterholm said Sunday.

“That hurricane is coming. So I think we have to understand that because of this surge, we do have to call audible,” he said.

Guess what: We're at exactly Week 10 since his prediction on February 1st!

Ignoring medical advise is not "thinking positive". It's "ignorance".
Old 04-05-2021, 06:32 PM   #8618
gweeps
homesick android

Osterholm basically said that vaccinating everyone possible should be the goal, but do it systematically so you're not potentially leaving the most vulnerable people out in the cold. Delay the second dose of the mRNA vaccines, prioritize the elderly, etc.
Old 04-05-2021, 06:40 PM   #8619
DMBCLSTJ

Quote:
Every. Single. Doctor. is saying vaccines won't arrive quickly enough to stop this 4th wave.

Osterholm was screaming from the mountaintops about it in January. I posted it in this very thread, in response to YOU particularly, in context of this very same exact complaint of yours:

Guess what: We're at exactly Week 10 since his prediction on February 1st!

Ignoring medical advise is not "thinking positive". It's "ignorance".

10 weeks in! Great prediction. I predict in 10 weeks it will be close to summer. Of course there was going to be a surge, spring break is here. But you’re completely neglecting to mention how much progress we are making on the vaccine front. But yes, let’s chat about a 4th wave that won’t happen to the extent of the other 3.
DMBCLSTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 06:56 PM   #8620
Dubs

New dbl mutation found in California. From what I read it has the L452R mutation and the E484Q. Both can evade immune responses from natural antibodies, the vaccine, and monoclonal antibodies.

These Days Continue > The Continuation > nDMBc