These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 03-31-2021, 09:16 PM   #28001
Tomacco

I donít agree, I think they bungled the studio cut of BBN big time. Sounds weak and hollow to me. SMLAM studio cut sounds great studio, and less so live. Opposite problem as BBN.
Tomacco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 09:18 PM   #28002
gweeps
homesick android

AGREE TO DISAGREE!
Old 03-31-2021, 09:31 PM   #28003
sean52692
You failed this band

The next night was even better in spite of the BBN closer: [Only registered users can see links.]
Old 03-31-2021, 09:51 PM   #28004
Tomacco

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean52692 View Post
The next night was even better in spite of the BBN closer: [Only registered users can see links.]
Looks like a fun show. Have no memory of BBN ever closing a whole show. With Sister thatís a bad encore for sure. But good looking show.
Tomacco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 11:25 PM   #28005
greykitkat36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomacco View Post
I donít agree, I think they bungled the studio cut of BBN big time. Sounds weak and hollow to me. SMLAM studio cut sounds great studio, and less so live. Opposite problem as BBN.
Totally agree. BBN sounds super dry and just lifeless. Shake Me isnít a great song at all but I will say itís produced very well. Sounds very big and energetic and was a great opener to the album. BBN sounds like the band just played it live in the studio with no reverb and they just left it like that unedited.
Old 04-01-2021, 01:56 AM   #28006
soups
bla bla bla sandwich

Quote:
Originally Posted by greykitkat36 View Post
Totally agree. BBN sounds super dry and just lifeless. Shake Me isnít a great song at all but I will say itís produced very well. Sounds very big and energetic and was a great opener to the album. BBN sounds like the band just played it live in the studio with no reverb and they just left it like that unedited.
Yup. Both are meh, but SMLAM has balls as a recording.
soups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 01:18 PM   #28007
CRUSHsoccer15

Agreed, SMLAM is a great studio track.
Old 04-01-2021, 02:41 PM   #28008
dmb1981

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomacco View Post
I don’t agree, I think they bungled the studio cut of BBN big time. Sounds weak and hollow to me. SMLAM studio cut sounds great studio, and less so live. Opposite problem as BBN.
BBN -> SMLAM

BBN studio <- SMLAM studio

I like live. BBN is my jam over SMLAM.
Old 04-01-2021, 03:10 PM   #28009
dancetheham

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmb1981 View Post
BBN -> SMLAM

BBN studio <- SMLAM studio

I like live. BBN is my jam over SMLAM.
I know I'm being super pedantic here, but don't you mean BBN > SMLAM and BBN studio < SMLAM studio? You put arrows in between them instead of greater than/less than signs.

(Also, I agree.)
dancetheham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 06:32 PM   #28010
soups
bla bla bla sandwich

I don't see how anyone can think BBN is any good as a studio track. It has no depth. It sounds like Lillywhite was trying to recreate SMLAM and failed.

Oh well, it's cool that you guys are wrong
Old 04-01-2021, 06:38 PM   #28011
gweeps
homesick android

What you call no depth I call space, plus Dave's voice isn't processed to hell like on Shake Me.
Old 04-01-2021, 06:44 PM   #28012
soups
bla bla bla sandwich

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweeps View Post
What you call no depth I call space, plus Dave's voice isn't processed to hell like on Shake Me.
ok
Old 04-01-2021, 07:20 PM   #28013
gweeps
homesick android

Quote:
Originally Posted by soups View Post
ok
Friends?
Old 04-02-2021, 03:52 AM   #28014
NiCK (Crush)

Is The Last Stop DMB's most unique song?
Old 04-02-2021, 03:57 AM   #28015
dmblaststop

Quote:
Originally Posted by soups View Post
I don't see how anyone can think BBN is any good as a studio track. It has no depth. It sounds like Lillywhite was trying to recreate SMLAM and failed.

Oh well, it's cool that you guys are wrong
If the production/mix of BBN had the same approach as Broken Things and Rooftop, the lyrics would still be bad but it would at least have muscle. Everything is thinned out. Instead of being surrounded by guitars, weíre surrounded by all those backing vocals. Even Mercy has a richness and fullness that BBN lacks.
Old 04-02-2021, 06:29 AM   #28016
Steveo Style

I think Nancies is more unique
Steveo Style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 07:28 AM   #28017
soups
bla bla bla sandwich

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiCK (Crush) View Post
Is The Last Stop DMB's most unique song?
I actually think Minarets is more unique. There are a lot of unique songs in the catalogue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmblaststop View Post
If the production/mix of BBN had the same approach as Broken Things and Rooftop, the lyrics would still be bad but it would at least have muscle. Everything is thinned out. Instead of being surrounded by guitars, weíre surrounded by all those backing vocals. Even Mercy has a richness and fullness that BBN lacks.
Agreed
Old 04-02-2021, 08:18 AM   #28018
Fan#41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveo Style View Post
I think Nancies is more unique
Agreed.
Fan#41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 08:34 AM   #28019
Thrawn
You can't take the sky from me

Last Stop is way more structurally bizarre than Nancies or Minarets; not sure what we mean by "unique" but Minarets just has a verse progression with an occasional break, and Nancies has pretty typical verse / chorus / break structure + a jam at the end on the verse progression with a small coda. Lots of those in pop music.

Last Stop is fucking weird. Look at this. There are no repeating patterns anywhere! I've tried to break it into pieces but nothing is the same as anything else. The two "verse"s aren't the same, the three "chorus"es aren't the same... structurally, the only time the same exact structure appears twice happens with the second and third bridges.

Weird shit. Like, every time we go into the bridge, we do half of the first riff followed by the "this is the last stop" riff... except the FIRST time, where instead of the two-bar half of the first riff, it's just a single bar of F#. Or the first and second verses are the same, except that the second verse replaces 2 bars of F# with a second time through the 4-bar second riff. It's like Dave just had six different bits of music in mind and stream of consciousness bounced around between them randomly until the end.

Definitely a strong case for most unique.

Intro:
Riff v1 (4 bars) x2
Vamp on F# (8 bars)

Verse 1 (?):
Riff v1 x2
Riff v2 (the first half of Riff 1 + "this is the last stop" + a repeat of bar 2) (4 bars)
Vamp on F# (4 bars)
Riff v2
Vamp on F# (2 bars) "Raining tears"

Chorus 1 (?):
Vamp on E (2 bars) "Righteous"
Riff v3 (same as riff v1 until the last beat of the third bar, when it goes higher "...that you are the chosen") (4...and a half?! bars)
Vamp on F# (4 bars)

Verse 2 (?):
Riff v1 x2
Riff v2
Vamp on F# (4 bars)
Riff v2 x2 (?!)

Chorus 2 (?):
Vamp on F# (2 bars)
Vamp on E (2 bars) "Whyyy"
Riff v3

Bridge 1 (?):
1 bar of F# + Riff v4 ("This is the best stop") + 2 extra beats (2 and a half bars)
Break (2 bars) x3 "There's always..."
Then I guess "Jam pattern #1" - the later pattern under Roi's solo - for 2 bars

Bridge 2 (?):
The first half of riff v1 + riff v4 + 2 extra beats (3 and a half bars total)
Break (2 bars) x3
Jam pattern #1 (4 bars this time)

Chorus 3 (?):
Vamp on E (2 bars) "righteous"
Vamp on F# (2 bars)
Vamp on E (2 bars) "nailing good to a tree"
Vamp on F# (2 bars)
Vamp on E (2 bars) "whyyyy"
Riff v3
Vamp on F# (4 bars)

Bridge 3 (?):
The first half of riff v1 + riff v4 (again, 3 and a half bars)
Break (2 bars) x3

And then we sit on Jam pattern #1 for a long time, and I have never been able to figure out where, but at some point the song changes from 4/4 to 6/4...
...and changes key from that middle-eastern sounding version of F# (specifically F# phrygian dominant) to straight up F#major for Jam pattern #2. This happens unexpectedly underneath the solo - at some point, Dave starts doing the F#major chord progression while the rest of the band is still doing Jam pattern #1 and I have listened to this song and tried to figure out how this works, exactly, for more than 20 years and I still don't have it.
Thrawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 10:29 AM   #28020
patsfan39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrawn View Post
Last Stop is way more structurally bizarre than Nancies or Minarets; not sure what we mean by "unique" but Minarets just has a verse progression with an occasional break, and Nancies has pretty typical verse / chorus / break structure + a jam at the end on the verse progression with a small coda. Lots of those in pop music.

Last Stop is fucking weird. Look at this. There are no repeating patterns anywhere! I've tried to break it into pieces but nothing is the same as anything else. The two "verse"s aren't the same, the three "chorus"es aren't the same... structurally, the only time the same exact structure appears twice happens with the second and third bridges.

Weird shit. Like, every time we go into the bridge, we do half of the first riff followed by the "this is the last stop" riff... except the FIRST time, where instead of the two-bar half of the first riff, it's just a single bar of F#. Or the first and second verses are the same, except that the second verse replaces 2 bars of F# with a second time through the 4-bar second riff. It's like Dave just had six different bits of music in mind and stream of consciousness bounced around between them randomly until the end.

Definitely a strong case for most unique.

Intro:
Riff v1 (4 bars) x2
Vamp on F# (8 bars)

Verse 1 (?):
Riff v1 x2
Riff v2 (the first half of Riff 1 + "this is the last stop" + a repeat of bar 2) (4 bars)
Vamp on F# (4 bars)
Riff v2
Vamp on F# (2 bars) "Raining tears"

Chorus 1 (?):
Riff v3 (same as riff v1 until the last beat of the third bar, when it goes higher "...that you are the chosen") (4...and a half?! bars)
Vamp on F# (4 bars)

Verse 2 (?):
Riff v1 x2
Riff v2
Vamp on F# (4 bars)
Riff v2 x2 (?!)

Chorus 2 (?):
Vamp on F# (2 bars)
Vamp on E (2 bars) "Whyyy"
Riff v3

Bridge 1 (?):
1 bar of F# + Riff v4 ("This is the best stop") + 2 extra beats (2 and a half bars)
Break (2 bars) x3 "There's always..."
Then I guess "Jam pattern #1" - the later pattern under Roi's solo - for 2 bars

Bridge 2 (?):
The first half of riff v1 + riff v4 + 2 extra beats (3 and a half bars total)
Break (2 bars) x3
Jam pattern #1 (4 bars this time)

Chorus 3 (?):
Vamp on E (2 bars) "righteous"
Vamp on F# (2 bars)
Vamp on E (2 bars) "nailing good to a tree"
Vamp on F# (2 bars)
Vamp on E (2 bars) "whyyyy"
Riff v3
Vamp on F# (4 bars)

Bridge 3 (?):
The first half of riff v1 + riff v4 (again, 3 and a half bars)
Break (2 bars) x3

And then we sit on Jam pattern #1 for a long time, and I have never been able to figure out where, but at some point the song changes from 4/4 to 6/4...
...and changes key from that middle-eastern sounding version of F# (specifically F# phrygian dominant) to straight up F#major for Jam pattern #2. This happens unexpectedly underneath the solo - at some point, Dave starts doing the F#major chord progression while the rest of the band is still doing Jam pattern #1 and I have listened to this song and tried to figure out how this works, exactly, for more than 20 years and I still don't have it.
I think the changes in structure are very similar in a weird way to Rapunzel. One of the verses has more measures than the other. This is similar to that on steroids.

I also think thats why its so beautiful to me. Its just so complex and resolves so peacefully at the end. Its a perfect metaphor for the lyrics as well except the exact opposite. Hes saying war is not the way to peace, but then has an angry tirade and then ends on a beautiful note. Angry harsh war, leads to a peaceful life.

Its also similar to the Stone in that way to me. Very dark beginning that leads to a beautiful ending.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mersh View Post
bkdkbbkkddd

the letters he draws with his tongue.
patsfan39 is offline   Reply With Quote

These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc