These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 07-18-2020, 02:25 PM   #27041
dmb1981

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggies View Post
Sugar Will from '04 is the last time we truly saw all of DMB's best parts, that had meld together over all those years, come together and created something unique. After that year the band just ran from who they were supposed to be.
100% true. They created Sugar Will, insanely original, then took off from it and made Hunger.

You never know and Sugar will are the last greatest songs the band put together. Thereís been almost nothing unique since.
Old 07-18-2020, 02:59 PM   #27042
Thrawn
You can't take the sky from me

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmb1981 View Post
100% true. They created Sugar Will, insanely original, then took off from it and made Hunger.

You never know and Sugar will are the last greatest songs the band put together. Thereís been almost nothing unique since.
A Dream So Real, Bismarck, Shotgun, The Riff, Snow Outside, Drunken Soldier, Again & Again, Virginia in the Rain, She, Alligator Pie, Lying in the Hands of God, Beach Ball, Eh Hee, and Trouble With You aren't unique?
Thrawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 03:30 PM   #27043
willndmb

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmb1981 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrawn View Post
A Dream So Real, Bismarck, Shotgun, The Riff, Snow Outside, Drunken Soldier, Again & Again, Virginia in the Rain, She, Alligator Pie, Lying in the Hands of God, Beach Ball, Eh Hee, and Trouble With You aren't unique?
Sugar will is overrated imo but not as bad as some of these.
Unique, yes - good and enjoyable not all of them
willndmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 09:06 PM   #27044
sean52692
You failed this band

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomacco View Post
Jesus, I'm listening to Crush from 7/9/11 Chicago, and Boyd skreed and lost control of his bow at least 10 times during his solo.
Crush is better off 4.0.
While that may have been true, he still crushes that LIOG solo later that night.
Old 07-19-2020, 09:35 AM   #27045
dmb1981

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrawn View Post
Alligator Pie unique?? She unique?? Hands of god, eh hee, trouble with you, and snow outside, yes, great songs. Not unique like Sugar Will and YNK.
Old 07-19-2020, 10:24 AM   #27046
Thrawn
You can't take the sky from me

What other song in DMB's catalogue sounds like She? That song is super weird in the context of DMB's music. Like, the verse riff is in 9/4. The only other time Dave every played with timing in 9 is the chorus of Fool To Think, which I think most of us would agree is pretty unique. The textures of the heavy guitars and keyboards in the final solo are also singular in the catalogue.

Alligator Pie, too - the only time in the whole catalogue they play with tempo variation like that. The loose feel to the jams in that song don't sound like anything else in the catalogue to me.

Or do you just mean "songs that sound like DMB to me" when you mean unique? Like, distinctively DMB? So, within DMB's catalogue, the opposite of unique?
Thrawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 11:58 PM   #27047
DIDO36

It’s a shame LeRoi's last show is a pretty bad setlist, and also not a show that really features a ton of his playing IIRC.

I imagine if the drive in series is still going the week of 8/19 they will broadcast live trax 14. That would be cool, but I almost feel like a really great Roi show would be just as good if not better then live trax 14.
DIDO36 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 07:22 AM   #27048
Tomacco

6/28/08 is still an enjoyable show though because those performances of Cornbread, Dreaming Tree, ODH, YMDT, and SDL were all fresh and at their peak. IOY is good here too. Plus, the D&T Space Between is nice, and the debut of Sledgehammer is probably the best version.
But yes, Roi doesn’t have a moment to show off on his own the entire show.
Tomacco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 08:49 AM   #27049
.Gary.

Quote:
6/28/08 is still an enjoyable show though because those performances of Cornbread, Dreaming Tree, ODH, YMDT, and SDL were all fresh and at their peak. IOY is good here too. Plus, the D&T Space Between is nice, and the debut of Sledgehammer is probably the best version.
But yes, Roi doesnít have a moment to show off on his own the entire show.
If they did Hershey 04, that would be slick.
.Gary. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 08:51 AM   #27050
Tomacco

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Gary. View Post
If they did Hershey 04, that would be slick.
I have a feeling they won't duplicate years for the old shows. So, 2003, 04, 06, and 10 are off the table now. Just a hunch though.
They also haven't repeated venues/cities yet, which is interesting. If this is how they're choosing, then that eliminates a lot of Live Trax shows already.
The biggest venues have yet to be shown though - Gorge, Alpine, SPAC. So you gotta assume those are coming.

I feel like 6/1/13 at Blossom will be one of the next shows, since that year and venue haven't appeared yet. That, and 6/20/09 in Burgettstown.
Old 07-23-2020, 10:22 AM   #27051
Jayes
ISO Hello Again&Broken Things

Stuff That Doesn't Need Its Own Thread (DMBc Version)

I just realized that Iíll be flying on the anniversary of Roiís death and in the almost exact opposite direction that heíd flown days earlier. Weird.

Was that flight determined to be a contributing factor? Or did they rule out blood clot for pneumonia?
Jayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 03:24 PM   #27052
MaLaKaS
Moore Soul

Quote:
I have a feeling they won't duplicate years for the old shows. So, 2003, 04, 06, and 10 are off the table now. Just a hunch though.
They also haven't repeated venues/cities yet, which is interesting. If this is how they're choosing, then that eliminates a lot of Live Trax shows already.
The biggest venues have yet to be shown though - Gorge, Alpine, SPAC. So you gotta assume those are coming.

I feel like 6/1/13 at Blossom will be one of the next shows, since that year and venue haven't appeared yet. That, and 6/20/09 in Burgettstown.
That's an interesting observation. I didn't think of that.
MaLaKaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 11:35 AM   #27053
soups
bla bla bla sandwich

what is Belly Jelly?
soups is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 12:39 PM   #27054
blumathu

Knowing Dave I'm sure it's something sexual
blumathu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 02:12 PM   #27055
Tomacco

Quote:

Called it!
Old 07-24-2020, 02:37 PM   #27056
mario

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayes View Post
I just realized that Iíll be flying on the anniversary of Roiís death and in the almost exact opposite direction that heíd flown days earlier. Weird.

Was that flight determined to be a contributing factor? Or did they rule out blood clot for pneumonia?
I thought his lung collapsed from the combination of injuries and cabin pressure?
mario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 04:30 PM   #27057
Monk
Moore Soul

Stuff That Doesn't Need Its Own Thread (DMBc Version)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mario View Post
I thought his lung collapsed from the combination of injuries and cabin pressure?

He had a pulmonary embolism. Yes, long flights can increase risk for clots, but itís more due to the prolonged sitting and resulting lack of circulation.

http://dmbalmanac.com/Member.aspx?number=181

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoftMacho View Post
i get the feeling about 3% of the people in this thread have ever been laid
Monk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 06:03 PM   #27058
Josh.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
Fucking newb.
You heard everything before I did. Except Minarets.
tolerance noun (ACCEPTANCE)
willingness to accept behavior and beliefs that are different from your own, although you might not agree with or approve of them.
Josh.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 06:09 PM   #27059
Josh.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monk View Post
He had a pulmonary embolism. Yes, long flights can increase risk for clots, but it’s more due to the prolonged sitting and resulting lack of circulation.
Yeah, I had one because I tore one of my left calf muscles and was in a walking boot for months without taking blood thinners, along with Factor 5 Leiden. The immobility with the minor clotting disorder led to a massive clot behind my knee and it broke off and hit my lungs. I was lucky, Roi wasn’t. Mortality is high, he shouldn’t have been sitting that long right after that accident.

I heard from a fairly connected person there were some addiction issues that led to an early self-discharge and then the subsequent flight, but that’s hearsay and I have nothing to back it up. When Dave said Roi didn’t always love himself, I took it as a reference to that.

I don’t believe I’ve ever shared that on this board, but it’s been 12 years and given what we now know about Boyd, why not share it at this point.
tolerance noun (ACCEPTANCE)
willingness to accept behavior and beliefs that are different from your own, although you might not agree with or approve of them.
Josh.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 06:19 PM   #27060
gweeps
homesick android

Who did this again?

These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc