These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Overall, eliminating circumstantial bias, do you like Everyday?
Yes 91 56.88%
No 69 43.13%
Voters: 160. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-09-2021, 04:49 PM   #161
dmb1981

BTCS: 10/10
Crash: 9.5/10
UTTAD: 9/10
LWS: 8/10
Busted Stuff: 7.5/10
Big Whiskey: 7/10
AFTW: 6.5/10
Everyday: 6/10
Come Tomorrow: 5/10
SU: 2/10
Old 03-10-2021, 07:49 AM   #162
C.S.
Some who call me... Tim?

While there are a few songs that have stood the test of time, Everyday will always be the band's worst album for me, far below Stand Up even. I just can't stand the production. It's too glossy, too artificial, and too much Glen Ballard.

Stand Up has its flaws for sure, but I can appreciate that the band was at least honestly trying something different. Everyday is different all right, but in the worst way possible. It is so clearly a sellout album that it blows my mind how anyone that was a fan before it came out could like it.
Old 03-10-2021, 08:42 AM   #163
Steveo Style

I’ll play:

UTTAD: 8.5/10
Crash: 9/10
BTCS: 9/10
ED: 5/10
BS: 8/10
SU: 1/10
BW: 7/10
AFTW: 7/10
CT: 5/10
Steveo Style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 08:45 AM   #164
soups
bla bla bla sandwich

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.S. View Post
While there are a few songs that have stood the test of time, Everyday will always be the band's worst album for me, far below Stand Up even. I just can't stand the production. It's too glossy, too artificial, and too much Glen Ballard.

Stand Up has its flaws for sure, but I can appreciate that the band was at least honestly trying something different. Everyday is different all right, but in the worst way possible. It is so clearly a sellout album that it blows my mind how anyone that was a fan before it came out could like it.
Stand up is both terrible from a production and a songwriting phase. Hell, even the vocal performances are terrible. It has no redeeming qualities.

I was a die-hard when Everyday came out. It was hard to swallow but it wasn't the end for me, and the songs were both listenable and were quickly backed up by the release of Busted Stuff, which showed that DMB still liked those songs, they were just going through growing pains. When Stand Up came out it signaled to me that they were abandoning themselves again (the 04 songs were eschewed for pseudo-hip hop garbage).
soups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 09:48 AM   #165
pepelapag
You're Fuckin' Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.S. View Post

I think this was part of the earlier conversation, in that some fans, like me, “hate” ED because of what it represents, which is the end of DMB as we knew it. But that aside, as a stand-alone record, it’s pretty solid. SU is just flat out garbage with one decent track in Hello Again. (And I call it decent bc of the way it sounds on the record, the song itself is great)
Old 03-10-2021, 09:51 AM   #166
Tomacco

I don't even think Hello Again on SU sounds that good. The studio tracks that, at least in terms of how they sound, that get a pass from me on SU are American Baby, Dreamgirl... hmm... that might be it.
Tomacco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 10:09 AM   #167
pepelapag
You're Fuckin' Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomacco View Post
I don't even think Hello Again on SU sounds that good. The studio tracks that, at least in terms of how they sound, that get a pass from me on SU are American Baby, Dreamgirl... hmm... that might be it.
I forgot about AB. Itís a great song and probably the best thing on the album.
Old 03-10-2021, 10:12 AM   #168
Tomacco

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepelapag View Post
I forgot about AB. Itís a great song and probably the best thing on the album.
I wouldn't call it a great song. It's below average as far as the DMB catalogue is concerned, and I would say about average for DMB 2005 onward. I remember when it came out I was kind of worried about the album based on that, but held the mindset of "well, the single is usually one of the worst songs on the album."
Old 03-10-2021, 10:54 AM   #169
mja271

Honestly I wouldn't miss like 75% of the music they have produced from 2005 onward if it just magically disappeared. They've been a completely mediocre band from a songwriting standpoint since SU was released. I liked BW and AFTW well enough but having the benefit of some distance from those records I really don't think there's too much stuff on there that stands out as being better than just pretty good. CT I only listened to a couple of times but it felt very patchwork to me. They had a chance to rebound from Everyday with the 2004 songs and they went the opposite direction and dropped the turd that is SU unfortunately. I don't think any of the last 4 records are ones that I would give much consideration to if I wasn't a fan of the band. They're just not that memorable, and in the case of SU, very awful.
Quote:
Originally Posted by celluloid hero View Post
This is the most absurd post I've ever made on a message board.
mja271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 11:25 AM   #170
Tomacco

There aren't many post-05 songs I'd miss if they disappeared. But then again, time plays a factor. We've been overexposed to a bunch of those songs for years now. For example, I don't need to see Why I Am, FTWII, Seven, Rooftop, SamCop, LITHOG, Here on Out, Again & Again, or Do You Remember again anytime soon, even though I like those songs. Just seen them more than enough the last few years.

But I'd genuinely be happy to get (for example) Eh Hee, Come On Come On, Old Dirt Hill, Spaceman, Broken Things, Belly Belly Nice, If Only, and Snow Outside because I like them enough, and I haven't seen them live in ages.
Old 03-10-2021, 01:10 PM   #171
Josh.0

Yeah, I think the band stubbornly thought if they kept playing the shit out of post-Busted Stuff songs we’d eventually “come around to them.”

We didn’t. We just came to hate them more.

Case in point: I was pretty excited to hear SMLAM’s debut at SPAC. Cool little moment, even if I didn’t love the song.

Then they proceeded to play the shit out of it throughout the rest of 2009, 2010 and then a fair amount from 2012-2015. Now I can’t bear to hear the song live for a second, it’s like nails on a chalkboard to me. It’s obnoxious, over-stuffed, and really not interesting musically in anyway whatsoever. It would’ve been a decently fun song for a year or two, maybe every few shows...but instead they crammed it into a shitload of sets for years and absolutely refused to let it go. It’s a very predictable song structurally in the live environment and they allowed that repetitive nonsense to take set list space from songs that have much more room for exploration.

Same with Grey Street. We should love that song. We DID love that song...until they sledgehammered the fuck out of us with it.
tolerance noun (ACCEPTANCE)
willingness to accept behavior and beliefs that are different from your own, although you might not agree with or approve of them.
Josh.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 01:40 PM   #172
Tomacco

I feel the same about Shake Me, Seven and WIA. I like them all, but just heard them way too many times live.
Old 03-10-2021, 01:43 PM   #173
patsfan39

Quote:
There aren't many post-05 songs I'd miss if they disappeared. But then again, time plays a factor. We've been overexposed to a bunch of those songs for years now. For example, I don't need to see Why I Am, FTWII, Seven, Rooftop, SamCop, LITHOG, Here on Out, Again & Again, or Do You Remember again anytime soon, even though I like those songs. Just seen them more than enough the last few years.

But I'd genuinely be happy to get (for example) Eh Hee, Come On Come On, Old Dirt Hill, Spaceman, Broken Things, Belly Belly Nice, If Only, and Snow Outside because I like them enough, and I haven't seen them live in ages.
Im good on never seeing Belly Belly Nice and If Only again. I agree with the rest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mersh View Post
bkdkbbkkddd

the letters he draws with his tongue.
patsfan39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 01:54 PM   #174
Tomacco

Quote:
Originally Posted by patsfan39 View Post
Im good on never seeing Belly Belly Nice and If Only again. I agree with the rest.
I saw those two songs a lot from 2012-2014, but that's it. And that was already 8-10 years ago, so happy to have them come back.
Old 03-10-2021, 02:09 PM   #175
mja271

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh.0 View Post
Yeah, I think the band stubbornly thought if they kept playing the shit out of post-Busted Stuff songs weíd eventually ďcome around to them.Ē

We didnít. We just came to hate them more.

Case in point: I was pretty excited to hear SMLAMís debut at SPAC. Cool little moment, even if I didnít love the song.

Then they proceeded to play the shit out of it throughout the rest of 2009, 2010 and then a fair amount from 2012-2015. Now I canít bear to hear the song live for a second, itís like nails on a chalkboard to me. Itís obnoxious, over-stuffed, and really not interesting musically in anyway whatsoever. It wouldíve been a decently fun song for a year or two, maybe every few shows...but instead they crammed it into a shitload of sets for years and absolutely refused to let it go. Itís a very predictable song structurally in the live environment and they allowed that repetitive nonsense to take set list space from songs that have much more room for exploration.

Same with Grey Street. We should love that song. We DID love that song...until they sledgehammered the fuck out of us with it.
I've personally never been a big fan of "album" tours when a band has more than 4/5 albums. Playing upwards of 9 songs a night from a new record at that point is just annoying to me. Would've definitely not soured on BW stuff live as much if they rotated through the tunes and each night had around say 4 songs from that record a night. At that point the band had 6 albums and a number of unreleased live tunes, yet the show each night was anywhere from a third to half new material. It's just disengaging imo. That's digging into a whole other issue I have with DMB but is tangentially related I feel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by celluloid hero View Post
This is the most absurd post I've ever made on a message board.
mja271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 02:31 PM   #176
patsfan39

Quote:
I saw those two songs a lot from 2012-2014, but that's it. And that was already 8-10 years ago, so happy to have them come back.
Youre lucky. I saw BBN in 2016 and If Only in 2016 and 2018 as well.

On a similar note, it had been a couple years since i had seen seven and when i heard it again in 2019 i actually enjoyed it. (it had been since 2016 for me). It just goes to show you the good ones just need a break.

Quote:
bkdkbbkkddd

Old 03-10-2021, 05:24 PM   #177
Tomacco

Quote:
Originally Posted by patsfan39 View Post
Youre lucky. I saw BBN in 2016 and If Only in 2016 and 2018 as well.

On a similar note, it had been a couple years since i had seen seven and when i heard it again in 2019 i actually enjoyed it. (it had been since 2016 for me). It just goes to show you the good ones just need a break.
If Only wasn't played in 2018 (I know because I've been curious to hear it with Buddy, but hasn't happened yet).

You did remind me though that I heard BBN twice in 2016. Wait, I also saw it once in 2015. Clearly I don't know what I'm talking about, haha. Feels like I haven't seen it in ages.
Old 03-10-2021, 08:53 PM   #178
The Godfather
Chartz

I absolutely hated this album when it came out, but in 20 years later... its okay. I do like STDH, WYA and SR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
So much dmb >
Anyone seen the dmb >
Too Much dmb
The Godfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 11:26 PM   #179
patsfan39

Quote:
If Only wasn't played in 2018 (I know because I've been curious to hear it with Buddy, but hasn't happened yet).

You did remind me though that I heard BBN twice in 2016. Wait, I also saw it once in 2015. Clearly I don't know what I'm talking about, haha. Feels like I haven't seen it in ages.
Whoops. I flipped the dates. BBN in 16 and 18 and if only in 16 (I think last year played)

And fine I agree there is some intrigue to seeing if only with buddy but I’m also fine hearing that on a tape. It just drags at a live show.

Quote:
bkdkbbkkddd

Old 03-11-2021, 08:56 PM   #180
sean52692
You failed this band

They don't' call 'em the Big 3 for nothing.

BTCS 10/10
UTTAD 10/10
Crash 9.5/10
RTT 9/10
LWS 9/10
Some Devil 8.5/10
Busted Stuff 8/10
BWGK 7.5/10
AFTW 7.5/10
CT 5/10
Everyday 2/10
Stand Up .5/10