These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Overall, eliminating circumstantial bias, do you like Everyday?
Yes 91 56.88%
No 69 43.13%
Voters: 160. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-01-2021, 03:46 AM   #121
NiCK (Crush)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mersh View Post
SU is a much worse album than ED. ED was a much bigger let down/change.
Definitely.
Old 03-01-2021, 11:55 PM   #122
pepelapag
You're Fuckin' Out

This thread inspired me to listen to ED from top to bottom, something I haven’t done in nearly 20 years, and I truly think Boyd is nowhere to be found on the album with the exception of Everyday. Can anyone find him anywhere else? I’m sure he’s buried in the background, but I can’t distinctly hear him anywhere on the record
Old 03-02-2021, 12:20 AM   #123
greykitkat36

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepelapag View Post
This thread inspired me to listen to ED from top to bottom, something I havenít done in nearly 20 years, and I truly think Boyd is nowhere to be found on the album with the exception of Everyday. Can anyone find him anywhere else? Iím sure heís buried in the background, but I canít distinctly hear him anywhere on the record
He has that great rap in IDI youíre right though, heís pretty much inaudible/mixed very low on almost the entire album...in a way ED sounds more like 4.0 than any of their other albums in that regard.

ED isnít a bad album at all, but itís not a great album either by any stretch. Itís as average and ďmehĒ as it gets pretty much. Luckily a good chunk of the songs really evolved and became great live tunes. I would take any ED song live these days over a huge chunk of post SU.
Old 03-02-2021, 09:07 AM   #124
dmb1981

Quote:
Originally Posted by greykitkat36 View Post
He has that great rap in IDI youíre right though, heís pretty much inaudible/mixed very low on almost the entire album...in a way ED sounds more like 4.0 than any of their other albums in that regard.

ED isnít a bad album at all, but itís not a great album either by any stretch. Itís as average and ďmehĒ as it gets pretty much. Luckily a good chunk of the songs really evolved and became great live tunes. I would take any ED song live these days over a huge chunk of post SU.
Aside from Space Between and IDI, I agree 100%.
Old 03-02-2021, 11:31 AM   #125
Thrawn
You can't take the sky from me

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepelapag View Post
This thread inspired me to listen to ED from top to bottom, something I havenít done in nearly 20 years, and I truly think Boyd is nowhere to be found on the album with the exception of Everyday. Can anyone find him anywhere else? Iím sure heís buried in the background, but I canít distinctly hear him anywhere on the record
Everyday and those descending lines in Fool To Think and that's about it, yeah.
Thrawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 11:33 AM   #126
mattinmass
heady

Quote:
Well put
mattinmass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 12:28 PM   #127
.Gary.

Cheesy, 80's driven synth songs with stupid ass lyrics.

This album still sucks and while it's not as bad as Stand Up, this speaks more about the band than the album itself.
.Gary. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 03:58 PM   #128
mja271

Quote:
Yep spot on. I haven't listened to ED in forever and don't plan to but it at least sounds like something that was competently put together as opposed to whatever the hell Stand Up is. However, contextually in the band's history ED kind of changed things forever, and not for the better. Up until that point they hadn't really released anything bad, certainly not an entire piece of work. And for it to be in such stark contrast to what they were known/successful for is a bummer.

Wasn't a fan of the band at the time and I can only imagine how horrified my reaction on my first listen to ED would've been
Quote:
Originally Posted by celluloid hero View Post
This is the most absurd post I've ever made on a message board.
mja271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 04:03 PM   #129
greykitkat36

I think SU for me was still a bigger letdown than ED. After putting out Busted Stuff and roadtesting those great '04 songs, hearing clips from the SU sessions that sounded really promising and then to get what we got....a terribly produced mish-mosh album with machine gun effects, terrible drum sounds, scratchy vocals with terrible lyrics...I literally was totally stunned when that happened. I remember rushing to Target to buy the CD when it came out when I got out of school, popped it in and was literally so god damn disappointed.
Old 03-04-2021, 04:05 PM   #130
dmb1981

Quote:
Originally Posted by greykitkat36 View Post
I think SU for me was still a bigger letdown than ED. After putting out Busted Stuff and roadtesting those great '04 songs, hearing clips from the SU sessions that sounded really promising and then to get what we got....a terribly produced mish-mosh album with machine gun effects, terrible drum sounds, scratchy vocals with terrible lyrics...I literally was totally stunned when that happened. I remember rushing to Target to buy the CD when it came out when I got out of school, popped it in and was literally so god damn disappointed.
Everyday I was shocked. Stand up I was embarrassed and disappointed beyond belief.
Old 03-04-2021, 05:49 PM   #131
pepelapag
You're Fuckin' Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmb1981 View Post
Everyday I was shocked. Stand up I was embarrassed and disappointed beyond belief.
And Iím sure it doesnít dissuade the band from releasing albums like ED and SU when they are generally more well reviewed than the big 3. Hereís rolling stone from its 3.5 star review of Stand Up:

ďStand Up is the sound of a veteran outfit navigating between jammy mojo and pop-wise charm.Ē
Old 03-04-2021, 06:47 PM   #132
roshea999
Now that's Oldstyle

The fuck does that even mean? Music reviews are so damn pretentious.
roshea999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 06:57 PM   #133
Steveo Style

A- review of Stand Up from Entertainment Weekly

[Only registered users can see links.]
Steveo Style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 07:39 PM   #134
roshea999
Now that's Oldstyle

Grander-sounding and more ambitious than Some Devil, Matthews’ reflective 2003 solo effort, Stand Up is brimming with potential singles.

roshea999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 07:41 PM   #135
Mersh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveo Style View Post
A- review of Stand Up from Entertainment Weekly

[Only registered users can see links.]
The follow up the the D (I think) they gave BTCS.
Mersh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 11:09 AM   #136
pepelapag
You're Fuckin' Out

The “jam band style” is always what put off mainstream reviewers. They all tend to think the lengthy jams are self indulgent, meandering and boring. I’m sure that’s one of the reasons why they prefer ED, SU, etc, because the tunes are “tighter”, which for whatever reason they associate with a higher level of professionalism. As far as albums go, it seems like DMB doesn’t totally disagree with the reviewers, hence, “we have charts!”
Old 03-05-2021, 03:41 PM   #137
soups
bla bla bla sandwich

We saw what a good collection of songs Everyday was in the years afterward when they were allowed to become Dave Matthews Band songs. They started out much like old DMB songs - with Dave writing and imagining them. The only difference is that they were released without having the opportunity to have the band develop them. As time went on, many of the ED songs became excellent live staples, with a few exceptions.
soups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 05:08 PM   #138
Tomacco

Yeah, weirdly enough, the only ED song that annoys me when it pops up at shows now is Everyday, and that's just because it's so overplayed. In 2015, I actually enjoyed I Did It in a sick way.
It was this performance actually:

Tomacco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 05:11 PM   #139
pepelapag
You're Fuckin' Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by soups View Post
We saw what a good collection of songs Everyday was in the years afterward when they were allowed to become Dave Matthews Band songs. They started out much like old DMB songs - with Dave writing and imagining them. The only difference is that they were released without having the opportunity to have the band develop them. As time went on, many of the ED songs became excellent live staples, with a few exceptions.
This is why I wish the band would take the same approach in the studio as they do live. Even a few SU songs have developed into good live songs.
Old 03-06-2021, 03:59 AM   #140
DIDO36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomacco View Post
Yeah, weirdly enough, the only ED song that annoys me when it pops up at shows now is Everyday, and that's just because it's so overplayed. In 2015, I actually enjoyed I Did It in a sick way.
It was this performance actually:

I did it is an awesome guitar lick, and it sounds great on that baritone guitar. Lyrically it’s embarrassing, hard to imagine the same guy wrote Seek Up about 10 year prior. With that said, I would take it over shake me, cornbread, TGIY, You and Me, seven or whatever meh song they beat into the ground.
DIDO36 is offline   Reply With Quote

These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc