These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Overall, eliminating circumstantial bias, do you like Everyday?
Yes 91 56.88%
No 69 43.13%
Voters: 160. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-22-2007, 03:30 PM   #81
Mersh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan#41 View Post
I think there's a comparison thing going on here too. We're still riding the heels off of SU and the constant discussions going on surrounding that album and process. I think this is more a 'lesser of two evils' type deal.
Yeah, I am sure that is part of it, but I still don't think either of them are good albums. One compared to the other, eh...maybe.
Mersh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 03:31 PM   #82
Mersh

I like Fool To Think...always have.
Mersh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 03:31 PM   #83
malachite00

Everyday is not good compared with earlier DMB albums, but I do find it more entertaining than most stuff out there. I was a huge DMB fan from 95-98. I stopped listening when I couldn't get into BTCS. I started listening again shortly after Everyday was released and totally fell in love with them again. Its nothing compared to the earlier stuff and BS, but the songs are generally fun to hear.

I can't even listen to Stand Up. I don't mind some of the songs live (LB, ABI are fine, Hello Again is fantastic), but I don't think I've put the CD in since 2 weeks after buying it.
Old 01-22-2007, 03:36 PM   #84
Fan#41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mersh View Post
I think my favorites, when it first came out, were So Right, Space Between and Dreams Of Our Fathers. I absolutely hated Everyday(the song) when I first heard it. I guess it was pretty much out of resentment due to the fact that I figured I'd never see nor hear #36 again.
Fan#41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 03:37 PM   #85
bsan83
4, 3, 2, 1....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mersh View Post
I thought it was awful until '02. Was confused as all hell when they brought it out that year until I heard how much better it sounded without the ladies and Carter, 'Roi, and Dave really tearing into the breakdown.
bsan83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 03:37 PM   #86
CRUSHsoccer15

Stand Up is painful to listen to at this point. With how much the songs have changed (improved) in the live setting and how glaringly poor the production is, it is really hard to listen to.

Everyday, on the other hand, the songs are mostly in the exact same form live, therefore you are more likely to listen to the studio album.

I think all of these things people are saying factor into these poll results.
Old 01-22-2007, 03:38 PM   #87
bsan83
4, 3, 2, 1....

Quote:
I think my favorites, when it first came out, were So Right, Space Between and Dreams Of Our Fathers. I absolutely hated Everyday(the song) when I first heard it. I guess it was pretty much out of resentment due to the fact that I figured I'd never see nor hear #36 again.
So Right and When the World Ends were easily mine. Probably still are, to be honest, though Fool to Think and Everyday joined them in '02.
bsan83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 03:42 PM   #88
FishMonkeyMan

anyone else still hoping to see dreams of our fathers pop up live one of these days?

i honestly really thought at some point by now it would have, specifically during the dave and friends tour after sweet up and down. it seemed the biggest problem was singing and playing at the same time, and with tim and trey it could have worked.
FishMonkeyMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 03:45 PM   #89
Fan#41

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishMonkeyMan View Post
anyone else still hoping to see dreams of our fathers pop up live one of these days?

i honestly really thought at some point by now it would have, specifically during the dave and friends tour after sweet up and down. it seemed the biggest problem was singing and playing at the same time, and with tim and trey it could have worked.
I think it'd be interesting to see, but I think the way it was put together in the studio is the reason I love it so much. I mean, it's pretty obvious that it would be a pretty tough song to replicate live because of the vocal arrangement which is still one the most unique he's ever laid down, but it'd be cool to see 'em try it a few times.
Fan#41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 03:47 PM   #90
FishMonkeyMan

Quote:
I think it'd be interesting to see, but I think the way it was put together in the studio is the reason I love it so much. I mean, it's pretty obvious that it would be a pretty tough song to replicate live because of the vocal arrangement which is still one the most unique he's ever laid down, but it'd be cool to see 'em try it a few times.
i mean you are right the studio version is really good, but, i never listen to the studio album (i barely listen to the ones i think are well done) so i haven't heard the song at all in like 2 years.
FishMonkeyMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 04:01 PM   #91
snyddogg430
let's go devils

Haven't bothered to read the whole thread, but here's my view.

The album isn't that bad. But seeing as it comes from DMB, it's automatically going to be compared to their other albums. Which is why I can't say I like Everyday. If I'm going to listen to DMB, I'm going to listen to what I like from them, not what I don't. I could listen to another band's music that is somewhat decent, but why not listen to what you really like rather than what you tolerate. There is enough music that I like more than Everyday so that it's not in my repetoire.
snyddogg430 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 06:55 PM   #92
seekup19
DMBML Crack Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
with the same results.

I find it very amusing that everyone is saying how much better everyday is than stand up. The only difference between the two is that your ears have had five more years to tolerate everyday. In my mind, and it's not really close, Stand Up is a better album.
No. Everyday at least is finished, it has direction, it has polish (even if it's turbo glossy). It shows effort and careful consideration. Stand Up seems cobbled together. I think many of the songs are weaker in structure and meaning. I'm not knocking Stand Up, because some of those songs I really like, but as an album, I think Everyday is a pretty good record. I don't think it's a B effort at all.

I think your problem with Everyday is that it's not what you expected from DMB. Which is fine. But my question asked you to put that aside and evaluate the album objectively. To me, it'll never be in the same pile as UTTAD or Crash, but I think it's still very, very good in a very different direction.
seekup19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 06:58 PM   #93
seekup19
DMBML Crack Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerwin View Post
yah i never thought i would see the day for praises for everyday.

there was MUCH more heat for everyday when it came out than any other album. It even recived critical demise. a lot of C and D grades from reviewers.

Stand Up even recieved an A from entertainment weekly and Rolling stone. at that point hell should freeze over.
These two magazines totally ripped BTCS to shreds. Not really credible. Most reviews of Everyday were exceedingly positive, which drove us all crazy because DMB never used to get good reviews, and to us that indicated a change.

You could also point out that allmusic only gave Stand Up 2 stars, the lowest for any DMB or DMB member's solo records yet. I felt their review was fairly spot on.

Either way, they're just somebody else's opinion. But you guys are trashing Everyday because it's not "DMB" to you, but that's not what we're discussing. I think Everyday is a good record if you look at it objectively.
Old 01-22-2007, 07:02 PM   #94
seekup19
DMBML Crack Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggies View Post
exactly, such a shame.
You don't have to take a sworn statement to vehemently bash Everyday to be a member of the "old school" fanbase. I certainly didn't.
Old 01-22-2007, 07:02 PM   #95
seekup19
DMBML Crack Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phan View Post
man, 1st the attack on me, now this thread
what a worthless poster
i never attacked you.

ps: your avatar is hysterical, i'd forgotten about that
Old 01-22-2007, 07:06 PM   #96
seekup19
DMBML Crack Monkey

Quote:
See, I hated Space Between with a passion, but I loved the other two. And Fool To Think.
Old 01-22-2007, 07:35 PM   #97
Bswartz95
Go Browns!

I'm shocked at how many people voted Everyday as "good". Like a few people have said already, I can tolerate two or three songs from this album, but as a whole, there is no way I could consider it "good".

What I wouldn't give to hear #36 again.
Old 01-22-2007, 08:45 PM   #98
Minarets
so damn interesting.

i honestly think for everyone (not literally everyone) who hated Everyday and now has come to like it will do the same with stand Up over time.

Stand Up, while still very different from "traditional DMB" but it s way more DMB then Everyday. Everyday is as DMB as Some Devil. its Dave with studio musicians. Stand Up still has a DMB vive to it, jut not one we are used or had been used to hearing, imo
Old 01-22-2007, 08:46 PM   #99
Ledge
All Hail The Mighty Zep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minarets View Post
i honestly think for everyone (not literally everyone) who hated Everyday and now has come to like it will do the same with stand Up over time.

Stand Up, while still very different from "traditional DMB" but it s way more DMB then Everyday. Everyday is as DMB as Some Devil. its Dave with studio musicians. Stand Up still has a DMB vive to it, jut not one we are used or had been used to hearing, imo
But as has been said, we've seen how much better the Stand Up songs have become over time. That being said, it just shows the lack of effort and time that was put into them while they were in the studio. Thus, I don't think there will be as much of a coming around for SU as there has been for ED.
Ledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 10:17 PM   #100
Minarets
so damn interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledge View Post
But as has been said, we've seen how much better the Stand Up songs have become over time. That being said, it just shows the lack of effort and time that was put into them while they were in the studio. Thus, I don't think there will be as much of a coming around for SU as there has been for ED.

but it isnt as if the whole band spent quality time in the studio for Everyday. i dont see how that makes ED better then SU.

These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc